Towa and Mira in Heroes?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OkamiTakahashi

Towa and Mira in Heroes?

Post by OkamiTakahashi » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:00 pm

Ok, so this has me VERY much confused. You'd think that with all the time patrolling that was done in Xenoverse and Online, that all records of Towa and Mira would have been erased from history. So HOW are they in Heroes? Heroes is literally a game within the GT timeline (which Trunks now implies to be another split?). How would anybody know of them, and WHY does Mira have a new Super form that was never utilized in either Xenoverse or Online? It just doesn't make any sense to me; this is some really weird meta stuff going on.

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Towa and Mira in Heroes?

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:26 pm

I didn't think this had to be explained, but the short of it is, none of those games are intended to be connected in the way attempting to do so. I suppose you could toss them all into a timeline theory like the Cell Arc, but that's not the intention. They are all supposed to be their own version of the exact same events.

Heroes is not a "game within the GT timeline". The Victory Mission manga may take place after the events of GT, but the game and the manga don't share continuity because despite now having "story arcs", Heroes still doesn't have an actual story. You have a progression of fights thrown at you with basically zero context, and if you make it to the last one, you might get a short hint of what is coming next card set. Likewise, Xenoverse and Online don't share continuity with Heroes either (and I'm still using that term loosely since, as mentioned, Heroes doesn't really have a plot anyway).

As for why Towa and Mira have new forms in Heroes but not Online or Xenoverse, don't forget that Online was canceled before it was finished and Xenoverse's ending sets up the duo for their return in a sequel. You can't say for certain right now that those forms won't be used (or wouldn't have in DBO's case) in those continuities.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

OkamiTakahashi

Post by OkamiTakahashi » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Honestly, I've always found that Toei seems to suggest it's all one timeline tbh. I'm aware of Victory Mission- that's why I even mentioned GT in the first place- Toyataro/Toyble (or whomever actually wrote the story) placed it after GT. I still am just not buying the whole "not set canon" thing when several official timelines have been revealed before, i.e. in the Battle of Gods guidebook- that one also included a little bit of GT content. Why does everyone just ignore these timelines of Toei and Toriyama's? I mean he wrote Battle of Gods, so you'd think he'd be the brains behind the guidebook too.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:54 pm

I'm not ignoring anything, but you seem to be confused on who owns what in regards to the franchise. Toei has nothing to do with any of the games from the plot perspective. Shueisha has the rights to the franchise and Bandai Namco handles licensing developers for the games on their behalf. Toriyama also contributes information to the guidebooks sometimes via interviews, be he is not responsible for the entire book itself. Those are handled by Shueisha and I think compiled by Caramel Mama?

Anyway, Dragon Ball Online was a Korean developed game that was exclusively in Toriyama's manga continuity because they couldn't get the rights to anything else.

Xenoverse was developed by Dimps and It utilized some of DBO's content after the game's cancellation, but 100% contradicts the plot of said game from the very foundation. If anything, it's set in a continuity based off the anime (but not perfectly) where GT is an alternate timeline to the BOG and "F" one.

Heroes is an entirely different beast because, as already mentioned, there's no real plot. They add things in and have you fight battles without context. There's really nothing to discern in terms of story most of the time other than "this set features Mira. You've fight him after fighting 3 other battles of usually random enemies. If you defeat him, Towa will show up and say 'You haven't won yet' until the next card set. Then the cycles repeats with Towa, until Super Mira shows up. Then the next set is Dabra, etc." Victory Mission could be a different story, but they haven't covered the Makai content. So there's nothing to say on the matter other than the game and manga aren't connected either, other than by the obvious Heroes card game concept.

They aren't supposed to be connect. They're basically two (and a half if you want to count Heroes) different retellings of the same events.

oreos-splash
Not-So-Newbie

Post by oreos-splash » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:29 am

I just assumed Heroes is a game, none of its real. So technically anything can happen in this game.
those who do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat it~ Edmund Burke (at least that's what Google says)

OkamiTakahashi

Post by OkamiTakahashi » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:16 pm

Honestly, I just don't see nearly as many contradictions as people claim there to be. Yes, Xenoverse utilizes some of Online's content, but I perceived online as being a sequel to the entire franchise, not just the manga exclusively. Yes, Heroes is a game, but it has a manga that gives it an actual story- and even before the manga was done they revealed a timeline for where Heroes is set.

I honestly really don't care for all these claims of tiers of canon- manga and anime exclusive- I've seen the two blended so many times before with each other and with game storylines thrown in the mix that to me, it's just always suggested to have been one timeline the whole time. Besides, how would GT even be a split? That would require Trunks to visit Goku's timeline a forth time, would it not?

People need to make up their minds and decide on something already. It's too discombobulated. Everything needs to be properly organized- and not split into tiers either. I've always found that to be a ridiculous concept. It might feel organized to others but to me it's a cop-out to rule things out as "non-canon". Even Doctor Who and the Legend of Zelda have more organized timelines- and both of these series have their own splits and time traveling aspects. The folks working on this franchise need to get on the ball and just fix what's broken if you ask me.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:01 am

Heroes is pretty much taken place inside a video game. So Heroes is it's own world with it's own set of rules.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:03 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Heroes is pretty much taken place inside a video game. So Heroes is it's own world with it's own set of rules.
No, Heroes takes place in the distant future after GT where the kids get inside a video game.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:35 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Heroes is pretty much taken place inside a video game. So Heroes is it's own world with it's own set of rules.
No, Heroes takes place in the distant future after GT where the kids get inside a video game.
Victory Mission might, but as far as I know, there doesn't seem to be any implication that Heroes itself is anything but a game as he said. The commercials certainly don't suggest much of anything, but I don't know about in-game text. You'd probably have to ask someone who has played Ultimate Mission and understood it.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:36 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Victory Mission might, but as far as I know, there doesn't seem to be any implication that Heroes itself is anything but a game as he said. The commercials certainly don't suggest much of anything, but I don't know about in-game text. You'd probably have to ask someone who has played Ultimate Mission and understood it.
The very first commercial of Heroes shows Beat getting inside the game like he does in Victory Mission. I don't see why we should treat them as different things when the manga is supposed to be a tie-in to the game.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:30 pm

Yes, a good portion of the commercials show them going inside the game, but that doesn't mean that the rest of the details fall in line. The game and commercials came first, and Victory Mission built onto them for the sake of advertising with a promotional manga.

Of course you can assume they are the same if you want, but without confirmation, it's nothing more than speculation. It could just as easily represent kids from our real world being sucked into the game's Dragon World while playing. Which would make just as much sense, given the commercials more real world Japan setting while the kids are running to the arcade as well as the game's premise and avatar system.