Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:10 am

Actually I don't think FUNi can crop DB or GT hence why they didn't for the Blue and Green Bricks. If they ever release them on BD it will probably be in 4x3.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:37 am

sangofe wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:I'm glad this is selling good. I don't like the cropping but hopefully good sales pushes funimation to wise up and get the license for the dragon box GT and the movies and the original dragonball.

Apparently these sets are in some ways BETTER and in some ways worse then the Orange boxes. At least if the youtube comparisons are legitimate.
If anything, good sales from this will have them crop DB and GT in the same matter, too.

Well they seamed to have learned their lesson after the OrangeBricks because GT and Ball were not cropped......but then the blu rays came out.

Honestly I want what we got from the LEVEL sets of the blu rays, not the season sets. I don't care if they can't do the expensive remastering process, just give us that screen size. It's like this

original funi single screen size.-100% of the footage from TV

remastered sets-55% of what was on TV

blu ray season sets-50%

dragonboxes-110%

blu ray level sets-180%

There's so much screen missing from what was drawn because there's some process called framing or letterboxing one of the two I think and it only gives you the center. If you buy a animation cell from the show you'll see how much is missing if you compare it even to a dragon box screenshot.

I wanna see all of it! Or at least as much as you can because it's basically new footage.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:53 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Actually I don't think FUNi can crop DB or GT hence why they didn't for the Blue and Green Bricks. If they ever release them on BD it will probably be in 4x3.
They most certainly could crop them. The same logic applies to DBZ... but they certainly cropped them for the DVD releases.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:05 pm

ect5150 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Actually I don't think FUNi can crop DB or GT hence why they didn't for the Blue and Green Bricks. If they ever release them on BD it will probably be in 4x3.
They most certainly could crop them. The same logic applies to DBZ... but they certainly cropped them for the DVD releases.
Funi only cropped Z. not GT or ball. I'm not 100% on ball but I know GT was the same as the dvd singles.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:11 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:Honestly I want what we got from the LEVEL sets of the blu rays, not the season sets. I don't care if they can't do the expensive remastering process, just give us that screen size. It's like this

blu ray season sets-50%

dragonboxes-110%

blu ray level sets-180%

There's so much screen missing from what was drawn because there's some process called framing or letterboxing one of the two I think and it only gives you the center. If you buy a animation cell from the show you'll see how much is missing if you compare it even to a dragon box screenshot.

I wanna see all of it! Or at least as much as you can because it's basically new footage.
That's a massive exaggeration. There was nowhere near that much of a difference.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:05 pm

The Blue Bricks were zoomed in a bit, so you lost footage on all sides. That and the transfer looks pretty bad overall; I gave the DVDs a look a weeks ago after not watching them for a few years, and they did not hold up well.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:54 am

90sDBZ wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:Honestly I want what we got from the LEVEL sets of the blu rays, not the season sets. I don't care if they can't do the expensive remastering process, just give us that screen size. It's like this

blu ray season sets-50%

dragonboxes-110%

blu ray level sets-180%

That's a massive exaggeration. There was nowhere near that much of a difference.
Well admittingly I've never done calculations but the level sets give the the most in terms of footage. If you look at a scene of dragonbox next to the level sets it makes the dragon boxes look cropped and zoomed n. I wish someone had screenshots to share. I might have to do that soon myself to help support my case but I'm telling the truth man. RIP level sets :(

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:58 am

What you get in added image does not make up for the lack of detail in the dark areas:

I'd still much rather watch my Dragon Boxes. Though I will admit the Level Sets' dark issues do lessen the further into the series you get. It's still not perfect, though:

Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:18 am

Ajay wrote:What you get in added image does not make up for the lack of detail in the dark areas:

I'd still much rather watch my Dragon Boxes. Though I will admit the Level Sets' dark issues do lessen the further into the series you get. It's still not perfect, though:

I don't have that much darkness when I pop in my sets. Strange, maybe I'm mistaken. I also recall more of a difference. Were those taken at the same time in the episodes? A few seconds can make a difference where the log for example is as it falls down the river.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:27 am

The darkness is a result of FUNi's masters. It's present on all of the releases done using their own masters. Nothing to do with specific timings in the episode, though I appreciate that kinda thing can make a difference depending on the scene. Definitely not the case in this regard, however.

Deadtuber.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:58 am

Ajay wrote:The darkness is a result of FUNi's masters. It's present on all of the releases done using their own masters. Nothing to do with specific timings in the episode, though I appreciate that kinda thing can make a difference depending on the scene. Definitely not the case in this regard, however.
I meant the size being effected by the time paused not the coloring. Funi certainly made the screen darker for the Ultimate Remastered sets. The ones that came out before the orange bricks.

That's a repeated feet for Funimation. Make a good re-release. Then cancle it after the first season's almost done and then RE-RE-RELEASE it with more episodes bundle in inferior quality. (cough remastered from Ultimate sets. Cough)...(Cough blu ray season sets from the vastly superior level sets Cough) Seams very disrespectful honestly. (not hating on Funi just to make things clear.)

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:39 pm

I still prefer the level sets. Sure the blacks are crushed sometimes but to me that's preferable over the washed out colors and I feel like the first picture on the right seems a little too bright. Neither are perfect but if I have to choose between footage that's too dark and footage that's too bright, I'd go with the darker one. Just my preference though. Plus I'm not sure if it's just the HD or not but the levels just look....better. Still wish I bought the Dragon Boxes over the season blu ray sets though
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:52 pm

The difference is, though, that if you find the Dragon Box picture too bright, you can adjust your TV settings to make it darker. But when the source is darkened to the extent that blacks are crushed, that detail is gone, and no amount of brightness adjustment on your TV is going to fix that.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

SSJ Electric Fury
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ Electric Fury » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:58 am

How's the selective cropping in season 9? I read somewhere it's rather poor in several places.
"You can't make up for your mistakes when you're dead." - Irina Akulov, Xenoblade [Chronicles] X
ringworm128 wrote:

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:27 am

SSJ Electric Fury wrote:How's the selective cropping in season 9? I read somewhere it's rather poor in several places.
The cropping is pretty inconsistent throughout all of the sets, honestly. It's better than the Orange Bricks on the whole, but for something that's supposedly done manually, it's pretty poor.
It's the abysmal remaster that gets me more than anything.

Deadtuber.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:25 am

Ajay wrote:
SSJ Electric Fury wrote:How's the selective cropping in season 9? I read somewhere it's rather poor in several places.
The cropping is pretty inconsistent throughout all of the sets, honestly. It's better than the Orange Bricks on the whole, but for something that's supposedly done manually, it's pretty poor.
It's the abysmal remaster that gets me more than anything.
Yeah... No, thanks, i'll stick with my Dragon Boxes, like forever.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:21 pm

What's wrong with Season 9's remastering ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:41 pm

sintzu wrote:What's wrong with Season 9's remastering ?
well the last post before you has a comparison you should check out,it shows there footage that even the VERY cropped orange bricks has,which is missing in the blu rays. They need to just od what they did with the level sets,even if they don't have the same remastering,just give me the same screen size,it was the best to me.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:43 pm

As you can see with the screenshots above the Blu-ray has crisper colours, but the framing on the Orange Bricks is better (in parts).
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:43 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:
well the last post before you has a comparison you should check out,it shows there footage that even the VERY cropped orange bricks has,which is missing in the blu rays. They need to just od what they did with the level sets,even if they don't have the same remastering,just give me the same screen size,it was the best to me.
What doed od stand for? I can't figure out the meaning and i spend crazy hours reading here. I feel like i should know what od stands for lol.