North American Japanese Music CD Releases

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

North American Japanese Music CD Releases

Post by Thanos » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:02 am

Do you guys think that FUNimation will import and sell the original Dragon Ball Z music from Japan on CD in America? I think it's possible, because of the new "Remastered" Dragon Ball Z sets they're putting out with the original music. What are everyone's thoughts on this? Personally I think it would be a major fan-gasm. At least for me anyways.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:06 am

If you can put sounds in Widescreen then just might do it!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:56 pm

I doubt it, the majority of Funi's customers know Faulconer's music, and he already has soundtracks out.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:57 pm

No. FUNimation would not pay for it.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:50 pm

Although I know that Faulconer's music has been dominating the American version of DBZ, I think it would make sense for FUNi to try and make more money from these season sets by releasing the JP music along with it, as you mentioned. The new season sets coming out would definitely be a good excuse to start releasing the JP music.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:52 pm

If ADV was releasing the original BGM cds of the Slayers OVAs (whose popularity pales in comparison to DBZ obviously) and still making big bucks off of them, then FUNi should follow that example.

But this is FUNimation and Dragonball so..... :x :?

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:58 pm

If they have common sense they will hopefully but.... this is funimation we're talking about.
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:18 pm

I think we have a better chance of getting a new animated DBZ movie.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Re: North American Japanese Music CD Releases

Post by Casual Matt » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:57 pm

Thanos wrote:Do you guys think that FUNimation will import and sell the original Dragon Ball Z music from Japan on CD in America? I think it's possible, because of the new "Remastered" Dragon Ball Z sets they're putting out with the original music. What are everyone's thoughts on this? Personally I think it would be a major fan-gasm. At least for me anyways.
I never thought of that, but now I have a faint hope of it happening.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:00 pm

Depends on whether Columbia records has international publishing rights to the songs.

-Corey

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:27 pm

Castor Troy wrote:If ADV was releasing the original BGM cds of the Slayers OVAs (whose popularity pales in comparison to DBZ obviously) and still making big bucks off of them, then FUNi should follow that example.

But this is FUNimation and Dragonball so..... :x :?
I believe you answered your own question sir.

Daizensushi-x
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daizensushi-x » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:10 pm

Kendamu wrote:If you can put sounds in Widescreen then just might do it!
Hilarious. :lol:
(I've been saying that a lot lately)

Anyways, I'm just gonna have to agree with most people and say that it won't happen.

*exits*
-My First short film
Revenge at the Dojo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCK5q8Bcof8

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:45 pm

FUNimation can't be counted on for this sort of thing, but the worst thing that could happen is them not putting a CD set out, so if we can't hope for the best, we can at least hope for a-little-higher-than-realistic. FUNimation sometimes surprises even me. I mean, they *did* throw in some cropped-up BGM for the menus of the DragonBall DVD sets, some of which have never been released on CD before, and that's better than nothing.
On the other hand, what if Columbia Records has full rights? If FUNi wants to get the rights from them to release the Japanese BGM on CD, odds are Columbia might pull some stunt like Toei did when FUNi started putting out the DVDs - remember how they wouldn't give FUNi the audio to the next-episode previews as a kind of "safeguard" against the Japanese fans importing the FUNi discs? What would Columbia do? Not give FUNi Kikuchi's masters, and allow them to only release the music in its cropped-up form as it is heard in the TV series? Guhhh, I shudder.
But if, in the 1 of 1,000 chance, FUNi *does* release the CDs, can we expect them to do it *right*? We should all bug them all nitpicky-like. Bruce Faulconer certainly obliged, but I'm guessing his albums were self-produced, and this is easily a different story seeing as how FUNi didn't compose the music themselves.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.