900 Minutes of Uncut Action, DBZ Season 1 Arrives

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:15 pm

raz1337 wrote:I just got my copy today. However, as I knew they changed around some lines, one thing jumped out at me as I was watching Lesson Number One on Disc 5.

This is the episode that has the part before Goku begins his fight with Vegeta where Krillin says his infamous line.

Vegeta Saga DVD

Krillin: Hey Goku, you're my friend, we grew...up together. Just make sure that, that we both grow old together, too.

Funimation dub

Krillin: Goku. You're my friend. We grew up together. Let's just make sure that, well, that we both grow old together.

Now, aren't any flashbacks in future episodes uncut footage?

In the Cell Games saga, the episode No Worries Here, there is a flashback of Krillin's to this exact line. It's different from both of the above.

Krillin: Hey Goku. You and I grew up together, so let's just make that we... that we grow old together.

That line was changed apparently, it's just something I noticed when watching this episode since it's in a flashback in the 10 days before the Cell Games.
I'm confused lol
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:21 pm

One is from the 1997 (edited) dub and one is from the "Ultimate Uncut" dub.

Gokuden553
Banned

Post by Gokuden553 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:27 pm

Duo wrote:
fps_anth wrote:
Gokuden553 wrote:I found this on a different DBZ forum and couldn't resist but to post it here so I have...

[img]ttp://img400.imageshack.us/img400/8706/lolwidescreenjk8.jpg[/img]
I lol'd. Unfortunately, 4Kids topped the FUCK out of widescreen. I'd take widescreen in a second for a good One Piece dub. At least with the Japanese dub on the DVD.
That is pretty funny, but I do agree. FUNi couldn't top 4kids if they went back 10 years and TRIED.
He he thanks, here's another...

Well I'm off to bed.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:28 pm

I believe I was scolded for posting silly pictures (actually it was just one). I don't see why guys can.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:30 pm

raz1337 wrote:That line was changed apparently, it's just something I noticed when watching this episode since it's in a flashback in the 10 days before the Cell Games.
Well the reason some lines are gonna be changed throughout the series is so they'll be consistent with things like flashbacks, which DBZ has a lot of. The way the dub is now, I'm pretty sure the Gohan headbutting Raditz scene has at least three different dubs under FUNi.

(looks at the comments about the set on discount animedvd.com and twitches) It's like in those monster movies where everyone won't believe a handful of people about something that's actually true :(.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

email2003
Beyond Newbie

Post by email2003 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:33 pm

I'm not sure if you guys have seen this but over at AnimeonDVD.com's forum, that FUNIrepBlue p[osted this on the concerns of DBZ:

I had started a reply earlier when I had to leave for a couple of meetings. Since then a few more posts have emerged. One of which was a copy and paste from a personal email to someone I had helped out with a defective product in the past. Both Red and myself pride ourselves on being approachable and available to chat with fellow fans. I may have to rethink how and what I do to prevent the abuse of trust through personal interaction, so that my own personal opinions will not be misused as official FUNi Responses.
With that being said this is the post I prepared earlier in response to Loafy & Blitzen before having to leave for my meetings:

You pegged it. There's nothing new to report. They haven't come up with another FAQ. Although besides Red and Myself turning in reports on the forum chatter I know the other people in charge of DBZ are watching the sites as well.

I haven't said much since I don't personally have much of an opinion. I have only seen bits and pieces of the old DBZ. I recently got in my copy of the Season set but haven't sat down yet to watch. (Been catching up on the other shows like Rumbling Hearts, Black Cat, etc). I also have a widescreen tv so I only buy in that format anyway when I have a choice (again that's just a personal preference).

Someone had mentioned earlier a letter writing campaign. By far this would probably be the best way to go about things. Petitions online are difficult to verify. However an actually letter sent in would be something the DBZ Manager could show to the Executives. To date we have only received 1 actual letter. If you guys would like the address again see below:

FUNimation Entertainment
C/O DBZ Brand Manager
6851 NE Loop 820
Suite 400
Fort Worth, TX 76180

Actually both Red and myself give weekly updates on the message boards (over several of them) so we are very aware of the concerns over DBZ.
If I print out the actual post it does not have the same effect because many of the posts are from the same people rehashing the same points. The reason I suggested an actual letter is they show each individual person that took the time and effort to send it. We have only received one actual letter to date (I verified with the DBZ Brand Manager before adding this post).

At any rate we are aware of many of your concerns and as always we look forward to your questions and feedback.

~FUNiRepBlue Out!~

Go Colts. /Insert Shameless Plug here

I NEED FRIENDS!
Wanna keep up with the latest and greatest from the FUNimation office?

Become our friend on MySpace at:

FUNiRepHQ on MySpace

Thoughts!? :roll:

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:47 pm

email2003 wrote: Thoughts!? :roll:
You mean besides the fact that Corey, a.k.a. MajinVegetaXV, has already been all over the idea and even started a letter-writing campaign of which a dozen or so of us, myself included, have already contributed to?

Then no, no thoughts, really.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

email2003
Beyond Newbie

Post by email2003 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:59 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
email2003 wrote: Thoughts!? :roll:
You mean besides the fact that Corey, a.k.a. MajinVegetaXV, has already been all over the idea and even started a letter-writing campaign of which a dozen or so of us, myself included, have already contributed to?

Then no, no thoughts, really.
I might join this so called "Letter writing" campaign too! If that's how we'll get FUNi's attention then hell yeah! Count me in.

raz1337

Post by raz1337 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:12 am

DaemonCorps wrote:
raz1337 wrote:That line was changed apparently, it's just something I noticed when watching this episode since it's in a flashback in the 10 days before the Cell Games.
Well the reason some lines are gonna be changed throughout the series is so they'll be consistent with things like flashbacks, which DBZ has a lot of. The way the dub is now, I'm pretty sure the Gohan headbutting Raditz scene has at least three different dubs under FUNi.

(looks at the comments about the set on discount animedvd.com and twitches) It's like in those monster movies where everyone won't believe a handful of people about something that's actually true :(.
Yeah, but the ultimate uncut line is inconsistent with the flashback in No Worries Here, unless the flashback in that Cell Games ep will be changed in the Cell Games Box Set to reflect the changes in the Vegeta Saga set that was released this month. I just thought it was weird, it's very possible that line will be changed in the flashback.

But, yeah, my comparisons were between the uncut, cut(original) and flashback(cut) versions of the line.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:28 am

email2003 wrote:
SatoSky wrote:Cancelled my preorder. I'll just continue to buy the Spanish DVD's.
Where do you buy them at man? I want to know since I'm hispanic too!
I'm not talking about the Mexican dub. The only Spanish DVD's you can buy with the Latin dub, as of now, are the Ultimate Uncut Editions by FUNimation. I think those have been discontinued though. So because of that, and because this whole "remastered" business is just complete bull, I've decided to buy Spain's "remastered" DVD's.

They include the Castilian Spanish dub, among other Spanish dubs, and the orginal Japanese dub, subtitled of course. The image quality is better than anything FUNimation has ever had. Probably better than anything they will have anytime soon as well. They have released up until episode 56, with two more volumes scheduled for release in February. Each volume contains 8 episodes on two DVD's, that's 4 episodes on each DVD. Which is better than 6-7 episodes on one DVD. I feel like their little promotion tool.

Over all, good quality, really nice dub and translation. Only problem, shipping to the U.S. can get quite pricey. Just scroll down and look for the U.S. in ZONA E.

Snail

Post by Snail » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:36 am

Just a thought, I know all of the fine members here at Daizex forums are concerned with the problems with the remastered sets, but are other popular or non popular forum sites discussing the problems as well? Are other forum sites treating this matter as serious as everyone here is?

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:54 am

For anyone who cares, Best Buy's price for the Season One set has gone down to $29.99.

If I can get it at Best Buy 2/6 for $30, I'll try the set out.

- Bilis
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:08 am

Kendamu wrote:Dragonball Z Rebirth featurette:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1-BMttyabk
I nearly vomitted. And I stopped 42 seconds in.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:30 am

Acid_Reign wrote:The whole "cinematic experience" thing is especially BS after you read this.

In summation, the Academy Aperture (official name for the aspect ratio commonly known as 4:3) used to be considered the standard for films. Back when the first TV sets were coming out, Hollywood started adopting widescreen to ensure that they couldn't be viewed properly on television.

And of course now that we actually have widescreen televisions, it's considered "better," because of arbitrary standards. Don't get me wrong; I love WS (gives me more artistic space as a film-maker), but it's definitely worth considering its history, especially in light of all this.
Even though that link has some interesting history bits, I don't buy wide screen as a gimmick or anything (well, it is in the DBZ releases of course). by the same logic, Surround Sound is a gimmick because sound used to be in Mono...

The experience of watching anything should be geared toward the human senses. Human eyes are wider than they are taller, so it makes sense to display the images in that aspect ratio (versus having it taller than wider). Human ears can differentiate sounds in several directions, which is why surround sound makes sense. Other bits in media technology follow the same path, videos are not encoded in RGB color space, they are typically encoded in some variant of YUV color space because of the human eyes ability to perceive color versus brightness.

That said, all of this is only superseded when the original format is something else. I.E. DragonBall was done in 4:3 for whatever reasons, it doesn't really matter, it was the technology at the time. But I don't see any reason to change that.

And on a side note, they brainwashed that guy doing the remastering by handing him an extra paycheck. You'd lie for FUNI too if the check was large enough.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:09 pm

It doesn't matter about the cropping, all they are doing is trying to make it look more modern and more appealing in widescreen,
The series is 20+ years old, how can it "look more modern"? The only way that could happen would be to make a brand new series altogether. And really, the whole "gotta make it widescreen to fit widescreen tvs" makes as much sense as pan-and-scanning widescreen films to fit 4:3 tvs. It's the exact same arguement, really, just with the black bars on different areas of the screens.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:19 pm

So this officially comes out next tuesday right? I'll probably end up buying it.

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:03 pm

ect5150 wrote:Even though that link has some interesting history bits, I don't buy wide screen as a gimmick or anything (well, it is in the DBZ releases of course). by the same logic, Surround Sound is a gimmick because sound used to be in Mono...
People seem to be misinterpreting what I'm saying here. I love widescreen, okay? 1.78:1 is my aspect ratio of choice when making movies. I just posted the link as a reference, not as an endorsement. The only thing I was criticizing was the average person's misappropriating of widescreen to cinema. Just because most movies are done a certain way now, doesn't mean older things lose the feel of being "a movie." It's as if you'd watch Gojira (the original "Godzilla" from 1954) and state that the experience was somehow less-cinematic because it wasn't done in widescreen.

But in the same vein, if you assume everything in that article is true, then even if widescreen is no longer a gimmick today, the point is that it started out as one. The logic you're describing implies that the determining factor is in its popularity, which simply isn't the case here. Surround Sound wasn't invented by Hollywood to counter home theater; it was conceptualized by engineers and first put into work by Walt Disney's Fantasia in 1941.
The experience of watching anything should be geared toward the human senses. Human eyes are wider than they are taller, so it makes sense to display the images in that aspect ratio (versus having it taller than wider). Human ears can differentiate sounds in several directions, which is why surround sound makes sense. Other bits in media technology follow the same path, videos are not encoded in RGB color space, they are typically encoded in some variant of YUV color space because of the human eyes ability to perceive color versus brightness.
Maybe that's your take on things, but it isn't everybody's. There's nothing inherently wrong in a taller-than-wider video presentation; it just isn't common. Just because the human ears are multi-directional doesn't mean one can't have an enjoyable experience listening to Stereo sound. Or Mono for that matter, seeing as how some Stereo is faked by replicating a Mono source on two channels. Same with Surround. How good the audio sounds depends on who's mastering it, and what the artist's intended effect is.

As for RGB vs. YUV, yes YUV more closely resembles human perception, but RGB actually has more data. That isn't to say that it's necessarily "better"—each color space has their own use (RGB for computer graphics; YUV for TV). But basically what I'm trying to illustrate is: when it comes right down to it, in the end it's the individual's preference that counts.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:26 pm

Acid_Reign wrote:People seem to be misinterpreting what I'm saying here. I love widescreen, okay?
The other post you made did appear to be a bit anti-wide screen, at least the way I read it. Sorry if it looked like I was jumping down your throat.
Acid_Reign wrote:But basically what I'm trying to illustrate is: when it comes right down to it, in the end it's the individual's preference that counts.
This is always 100% correct, but you will have an easier time watching wide screen than a wide screen turned on its side.
Acid_Reign wrote:As for RGB vs. YUV, yes YUV more closely resembles human perception, but RGB actually has more data.
RGB has no more or less data compared to YUV or any other color space. (unless by more you mean redundant). Color spaces are just defined a linear combination of 3 primary 'colors' as it were. And I'm not getting into bit-depths either (i.e. RGB32 vs RGB24, obviously once has more data compared to another)
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

nwoo_2002
Beyond Newbie

Post by nwoo_2002 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:36 pm

SatoSky wrote:
email2003 wrote:
SatoSky wrote:Cancelled my preorder. I'll just continue to buy the Spanish DVD's.
Where do you buy them at man? I want to know since I'm hispanic too!
I'm not talking about the Mexican dub. The only Spanish DVD's you can buy with the Latin dub, as of now, are the Ultimate Uncut Editions by FUNimation. I think those have been discontinued though. So because of that, and because this whole "remastered" business is just complete bull, I've decided to buy Spain's "remastered" DVD's.

They include the Castilian Spanish dub, among other Spanish dubs, and the orginal Japanese dub, subtitled of course. The image quality is better than anything FUNimation has ever had. Probably better than anything they will have anytime soon as well. They have released up until episode 56, with two more volumes scheduled for release in February. Each volume contains 8 episodes on two DVD's, that's 4 episodes on each DVD. Which is better than 6-7 episodes on one DVD. I feel like their little promotion tool.

Over all, good quality, really nice dub and translation. Only problem, shipping to the U.S. can get quite pricey. Just scroll down and look for the U.S. in ZONA E.
Just incase anyone was wondering about the quality of these spanish remasters, Zonadvd has posted on their site, a little comparison with the Dragon Box footage. I don't know if anyone has already posted this but here it is again:

http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name ... &artid=627

Personally I think that the Spainsh version would look better in widescreen :P

Saiyan Combat
Banned

Post by Saiyan Combat » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:42 pm

i think the spanish masters are a better job done that funimations versions of saturation, sharpness etc.