Shouldn't Dr. Gero thank Goku?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Shouldn't Dr. Gero thank Goku?

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:26 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Romans Empire wrote: No don't worry you just coming off as wrong because Dr. Gero wouldn't want revenge if Goku didn't beat him before. It is quite simple really.
What part of "he was retroactively declared the lead scientist of the Red Ribbon Army" are you not understanding? Gero did not exist prior to the Cell Arc. That's a simple fact.
He gets what you're saying. He's being a troll by declaring the same thing over and over again, which is that as long as Dr. Gero exists within the series proper, he had to retroactively exist in its universe. I don't know if he even care about your point, he's just being difficult.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Nickolaus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nickolaus » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:28 am

Romans Empire wrote:No don't worry you just coming off as wrong because Dr. Gero wouldn't want revenge if Goku didn't beat him before. It is quite simple really.
At this point you have yet to provide any evidence to what Kamiccolo9 asked for. There is absolutely no validity to your statement at all. Several users have even corrected you, even myself. You're just being a nuisance at this point and refuting the same point over and over; which is getting you no where besides us replying to you.

Romans Empire

Post by Romans Empire » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:33 am

Nickolaus wrote:
Romans Empire wrote:No don't worry you just coming off as wrong because Dr. Gero wouldn't want revenge if Goku didn't beat him before. It is quite simple really.
At this point you have yet to provide any evidence to what Kamiccolo9 asked for. There is absolutely no validity to your statement at all. Several users have even corrected you, even myself. You're just being a nuisance at this point and refuting the same point over and over; which is getting you no where besides us replying to you.
Sorry for that I was just trying to say what I watched. You don't need to reply to it anymore but I won't change my mind about it.
DBZ is my childhood. I have recordings from the good ole Toonami days. I treasure them dearly.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:04 am

Romans Empire wrote: Sorry for that I was just trying to say what I watched. You don't need to reply to it anymore but I won't change my mind about it.
There is no worse blind man than the one that refuses to see.

VegetaSSJG

Post by VegetaSSJG » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:06 pm

Romans Empire wrote:
Nickolaus wrote:
Sorry for that I was just trying to say what I watched. You don't need to reply to it anymore but I won't change my mind about it.
Here's what you need to do:

Re-read the manga/re-watch the anime up until the android saga
Look really hard/listen for any mention of Gero
See that he was never actually mentioned and be proven wrong
(I know my profile picture doesn't match my account name, now go away)

My pages-YouTube, Tumblr, DeviantArt, Twitter:
https://elink.io/p/booyacy

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:54 pm

Dr. Gero wanting to rule the army is like Goku wanting to rule the earth.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

Romans Empire

Post by Romans Empire » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:03 pm

Nope I am not blind I know what I saw.
DBZ is my childhood. I have recordings from the good ole Toonami days. I treasure them dearly.

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:17 pm

Please, read what I wrote at the top.
KaiserNeko wrote:He gets what you're saying. He's being a troll by declaring the same thing over and over again, which is that as long as Dr. Gero exists within the series proper, he had to retroactively exist in its universe. I don't know if he even care about your point, he's just being difficult.

Romans Empire

Post by Romans Empire » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:21 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Please, read what I wrote at the top.
KaiserNeko wrote:He gets what you're saying. He's being a troll by declaring the same thing over and over again, which is that as long as Dr. Gero exists within the series proper, he had to retroactively exist in its universe. I don't know if he even care about your point, he's just being difficult.
I think it is pretty rude you are assuming something like that. I am not trolling only going by what I saw and know. Like I said Dr. Gero wouldn't know Goku if he didn't want revenge. I suggest you need to calm down. I don't even know who you are. I already read it the first time I just didn't want trouble since I am new and all.

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:35 pm

Romans Empire wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:Please, read what I wrote at the top.
I think it is pretty rude you are assuming something like that. I am not trolling only going by what I saw and know. Like I said Dr. Gero wouldn't know Goku if he didn't want revenge. I suggest you need to calm down. I don't even know who you are. I already read it the first time I just didn't want trouble since I am new and all.
Edit: Forget it. I'm not getting caught up in this anymore.
Last edited by KaiserNeko on Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Romans Empire

Post by Romans Empire » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:39 pm

KaiserNeko wrote: You're not partaking in the discussion with the way you're behaving at all. You're repeating yourself over and over, instead of trying to clarify your point.
Because I know what I saw. It is not like you are doing any better being a junior mod.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:43 pm

Dr. Gero was invented by Akira Toriyama after the Freeza arc. He didn't "exist" before that in the sense that he was never mentioned or shown -- either in design or by name -- prior to that. He does not appear. You do not see him. You are incapable of seeing him because he is not there.

AT THE SAME TIME, it's a bit of retroactive continuity that has you believe/understand/accept that he ALWAYS "existed" "in-universe" prior to his introduction, despite never having seen or heard of him before.

That all being said, I'm leaning toward Romans Empire having registered for the sake of annoying people. The IP doesn't line up with anyone else, so if you're proxying to get around a ban, great. You're wasting our time. Congrats. We're not getting other website work done because we have to babysit you here. You won. You have 100% won the Internet game.

If you're honestly a new person and legitimately that stubborn about being wrong, I suggest... I dunno, doing something else with your time, because you're also wasting a whole bunch of our and your own time here. Your attitude is out of line, and I'm clearly losing my own temper about it because: see line about babysitting.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:23 pm

The Funimation dub did declare Dr. Gero head of the Red Ribbon Army, via an added narration from Roshi during his flashback sequence to Marron. Of course this is incorrect, and only done because Funimation was not aware of the specifics of the earlier material at the time, but if the dub is your only reference point than Roman isn't wrong. But the dub was, so the claim is wrong. All that said, I do like how Toriyama used the Full Color interviews to "properly" inject Gero into the continuity.
DBZfan2015 wrote:You could rebuild the organization and run it yourself (replacing the dead human soldiers with powerful androids).
If you chose to attribute Gero's sudden mad scientist resources to something concrete, you could certainly speculate that he took all the Army's stuff.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:39 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:The Funimation dub did declare Dr. Gero head of the Red Ribbon Army, via an added narration from Roshi during his flashback sequence to Marron. Of course this is incorrect, and only done because Funimation was not aware of the specifics of the earlier material at the time, but if the dub is your only reference point than Roman isn't wrong. But the dub was, so the claim is wrong. All that said, I do like how Toriyama used the Full Color interviews to "properly" inject Gero into the continuity.
That's not the problem. Roman was claiming that Doctor Gero had actually appeared in the RRA Arc. Not even the dub went so far as to insert a character who didn't yet exist into the earlier material.
Last edited by Kamiccolo9 on Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:44 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:The Funimation dub did declare Dr. Gero head of the Red Ribbon Army, via an added narration from Roshi during his flashback sequence to Marron.
I'm not sure if I knew this or not. An interesting point, one worth making (thank you!), and a good reminder that all discussions here are assumed to be based on the original Japanese version of the franchise unless otherwise specified.

That being said...
Kamiccolo9 wrote:That's not the problem. Roman was claiming that Doctor Gero had actually appeared in the RRA Arc Not even the dub went so far as to insert a character who didn't yet exist into the earlier material.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Romans Empire

Post by Romans Empire » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:06 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:The Funimation dub did declare Dr. Gero head of the Red Ribbon Army, via an added narration from Roshi during his flashback sequence to Marron.
I'm not sure if I knew this or not. An interesting point, one worth making (thank you!), and a good reminder that all discussions here are assumed to be based on the original Japanese version of the franchise unless otherwise specified.

That being said...
Kamiccolo9 wrote:That's not the problem. Roman was claiming that Doctor Gero had actually appeared in the RRA Arc Not even the dub went so far as to insert a character who didn't yet exist into the earlier material.

I don't think that is very fair to assume it is just the Japanese version everyone is talking about. I grew up in the USA so I taped the Funimation version when it aired. I am sorry but this just comes off as racist to me because how am I suppose to understand the Japanese version if I want to watch it in the language I understand. I am not Japanese. I noticed that when I posted in the Goku thread that it forced auto correct for Freeza when I know for sure it was spelled Fr-ie-za. I know I am not familiar with the Japanese version but you are forcing the way you want people to talk about DB down my throat. I only watched the English dub because I grew up in USA and I would assume many other people grew up with the English dub as well and not the Japanese version. I am not trying to be offensive I just wanted to let you know how us new members didn't expect the version we grew up with to not be the center of every conversation.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:27 pm

Romans Empire wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:

That being said...

I don't think that is very fair to assume it is just the Japanese version everyone is talking about. I grew up in the USA so I taped the Funimation version when it aired. I am sorry but this just comes off as racist to me because how am I suppose to understand the Japanese version if I want to watch it in the language I understand. I am not Japanese. I noticed that when I posted in the Goku thread that it forced auto correct for Freeza when I know for sure it was spelled Fr-ie-za. I know I am not familiar with the Japanese version but you are forcing the way you want people to talk about DB down my throat. I only watched the English dub because I grew up in USA and I would assume many other people grew up with the English dub as well and not the Japanese version. I am not trying to be offensive I just wanted to let you know how us new members didn't expect the version we grew up with to not be the center of every conversation.
This site is primarily concerned with the Japanese version of the anime and manga. It said so on the list of rules that you agreed to when you signed up. Nobody is making you do anything.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:00 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:That's not the problem. Roman was claiming that Doctor Gero had actually appeared in the RRA Arc. Not even the dub went so far as to insert a character who didn't yet exist into the earlier material.
I should have said it point-blank: yes, they did.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:06 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:That's not the problem. Roman was claiming that Doctor Gero had actually appeared in the RRA Arc. Not even the dub went so far as to insert a character who didn't yet exist into the earlier material.
I should have said it point-blank: yes, they did.
That video is set to private.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:06 pm

Romans Empire wrote:I am sorry but this just comes off as racist to me because how am I suppose to understand the Japanese version if I want to watch it in the language I understand. I am not Japanese.
http://www.hulu.com/dragon-ball
http://www.hulu.com/dragon-ball-z

The Japanese-language version is legally available to watch for free with English translation subtitles for both Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. The DBZ episode availability is a bit wonky (they periodically cycle through the "seasons" in order, with only three full seasons being available to watch at any given time), but they're there.

Every DVD and Blu-ray release of the franchise also contains an option for the Japanese voice track with these same subtitles.