900 Minutes of Uncut Action, DBZ Season 1 Arrives

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Strongbad456
Beyond Newbie

Post by Strongbad456 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:12 am

My FYE has always had anime. Even when it was under a different name(Record Town I think??) they had anime.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:48 am

Mine used to carry anime regularly but now it's just this blank set of shelves in the store.

Hopefully since Suncoast went out and the only other place to even attempt buying anime is Wal-Mart or Walden Books (both with very limited selections) FYE will be like "there's no competition now" and start carrying anime.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:57 am

Just a reminder to everyone...

Please try to keep this thread as on-topic as humanly possible. When it reaches something like 27 pages, people tend to stray off and talk about other things. (Especially) as there are *so* many other people and sites looking in at our forums, threads, and discussions regarding these sets, and referencing all of your fine work, I would really appreciate it if everyone could step it up a notch.

Not that you usually don't :).

Thanks!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:30 am

Okay. Uhh, grrrrrr, FUNi! I, uhh, don't like the new boxsets!

Objecti-- crap!...

Seriously, though, I can't wait until a decent video clip of the set is posted online for all of us to look at. Those trailers do nothing for the "decide for yourself" factor... not that they're supposed to do anything beyond making someone go "OMG ME LIEKY I WANT BUY NOW" or something.

That, and I can't wait for the podcast to have a review.
(they/she)

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:44 am

I think people are too lazy to post a video clip lol.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:45 am

JAPPO wrote:I think people are too lazy to post a video clip lol.
It's more of a time hog than you think. I'm sure we'll see something soon though.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:00 pm

If no one post clips by the time I get this set, Iam going to make a new topic with crap everyone has been asking for. Clips, menus, book scans, maybe some audio. All that good stuff.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:03 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
If no one post clips by the time I get this set, Iam going to make a new topic with crap everyone has been asking for. Clips, menus, book scans, maybe some audio. All that good stuff.
When are you getting it?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:18 pm

I know FUNimation somtimes plays around with the colors but, how do they get sky blue from that greenish blue? What did they do to get that color? Those seem to be two totally different colors.
When are you getting it?
Dont know, maybe somtime this week? Iam going to Virgin Megastore today though, they had Super Mario Super Show season 1 early so heres hoping...

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:25 pm

Screenshots really don't help me decide.

b_boult
Beyond Newbie

Post by b_boult » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:33 pm

Yes the time is nigh for some video clips. I'm surprised that 3 days later we still don't have a single one.

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:23 pm

Just to add to the "way it was meant to be seen" thing, I went and watched the old FUNi episode of Goku going SSJ3 cropped to 16:9.

Now I know that they zoomed in abit, and I know I was minus the extra footage on the sides, but after watching it like that, 60% of the episode was fine. Other shots, however, just looked bad, and some made me cringe.

I can vividly point out 3 very bad parts that not even the zooming out (which on the top and bottom is essentially worsened by the cropping.) and extra side footage would fix, in fact it would probably worsen it.

-There is a shot in which Goku and Buu float high in the air, and the shot is angled from the ocean, and looking up. Goku and Buu are at the very top of the shot, and cropped, I only saw their feet.
-Another shot when it shows Bulma, Roshi, Krillin, etc. all watching the fight through Babidi, it pans over all of them standing there. Well, Android 18 is shown at the bottom, and only the top of her head is shown. This same "panning across the screen" shot is replayed like 3 times throughout the episode, and it's just bad with the same problem happening; I'm sure this is something that would still occur throughout the rest of the series.
-And the worst part is when it shows Goten and Piccolo watching the fight, and Goten says "Do it Dad!" (I was watching the dub, not sure if that's what's said in the Japanese version.. meh), and Goten is at the bottom of the screen. All you see is a couple spikes of hair, and it looks awkward... I kindof laughed because Goten's hair reminded me of a plant... O_o

Even with zooming out, the cropping will kill the top and bottoms anyways, so I don't think these shots would get any better, and it was just... irritating to watch it when stuff like that happens. And this is all one episode, mind you.

This is just worse case scenario junk. Most of the episode does involve a lot of heads and feet being cut out, and I know it's not too important of stuff, but it's still being cut out. Which, to me, just feels... wrong (for lack of a better word atm).

If I really want to get any more of a taste for widescreen, I will snag the first disc of the set from Netflix, but other than that, my view still stands that the show was made for fullscreen, and does not look so hot otherwise. It didn't really have a "cinematic" feel to it either... more like a "glass half empty/full" feeling if that makes any sense.
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:29 pm

Don't get your hopes up on Netflix. Once they have part of a series and that collection goes kaput, they don't try to go for the box sets.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:35 pm

nathantheguitarist wrote:This is just worse case scenario junk. Most of the episode does involve a lot of heads and feet being cut out, and I know it's not too important of stuff, but it's still being cut out. Which, to me, just feels... wrong (for lack of a better word atm).
With some of the shots I saw from this thread it felt that the cropping made foreground characters seem like they were zoomed in on more than usual and not in a good way. It's like "OMG I'm STANDING OUT" and I'm sitting there wondering where the rest of the character ran off to.
(they/she)

Son Gohan

Post by Son Gohan » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:40 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
That would be excellent. If anybody could do that now....

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:55 pm

Making a home made 16:9 video is not the same.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:02 pm

JAPPO wrote:Making a home made 16:9 video is not the same.
We know that. It was even mentioned by Nathan that it's not the same as if you add the stuff to the sides.
(they/she)

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:32 pm

Jeez... what did you do? Read the first sentence and go "WtF Ur S0 STOopiD!! ITZZ NIOT ETH SEAM!11"?

I know that, but the zooming out and added footage to the sides still doesn't help the cropped top and bottom, and those shots I mentioned would still be killed.
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:38 pm

nathantheguitarist wrote:-There is a shot in which Goku and Buu float high in the air, and the shot is angled from the ocean, and looking up. Goku and Buu are at the very top of the shot, and cropped, I only saw their feet.
Actually, after comparing the provided DragonBox anf FUNi widescreen screenshots, I noticed that FUNi actually did move around the positioning of the black bars so that scenes like the one you mentioned wouldn't suck (as much).

But...
Now I know that they zoomed in abit, and I know I was minus the extra footage on the sides, but after watching it like that, 60% of the episode was fine. Other shots, however, just looked bad, and some made me cringe.
Yeah. I think we should all keep in mind that there are slightly more scenes in the anime where the cropping doesn't really matter. It's just that around 40% that makes us all cringe in fear and rage and... other stuff.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:43 pm

nathantheguitarist wrote:
Jeez... what did you do? Read the first sentence and go "WtF Ur S0 STOopiD!! ITZZ NIOT ETH SEAM!11"?

I know that, but the zooming out and added footage to the sides still doesn't help the cropped top and bottom, and those shots I mentioned would still be killed.
Just wanted to clarify it's not the same :)