Fact Checker (update: Ep.51)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Khin
I Live Here

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.29)

Post by Khin » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:08 am

Excellent work Emma. :thumbup:
EmmaWinters wrote:Minute: 4
Context Goku is unable to faze Botamo.
Champa: "He's just as pathetic as he looked when I saw him at Beerus' palace."
Cabba: "He and I are both Saiyans, but to think Universes 6 and 7 differ this much..."

Significance: Cabba is surprised at how poorly Goku's faring against Botamo, which implies that he could do better.

Minute: 22
Context The next episode preview, after Goku's defeat.

Goku: "What happened?! I ain't got no idea what kind of technique [Frost] used!"

Significance: What happened at the end of Goku and Frost's match is anyone's guess. Not even Goku knows, though he believes that Frost did something to him. My money's on a case of food poisoning.[/spoiler]
  • So this at least implies that Cabba is at least stronger than Base Goku.
  • I'm still holding on my theory that Frost can transfer all the damage that was dealt to him x10 more through holes in his arms.Though i also like the theory of Frost being a pun to Frostbite and his special ability is causing someone to freeze all his nerve

Speedster
Regular

Post by Speedster » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:25 am

EmmaWinters wrote: Episode 33
Minute: 22
Context The next episode preview, after Goku's defeat.

Goku: "What happened?! I ain't got no idea what kind of technique [Frost] used!"

Significance: What happened at the end of Goku and Frost's match is anyone's guess. Not even Goku knows, though he believes that Frost did something to him. My money's on a case of food poisoning.
I know you meant it as a joke but, as it can cause confusion to more casual fans who seek to check facts, better make use of a smiley or emoticon next time you are joking about something to highlight you are not being serious (and is not something that you actually believe based on anything legitimate, but instead you are being sarcastic on the random speculation that some fans create out of nothing). Great work nonetheless and thanks for keeping this imo important thread alive.
Last edited by Speedster on Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:17 am

SSJ3 Vegeta wrote:Excellent work Emma. :thumbup:
EmmaWinters wrote:Minute: 4
Context Goku is unable to faze Botamo.
Champa: "He's just as pathetic as he looked when I saw him at Beerus' palace."
Cabba: "He and I are both Saiyans, but to think Universes 6 and 7 differ this much..."
So this at least implies that Cabba is at least stronger than Base Goku.
*Warming-up base Goku, you mean.
I'm still holding on my theory that Frost can transfer all the damage that was dealt to him x10 more through holes in his arms. Though i also like the theory of Frost being a pun to Frostbite and his special ability is causing someone to freeze all his nerve
I like both those theories and if it's the former, then we would have a guy who can send the damage to another dimension(Botamo) and now a guy, who can transfer the damage to his enemy instead :thumbup: Isn't there a move in Pokemon, that does exactly that?
Speedster wrote:
EmmaWinters wrote:My money's on a case of food poisoning.
I know you meant it as a joke but as it can cause confusion to more casual fans who seek to check facts better make use of a smiley or emoticon next time you are joking about something to highlight you are not being serious and is not something that you actually believe based on anything legitimate, but instead you are being sarcastic on the random speculation that some fans create out of nothing.
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Dude, use some periods, haha :P

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.33)

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:51 pm

Jaco was given a fancy new spaceship in recognition of his role in taking care of Freeza. It looks pretty much the same as his old one. Since Jaco did barely anything in the RF arc, the fact that he was rewarded (presumably by the the Galactic Patrol) for his actions implies some Mr.Satan-style deceit. Incidentally, the design of the new space ship is different between the manga and anime.
Jaco did fight and defeat a lot of Freeza soldiers. No other Galactic Patrol officers showed up or even tried to do anything, I think he deserves his reward.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:01 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Jaco was given a fancy new spaceship in recognition of his role in taking care of Freeza. It looks pretty much the same as his old one. Since Jaco did barely anything in the RF arc, the fact that he was rewarded (presumably by the the Galactic Patrol) for his actions implies some Mr.Satan-style deceit. Incidentally, the design of the new space ship is different between the manga and anime.
Jaco did fight and defeat a lot of Freeza soldiers. No other Galactic Patrol officers showed up or even tried to do anything, I think he deserves his reward.
In the movie he did, but in the arc I only remember him defeating 1. :lol:

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:36 pm

What was said about Piccolo in the NEP?

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:17 am

Vice wrote:What was said about Piccolo in the NEP?
" Piccolos totally different when he takes his cloak off ! "

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:52 am

I want to know what does Frost exactly say before he kicks Goku outta the ring. Some subs go with "There's my chance" or "You got overconfident". Which is the real one?
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:06 am

Black_Liger wrote:I want to know what does Frost exactly say before he kicks Goku outta the ring. Some subs go with "There's my chance" or "You got overconfident". Which is the real one?
隙あり, basically "you're wide open".
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:10 am

EmmaWinters wrote:
Black_Liger wrote:I want to know what does Frost exactly say before he kicks Goku outta the ring. Some subs go with "There's my chance" or "You got overconfident". Which is the real one?
隙あり, basically "you're wide open".
Thank you, I think this deserves to be added to the main post.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:49 am

Updated.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.35)

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:14 pm

Excelent job! I like the new format. If you mind, is there anything in those episodes that hint at Piccolo being more powerful than before?

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:18 am

From what I've heard.It seems like there is a mistranslation by a fansub that says Monaka was knocked out by Goku's kamehameha or something like that.Making many people believe Monaka is a total weakling.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:35 pm

Hugo Boss wrote:If you mind, is there anything in those episodes that hint at Piccolo being more powerful than before?
Not that I can recall, though I wouldn't be surprised if he's kept up with his own brand of training.
SSJ3 Vegeta wrote:From what I've heard.It seems like there is a mistranslation by a fansub that says Monaka was knocked out by Goku's kamehameha or something like that.Making many people believe Monaka is a total weakling.
Well, that is the implication, as I pointed out. Monaka passed out after seeing Goku's Kamehameha, but he wasn't actually physically struck by it, if that's what was said.

Updated for 36 and 37.

EmmaWinters

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.37)

Post by EmmaWinters » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:23 pm

Updated.

Speedster
Regular

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.38)

Post by Speedster » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:13 pm

For first and last time I compiled the transcript of the episode 38 by looking at the so called most "reliable" funsubs. Here is the end result, I wonder what Emma's view is. Anyway for me it was interesting to see how they compare word for word and which translations go for a more naturalised approach and which with more literal one. I saw the flaws of the highly regarded "Team Dragon" as well as the limits of "Paffu". I wonder what Funimation's approach will be, though I can sort of predict. It will be interesting to check against when that time comes though. Also interestingly the entire dialogue script of a 19-minute episode is less than three A4 pages long.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:46 pm

Can you elaborate on what dragon team did wrong?.

Speedster
Regular

Post by Speedster » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:40 pm

Sodhi wrote:Can you elaborate on what dragon team did wrong?.
It is not that they mistranslate things. But they are quite inconsistent with the use of literal and liberal translations. If you just watch these subs you are left wondering when they opt for the one or the other approach as most of the time even their liberal translations still do not yield to naturalised speech anyway.

For example there is this line by Vegeta at min 8:30
Even from this distance he was able to attack without any sign of his move at all!
Team Dragon went to translate it like this:
He attacked me from this distance?! And without telegraphing his move at all?!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:25 pm

I suppose you have to understand that you can't really be "literal" when translating Japanese. You're always going to be approximating the meaning in English to come out naturally as possible. But yeah, I do get your point, and definitely agree.

Pafu aren't really worth giving any time to, since their translation is spotty at best. That said, Dragon Team's lines, while accurate, are very verbose to the point that it's distracting. So many lines could be condensed down that it sorta baffles me that they're not.

Compare Over8000's (RIP :() episode 14 with Dragon Team's:
Over8000 wrote:Their attacks have merged into a single high-energy mass?!
DragonTeam wrote:A high-energy mass formed from their two attacks merging?!
Over8000 wrote:And now, as my gift to you, I'll pour all of my heart and mind into this blow.
DragonTeam wrote:So now, I'll give you this one single blow filled with a thousand emotions.
Over8000 wrote:Well then, shall we head back to the castle and freshen up with a nice bath?
...I suppose that's not going to happen, is it?
DragonTeam wrote:So, shall we go home?
We can take a relaxing bath at the castle, and...
...and of course we can't just do that, can we?
The meaning is the same, but man, look how clunky their lines are. This type of awkward phrasing is found every week, and it really bugs me. Simmons is pretty awkward at times, but he's loosened up over the years. It'll be interesting to see how he tackles this show -- assuming he's still at Funimation; that's been up for debate, lately.

But yeah, Dragon Team are definitely verbose to a fault. They desperately need to cut out the fluff. I'm not asking for a dub script, just... yeah. I want to read an enjoyable English translation, not something that sounds like Herms' Strength Checker, you know?

As for your example, I actually don't really mind either choice there. "Telegraphing" makes enough sense to me coming out of Vegeta's mouth. If it were Goku, then I could definitely see the issue.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:45 pm

Speedster wrote:I wonder what Emma's view is. Anyway for me it was interesting to see how they compare word for word and which translations go for a more naturalised approach and which with more literal one. I saw the flaws of the highly regarded "Team Dragon" as well as the limits of "Paffu".
It depends on the episode. DragonTeam can generally be relied on to get things correct, while Pafu's translator tends to be hit or miss. He's the same guy behind AnimeCruzers and (pre-U6) KamiFS, who we've corrected in this thread before.

Updated.