New "Remastered Box Set" Information

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:13 am

Second Season boxset is coming out on 5/22/2007 according to Navarre's dating catalogs.

UPC Code- 704400022364
$49.98 MSRP
the 'official' title of the box is simply 'DRAGON BALL Z - SEASON 2'

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:01 am

I wonder why the price is so different then the season one. Maybe FUNI is including the Frieza saga as well? :?
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:10 am

BrollysKin wrote:I wonder why the price is so different then the season one. Maybe FUNI is including the Freeza saga as well? :?
Actually, this is the same retail price as Season 1. It's just cheaper online everywhere right now.

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:33 am

godofchaos wrote:Second Season boxset is coming out on 5/22/2007 according to Navarre's dating catalogs.

UPC Code- 704400022364
$49.98 MSRP
the 'official' title of the box is simply 'DRAGON BALL Z - SEASON 2'
3 and a half month period between the first and second seasons? damn them ><

I believe this second set is the rest of the namek saga, and all of the ginyu saga... so I guess it's not too bad a wait.... for the people actually buying it :lol:

I personally won't buy these... but I want too... so when VegettoEX buys it and says its worth it, then I think I may buy it... maybe ;)
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

jwimz
Beyond Newbie

Post by jwimz » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:53 am

For me it is a easy buy. I don't own the series on DVD or VHS and haven't watched the show since it first aired on CN, so this will be a convenient and cheap way to pick up the entire series, plus the fact that the quality of the video should be the best we've seen (for those of us not lucky enough to see the Dragonbox), nevermind the "widescreen" format. I'm equally as frustrated as some of you are about Funimation side-stepping the issue, but that doesn't mean that I'll boycott this set.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:59 am

jwimz wrote:For me it is a easy buy. I don't own the series on DVD or VHS and haven't watched the show since it first aired on CN, so this will be a convenient and cheap way to pick up the entire series, plus the fact that the quality of the video should be the best we've seen (for those of us not lucky enough to see the Dragonbox), nevermind the "widescreen" format. I'm equally as frustrated as some of you are about Funimation side-stepping the issue, but that doesn't mean that I'll boycott this set.
I feel the exact same way. I haven't bought any FUNimation disc except for the first two Broli movies, so I'll definitely be picking this set up. It's only 20 bucks plus some shipping, so I won't be turning my wallet into some desolate wasteland. The widescreen issue ticks me off quite a bit, but I'm sure that FUNimation will come out with a 4:3 release eventually. So this should hold me down for now.

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:59 am

jwimz wrote:For me it is a easy buy. I don't own the series on DVD or VHS and haven't watched the show since it first aired on CN, so this will be a convenient and cheap way to pick up the entire series, plus the fact that the quality of the video should be the best we've seen (for those of us not lucky enough to see the Dragonbox), nevermind the "widescreen" format. I'm equally as frustrated as some of you are about Funimation side-stepping the issue, but that doesn't mean that I'll boycott this set.
I don't own anything either, I own some Buu and Fusion Saga vhs, and that's it... so these sets are like a godsend for me, but I want to know what they are like before I go and buy one, I honestly despise this whole widescreen bullshit... it's just not even cool to say that it's in widescreen all of a sudden.

So I still think there's time to change it to THE way it was meant to be seen, and thats in fullscreen. But with the fact that FUNimation most likely won't change anything, I'm going to wait for a review before I make the desicion to pick up any of these sets.
Last edited by nathantheguitarist on Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:03 am

Cool, I hope the second box set really does get released in May. *waits for pre-order opportunity*.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:53 am

fps_anth wrote:Cool, I hope the second box set really does get released in May. *waits for pre-order opportunity*.
You and me both. If this is true and the season sets develop a 3 month trend, then we can have the entire series in consistent season sets within a year and a half, give or take depending on the amount of sets. This is definitely good news for me. :D

And awesome find, GoC!
Last edited by Conan the SSJ on Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
14 years later

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:54 am

well... 2 years. i figure 7 or 8 sets... but that's just me :lol:

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:48 am

Hm. Well, I definitely plan on buying Dragonbox singles. No question about that.

However, I just went back and found myself actually enjoying the super-edited FUNi dub of seasons 1 and 2 within the past few days. I also actually somewhat enjoy the dubbing of Final Bout (scary, eh?). So, if I can enjoy that, I can also enjoy this.

Sure, I'll continue importing, but I might as well buy the domestic releases with how cheap they are.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:01 am

Kendamu wrote:Hm. Well, I definitely plan on buying Dragonbox singles. No question about that.

However, I just went back and found myself actually enjoying the super-edited FUNi dub of seasons 1 and 2 within the past few days. I also actually somewhat enjoy the dubbing of Final Bout (scary, eh?). So, if I can enjoy that, I can also enjoy this.

Sure, I'll continue importing, but I might as well buy the domestic releases with how cheap they are.
"Now, shall I clean the trash of the universe?"
~Piccolo, "Dragonball Final Bout"

Scary indeed...

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:55 am

Well, I'm enjoying it more in that "I enjoy badly-dubbed Godzilla movies" kind of way.

Speaking of dubbing, I went back and watched the first episode FUNi ever dubbed without Ocean today. For some reason it doesn't seem as shocking and hate-inspiring as it did when I was about 14 or 15. There's still a lot of room for improvement, though. Hopefully improvements will be done to those first episodes when that set hits shelves. At the very least, at least I'll be able to stand the dub 100 times better with Japanese music as the music was my biggest gripe by far back when Fulconer took over.

It's the same with Final Bout, I think. The voices are weird and the script sucks (as you pointed out) but the Japanese in-game music was left in and really makes up for a lot of that in my eyes!
(they/she)

Mystery Person X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystery Person X » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:48 am

nathantheguitarist wrote:3 and a half month period between the first and second seasons? damn them ><
~40 episodes every 3 and a half months = a VERY fast release schedule, by both anime standards and US-TV-shows-on-DVD standards.

Also, note that a FUNi representative at AoD has said that this and other dates people found on Navarre's site are from a very early release schedule, and not final at all. They were put online by accident.

Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:46 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:
Kendamu wrote:Hm. Well, I definitely plan on buying Dragonbox singles. No question about that.

"Now, shall I clean the trash of the universe?"
~Piccolo, "Dragonball Final Bout"

Scary indeed...
I was just getting ready to say that.

Gokuden553
Banned

Post by Gokuden553 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:46 pm

ect5150 wrote:
These look like bootleg images to me though (i.e. those AHQ videos that are out there. You can tell from the colors, the subtitle text via image 4 and the resolution, full DVD images 720 x 480 or 640 x 480 for aspect correction). I've a few of those eps on my hard drive as well as I buy the real versions, but they don't make well for comparing the real thing as those eps have had the colors altered before they encoded them.

The actual DVDs look like the 16mm scans DBW posted in the post I linked to earlier.

EDIT:

I know bootleg discussions really are supposed to appear here, but here is the bootleg version of the KamehameHa Goku is charging from the Saiyan fight from the popular bootlegs out there, and then I'm posting the same shot from the DragonBox. You can tell they altered the colors.

Sorry i didn't bother to change the aspect on my DragonBox image, but its because I yanked it a while back. Notice the red on Goku's chest. There are better examples in other scenes though, esp. looking at Piccolo in some of the earlier eps.
Wow these AHQ encodes that you are talking about seem like something Funimation should have done, the amount of grain they removed is incredible yet I can tell a few colours have been altered in the progress but this actually looks like what a perfect quality DBZ episode should look like... no wonder so many people say that their encodes are amazing quality.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:56 pm

Gokuden553 wrote:Wow these AHQ encodes that you are talking about seem like something Funimation should have done, the amount of grain they removed is incredible yet I can tell a few colours have been altered in the progress but this actually looks like what a perfect quality DBZ episode should look like... no wonder so many people say that their encodes are amazing quality.
They really aren't good at all. The colors are still altered, no matter how insignificant it may seem. And while the screen caps look nice, when there's actual video in motion their encodes look like crap. They are nowhere near "perfect encodes."

Gouki*
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gouki* » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:12 am

Just in case it wasn't known, as Madman denied it previously, this will be released in Australia. Here's the press release, taken from Madman Entertainment's own boards, posted by Slykura.
Hi Dragon Ball Z,

SURPRISE! We would like to formally announce that we will be redoing the entire Dragon Ball Z series again, presenting them in the newly remastered widescreen format as announced recently by Funimation.

WHAT? - Yes, you heard it right, after some careful consideration and forward planning, we have decided that in order to hopefully in the long run lessen the confusion of the DVD Release of Dragon Ball Z we have decided to restart over and release it in the new format. It will be presented for the first time:

UNCUT
3 Audio tracks featuring Japanese, English with English Score and English with Japanese Score, something we have not been able to do at all. This also means that for the first time in Australia, ALL seasons of Dragon Ball Z will be presented in both English and Japanese, a much requested feature from fans for many years.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN WITH THE CURRENT SETS?
They will continue to be available on the market until such a time that we have released the season we are replacing it with. From that point on the older sets will be discontinued and go out of print.

PRICING
We will be releasing these new sets for the new low price of $59.95 and will also be in a Fat-Pack Packaging from the day of release.

BUT YOU SAID....
Yes, we did indeed state that we would only release Season 1 parts 2 and 3 in the new wide screen formats only, but we figured that we might as well redo the entire series while we are at it. We had originally intended on re-releasing the currently available sets as Fat-Packs, and after some careful considerations we thought "might as well" and offer a new product, discounting the price at the same time presenting DBZ for the first time in it's entireity in English AND Japanese plus some fancy features as well.

THE WIDESCREEN ISSUE.
This has been a much debated and talked about subject. It will still continue to be a topic of debate for many years to come and here's what we can establish. The newly remastered sets are sourced from Japanese film stock i.e. Film reels like those you see at cinemas. They have been digitized, cleaned up and captured at 24 frames a second in 1080p. It is then mastered down to a standard definition 480p format suitable for viewing on regular DVDs, this also means that these new sets will be PRESENTED IN A TRUE PAL FORMAT, something that is unprecedented for such a long TV Anime series. You do in some cases lose some vertical image, BUT you now also gain horizontal footage that has never been seen before. While, we would have ultimately been happier with a 4:3 release, this is out of our control and is a decision that FUNimation has made but will present some interesting ways to view DBZ.

BUT I'M STILL NOT HAPPY!
We do understand that you may be fustrated that you now have yet ANOTHER set of DBZ DVDs to buy, but we believe that fans will utlimately in the long run be happier with this choice that we have made, by doing this there is now much more benefit for the fans of the series, with multiple options in audio for the first time, and also a new way to see DBZ.

The first set is due for release in June containing the entire Vegeta Saga episodes 1-39
Season 2 containing episodes 40-74 (Namek and Captain Ginyu Sagas)
Season 3 containing episodes 75-107 (Frieza Saga)

Future set break downs will be posted closer to release.
... Maybe later.

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:36 am

:?

Well... this means that the next two season sets are going to have less than the first season set...

Season 1 - 39 episodes (Vegeta Saga 35, Namek Saga 4)
Season 2 - 35 episodes (Namek Saga 28, Ginyu Saga 7)
Season 3 - 33 episodes (Frieza Saga 33)

So with 6-7 episodes per disc, the next two sets are going to have one or two less discs than the first set. That should mean they would be cheaper O_o

And wtf is a Fat-Pack? :lol:

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:43 am

Okay, first off, someone finally went about saying things in a full truthful way on a medium that the entire world will see. I'm happy with that. Extremely. Even if it wasn't FUNimation, someone who is in charge of releasing these widescreen DVDs stepped forward and told the truth. Though we already knew it, they're admitting it themselves. Cool. I can go back to my regularly scheduled life.

As for "fat packs", I'm guessing it's just a buttload of already-released DVDs packaged together. Similar to those "two-packs" at Wal-Mart only a lot bigger.
(they/she)