Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Power Level Discussion Thread

Post by AvatarReiko » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:43 pm

Bullza wrote:All Ginyu did was bring out Tagoma's full powers which he was previously hiding when he fought Piccolo.
Which means that Togima must have already on that level, which is still just silly. Unless, you are saying that Ginyu's body swap technqu automatically gives his victims a 10000x increase?

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:10 pm

Bullza wrote:All Ginyu did was bring out Tagoma's full powers which he was previously hiding when he fought Piccolo.
Which means that Togima must have already on that level, which is still just silly. Unless, you are saying that Ginyu's body swap technqu automatically gives his victims a 10000x increase?
Tagoma was already on that level...? He was Zarbon level, trained, then Ginyu body swapped and used his full power instead of what he was holding back.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:15 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Hugo Boss wrote:Things get complicated when associating the current strength chart with that of previous arcs.
What are you talking about? Piccolo is probably stronger than 2nd Form Cell since the Cell Games, and he never stopped training according to Toriyama, so he didn't get weaker. Base Goku pre-SSG was weaker than Full Power Freeza, while Piccolo was much, much stronger than Full Power Freeza. Tagoma was at Zarbon & Dodoria level, but after his training, he became much stronger than Piccolo, and as strong as FnF base Gohan. So, FnF Gohan is stronger than Piccolo, as well as base Goku & Vegeta from the beginning of BoG.

Nothing here is complicated. Super isn't a reboot, it's the continuation of the Majin Boo arc, which is why everything from the manga/anime still applies in Super.
What about Kuririn, Piccolo and Gohan considering Shisami a strong opponent, and in the movie, the Shisami vs. Piccolo fight?

The strength chart on Super makes sense if you only consider Super itself, but it gets messed up if you associate it with the previous series.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Regular

Post by AvatarReiko » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:27 pm

singsing wrote:
Tagoma was already on that level...? He was Zarbon level, trained, then Ginyu body swapped and used his full power instead of what he was holding back.

Which is what I orginally said. Ginyu must also be a prodigy like Frieza if he can make such tremendous gains in 3 months. Besides, how is training as a frog.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:57 pm

1st form Freeza is just too OP. He will most likely beat an enraged ultimate Gohan. :shock:

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:03 pm

AvatarReiko wrote:Which is what I orginally said. Ginyu must also be a prodigy like Freeza if he can make such tremendous gains in 3 months. Besides, how is training as a frog.
Why are you bringing Ginyu training into this? Tagoma trained, got super strong, Ginyu switched bodies and now has access to the power of Tagoma's body, that's it.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:27 pm

LightBing wrote:You can't isolate Super from the rest of the series. The story picks up after the Boo Saga, unless said otherwise the characters still have(at least) the power they had before. We know for a fact Piccolo is stronger than Freeza before his training. Tagoma defeats Piccolo easily, that's a statement of strength that puts him above Freeza previous strength.

A statement is a line said by "x" character. You get a line of Sorbet about Tagoma powering-up to a level that further surpass Ginyu Force, nothing better than that. Sorbet could have said something like "Tagoma has now powered-up to beyond Freeza-sama's level when we revived him" or "[...]beyond those Super Saiyans". In Cell Arc, after merging with Kami and training in the Room of Spirit and Time, Piccolo has surpassed Super Saiyans and Cyborgs that could easily defeat Freeza, yes. Boo Arc doesn't touch on the subject, but all that stuff seems to be overlooked in Dragon Ball-related material since 2008. Of course, these are just my current impressions. People can still think it makes sense Piccolo offering help to defeat someone at Zarbon's level or that person easily deflecting Base Gohan's ki blasts.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:23 pm

Hugo Boss wrote:
LightBing wrote:You can't isolate Super from the rest of the series. The story picks up after the Boo Saga, unless said otherwise the characters still have(at least) the power they had before. We know for a fact Piccolo is stronger than Freeza before his training. Tagoma defeats Piccolo easily, that's a statement of strength that puts him above Freeza previous strength.

A statement is a line said by "x" character. You get a line of Sorbet about Tagoma powering-up to a level that further surpass Ginyu Force, nothing better than that. Sorbet could have said something like "Tagoma has now powered-up to beyond Freeza-sama's level when we revived him" or "[...]beyond those Super Saiyans". In Cell Arc, after merging with Kami and training in the Room of Spirit and Time, Piccolo has surpassed Super Saiyans and Cyborgs that could easily defeat Freeza, yes. Boo Arc doesn't touch on the subject, but all that stuff seems to be overlooked in Dragon Ball-related material since 2008. Of course, these are just my current impressions. People can still think it makes sense Piccolo offering help to defeat someone at Zarbon's level or that person easily deflecting Base Gohan's ki blasts.
I agree 100%.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:31 pm

Zombie wrote:1st form Freeza is just too OP. He will most likely beat an enraged ultimate Gohan. :shock:
Exactly!

I prefer to stick with his RoF counterpart, where I could put his BP as:
1st Form Freeza = Somewhat above a SSJ2 Tier
2st Form Freeza = Fat Boo Tier
3rd Form Freeza = SSJ3 Tier
Final Form Freeza = Boo-han Tier
100% FP Freeza = SSJ3 Vegetto
But in DBS what would be?

1st Form Freeza = Above a SSJ3/Untrained Ultimate Gohan tier
2st Form Freeza = Super Boo/Boo-ccolo tier?
3rd Form Freeza = Super Boo-han tier?
Final Form Freeza = Super Vegetto or SSJ2/3 Vegetto tier?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:34 pm

I think it's time to let go of Freeza's second and third forms. They don't exist anymore.

The only reason Freeza is in his "first form" is because he likes it. Not to mention he has spent most of his life in that form.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:23 pm

Hugo Boss wrote:

That isn't the only definition of statement. When Vegeta destroyed the punching machine, he made a statement of strength and/or annoyance. No words were needed.
Sorbet could have said all those things, but he didn't. Doesn't prove that's the ceiling of Tagoma. Afterwards he pummels Piccolo, which raises the ceiling. Doesn't mean Piccolo is the best he can do. The thing, is your making assumptions that aren't supported. I'm also making assumptions but mine are backed and don't have to discredit the whole manga that preceded it.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:07 pm

Zombie wrote:1st form Freeza is just too OP. He will most likely beat an enraged ultimate Gohan. :shock:
Considering the drastic inflation in strength for... well... damn near every major character we've seen so far in Super, Freeza will most likely defeat Ultimate Gohan just like how he defeated him in Resurrection F.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:29 pm

First form freeza above mystic gohan from the buu saga?Sounds iffy.Would be cool,but i somehow doubt it.Stronger than rof gohan,sure why not,hes gotten allot weaker.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:42 pm

Feats always take precedence over statements. Tagoma beats a fighter stronger than Namek Freeza, he is above Freeza. Sorbet's statement is not wrong anyway, since Tagoma is stronger than the Ginyu Force anyway. He doesn't know the power of either the Androids, Cell or Buu (who he has knowledge of, but doesn't know his actual strength) so the next thing that could come to someone's mind, outside of Freeza himself is Ginyu.

He also doesn't know Freeza's power after ressurecting him, since all the scouters blew up. To Sorbet's knowledge, Freeza was the strongest guy back then, and Tagoma being strong to Perfect Cell levels means nothing to him, as he doesn't know who that is and Freeza is stronger anyway. Ginyu was the second strongest on Namek by a lot. Tagoma surpassing him would seem amazing to someone who doesn't know about all these beings and who doesn't know how much Freeza grew trough training.

Tagoma's power makes complete sense. Sorbet's statement is correct. The iffy thing is about Gohan's power and how he is stronger than Piccolo in base (which really hasn't been demonstrated, since he was knocked out in the same way as him by Tagoma). Super Saiyan Gohan however being so strong can be explained as Gohan regaining his lost power.

The previews for the next episode say that Gohan will rage boost after Piccolo's scrifice, which gives him a power that his body can't handle, which might be a power above even his Mystic form. It has to be at least as big as SSJ3 to be felt across the Universe.

My opinion on Gohan: his base kept some of the power from the ritual, his SSJ level is now as strong as SSJ2 against Perfect Cell and the rage boost next episode puts him to his Buu saga power. This puts Tagoma at Perfect Cell level: enough to own Piccolo, but be nothing for SSJ Gohan.

Last thing: saying that using Z's power levels don't work for Super is bullshit. Super is a continuation. It's not a spin off, a reboot or anything of the kind. The two follow the same story and logic. Please people, don't use that argument. It's just silly.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:09 pm

Draconic wrote: My opinion on Gohan: his base kept some of the power from the ritual, his SSJ level is now as strong as SSJ2 against Perfect Cell and the rage boost next episode puts him to his Buu saga power. This puts Tagoma at Perfect Cell level: enough to own Piccolo, but be nothing for SSJ Gohan.
Gohan says Tagoma is hiding Ki that might be on par with him at his best. As crazy as this sounds this puts Ginyu at Super Buu tier or higher.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:15 pm

Zombie wrote:
Draconic wrote: My opinion on Gohan: his base kept some of the power from the ritual, his SSJ level is now as strong as SSJ2 against Perfect Cell and the rage boost next episode puts him to his Buu saga power. This puts Tagoma at Perfect Cell level: enough to own Piccolo, but be nothing for SSJ Gohan.
Gohan says Tagoma is hiding Ki that might be on par with him at his best. As crazy as this sounds this puts Ginyu at Super Buu tier or higher.
His best doesn't mean his current best? Rage boost not included? That's how I took it.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:45 pm

Zombie wrote:I think it's time to let go of Freeza's second and third forms. They don't exist anymore.

The only reason Freeza is in his "first form" is because he likes it. Not to mention he has spent most of his life in that form.
Plus they only made miniscule gains in strength. Especially given how much power Freeza could crank out in his fourth form in comparison to those.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:52 pm

Sandubadear wrote:What about Kuririn, Piccolo and Gohan considering Shisami a strong opponent, and in the movie, the Shisami vs. Piccolo fight?
That would just mean that Shisami got stronger during these 4 months as well. DBS Shisami appears to be weaker than FnF Shisami (since Gohan needed SS to one-shot him in FnF, while he was much stronger than him in base), so maybe the reason that he is stronger in FnF is because he was chosen as Freeza's sparring partner instead of Tagoma, who died in FnF.

It is also worth to note that in the original script of the movie from Toriyama, only Tagoma was stated to be on par with Zarbon & Dodoria. In the script, Freeza brought, along with his weak soldiers, mercenaries as well, who according to Toriyama were "troublesome", and Shisami was said to be the strongest warrior of the army. So it was, apparently, originally intended for Shisami to be a powerful mercenary that was recruited after Freeza's revival, not a soldier that was on par with Zarbon & Dodoria like Tagoma.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:34 pm

LightBing wrote:The thing, is your making assumptions that aren't supported. I'm also making assumptions but mine are backed and don't have to discredit the whole manga that preceded it.
The only difference in our assumptions is perspective, really. I don't think Dragon Ball Super shares the same continuity as the manga as most of people do, given that it makes reference to filler material. If you think the reasons I provided aren't enough, I guess it's okay.
Draconic wrote:Last thing: saying that using Z's power levels don't work for Super is bullshit. Super is a continuation. It's not a spin off, a reboot or anything of the kind. The two follow the same story and logic. Please people, don't use that argument. It's just silly.
I could say the same things with another words, like the others are doing. Being dismissive about other people opinions definetely isn't how I like to discuss and I couldn't do that even if I wanted. The powerlevel enthusiasts may not like or simply ignore the problems Dragon Ball Super has with some established facts since the very first episode, but if they can think of some elaborated theories trying to fix those issues then fine.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:21 am

Zombie wrote:
Herms already told you this, but by his "best" Gohan meant his current best, not his lifetime best. And the statement was proven wrong anyway.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.