Worst Dragon Ball Saga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Worst Dragon Ball Saga?

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:53 pm

Wezenheim wrote:I like almost all of them really. If it counts, definitely the 'F' arc from Super. The movie wasn't that good at all and even though the Super arc had a little bit of a better story, it isn't improved enough for me to get over how ugly it was and how I still hate the story in general. It was longer than the movie too, so we had to sit through more of it. I also hate the Super 17 arc.

In the original manga series? I actually don't really know, I like 'em all. My least favorite arc in the original canon would probably have to be the 2nd half of the Boo arc, after Vegeta blows himself up. It isn't bad, but other than Vegetto being awesome and the final battle with Pure Boo, I just didn't like it as much as everything else. The 1st half was pretty fun.
The F arc is worse than GT's arcs? Woah man, I wouldn't go that far. It's definitely the worst if we're only counting Toriyama's stories though.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:54 pm

Wezenheim wrote:I like almost all of them really. If it counts, definitely the 'F' arc from Super. The movie wasn't that good at all and even though the Super arc had a little bit of a better story, it isn't improved enough for me to get over how ugly it was and how I still hate the story in general. It was longer than the movie too, so we had to sit through more of it. I also hate the Super 17 arc.

In the original manga series? I actually don't really know, I like 'em all. My least favorite arc in the original canon would probably have to be the 2nd half of the Boo arc, after Vegeta blows himself up. It isn't bad, but other than Vegetto being awesome and the final battle with Pure Boo, I just didn't like it as much as everything else. The 1st half was pretty fun.
Imo, only the original 10 arcs deserve to be ranked, GT and Super are cash-grabbing extensions that i can tolerate, but they got nothing on the original run. And that "original run" includes db, dbz, dbkai and manga, which is like 85% of the franchise if Super goes for 100 episodes, which means this shit is usually pure greatness.
72% with just db/z and manga, perfect.
Last edited by Kuririn Fan on Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:59 pm

Bottom worst arcs with top being least shit

-Baby Arc
-Shadow Dragons Arc
-BOG arc
-Super 17 arc
-Super F arc
-Black Star arc
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:01 pm

The Red Ribbon army. Overall it's good but it goes on soooo long (i'm looking at you blue).

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:02 pm

Doctor. wrote:

The F arc is worse than GT's arcs? Woah man, I wouldn't go that far. It's definitely the worst if we're only counting Toriyama's stories though.
Haha I was counting Toriyama's stories mostly, I just brought them both up cause I couldn't really pick. Both are terrible for different reasons, like I said the 'F' arc was just ugly to look at and experience, so that dampened it even more. I will say that the movie at least had a good first half. I actually liked the Bebi arc of GT, so theres's that. Actually, the hunt for the black star dragon balls might be worse just because of how absolutely boring it is.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:05 pm

Cell saga. Which is kinda ironic because when I was buying the Manga there was this guy who hated it and I always went like "Fuck you the Cell sagas so good I don't even have to read it" and then I just skip it and read the Boo saga, once I was finished with Boo I went back and got the Cell saga, I didn't live up to my hype.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:09 pm

The FnF saga in super, the android saga in Z, The baby saga GT, and Lt. Blue saga in the original, there all pretty boring in my eyes.

trick007z
Beyond Newbie

Post by trick007z » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:05 pm

Android/Cell

Everything up until Freeza felt like a natural extension of the story. That was truly the point where I felt like the journey ended and it was just continuing for the sake of continuing. I like to joke that the Cell and Buu arcs are like watching a sitcom's reunion show. They were both ridiculous, but the Buu arc sort of embraced itself and almost went back to the magical roots of the series sort of becoming a hybrid of early and later Dragon Ball. The Cell saga tried to play itself too seriously.

Also Red Ribbon Army might be one of my top arcs. It's about as focused as an Arc can be (simple plot Goku wants the Dragon Balls and so does this evil army). It provides tremendous variety. All the villains in Muscle Tower, Blue, Tao, and Red and Black. It expanded the world more than any arc in the series. The Tao fight established the Dragon Ball formula. It was probably the most Goku centric arc. To me it's up there in the top tier with Saiyan arc, the Frieza arc, and the 23rd Budokai arc.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:31 am

Manga/Kai content for DB and Z. Dragon Ball: Either the Pilaf Arc or parts of the Red Ribbon Army./ Z: As much as I like 16, 17, and 18 as characters the Android arc typically kinda bores me./ GT: The entire first half pretty much./ And then obviously a case cant really be made for Super yet.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:21 pm

For me, it's the Cell Arc. The second half (pretty much after Cell absorbs 17) is boring and tedious, and everyone acts like an idiot. Boo Arc is pretty close, but at least that one has comedy in it. Other than those two, I'd say the Battle of Gods Arc and the Resurrection F Arc from Super. They're not bad, but they're completely unnecessary.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

ToxicFlame707
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ToxicFlame707 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:36 am

The Namek Saga with Frieza's army and stuff. It could have been better if they made Frieza's soldiers more sylish and cool looking. It could have been an action/spy thriller like 24 or something. But no, too many goofy characters all wearing the same thing, never a change of setting or time of day. It was just boring to me.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:30 pm

Battle of Gods Arc in Super was barely even an arc, it had no plot at all, way too much distractions and food gags and a dragged on (but good) fight.
Golden Freeza story was redundant, plot was a mess, and power scaling was ridiculous. (My most disliked storyline)
Super 17 Arc's premise made no sense whatsoever (but Gero & Myu teaming up was cool, gave 18 good characterization and a very good homage kill.)
Black Star Dragons Arc the fights were absolutely terrible. (I do like Omega Shenron vs Goku though.)
GT's space arc, most boring Arc ever watched. Goku was way too underpowered and had Pokemon's pacing.
No. 17 &18 Arc, too much padding no real plot.
Freeza Arc(Namek) First half waiting for Goku to heal took an aggravatingly long time and so much pointless diversions.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

email2003
Beyond Newbie

Post by email2003 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:34 pm

DragonBall - I would say all the fillers in between sagas.
DrgonBall Z - Andriod / Cell Saga & Majin Buu Saga
DragonBall GT - The entire series

damn
Beyond Newbie

Post by damn » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:08 pm

It takes some special shit taste to consider RRA(the objectively best arc on the series) to be the worst one

Anyways the worst are
Cell
Buu
All of GT
All of Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:13 pm

damn wrote:objectively
This rustles my jimmies.

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:11 pm

Doctor. wrote:This rustles my jimmies.
It ruffles my jammies.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:04 am

Either the Cell Games Saga or Kid Buu Saga, since they're both basically just big battle royales with no actual plot. The people who cite the Cell Games Saga as their favorite tend to be the people who are really caught up in the fighting aspect of Dragon Ball.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:25 am

Kakacarrottop wrote:Either the Cell Games Saga or Kid Buu Saga, since they're both basically just big battle royales with no actual plot. The people who cite the Cell Games Saga as their favorite tend to be the people who are really caught up in the fighting aspect of Dragon Ball.
The arc is more appropriate than saga, saga is the whole story from beginning to end. Also, Kid Buu is yet another funimation only / fan name, that form is called Pure Majin Boo. Look at my signature for the accurate arc division. I also used funimation " sagas" for my division, but then i grew up.

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:54 pm

As far as the manga storylines go, I'd have to say the Fortuneteller Baba arch followed by the Red Ribbon Army arch. They're not bad, but they just dont have anything about them that stands out in the way that every other arch does. Most of the archs in the series are usually either more dramatic, have better fights or are funnier.

As for the franchise overall though, most of GT is bad, and the worst arch of all is probably Super 17. It just feels so utterly pointless and lacking any originality.

Darkton
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Darkton » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:53 pm

Just going by the manga, the Cell Arc. The introduction felt like a fanfic with a Mary Sue OC showing up with the same powers as Goku and purple hair, derailing the canon pairing of Yamcha and Bulma for pairing her with Vegeta (which is kind of like pairing Mary Jane with Venom), and setting up a plot that's a ripoff of The Terminator. Everything afterwards involves the cast making bad decisions and ultimately making things worse for themselves in the long run. Buu picks up quite nicely, though.