I'm sorry, but Zeno just seems unoriginal and stupid

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ringworm128
Banned

Re: I'm sorry, but Zeno just seems unoriginal and stupid

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:58 am

I'l probably have to wait on those since I've gotta get engineering books first, but I'l definitely pick up MM when I can, I f..king love guide books. Anyway, for fun I might try and think about how I would have written Zeno.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:39 pm

How the hell can he be a loli? He's a guy. Shota if anything.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:43 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:How the hell can he be a loli? He's a guy. Shota if anything.
I was referring more to his voice. As I said I'm not an expert on anime lingo, so I'm not sure how to describe his voice. All I know is that he sounds like the token "loli" character used in every modern anime, hence why I used the term "loli".

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:46 am

Gangsta Zeno from Mangastream should be canon.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:51 am

ringworm128 wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:
ringworm128 wrote:"no, we've already had this with Fat Buu 20 years ago"
And we've already had strong characters that look strong.
Good point, but my main annoyance comes from the fact this trope has been done to death in more than just DB.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... ssAdorable
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CuteBruiser
Honestly I think it might just be his voice, as silly as that sounds. I've got no problem with that particular voice type, but it just seems like the most typical and generic "moe" voice anyone could think of, which makes Super seem more generic IMO. And it just pushes the whole "Wow this guy is the strongest character there is but he's sooooo small, isn't that funny and ironic?" to cringe worthy levels.
There's only two options, either a strong character looks strong or they don't, and both have been done countless times before. In Dragon Ball, though, there's been more strong looking characters, the only ones that have looked weak until recently are the Androids and fat Buu (and I suppose kid Goten and Trunks)

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:02 am

ringworm128 wrote:I should probably open this thread by saying I actually haven't watched or read Super outside of a couple of clips so I probably shouldn't be criticising a show I haven't even watched yet....
That we clever statement, because Xeno is awesome, so go watch it and rant later :thumbup:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

FTW395
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FTW395 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:18 am

I agree, Zeno should've looked a bit more menacing and powerful than he does now.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:56 am

VegettoEX wrote: (which is generally complicated feelings toward a younger character that you/the character simultaneously want to protect yet get closer to in romantic ways).
I thought that was what Loli's were...
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:07 am

Zen-Ou is one of my favorite new characters, exactly because of the reasons you list.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:54 am

Kanassa wrote:
VegettoEX wrote: (which is generally complicated feelings toward a younger character that you/the character simultaneously want to protect yet get closer to in romantic ways).
I thought that was what Loli's were...
Lolitas look like pre-teens but are not necessarily so. Mike is simply describing 'moe'.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:55 pm

The straightforward option; a character who appears strong and actually is strong, has been done just as many times as "weak-looking guy that turns out to be strong."

This just seems like whining that a "strong" character doesn't look like Broly or Hatchyack or Super 13.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:00 pm

Omniking is cool. His ability to blow everything up is his defining character ^^

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:46 am

ringworm128 wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:How the hell can he be a loli? He's a guy. Shota if anything.
I was referring more to his voice. As I said I'm not an expert on anime lingo, so I'm not sure how to describe his voice. All I know is that he sounds like the token "loli" character used in every modern anime, hence why I used the term "loli".
Let me see if this can explain it more clearly then:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shuby » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:14 pm

I am pretty sure the new all universe fighters , most of them will look generic and a few of them will look bad-ass i am sorry but think Toriyama does not have it in him as he used to be to draw "eye appealing characters" anymore.