Fixing the Manga

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EmmaWinters

Fixing the Manga

Post by EmmaWinters » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:58 am

With the 3-in-1 fiasco ongoing, and VIZ seemingly unaware that censorship exists in their product, I started to wonder what a "perfect" VIZ release would look like. And by that, I mean a flawed-but-honest attempt at fixing things up for us. I realize that will never happen, so I decided to do it myself for the sake of my personal collection. This post will serve as a public journal detailing the edits I make, and will hopefully interest at least a few people.

For this project, I chose to edit my Full Colors, and will do future volumes as they're made available. VIZ's "3 volumes a year" release schedule will allow me to take my time and decide exactly how much I intend to change in the long run. This project is by no means fully comprehensive; I plan to keep as much of VIZ's original script as I can unless what they wrote is blatantly wrong or otherwise bothers me.

My long-term goals:

Remove all instances of visual censorship. Guns, middle fingers, "Herculopolis", etc. Hopefully – unlike the 3-in-1s – the Full Colors will be uncensored as promised, and I won't have to do any of this with the exception of Mr. Popo.

Restore all instances of censored dialog. By this I mean the "damn"s and "bastard"s that VIZ deemed too extreme in later reprints. This will be the most difficult part for me, because I don't own the original prints of Dragon Ball Z, only the edited run.

Correct blatant issues with the original translation. For example, the Vegeta-killed-Gohan reference to the Ocean dub will be removed once I get there.

What I want from you guys:

Suggestions! Let me know what you've always wanted to see VIZ change.

Examples of censorship. Mainly profanity/dialog, but if you think I've missed something (or will miss something), feel free to let me know.

What I don't want from you guys:

Requests for download links. Probably best not to open that can of worms.
If you want to make these edits to your own copies, the font used is a premium font called Samaritan.

Volumes:
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Ajay

Re: Fixing the Manga

Post by Ajay » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:13 pm

Oooo, you changed way more than what you showed me the other day.

Surprised you didn't go with Herms' beloved "Devil Drill Cannon" for the Makankosappo.

Love that you're subtlety fixing their garbage typesetting in places, too.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:58 am

Roshi's joke was printed basically uncensored in the Viz singles. It was as follows:
And, no, "I'dve" is not really a word, just as "I'd've" is not really a word. Viz seems to be struggling with that one. They should go with "I'd have" or just use a different phrasing completely. That's what I'd have done. 8)
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:11 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:Roshi's joke was printed basically uncensored in the Viz singles. It was as follows:
And, no, "I'dve" is not really a word, just as "I'd've" is not really a word. Viz seems to be struggling with that one. They should go with "I'd have" or just use a different phrasing completely. That's what I'd have done. 8)
I beg to difer as I'd've is a completely legitimate, albeit informal, contraction of I would/should have.
これはシグネチャではない
Personal blog - myriadleaves.eu

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:08 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:Roshi's joke was printed basically uncensored in the Viz singles. It was as follows:
Thanks a million! Fixed.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:25 am

Damn! I knew what it was trying to be a contraction of, I just thought that "I'd have" was the proper way to write that phrase, and that "I'd've" was more or less nonsense. I even did a Google search myself to make sure I was correct before posting those outrageous claims as to the legitimacy of the word, and I somehow missed that Collins entry (and all of the other entries, apparently). Forgive me for spewing such nonsense, and thank you for politely correcting me.
EmmaWinters wrote:Thanks a million! Fixed.
No problem! If you're going for complete accuracy as to how it was in the Viz single, than I should tell you that I accidentally added an extra hyphen at the end of "bre" before the GAN in my original post (I am just sharp as a tack today), so it should read "fondle your bre--" as opposed to "fondle your bre---". Sorry. I'm a baboon.

Looks great, though! I've thought about doing something like this ever since the Full Colors were first released. Is this something you plan on printing for yourself or is it just going to be digital?
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:36 am

Very, very nice job, Emma!

As I've told you a few days ago on twitter, it's a real shame Viz can't just revise the old translation and use their current standards. It wouldn't even be that hard - Dragon Ball is so linguistically easy, even as an intermediate Japanese student (JLPT N3) I can understand about 99% of it with no help from the dictionary. The Full Colors would have been the perfect time, too: they could have used the debut of this new, revised, premium edition of the manga to take the time to update their translation. It wouldn't even take that long, their current translation isn't even that bad, it mostly just needed to make the style of speech closer to the original Japanese and to eliminate the few missteps (and blatantly wrong things) sprinkled here and there.

It's also a shame that, were it not for Mr. Popo, the Full Colors could have been the first 100% visually uncensored English release of the manga. I don't even see why they feel like they must absolutely censor it. FUNimation never censored it on their releases, and I don't see them getting any flack for it.

It's too bad you can't just print these, even if only for yourself. Self-printing a book with publishing house quality is not only hard and time-consuming, it costs an arm and a leg. A physical copy with a perfect translation would be a dream come true for a lot of us. Personally, I feel digital isn't really suited for manga and comics -- I've always been a supporter of the good ol' "dead trees". But I suppose if you don't mind digital, you're good to go.

Anyway, again, very nice job with these. I'll post again if I remember something you might have missed, but it looks like you've got it all pretty much covered. Only thing I can remember right now is: will you also swap every instance of "Chi" for "Ki"?

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:22 pm

I am getting a serious Emperor Palpatine vibe out of this.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:31 pm

jrdemr wrote:will you also swap every instance of "Chi" for "Ki"?
Not at the moment, but I may go back and do this later.
Puto wrote:
I am getting a serious Emperor Palpatine vibe out of this.
Oh god, you're totally right.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:17 pm

Great work, EmmaWinters! :clap:

Thank you so damn much especially for giving Popo his lips back. I still don't understand what the thinking process was with Viz in removing his lips because he looks fucking frightening without them. :wtf:

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:41 pm

Seeing the title for Chapter #008 on the bottom of that panel reminded me: most of the titles' translations were botched as well, not to mention Viz restarted the chapter count during the "Z" portion. They could definitely use a touch-up if it's something you're interested in.

And if it were me doing this project, I'd be in favor of using the unmolested artwork in place of Viz overlaying the chapter number and "title" to the corner of the image.

thejeremymenace
Beyond Newbie

Post by thejeremymenace » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:22 pm

This is an awesome project. I've toyed with the idea of writing a script that could take changes like this and apply them to a set of digital copies -- basically sharing the changes for people to have without blatantly sharing the manga itself.

It could be done via a patch (or some other, more complicated method). The only problem with the patch is that it could only work per release. That is to say, the changes to the full color versions wouldn't work with the original B&W versions and vice versa.
デデーン
Twitter: @gravitypriest
Dragon Radar ~ Subtitles for the Dragon Box Thread | Download | Source
Dragon Ball dialogue bot @dbz_ebooks | Thread | Source

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:35 pm

Interesting project, I hope to see it completed someday.
Retired.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:32 am

I'd love the full color manga even more if Viz put the effort to change their outdated translation like this