900 Minutes of Uncut Action, DBZ Season 1 Arrives

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:18 pm

I like the video quite a bit, there is some noise and dirt left, theres a few artifacing errors, but not much.

But that all gets kicked in the balls by the cropping, heads getting cut off, bodies getting cut off, audio is also quite nice.

Subtitles are as good as we have come to expect from Steve Simmons.

All in all, this is honestly, 10 times better then any DBZ dvds we ever could have hoped to get.......until you notice the cropping, then it drops by so fucking much

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:18 pm

What does he mean by how much "more" you will see? There's like a half an inch extra on the end which doesn't really add anything... Is that what he's referring to?

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:18 pm

Kirbopher wrote:Hm...I'm kind of afraid to ask this, but I guess I might as well bite:

Would anyone be willing to upload an episode (or maybe just a reasonably long clip) of an episode in this format? Prefferably in english (since that's obviously something new, and the Japanese audio is unaltered). I've been going through these pictures, and I kinda feel like...I'm the ONLY one who's not really bothered by this whole thing. However, I don't wanna drop $50 that easily, so I'd like to have at least some sort of taste.
Yeah, I'd like to see more than like a half a second of video that's been shown so far.

I'm sure it would be appreciated by all if someone could put up even a 30 second clip or something. Something that demonstrates the quality, and how it looks in motion with the cropping.

Strongbad456
Beyond Newbie

Post by Strongbad456 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:18 pm

I'm still kind of excited. I'm still gonna get it and watch the English version with the Japanese music but the picture will bother me. Why god does Funi fail with DBZ but ultimately succeeds with all their other series? I mean, I love the dub's voices and I think it's great that Funi included the Japanese version on all their DVDs from the Ginyu saga and on but now I'm losing faith in them. Why couldn't Funi make this full screen?!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:19 pm

Kirbopher wrote: Would anyone be willing to upload an episode (or maybe just a reasonably long clip) of an episode in this format? Prefferably in english (since that's obviously something new, and the Japanese audio is unaltered). I've been going through these pictures, and I kinda feel like...I'm the ONLY one who's not really bothered by this whole thing. However, I don't wanna drop $50 that easily, so I'd like to have at least some sort of taste.
Seconded. I, too, would like to get a taste of this stuff in motion.

...Preferably clips from Goku and Vegeta's fight, PLZ.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:19 pm

Mystery Person X wrote:
godofchaos wrote:in the opening minute of the feature about the remastering, the guy in charge talks about how important it was to keep the INTEGRITY of the material
Seriously??

What the...

Does he even know what the word means?!
Unbelievable. That first comparison shot you posted (this one) shows just how false that is.

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:20 pm

Ooh, and also. What's up with the Japanese 2.0 stereo? Is it really stereo? Good question, methinks.

OOOH and also, how does the 5.1 sound with JP BGM sound? Does the music play through all 5 speakers, or just the sound effects/voiceovers?

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:20 pm

Don't know, but the guy talks about seeing more, and how its better because it will fill up your screen.

The bonus features aren't quite as good as we were led to believe either.

You got the 'DBZ Rebirth' feature where the guy in charge of the remastering talks for about 5 minutes about what he did.

You got that bullshit 'tech trailer' from a month or so back.

Clean OP and ED....but cropped.

And a selection of Funimation Trailers

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:21 pm

I hope to God this screenshot isn't from episode 34... If it is then FUNi pulled another Ginyu saga on us (putting the Japanese credits on the wrong episodes). :P
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:22 pm

It is episode 34.

Mystery Person X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystery Person X » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:22 pm

godofchaos wrote:Clean OP and ED....but cropped.
Mmm, worthless.

One of your earlier screencaps showed that the Japanese text was included in the end credits. Is it included in the opening credits as well on the Japanese angle?

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:23 pm

Better idea: Any episode, doesn't matter. Starts from the beginning, with the opening up until the first few minutes of the episode. In english, because that would be what's actually different, as earlier stated.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:24 pm

I tend to be worthless at making clips from DVDs, they always come out looking like someone peed all over the master (so basically like the old DVDS)

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:27 pm

Well I don't that'd matter too much. I think the pictures and all of us discussing about it have clarified that the video quality is fine. Unless you're not adept at making clips in general, you don't need to stress yourself for my sake. I'm just suggesting it for those who haven't picked it up just yet.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:28 pm

I think i was pretty clear that I'm not good at making clips.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:28 pm

godofchaos wrote:It is episode 34.
Wait, wait, wait...hold the motherfucking phone! Are you serious?

Those are the wrong credits...WTF???

Sorry for the bold, but jeez, I was just kidding around. Do they actually have the episode 1 credits on every episode?

Yikes... :?
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:29 pm

*falls over laughing*

Wow. I feel justified.

I'll be buying it and reviewing it when it hits shelves, full technical ramble and DragonBox comparisons. If anyone wants it when I'm done, they can have it. Mention it in the thread here and I'll draw a name at random.

-Corey

Edit:
DBW wrote:
godofchaos wrote:It is episode 34.
Wait, wait, wait...hold the motherfucking phone! Are you serious?

Those are the wrong credits...WTF???

Sorry for the bold, but jeez, I was just kidding around. Do they actually have the episode 1 credits on every episode?

Yikes... :?
I wouldn't be surprised if, as a case of rush DVD authoring, they have the opening and closing once on each disc and have it play before/after each episode (which would explain the lack of Head Cha La, fuck it up once and the whole disc appears to be fucked).
Last edited by MajinVejitaXV on Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:31 pm

Well...to be fair, can anyone here (aside from Julian, Steve and maybe a few others) actually READ the Japanese credits? Yeah, kind've a screw-up, but it's probably not going to matter too much for the vast majority of people who'll be buying it.

EDIT: (My bad Chaos, I misread that.)
Last edited by Kirbopher on Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MysticGohan

Post by MysticGohan » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:31 pm

godofchaos wrote:
b_boult wrote:Can you hurry up and post that 4 way screen as well as a few of the others DBW refers to? I am shattered and want to go to bed!
First off, fuck you.
Guys, it's going to be the same show either way. *Spoiler Alert*: Vegeta is still going to lose this time around. It's 20-50 dollars.. find better things to do then complain about a cartoon. Thanks.
No, I'm going to kill you.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:31 pm

I think even MajinVejita has to admit that some of the shots shown look better than the dragonbox.

EDIT: but as said before, the cropping really kills it.
Last edited by bkev on Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.