Should Funimation skip the first two DB Super arcs?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Should Funimation skip the first two DB Super arcs?

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:44 am

Low Tone G wrote:Absolutely! They should have skiped them and make some summary episodes, but they shouldn't skip the episodes between the arcs, they were refreshing and funny in my opinion.
But how can you have those filler/slice-of-life set between the arcs without the actual material that build ups to those episodes? It would so jarring to watch and would confuse the audience that hasn't seen Battle Of Gods or Resurrection F.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:09 am

No. I thought skipping the Black Star Dragon Ball arc in the US was a bad idea. Funimation marketing them as "Lost Episodes" made me facepalm back in 2005. We are not idiots and anyone with Google would know that is wrong. If they skip the retellings of BOG and ROF then re-release them as "Lost Episodes" would be so stupid.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:18 am

I agree completely with Lord Beerus, Hellspawn, and sintzu that it's just not something they should or would do. After getting 167 episodes of reused footage, what is it exactly that's so offensive about these 27 episodes of newly animated adaptations that warrants skipping?

And editing out references to Piccolo's death? That's asking Funi to stoop to a level they haven't been at since before they went in-house. The series should and will get released with the same final episode count that the Japanese version has.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:35 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Low Tone G wrote:Absolutely! They should have skiped them and make some summary episodes, but they shouldn't skip the episodes between the arcs, they were refreshing and funny in my opinion.
But how can you have those filler/slice-of-life set between the arcs without the actual material that build ups to those episodes? It would so jarring to watch and would confuse the audience that hasn't seen Battle Of Gods or Resurrection F.
They could keep the filler Arc between BOG and FnF having some of the Champa material as-is, and skipping the bullshit of Piccolo's death and the mention about his resurrection. Also, I find a good a idea having Goku to tell Goten and Trunks about Freeza, and Trunks to reply to cut him in half. If I were the Toei I would have skipped that whole FnF Arc.

The whole retelling of BOG and FnF movies doesn't have any use for the promotion of the series, just because they didn't really add anything more interesting. The only thing to be well-done that changing the SSJ-God transformation. Even though I love it, I could live without it.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:04 pm

Low Tone G wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
They could keep the filler Arc between BOG and FnF having some of the Champa material as-is, and skipping the bullshit of Piccolo's death and the mention about his resurrection. Also, I find a good a idea having Goku to tell Goten and Trunks about Freeza, and Trunks to reply to cut him in half. If I were the Toei I would have skipped that whole FnF Arc.

The whole retelling of BOG and FnF movies doesn't have any use for the promotion of the series, just because they didn't really add anything more interesting. The only thing to be well-done that changing the SSJ-God transformation. Even though I love it, I could live without it.
This is a dangerous mentality to take. You can't just assume that a large majority of Dragon Ball fans have watched Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F recently. Remember, it's not just young adults and teenagers who watch Dragon Ball, kids and pre-teens watch it as well. And they make up for a good chunk of the demographic for the Dragon Ball fanbase in the West. How would they find access to watch the movies? You're essentially telling anybody who hasn't watched the recent two DBZ movies, "Well... tough shit. You're not worth it. Now go buy and watch Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F somehow and then you can come back and watch Super. Thanks for understanding." Keeping fans out of the loop is a surefire way of driving away viewers and killing a show. I know that the retellings are disappointing but to assume than a large majority of fans to know the story of Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F off the back of their hand to the degree where you feel as though skipping the first two arcs of Super is something you can afford to do is beyond asinine. It's Continuity Lockout at it's worst. And I hope to God FUNimation don't pull a stunt like this... again.

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:30 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:This is a dangerous mentality to take. You can't just assume that a large majority of Dragon Ball fans have watched Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F recently. Remember, it's not just young adults and teenagers who watch Dragon Ball, kids and pre-teens watch it as well. And they make up for a good chunk of the demographic for the Dragon Ball fanbase in the West. How would they find access to watch the movies? You're essentially telling anybody who hasn't watched the recent two DBZ movies, "Well... tough shit. You're not worth it. Now go buy and watch Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F somehow and then you can come back and watch Super. Thanks for understanding." Keeping fans out of the loop is a surefire way of driving away viewers and killing a show. I know that the retellings are disappointing but to assume than a large majority of fans to know the story of Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F off the back of their hand to the degree where you feel as though skipping the first two arcs of Super is something you can afford to do is beyond asinine. It's Continuity Lockout at it's worst. And I hope to God FUNimation don't pull a stunt like this... again.
I have to admit your point to be right about the little kids fanbase deserve to know about these events which are based on the recent movies, BUT the FnF Arc didn't really add anything to the franchise. That's my opinion.

What did the Fukkastu no F movie?
- It brought back a well-known villain
- Freeza has been borught back just to be killed again
- It didn't generate any despair even thought it was supposed to do
- The Golden Evolution form isn't any original, not even close

I would rather take Monaka instead of Freeza in this movie.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:13 pm

Low Tone G wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:This is a dangerous mentality to take. You can't just assume that a large majority of Dragon Ball fans have watched Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F recently. Remember, it's not just young adults and teenagers who watch Dragon Ball, kids and pre-teens watch it as well. And they make up for a good chunk of the demographic for the Dragon Ball fanbase in the West. How would they find access to watch the movies? You're essentially telling anybody who hasn't watched the recent two DBZ movies, "Well... tough shit. You're not worth it. Now go buy and watch Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F somehow and then you can come back and watch Super. Thanks for understanding." Keeping fans out of the loop is a surefire way of driving away viewers and killing a show. I know that the retellings are disappointing but to assume than a large majority of fans to know the story of Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F off the back of their hand to the degree where you feel as though skipping the first two arcs of Super is something you can afford to do is beyond asinine. It's Continuity Lockout at it's worst. And I hope to God FUNimation don't pull a stunt like this... again.
I have to admit your point to be right about the little kids fanbase deserve to know about these events which are based on the recent movies, BUT the FnF Arc didn't really add anything to the franchise. That's my opinion.

What did the Fukkastu no F movie?
- It brought back a well-known villain
- Freeza has been borught back just to be killed again
- It didn't generate any despair even thought it was supposed to do
- The Golden Evolution form isn't any original, not even close

I would rather take Monaka instead of Freeza in this movie.
The second Goku or Vegeta turn into Super Saiyan Blue in the Champa arc, the first thought that will pop into people's mind who didn't watch Resurrection F when they see that will be, "When and how did Goku and Vegeta learn to do that? And just like that, several fans are out of the loop. Watching the Champa arc, they'll also be asking, "Why is Krillin bald again?", "Why is Gohan wearing a green tracksuit?", "Why do Goku and Vegeta have new outfits?". Fans will then call bullshit on the scenario and quit the show in frustration of what they will perceive as a huge plot holes and major continuity errors.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:41 pm

They could skip them if they aired both movies before Champa arc. Otherwise no. It's all part of the same big arc and too much concepts and key elements get introduced.

Besides, even with all the flaws, Super's retelling of the movies are much less of an insufferable slog to get through compared to most Black Star DBs episodes.

Corey LSSJ Gamer

Post by Corey LSSJ Gamer » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:53 pm

mecha3000 wrote:We all know it's not a question of IF Funimation will get the license to Dragon Ball Super, but WHEN? In my opinion, Funimation should probably skip the first two arcs and come back to them later to generate hype for the series. I understand there's many purists who want them to be faithful to the original series, but we all know that more than half of those purists HATED Super's first two arcs (or at least I assume). So, I propose Funimation do something similar to what they did with Dragon Ball GT. Create a first episode that summarizes half of the BATTLE OF GODS ARC and half of the RESURRECTION F ARC of DB Super. Have the order of episodes be something like this:

01. Return of the Super Warriors! Terror of Destroyer God Beerus and Golden Freeza!! (summary episode like "A Grand Problem)
02. The God of Destruction of the 6th Universe - His Name is Champa
03. It is Settled - We Are Holding a Martial Arts Match! The Team Captain is Stronger than Goku
04. Training for the Tournament! Who Are the Two Remaining Members?!

In the first episode title, you would be able to establish that the Dragon Ball heroes are back and had to face both Beerus and Golden Freeza. Also, I recall Dragon Ball Kai using the name SUPER WARRIORS for the episode when everyone was wished back to life at the end of the Freeza Arc and it just works better here since the show is titled Dragon Ball "SUPER". Maybe Super Warriors would catch on more than Z-Fighters? I'm kidding. But seriously, have the new Ending 3 - "Light Pink" be reworked to be the Funimation version of the show's first ending, starting from my proposed first episode of course.

And I figure I might get posts telling me that my idea is stupid and Funimation shouldn't ruin the integrity of the show like GT, but unlike GT, Super's first two arcs have already been told in better form in the movies. Also, I really want this new Dragon Ball series to have a shot at reviving Dragon Ball's popularity to greater heights outside Japan and by starting the series with better animation and a new story, I feel it can achieve this. Just saying that gives me chills. Thoughts? Hopefully, Toei and Funimation come to an agreement based on the initial reaction of Super that skipping is probably the best option. After watching Super's past two episodes, I don't want the first two arcs to ruin any chance of a possible Dragon Ball popularity revival.
I hate skipping episodes, plus there were good filler episodes in the first 2 arcs like the birth of Pan. I hated the Funimation Gt dub skipping episodes, thats why I use the complete series dvd for GT. I loved the first 2 arcs so they should dub them.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Corey LSSJ Gamer wrote:
mecha3000 wrote:We all know it's not a question of IF Funimation will get the license to Dragon Ball Super, but WHEN? In my opinion, Funimation should probably skip the first two arcs and come back to them later to generate hype for the series. I understand there's many purists who want them to be faithful to the original series, but we all know that more than half of those purists HATED Super's first two arcs (or at least I assume). So, I propose Funimation do something similar to what they did with Dragon Ball GT. Create a first episode that summarizes half of the BATTLE OF GODS ARC and half of the RESURRECTION F ARC of DB Super. Have the order of episodes be something like this:

01. Return of the Super Warriors! Terror of Destroyer God Beerus and Golden Freeza!! (summary episode like "A Grand Problem)
02. The God of Destruction of the 6th Universe - His Name is Champa
03. It is Settled - We Are Holding a Martial Arts Match! The Team Captain is Stronger than Goku
04. Training for the Tournament! Who Are the Two Remaining Members?!

In the first episode title, you would be able to establish that the Dragon Ball heroes are back and had to face both Beerus and Golden Freeza. Also, I recall Dragon Ball Kai using the name SUPER WARRIORS for the episode when everyone was wished back to life at the end of the Freeza Arc and it just works better here since the show is titled Dragon Ball "SUPER". Maybe Super Warriors would catch on more than Z-Fighters? I'm kidding. But seriously, have the new Ending 3 - "Light Pink" be reworked to be the Funimation version of the show's first ending, starting from my proposed first episode of course.

And I figure I might get posts telling me that my idea is stupid and Funimation shouldn't ruin the integrity of the show like GT, but unlike GT, Super's first two arcs have already been told in better form in the movies. Also, I really want this new Dragon Ball series to have a shot at reviving Dragon Ball's popularity to greater heights outside Japan and by starting the series with better animation and a new story, I feel it can achieve this. Just saying that gives me chills. Thoughts? Hopefully, Toei and Funimation come to an agreement based on the initial reaction of Super that skipping is probably the best option. After watching Super's past two episodes, I don't want the first two arcs to ruin any chance of a possible Dragon Ball popularity revival.
I hate skipping episodes, plus there were good filler episodes in the first 2 arcs like the birth of Pan. I hated the Funimation Gt dub skipping episodes, thats why I use the complete series dvd for GT. I loved the first 2 arcs so they should dub them.
All GT DVD released contain the first 16 episodes so your "reason" for using the reboxed Green Brick set is pointless. Plus it has the worst video quality of any release of GT on DVD except for the Australian version.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:42 am

ROCKYIII wrote:Did the same thing with the English version of GT. Skipped the first abomination mess of episodes collectively called "the black star dragonball arc" by OCD fans.
GT is not a continuation of the actual Dragonball story like Super though....written by Akira Toriyama himself.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:52 am

Miracles wrote:
ROCKYIII wrote:Did the same thing with the English version of GT. Skipped the first abomination mess of episodes collectively called "the black star dragonball arc" by OCD fans.
GT is not a continuation of the actual Dragonball story like Super though....written by Akira Toriyama himself.

A totally pointless comment that has nothing to do with it and is wrong as it stands, by the way. GT is a continuation. And in the context you mean, there is no defined answer.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:14 am

Cetra wrote:
Miracles wrote:

A totally pointless comment that has nothing to do with it and is wrong as it stands, by the way. GT is a continuation. And in the context you mean, there is no defined answer.
You are completely right on that, excellent post!

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:11 am

Cetra wrote:
Miracles wrote:

There's no defined answer only if you don't want one, but in reality it's work with involvement from original creator that matters.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:10 am

Why not? They didn't dub Dragon Ball til way later. They skipped the first arc of GT. They might as well skip two shitty Super arcs that have better movie versions, and just cut right to what people give a damn about. Dub the crappy Super rehashes later.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Ssgvegito30
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssgvegito30 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:17 am

I think it be good if fumigation skips the 1st 2 shifty arcs on TV run and release it on dvd/bd so people who want watch it they can do so
"You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there's one thing a Saiyan always keeps! His pride!"

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:50 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Yesssss. I've been saying this for the longest. Those two arcs are explosive diarrhea that are bound to turn people off (even I stopped watching...). What Funimation and Toonami can do is something of a countdown to Super. One Saturday airing Battle of Gods. The other airing Resurrection F. Then, they can start Super with episode 28 and a little inserted recap.

It's the same thing. The only important piece people will miss is Gohan asking Piccolo to train him. Nothing else is really relevant.
I agree with this^. In the end, the first two arcs of Dragon Ball Super make things really confusing as to what exactly happened after Goku fought Buu. We know that summarily, Goku fights Beerus and Freeza; But the amount of differences between the movies and the anime, especially since Toriyama declared both the movies and the anime to be a "continuation" of his manga, makes things very perplexing (I should hope there aren't too many differences between the Super manga and anime). Super, with its first two arcs, is like a double-edged sword: it contradicts GT (which for many that dislike GT, is a good thing), but also contradicts the movies (which is bad for all of us). Plus, I don't think I'd like to see episode 5 all over again... O_o

Though, I will admit, I did like the extended fight between SSG Goku and Beerus. But I really wanted to see more of Goku and Vegeta's training with Whis, SSG Vegeta, and Freeza's training, but we never got that.... :/

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:14 pm

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Yesssss. I've been saying this for the longest. Those two arcs are explosive diarrhea that are bound to turn people off (even I stopped watching...). What Funimation and Toonami can do is something of a countdown to Super. One Saturday airing Battle of Gods. The other airing Resurrection F. Then, they can start Super with episode 28 and a little inserted recap.

It's the same thing. The only important piece people will miss is Gohan asking Piccolo to train him. Nothing else is really relevant.
I agree with this^. In the end, the first two arcs of Dragon Ball Super make things really confusing as to what exactly happened after Goku fought Buu. We know that summarily, Goku fights Beerus and Freeza; But the amount of differences between the movies and the anime, especially since Toriyama declared both the movies and the anime to be a "continuation" of his manga, makes things very perplexing (I should hope there aren't too many differences between the Super manga and anime). Super, with its first two arcs, is like a double-edged sword: it contradicts GT (which for many that dislike GT, is a good thing), but also contradicts the movies (which is bad for all of us). Plus, I don't think I'd like to see episode 5 all over again... O_o

Though, I will admit, I did like the extended fight between SSG Goku and Beerus. But I really wanted to see more of Goku and Vegeta's training with Whis, SSG Vegeta, and Freeza's training, but we never got that.... :/
Nope the movies don't matter anymore. Toriyama said that super was a continuation from manga the Majin Buu arc. And there are A LOT of things that Super adds and much more content pack than both movies. And it would be one the of the biggest Continuity Lockout in history like Lord Beerus said if they didn't start super from the beginning.

Iberian_Saiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Iberian_Saiyan » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:13 pm

No matter how bad the first two seasons of Super were, they're simply not going to skip. It's part of the show.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:58 pm

Both arcs combined is just enough of an episode count to be considered one single season by western standards. If they release it as one or possibly two DVD/Blu-rays sets, and run it on television on a weekday schedule for the first two arcs, then switch to a once a week run once the new material starts, you're looking at roughly two months tops to get through all of it for new viewers before stretching out the new material over a longer period of time. That's probably the best way to go about it in my opinion.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..