Episode #0061 (21 January 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:32 am

Here's a thought someone get some GT clips & record them over with Mike's impersonations. I'll pay anyone $10 who does this the best.........I'm serious.

....Well, just maybe.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:44 am

Quickie thoughts:

-- Yay, Mike got the year right.

-- Yay, Julian's back! Finally some law and order will be restored! Although I have enjoyed Jeff and Andrew dropping in the past couple weeks.

-- I was bracing my own dub-loving self for the full-on VegettoEX "grobble grobble grobble" otaku scream/rant when we got to the topic, but I was pleasantly surprised by the things that were discussed... which pretty much people who listen to this podcast can relate to and agree with.

-- Not since Meri's "IT'S A ROBOT CHICKEN!" did I laugh so hard at Mike's ghetto version of Dragonball GT.

-- Aww, no Top 5 or DBZ ABC's (yet)... maybe Julian might start over with A, or is something bigger and better in store?

All in all, another fun podcast. It's a podcast that even diehard dubbies can love!
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

FUNimation Transliterations

Post by Acid_Reign » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:48 am

This is in response to the whole Bulma/Hirudegarn discussion you guys had going on.

I dunno about the rest of you, but personally I find the newer FUNimation name transliterations to be confusing and a little annoying. For instance—and I'm sure Mike is well-aware of this—the official American spelling of Bejitto is "Vegito." Now, in most cases that spelling would be perfectly justifiable, seing as the double consonant would be arbitrary in English, but when you've already established one half of that character as "Vegeta," (with two e's like in "vegetable") an "I" just doesn't make any sense.

Surprising also are things like Buu keeping the Romanization, rather than the B-o-o spelling that appears often in the visuals. Ma-jin too, remains the same...almost treating it as a surname, while Saiya-jin has long been indicative of race as in "Saiyan." (Though I am admittedly hard-pressed to find an easy way to express "Majin" otherwise...Mān? Magic?)

I strongly disagree with "Hirudegarn" because it forces a hard stress on the "ru" in English which just isn't that natural-sounding.

In any case, it seems to me that FUNimation tried "upping" its literal transcriptions...which, although it shows that they are being in a sense truer to the original, concurrently seems like laziness on their part.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:12 pm

This was the first episode I watched.

60+ episodes? Damn, didn't know there was that much to discuss about DBZ lol.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

scottdahl

Post by scottdahl » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:51 pm

One of the Funi cover ups I think is worth talking about was the eye catcher deal.
In the first year or two of the DVDs Funi said they did not have the rights to the eye catchers, but mysteriously when they started to produce the Buu saga DVDs they appeared.
Thats one reason I am looking forward to the early season sets, but I hope the croping doesn't make me hit my head against the wall.
Scott

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:56 pm

scottdahl wrote:In the first year or two of the DVDs Funi said they did not have the rights to the eye catchers, but mysteriously when they started to produce the Buu saga DVDs they appeared.
We were actually going to bring that up at Meri's request, but then we couldn't find any quotes before recording time to create a conversation off of :). But yeah, we definitely had that one in mind.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:36 pm

Pretty nice. And it's Brice Armstrong who does Ginyu. He also does Dr. Marcoh on FMA and is the narrator of Dragon Ball.