People taking DB too seriously

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ddd
Beyond Newbie

People taking DB too seriously

Post by Ddd » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:00 am

We've all seen it and we've all been guilty of it, do you have any stories or anecdotes off that time you got a little too passionate?.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Re: people Taking db too seriously

Post by MajinMan » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:38 am

The most serious I've ever been was when I started cussing out people on YouTube (I was young). There was this other time when I went on a "the dub sucks and you suck for liking it" tirade when I first got into the Japanese version before I grew the fuck up and stopped caring about that type of stuff. I have seen certain older fans take things a bit seriously and attack each other personally over trivial arguments.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:45 pm

I once heard an anecdote about a kid who was physically abused by his father and justified it by believing that he was a Saiyan and his father was 'training' him.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:11 pm

I have known people that has taken the show way too seriously and would stop being friends with a few people or would just say awful things to them because they liked the dub. but I have never been like that haha
Polyphase Avatron wrote:I once heard an anecdote about a kid who was physically abused by his father and justified it by believing that he was a Saiyan and his father was 'training' him.
wuuuut lol :crazy:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:49 pm

Back in high school, I used my VHS fansubs to insist and " prove" the show was for adults and that the dub version "toned it down" quite a bit.

Glad nowadays I've chilled the heck out and repeat to myself "It's just a show, I should really just relax."
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:58 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xA0ZHE ... leSixFiend

I still belly laugh every time I watch this. This is an example of someone who took Dragonball way too seriously. Such a classic.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:36 pm

omaro34 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xA0ZHE ... leSixFiend

I still belly laugh every time I watch this. This is an example of someone who took Dragonball way too seriously. Such a classic.
That was great I have to admit. :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:27 pm

Man, that never get old.

On a more serious note, there was the very tragic story of a man in France who died as a result of aneurysm from trying to go "Super Saiyan".

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:23 pm

My friends and I used to "power-up" before things like the 100m dash during track and field events.

This one is my favorite :mrgreen::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_e8PEVqUxg

BoosterZabi

Post by BoosterZabi » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:56 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:I once heard an anecdote about a kid who was physically abused by his father and justified it by believing that he was a Saiyan and his father was 'training' him.
I wouldn't be surprised. There are people who name their children off of videogames characters and treat them as such and there are people who do this...
http://i.imgur.com/tAhou6r.jpg

Unfortunately the insane are allowed to have children.
Son_Gohan wrote:
This one is my favorite :mrgreen::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_e8PEVqUxg
Haha I haven't seen that in eons. Always gets me to laugh.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:05 am

A long time ago I got into a heated argument on Gamefaqs about whether Vegeta had reached SSJ2 or not before the Majin charm. I remember coming out of that holding a lot of ill will towards the other person.

Romans Empire

Post by Romans Empire » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:12 am

Well, I do admit I tried to do a kamehameha in real life quite a couple of times.
DBZ is my childhood. I have recordings from the good ole Toonami days. I treasure them dearly.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:08 am

After the Orange Bricks were announced, I sort of fell for the marketing behind them, like that it was affordable for the very first time, and got super excited. Then, mean ol' VegettoEX and his videophile buddies came along and learned me a thing or two about how what FUNimation was doing was bad. When that happened, I felt betrayed and let down big time. So much so that it was all I talked about for like two weeks. I complained nonstop to my girlfriend at the time and she put up with it for most of those couple of weeks until, one evening, she lost it at a local diner. It kinda went like...

Me; "So, about the new Dragon Ball Z DV--"
Her: "Stop! Just, fucking stop."

She then went on to tell me about how that's all I had talked about for weeks and that I needed to "shut the fuck up for five fucking minutes." We spent the rest of that dinner in awkward silence.

We eventually married each other, by the way. :lol:
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Dotogam
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dotogam » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:08 am

I once was chatting with a guy who kept using dub names (Like T-I-E-N and K-R-I-L-L-I-N) while I was using JPN terms. He was confused with how I was saying things. When I told him I was using the Japanese names he started laughing at me. Then he called me an Idiot Weeaboo. He kept doing that and I snapped. I yelled. I only used the terms that are official! I watch Dragon Ball the way it is supposed to be watched! Then he kept laughing at me. I yelled IDIOT, and left. I regret the fact that I yelled so intensely at someone, it's really embarrassing... :oops:
How I relax, crawling into bed with my laptop and browsing Kanzenshuu.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:06 pm

I guess there's a chance he really did think he could go Ssj but more then likely it was a stunt to get views and $$$ off of Youtube which obviously worked.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:03 pm

On a more lighthearted note, every time using Kanzenshuu's wonderful resources has left you disproportionately knowledgable compared about the series compared to everyone else in the room, and subsequently parring down which bits no one really needs to know are appropriate for the setting.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:18 pm

Tell me any of the following and I'll take it too seriously when giving my answer:

1. GT sucks because "Toriyama didn't make it.
2. Goku was little.
3. the color pallets are too dark for my eyes.
4. it's not canon because I don't like it.
5. GT is hated by all of the fan base."
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Ddd
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ddd » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:40 pm

1. GT sucks because "Toriyama didn't make it.
2. Goku was little.

U mad bro?

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:05 pm

Ddd wrote:1. GT sucks because "Toriyama didn't make it.
2. Goku was little.

U mad bro?
Wow, that was fast xD. I wasn't talking to you specifically, I meant...like anyone...

And yes, those actually hurt my feelings but anyway, Those are the situations where I get a little too much over my head as a fan.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Innocent-Halfbreed

Post by Innocent-Halfbreed » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:58 pm

I admit I try to defend Kai as much as humanly possible. I can't even watch Kai-related videos because the comment sections might as well ignite my monitor with the flame-wars. Seriously though, Kai gets just TOO MUCH hate. I almost pity it. :(
One day, when I grow up, I wanna be a scholar.