Wanna tell FUNi how you feel about the widescreen issue?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Wanna tell FUNi how you feel about the widescreen issue?

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:04 pm

I don't mean to cockblock on the petition angle, but I really don't think an online list of signatures will do much good. It shows you care, but the energy is better directed elsewhere.

Taking it upon myself to look into the matter, I spoke to one of FUNimation's marketing associate's earlier today and got the following:
FUNimation Marketing Associate wrote:Honestly the best way to file a complaint is to write an actual letter. We have not seen a single letter arrive even though on the boards people say they have mailed letters. Same goes with the petitions, we have not received a single one. If someone coordinates a real petition and then sends a printed copy up or the letters, that’s physical proof that the DBZ Brand Manager can give to the higher ups. The address is still the same:

Funimation Entertainment
6851 NE Loop 820, Suite 400
Ft Worth, TX 76180

They just need it to say attn DBZ Brand Manager

I won’t lie it’ll take a lot of signatures to spend that kind of money again to do a different set. So if people are serious and actually do it cool, but honestly so far it’s only been complaints on the message boards.
Recap: It's gonna take tangible proof of a problem for FUNimation to change anything. A lot of tangible proof.

"A letter? Sounds like a pain in the ass..."

No, not really. I wrote it for you already. Just fill in the spots in brackets, look it over and drop it in the mail. If you want to customize it, go ahead but keep in mind this is a professional complaint. Keep it civil, intelligent and to the point.

To whoever wrote the petition Kendamu posted, I give co-credit on the writing. I took it and streamlined it and added my own stuff.

Thoughts? Suggestions? If you guys sign on, I'll post it on AnimeonDVD's forum too.

-Corey

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:09 pm

Hm...this seems quite well done from what I can see. I think if they gave enough of a shit to change the disc number to 5 instead of 6, simply because of feedback, I think this has a chance of working. One thing though, are you sure the company won't get suspicious at all that the letter will be prettymuch the same exact thing over and over?

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:12 pm

This is good to hear. I was going to look through every one of these threads and try and come up with stuff to send to FUNi in a letter myself, since their phone numbers either didn't work, or just gave me bullshit recordings.

I suggest posting this in the AOD forums, and even FUNi's forum. :wink:
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:12 pm

Not at all, I've done this sort of thing before. The letters will come from different physical locations, as proven by the postmarks, so they'll know different people are contacting them. Plus, putting a name and address which can be verified if they so wish also proves you exist (unlike an online petition which only asks for an email, but since there are plenty of anonymous email services...)

-Corey

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:13 pm

Kirbopher wrote:Hm...this seems quite well done from what I can see. I think if they gave enough of a shit to change the disc number to 5 instead of 6, simply because of feedback, I think this has a chance of working. One thing though, are you sure the company won't get suspicious at all that the letter will be prettymuch the same exact thing over and over?
But it'll have a different name and address every time! I'm in for this, and I hope others are as well. I suggest that we post something like this to other (professional) Dragon Ball boards. I'll eat my shorts (and take a picture, VegettoEX style) if FUNimation starts releasing Fullscreen versions of the series.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:15 pm

Now this is more like it!

I pretty much ignored the online petition(s), as I know how utterly useless those things are. But this... this could work. Count me in on this.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:16 pm

Oh I know that, but I meant as far as the actual letter itself goes. Eh, although I guess looking at it from the standpoint of online petitions that HAVE worked (if any at all) it would also be the same concept, with people simply agreeing on the same subject.

Aright, sounds good to me then. Hats off to the "way it was truly meant to be seen" bit at the end. I'm sure that'll raise a few heads at the office XD; And yeah, I agree with posting this on some other forums. Let's see if we can pull off a miracle boys and girls.

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:25 pm

Posted to AnimeonDVD. Let's get the word out to the civil forums, see if we can make some noise ;)

-Corey

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:26 pm

We could do this as a form letter, but then wouldn't it mean less if hundreds sent in the same letter?
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:28 pm

BrollysKin wrote:We could do this as a form letter, but then wouldn't it mean less if hundreds sent in the same letter?
Not at all. Earlier this week a group I belong to halted a bill that was being considered by sending form letters. The idea is to show our numbers, and our unity on the subject. Plus, this guarantees a certain measure of intelligence in the letters. We'd look a lot worse if FUNi got letters that said, "LOL WIDESCREEN IS the SUX! FULLSCREN DRAGUNBALL RULEZ!!11"

-Corey

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:31 pm

Well, I think most of us who did sign the petition didn't really think it was going to go far, it was with good intention I suppose. As for the proposal in this thread, I'd like to help out. When you say a lot of tangible proof, how much are you talking?
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:34 pm

We need to show that FUNimation is losing a considerable share of the market with their widescreen release. Every letter counts, but we're probably going to need hundreds if not thousands of people to send them in. Best we can do is send them in, spread the word and hope the numbers add up. It's better than doing nothing, right?

-Corey

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Wanna tell FUNi how you feel about the widescreen issue?

Post by Kula » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:02 pm

FUNimation Marketing Associate wrote:Honestly the best way to file a complaint is to write an actual letter. We have not seen a single letter arrive even though on the boards people say they have mailed letters.
I sent a letter to FUNimation in November to the EXACT address. I find it hard to believe that every single letter sent in was lost in the mail. It couldn't hurt to try again though.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:07 pm

Sweet! It worked for Big O. It should work for this, too!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:26 pm

Done and sent. I hope this works.

Mike
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mike » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:47 pm

Wow this is absolutely amazing. While any online petition will be ignored, a large scale "letter attack" like this might actually work. I know something similar was done successfully in regards to the second season of Justice League also regarding wide screen issues.

I'll be dropping my letter in the mail tomorrow. I did take it upon myself to add in an extra line in the third paragraph. "It would also help if omissions such as next episode previews and appropriate opening/ending themes were included." I know it's not the central issue here but it can't hurt to ask.

Android18
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Android18 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:15 pm

Let me tell you this.

Who the heck cares?

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:16 pm

Android18 wrote:Let me tell you this.

Who the heck cares?
Obviously everyone here...
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:29 pm

Would it be a good idea to post this on FUNi's forum. Yes I know that most of them are unintelligent 12 year olds who don't give a rat's ass about the aspect ratio, but the few smart people there might be able to help our cause.

Emphasis on this..
We need to show that FUNimation is losing a considerable share of the market with their widescreen release. Every letter counts, but we're probably going to need hundreds if not thousands of people to send them in. Best we can do is send them in, spread the word and hope the numbers add up. It's better than doing nothing, right?
Last edited by Ex-Dubbie369 on Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b_boult
Beyond Newbie

Post by b_boult » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:41 pm

FUNiRepBlue from the AOD forums:
I had started a reply earlier when I had to leave for a couple of meetings. Since then a few more posts have emerged. One of which was a copy and paste from a personal email to someone I had helped out with a defective product in the past. Both Red and myself pride ourselves on being approachable and available to chat with fellow fans. I may have to rethink how and what I do to prevent the abuse of trust through personal interaction, so that my own personal opinions will not be misused as official FUNi Responses.
With that being said this is the post I prepared earlier in response to Loafy & Blitzen before having to leave for my meetings:

You pegged it. There's nothing new to report. They haven't come up with another FAQ. Although besides Red and Myself turning in reports on the forum chatter I know the other people in charge of DBZ are watching the sites as well.

I haven't said much since I don't personally have much of an opinion. I have only seen bits and pieces of the old DBZ. I recently got in my copy of the Season set but haven't sat down yet to watch. (Been catching up on the other shows like Rumbling Hearts, Black Cat, etc). I also have a widescreen tv so I only buy in that format anyway when I have a choice (again that's just a personal preference).

Someone had mentioned earlier a letter writing campaign. By far this would probably be the best way to go about things. Petitions online are difficult to verify. However an actually letter sent in would be something the DBZ Manager could show to the Executives. To date we have only received 1 actual letter. If you guys would like the address again see below:

FUNimation Entertainment
C/O DBZ Brand Manager
6851 NE Loop 820
Suite 400
Fort Worth, TX 76180

Actually both Red and myself give weekly updates on the message boards (over several of them) so we are very aware of the concerns over DBZ.
If I print out the actual post it does not have the same effect because many of the posts are from the same people rehashing the same points. The reason I suggested an actual letter is they show each individual person that took the time and effort to send it. We have only received one actual letter to date (I verified with the DBZ Brand Manager before adding this post).

At any rate we are aware of many of your concerns and as always we look forward to your questions and feedback.

~FUNiRepBlue Out!~

Go Colts.