The Influence of Future Boy Conan on Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

The Influence of Future Boy Conan on Dragon Ball

Post by kei17 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:32 am

Recently, I've been re-watching Future Boy Conan, a classic anime series directed by Hayao Miyazaki, and I noticed that it has some obvious similarities to Dragon Ball. I'm not trying to accuse Toriyama of plagiarism or anything like that. I'm just digging into what inspired him.

1) A wild boy with superhuman physical ability who lives with an old man in an isolated place

Conan is a wild boy who lives in an island named "Nokosare Jima" (remaining/left island). In the island, Conan and an old man are the only survivors after the worldwide disaster caused by mass-destruction weapons. He has nearly superhuman power and is even able to carry a dozen of mature people. Goku lives in a remote mountain with an old man. He is so strong that he can carry a car.

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

2) The boy calls the old man grandpa, but they're not actually related

Conan is an orphan whose parents were also the survivors who once lived in the island before. They both died for some reason and he was raised by the old man. Conan calls him Ojii (grandpa) like how Goku calls Gohan Jii-chan. As you know, Goku is a Saiyan who was sent to the Earth and not related to Gohan.

Image Image

3) He meets a girl for the first time while carrying a gigantic fish that he caught

Conan catches a shark in the sea, and on his way home, he finds a girl named Lana who drifted to the island. Goku catches a gigantic fish in a river and meets Bulma. This is the first time ever in their life to meet a female human for both of them, and the event becomes a springboard for a big adventure. It's also interesting that Bulma's name was Lena in the Harmony Gold dub though this must be completely coincidental.

Image Image
Image Image

4) Yajirobe and Jimsy share multiple characteristics

Jimsy is one of Conan's friends who also has very high physical ability. He is a little plump and a very big and adventurous eater who regularly eats rats and frogs. He lives alone by hunt, and nothing about his identity or family is told. Not only these characteristics are similar to Yajirobe's, their appearances are somewhat close to each other.

Image Image

5) Yajirobe/Jimsy fights with the protagonist because of stealing his meal in their first encounter

After leaving Nokosare Jima, Conan arrives at the island where Jimsy lives. He eats some fruits and drinks water from hunger, but he didn't know he's in Jimsy's territory. Jimsy gets angry at him stealing his meal. They fight and become friends. This almost completely corresponds to how Goku meets Yajirobe for the first time.

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

So, has Toriyama ever seen Future Boy Conan?

YES, HE HAS. After noticing these similarities, I searched for the relations between Toriyama and Future Boy Conan. I found his comment in Shonen Jump vol.3 in 1985:
Toriyama wrote:今頃になってかの名作『未来少年コナン』を見て大感激しちゃいました。ああいう作品をかきたい<明>
Recently, I finally watched that masterpiece Future Boy Conan, and it really impressed me. I want to make something like that. <Akira>
It's not clear whether it was his very first time to be exposed to the series or he'd already seen it partly before the serialization, so I'm not still 100% sure about the similarities in the first chapter, but Yajirobe must be based on Jimsy at least.
Last edited by kei17 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: The Influence of Future Boy Conan on Dragon Ball

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:36 am

This is an incredible find, Kei. I've heard of the series but I always figured Toriyama wasn't one to watch animation. He certainly seemed to have no interest in comics, after all.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:40 am

Seconded on that find, I'll need to add this to my "little archive" of stuff. I'll have to watch this show for sure, I have yet to see it!

Very good work, thanks for sharing!

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:41 am

This is incredible. Great research.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:42 am

Huh, that's pretty awesome. Future Boy Conan is one of the few Miyazaki productions that I've never actually seen, so this is all new to me.

I'll have to check it out and see what I think. Nice find!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:43 am

Thank you as always Kei.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:49 am

Good catch.I never knew this.I should check out this anime. :thumbup:

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:21 pm

Though this isn't Toriyama's creation, Legend of Shenlong has one more similarity to Conan: A couple of bad guys consist of a man and a red haired woman comes by plane and takes away something important from Conan/Goku.

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:08 pm

kei17 wrote:
Toriyama wrote:今頃になってから名作『未来少年コナン』を見て大感激しちゃいました。ああゆう作品をかきたい。
I got deeply moved by watching Future Boy Conan, a masterpiece, at this late date. I want to create a piece of work like that.
It's not clear whether it was his very first time to be exposed to the series or he'd already seen it partly before, so I'm not still 100% sure about the similarities in the early chapters, but Yajirobe must be based on Jimsy at least.
I crosschecked your translation of Toriyama's comment against Kanzenshuu's and found two very minor spelling differences (three if you count the last period). I don't think this amounts to anything, but Kanzenshuu's translation makes it sound like he had only just watched the series.

今頃になってから名作『未来少年コナン』を見て大感激しちゃいました。ああゆう作品をかきたい
今頃になってか名作『未来少年コナン』を見て大感激しちゃいました。ああう作品をかきたい
Toriyama (Kanzenshuu translation) wrote:Recently, I finally watched that masterpiece Future Boy Conan, and it really impressed me. I want to make something like that. <Akira>

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:11 pm

I'd like to take the chance to watch this sometime. What an interesting bit of information. This sort of thing is hard to discover / come by.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:21 pm

Duo wrote:I'd like to take the chance to watch this sometime. What an interesting bit of information. This sort of thing is hard to discover / come by.
Speaking of (and nice to have you back BTW!), I did a little Googling and I guess Future Boy Conan never got a domestic release in the US? At only 26 episodes and having its animation done by Hayao Miyazaki, I thought, "I'll snag this real quick!" But... lol no way. The Japanese Blu-ray is selling for over $200 on Amazon.

Is there nowhere I can legally purchase this series with English subtitles without paying an arm and a leg?

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:24 pm

Tyro wrote:
Duo wrote:I'd like to take the chance to watch this sometime. What an interesting bit of information. This sort of thing is hard to discover / come by.
Speaking of (and nice to have you back BTW!), I did a little Googling and I guess Future Boy Conan never got a domestic release in the US? At only 26 episodes and having its animation done by Hayao Miyazaki, I thought, "I'll snag this real quick!" But... lol no way. The Japanese Blu-ray is selling for over $200 on Amazon.

Is there nowhere I can legally purchase this series with English subtitles without paying an arm and a leg?
Always a pleasure, my good friend. I've been lurking all this time, but I struggle to find the motivation to post these days.

If you happen to find a decent way to get the show, let me know. Maybe we can marathon it if I swing through your state in the future.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:43 pm

From what I know, there have been no official releases of Future Boy Conan with English subtitles. It's available on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video in Japan, so maybe it's going to be available worldwide on VoD services someday.
Tyro wrote:今頃になってから名作『未来少年コナン』を見て大感激しちゃいました。ああゆう作品をかきたい
今頃になってか名作『未来少年コナン』を見て大感激しちゃいました。ああう作品をかきたい
Toriyama (Kanzenshuu translation) wrote:Recently, I finally watched that masterpiece Future Boy Conan, and it really impressed me. I want to make something like that. <Akira>
I quoted the comment from a random Japanese website, so I replaced it with Kanzenshuu's. Thanks!

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:04 pm

There's a bit of a mystery behind why Future Boy Conan hasn't been released in the U.S. Last year, Justin Sevakis looked at it in this Answerman column. Incidentally, I'm the one who sent in the question. :)
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:54 am

Wow I never knew this was directed by Hayao Miyazaki! This one of the most popular animes in the Middle East when I was growing up. Over there it was called "Adnan wa Lina". I always thought it was an obscure, unpopular anime since none of my American friends ever heard of it. I knew it was a dub title but they didn't know what anime I was referring to when I described it. It makes sense if it was never officially dubbed in English.

Anyway good find! Funny enough I had a cousin who used to argue that Goku (or Gogo, his Arabic dub name for some reason...) was related to Adnan/Conan because they were both really powerful and had a similar backstory. When it was revealed that Goku was a Saiyan, my cousin assumed that Conan was also a Saiyan. He thought they were set in the same fictional universe since, if I recall, they were dubbed by the same studio. This really brings back memories. I'm 25 now and that must've been at least 17 or 18 years ago.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:12 am

I always wanted check out this anime. After reading this anime, I need to track down the show itself. Thanks for making this thread.
kei17 wrote:From what I know, there have been no official releases of Future Boy Conan with English subtitles. It's available on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video in Japan, so maybe it's going to be available worldwide on VoD services someday.
Fingers crossed that someone like Discotek licenses it someday. Future Boy Conan is right up their alley.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:05 pm

The similarities are amazing, nice find.
Now I wonder who that queen is that Frieza is based on

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:35 pm

Wow. I never knew there were this many similarities. Nice work, kei17.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:13 pm

This is awesome. Thanks!

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:06 pm

Skar wrote:It makes sense if it was never officially dubbed in English.
According to Wikipedia (no source) Future Boy Conan was dubbed into English during its run in Asia. So while it wasn't released and dubbed in the West, it seems it did get an English release. Kinda similar to Super now, I guess.
Wikipedia wrote:Future Boy Conan first aired across Japan on the NHK TV network between April 4 and October 31, 1978, during the Tuesday, 7:30pm timeslot. It has been regularly broadcast across Japan on the anime satellite television network Animax, who have also later translated and dubbed the series into English for broadcast across its respective English-language networks in Southeast Asia and South Asia, under the title Conan, The Boy In Future.