Super Mario Bros. Z reboot

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Super Mario Bros. Z reboot

Post by Shiyonasan » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:49 pm

I saw an old thread in the Fan-Created Works subforum for the original Super Mario Bros. Z series, so I assume it's okay to make a thread about this.

Mark Haynes, a.k.a. Alvin-Earthworm just released the first episode of a reboot of the original Super Mario Bros. Z series. There's improved sound quality, slightly altered story points, and the series is in HD now. I assume some of you remember seeing the original series back in the late 2000s as I did. I enjoyed keeping up with the series when episodes did come out. I'm surprised that this exists, because I remember Alvin-Earthworm saying that the series was cancelled, but perhaps he meant that the original series is cancelled, and he'd rather reboot the series to give it a fresh look. Regardless, it's great to see SMBZ back in action.

For those who don't know, Super Mario Bros. Z is basically an original story created by Alvin-Earthworm with characters from the Mario and Sonic series who battle in DBZ-type fights. There's references to Dragon Ball Z in Super Mario Bros. Z from both the Funimation dub and the Japanese version of the show.

Here's the first episode:

Super Mario Bros. Z (Episode 1)

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: Super Mario Bros. Z reboot

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:18 pm

It's been awhile sure. Man that battle on Yoshi's Island was something spectacular, I can't wait to see how he'll top himself when he get to that episode.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:57 pm

Wow... I remember watching the original video on youtube almost 10 years ago. It's kind of hard for me to go back and watch stuff like this now as my standards for online video have increased since then. Still, it's a nice throwback to simpler times.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:05 pm

Not sure this is acceptable as it's mainly DBZ inspired. Other than that there's no real DBZ related fan stuff. Even then the choreography thankfully feels less DBZ, and more in tune to how Mario would be. Love me the terria! Let's stick to Ryan D and not Hooba Dooba Roger voice clips.

Also these fight scene's beat the shit out of Super's fight scene's. Though at this point saying that isn't much of a compliment anymore, it's just sad.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:45 pm

Heh...why do I get the feeling Rawk Hawk will be more of a joke character than anything? Considering Mark used Mr. Satan's English VA clips...
Shame Peach will play the usual "damsel in distress" role (or as Mark refereed to as being the usual dumb blond princess) and we might not even see Princess Daisy since Mark doesn't like her (I blame Double Dash).
FoolsGil wrote:It's been awhile sure. Man that battle on Yoshi's Island was something spectacular, I can't wait to see how he'll top himself when he get to that episode.
Oh god the sheer awesomeness of a 3 way fight followed by Mecha Sonic curb-stomping everyone was perhaps the best part in the old version.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:53 pm

BlazingBarrrager wrote:Heh...why do I get the feeling Rawk Hawk will be more of a joke character than anything? Considering Mark used Mr. Satan's English VA clips...
Shame Peach will play the usual "damsel in distress" role (or as Mark refereed to as being the usual dumb blond princess) and we might not even see Princess Daisy since Mark doesn't like her (I blame Double Dash).
I don't really like how Rawk Hawk is essentially a Mr. Satan clone. I guess I can see why though

Well they at least get to be around. The Sonic cast all got the death penalty still, which I think is a grave misuse of the potential chemistries. Last time Sonic and Shadow were essentially Goku and Vegeta the hedgehog, which just paints the more Goku and Vegeta over saturation I fear they'll represent again (Mainly cause most fanworks focus on only Goku and Vegeta if not just Goku)

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:12 am

dbzfan7 wrote:
BlazingBarrrager wrote:Heh...why do I get the feeling Rawk Hawk will be more of a joke character than anything? Considering Mark used Mr. Satan's English VA clips...
I don't really like how Rawk Hawk is essentially a Mr. Satan clone. I guess I can see why though

Well they at least get to be around. The Sonic cast all got the death penalty still, which I think is a grave misuse of the potential chemistries. Last time Sonic and Shadow were essentially Goku and Vegeta the hedgehog, which just paints the more Goku and Vegeta over saturation I fear they'll represent again (Mainly cause most fanworks focus on only Goku and Vegeta if not just Goku)
Well to be fair he was pretty cocky and used different cheating methods to help himself keep the title (like how Mr. Satan rigs the tournament with Majin Buu's help).

Also Fire Sonic better make a return, although have him toned down a bit. He made Fire Mario look like child's play.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:48 am

BlazingBarrrager wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:

Well to be fair he was pretty cocky and used different cheating methods to help himself keep the title (like how Mr. Satan rigs the tournament with Majin Buu's help).

Also Fire Sonic better make a return, although have him toned down a bit. He made Fire Mario look like child's play.
Well I think he is at least supposed to be more credible, considering his boss fight. I dunno I guess I see the Mr. Satan clone thing as just too easy of a joke.

He said he was, and also sticking to Ryan Drummond voice clips. Good, very good. No college fratboy douchebag voice. But that Ballsix whatever guy isn't coming back.

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:18 pm

BlazingBarrrager wrote: Fire Sonic better make a return
Here's what Alvin said when someone asked him if Fire Sonic is returning (Spoiler Inbound)
Last edited by Helios518 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:32 pm

HOLY SHIT, HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT!!!! This totally caught me off guard, my favorite flash series is FREAKING BACK! OMG. And better than ever! I can't wait for Yoshi's island face off. The fight choreography is excelent as always from Alvin, and drawned art gives it more impact. So far... I actually liked this more than all of Super till now.

Super Mario Bros Z (2016) > Dragon Ball Super for me.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

goku1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by goku1234 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:05 pm

wow can't believe that he actually back and reboot the whole series YAY!!!

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:33 pm

Dat Luigi Scene tho :') With the One Punch man soundtrack.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:55 pm

I love this series, hopefully it will go past that poison mushroom scene :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:03 pm

coola wrote:I love this series, hopefully it will go past that poison mushroom scene :)
Well he did show an incomplete episode 9 of the old series showing Mario getting saved again by Luigi.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:02 pm

Well, It really has some good elements introduced better than the original first episode, but I didn't like it the Tournament scenario, I mean it doesn't fit in Mushroom Kingdom IMO, I still prefer the Kart race, other than that I don't think I'm used with sprites animations anymore it looks bad in some shots.

Anyway, good episode overall, looking for the next content!
Last edited by Noah on Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:11 am

The tournament thing makes sense because it was called smash. lol. And even Link appeared on it. (I hope Link makes it to this version of SMBZ)

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:50 am

I also agree with the Kart Racing from the previous version. It may not have been quite as badass, but I don't see sweet ol Peach condoning Smash Tournaments in normal circumstances.

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:41 pm

FoolsGil wrote:I also agree with the Kart Racing from the previous version. It may not have been quite as badass, but I don't see sweet ol Peach condoning Smash Tournaments in normal circumstances.
Regardless, Peach sure knows how to waste the tax coins. No one their currency sucks when compared to other kingdoms. Anyway, I'm honestly good with both. The only issue with the kart race though is that it would most likely be like Double Dash if it was used again.
Noah wrote:Well, It really has some good elements introduced better than the original first episode, but I didn't like it the Tournament scenario, I mean it doesn't fit in Mushroom Kingdom IMO, I still prefer the Kart race, other than that I don't think I used with sprites animations anymore it looks bad in some shots.

Anyway, good episode overall, looking for the next content!
You apparently haven't seen how they play soccer (football outside of the US) in the Mushroom Kingdom then.