Questions for the Webmasters

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Questions for the Webmasters

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:46 pm

EX and Julian, have you all ever posted on the site about these questions?

1) How did you two meet?
2) How were you introduced to DB/Z/GT?
3) What was the first non-DB anime you saw?
4) Have you ever written/drawn a fan fiction/manga?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:06 am

Question 01)
I knew Julian from alt.fan.dragonball and various other things he had done on the web (the Viz petition was the big thing). I approached Julian in 2001 about working on the site. He didn't get a chance to do jack-shit on Namek, and I was alone, once again, and in need of some serious, actual, dedicated help. Him and I worked on stuff for a full year before actually getting the site online, again.

Julian will actually be the first co-"webmaster" of Daizenshuu EX that I'll actually be meeting! Technically, Kurp and I went to the same Get Up Kids show in Philly one night years ago, but we didn't run into each other. It's very strange... it's nothing like the AMV community, where I hang out with those people all the time (not even necessarily at conventions, either).

Question 02)
EGM. I have no idea what year it was, but it's a preview of Super Butoden 3. Thought it was awesome looking, but didn't have a clue what the fuck it was, or why there was a giant pink blob sticking out his tongue at the bottom of the page. In 1996, my then-best-friend Ryan Montroy was getting into anime (he was an American comics fan, prior), and managed to catch the first episode of DBZ in its original syndicated run. He ordered me to watch it the next week. I did, remembering what I'd read about the game and series in EGM (and some other articles since that magazine). Hooked ever since.

So technically, I knew a little bit about the show before I watched it. Sorta.

Question 03)
I have no idea. As a kid? Voltron, I guess. After realizing what anime was? Not sure, either. One of the following: Sailor Moon, Guyver, or Bubblegum Crisis.

Question 04)
Never drawn a manga. Can't draw a stick-figure. I once attempted to write a DragonBall / Street Fighter cross-over fanfic when I first got into the show. Something about Cell and Akuma fusing. Abandoned it after 2 pages, I believe. Let's never speak of that, again.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:01 am

VegettoEX wrote:Question 04)
Never drawn a manga. Can't draw a stick-figure. I once attempted to write a DragonBall / Street Fighter cross-over fanfic when I first got into the show. Something about Cell and Akuma fusing. Abandoned it after 2 pages, I believe. Let's never speak of that, again.
:shock: :shock: :lol: :shock: :shock:

*Pats EX on the Back* We all get the bad ideas now and then. You should really give Fanfic writing another shot. You might get a workable idea this time around.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:40 am

Dont worry EX, I can safely say that my mary sue hellsing kingdom hearts jenna jameson homoerotic fanfiction would beat that do-

OK DONT OSPEAK OF THAT AGAIN I DONT WANT TO RUIN MY INTERNET REPUTATION optimusprimexrojersmith

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:45 am

Cell+Akuma= Cekkuma?

Can you imagine how freaky a fusion between those two would look? Akuma's gi would be wrapped around Cell's armor, and his hair would be poking out of Cell's helmet-type thingie O.O

Also, why was there a preview of SB3? It wasnt ever released in the US, was it?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:50 am

Sun_Wukong wrote:Cell+Akuma= Cekkuma?
I think it was Akucel. Whatever. ;_;
Sun_Wukong wrote:Also, why was there a preview of SB3? It wasnt ever released in the US, was it?
EGM used to do import previews / reviews on a regular basis. I know, it was awesome...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:51 pm

Why'ed they stop doing that? It sounded like a frikkin awesome idea.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:12 pm

Well, Mike's already posted his replies, so I suppose it's my turn...

1) Well, we've never actually met... that occasion will be this June when I'm down in NJ for AnimeNEXT. However, I first became aware of Mike in my early days of DBZ fandom (1999-ish), when I had just finished watching the dubbed Season 3 on Cartoon Network. I had turned to the internet to satiate my curiosity about what came next, and stumbled upon the two most prominent fansites of the time: Planet Namek and Daizenshuu EX. Namek, error-riddled as I later found it to be, was an excellent info resource, while EX was hip to all the latest goings-on in American DB news (since there wasn't much of anything going on in Japan).

Anyways, my petition to Viz for the de-censorship of the DB and DBZ manga (which achieved its goals for DB, anyway) caught the attention of James Guillochon (Mr.E of Namek). After much pestering, James allowed me to oversee the "Community News" section (which allowed me to update the main page on a weekly basis, but little else)... but I quickly found that James was difficult to work with, complaining that the fandom was doomed, he no longer wanted to be "associated with" a DBZ website, etc. About that same time, I struck up a casual correspondence with (then-EX staffer) Jon Allen, through whom I also came into contact with Mike. The "Daizenshuu JON" incident brought Jon over to Namek, where I sensed a growing hostility between the two sites; not that it mattered, of course, because within a few months, Namek disintegrated, and EX was knocked off by his web provider, and didn't come back.

I had vowed to stay away from the DBZ web community for a while afterward, to ease the sting of my "loss," but found myself posting more and more on alt.fan.dragonball, where Mike also posted. He was apparently impressed enough with my knowledge and enthusiasm that within the year, he asked me to join the then-defunct Daizenshuu EX, once it was back up. Half-expecting him to never actually do anything with it, I signed on, continuing my song-translation work in the meantime, and keeping tabs on the Viz adaptation of the manga. To my surprise, however, the site actually did finally go back up in January '03, and I officially became a member of the staff... and that brings us till now. 8)

2) I first saw DBZ back in about 1996 or so, but being unused to what it was, and not properly introduced to the storyline, I dismissed it and changed the channel. Then, in 1998, I was in the midst of a rough year: my mother was seriously ill, I felt isolated by my peers, and the Junior Honor Society's trip to go whale-watching was (in my eyes, anyway) a bust. It was in this mood that a friend I was staying with introduced me to the show, labeling it (in his words) the "best show ever." I didn't follow the story at first, but the character designs were interesting, and the hyper-violence gave me an outlet for my anger at an unjust world. As time went on, my problems went away: I adjusted to high school, my mother recovered, and I went on more interesting trips. However, DBZ still held a special place in my heart. I watched the entire syndicated run of DBZ on WPIX (that's the WB network out of New York City, which used to reach pretty much the entire state), and soon afterward saw dub "season 3" on Cartoon Network. In doing so, I became involved with the series's plotline, and wanted to know "what happened next." From then on, I was a fan. :)

3) I can't really remember. It's possible that I saw some when I was really young (I have vague memories of a show about... Koalas, perhaps?), but the first anime I actually know I saw was Sailor Moon. Although the pastels and girliness were a bit of an annoyance, the plot was interesting, as was the love story (what I can I say? I'm a hopeless romantic). I lost interest after the "Negaverse" (Dark Kingdom) arc, however, and soon afterward moved to DBZ, and then other series.

4) Nope. I once tried to make a "superhero" story in the same vein as (and somewhat inspired by) Gohan's misadventures as Great Saiyaman, but I quickly abandoned it. So... yeah. :oops:
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:22 pm

Aww... how touching.

You must have wrote that bit about never meeting on the site before, because I thought I heard that. I threw those "I might have just daydreamed it" thoughts out of my head, because of the unlikeliness of it all. Cool.

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:38 pm

Pulling hair on girls is fun and completely not illegal. Thats my story :)

Ryu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ryu » Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:39 am

That maybe true but remember hell has no fury like a women scorned.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:11 am

Pah. They will be too busy trying to make their hair look nice again to do anything. Bwahahahahaha.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:32 am

4 hours later though, when they finish their hair?

You'll be as dead as that squirrel over there. *points to roadkill*

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:17 pm

I will distract them by throwing a VCR at them and getting them to set the clock.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:20 pm

Yeah, that would give you a few more hours to escape, but they might just start bitching at you to do it... :)