"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Re: Funimation Buu release guess?

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:26 am

I can't see Funi announcing anything Dragon Ball related, Kai or Super. I've given up waiting now, Funi's last few panels have been awfully boring and repetitive.
Their "Super" panel was a waste of time, as they never had the license lol. When they do eventually announce Kai, it will be a lukewarm reception, as the majority will probably be disappointed it isn't Super.

It's a situation completely of their own making, because they've left Kai way too long.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:38 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:It's a situation completely of their own making, because they've left Kai way too long.
I think this is Toei's doing.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:56 pm

sintzu wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:It's a situation completely of their own making, because they've left Kai way too long.
Funi most likely for me. They only wrapped up dubbing early this year, and that has to be down to poor scheduling, and perhaps the fact Sean & Kyle don't live in Texas any more, which is unavoidable.
But even so, more than 2 years to record a 69 episode series?, disappointing. They are obviously over worked with all these broadcast dubs, and are struggling with the back log they're creating.

I fear for the Super dub, I have no idea how that is going to go.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:57 pm

thaman91 wrote:Does anyone else feel like tomorrow might finally be the day we hear something official??? I know we tend to get our hopes up every time one of these conventions rolls around but....I dunno, I have a good feeling about this one.
Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Apparently it was a waste of 2 hours and they only announced one new show I think. But they did show the Resurrection F trailer again for some reason.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:11 pm

At this rate, I'm startin' to think we may not see the Universe 6 arc dubbed until 2018 or even 2019. I know it sounds insane but I'm startin' to have my doubts :(

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:14 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Apparently it was a waste of 2 hours and they only announced one new show I think. But they did show the Resurrection F trailer again for some reason.
*Siiiiigh*
I guess I should be used to this by now. But my optimism for each convention grows the longer we wait. I always think something like "The chances are higher that they'll announce it at this convention since it's so overdue". It's like an upwards trending graph where as more time passes, the probability of an announcement gets higher and higher. Disappointing that the announcement wasn't today though. It really did seem like we'd at least get a Super announcement what with all the hints (Geekdom's cryptic reassurances, Sean Schemmel's slip-up, Funimation showing Super characters on social media, Chris Sabat's twitter having a Super status), and I just assumed that a Kai announcement would come with it. Oh well. The wait continues.

SuperSaiyanBatman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanBatman » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:23 pm

thaman91 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Apparently it was a waste of 2 hours and they only announced one new show I think. But they did show the Resurrection F trailer again for some reason.
*Siiiiigh*
I guess I should be used to this by now. But my optimism for each convention grows the longer we wait. I always think something like "The chances are higher that they'll announce it at this convention since it's so overdue". It's like an upwards trending graph where as more time passes, the probability of an announcement gets higher and higher. Disappointing that the announcement wasn't today though. It really did seem like we'd at least get a Super announcement what with all the hints (Geekdom's cryptic reassurances, Sean Schemmel's slip-up, Funimation showing Super characters on social media, Chris Sabat's twitter having a Super status), and I just assumed that a Kai announcement would come with it. Oh well. The wait continues.
Not to get your hopes up, maybe Toei is just being really annoying, I mean, Sabat's current status seems annoyed regarding DBS status, in the way that he wants it signed too.

Considering how Viz came out of nowhere with the manga, I can also only imagine that its some holdup with the anime which is why Funi's still behind. Best hope for something around SDCC at this point? It's not that far away, and if they're in the final stages at this point, it could be okay by then.

That's all baseless speculation I guess, but I wanna hope.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:36 pm

I don't know what to say anymore. I'm sick and tired of waiting. They've not only failed demand, but have actually killed it to a degree. The majority no longer care for this Kai dub (I do) and I don't blame them. Super is current and ongoing, that's where the demand is, Funi need to just get on with it.

If Toei are to blame, then I don't see why they are being awkward with North America, when they don't appear to be with practically every other dub going: France, Portugal, Taiwan, Asia, and South Korea (I believe) Funi and their broadcast dubs are most likely the reason for the delay.
Too much work, and not enough time to dub multiple episodes of one anime, the VA's are needed for lots of ongoing TV dubs.

Obviously, Toei are still in the prehistoric age, so it may very well be them, I'm not saying that it isn't, but I just don't understand why it would be, when other territories are announcing it left, right and centre.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:07 pm

Maybe Toonami want to make the announcement themselves ? or maybe both are waiting for comic con cause it's in 3 weeks.

If they don't air Buu right after Cell then we're going to be waiting forever to get to Champa and Black and if that wasn't bad enough we'll have to sit through 27 episodes worth of movie adaptions which at that point will be 3-5 year old movies.

Viz hasn't released HXH yet so it looks like they also have to wait for Toonami but like Kai there won't be any more long waits once they start cause they'll be consistently released every 3-4 months.

I'm so happy we don't have to wait for Toonami to get Naruto and One Piece episodes cause we'd never get done if we had to, the waiting is somewhat tolerable with finished or short shows but something that has hundreds of episodes and is still on going is a nightmare.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:37 pm

sintzu wrote:
I think it is FUNi also. Mainly because the actors have freely talked about Buu Kai for months now wheras the one time Sabat talked about Resurrection F the article ended up being censored. So that tells me FUNi have licensed it and are allowed to talk about Buu Kai but haven't formally announced it yet.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:42 am

sintzu wrote:I'm so happy we don't have to wait for Toonami to get Naruto and One Piece episodes cause we'd never get done if we had to, the waiting is somewhat tolerable with finished or short shows but something that has hundreds of episodes and is still on going is a nightmare.
Absolutely. I buy One Piece by Funi's Collection sets. I picked up the 1st 3 amazon exclusive treasure chests, and am waiting for the 4th to be announced.
If I had to wait for Toonami to catch up, I'd be waiting forever.

Shows such as One Punch Man, that are only 10 episodes, are no bother to wait for, but Kai which is 69? that's a completely different story.
The ideal scenario would be for them to show it weekdays on Nicktoons, but I don't know how viable that is. Thing is, unless they can get Toei to allow them to pass on the TV deal for now, and go straight to home video, perhaps they can air it at a later point in time.

Super, at this moment in time is in complete limbo. They need to air them both concurrently if at all possible. The thought of us having to wait a year and a half for Buu Kai to air just seriously disappoints me.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:07 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:Shows such as One Punch Man, that are only 10 episodes, are no bother to wait for, but Kai which is 69? that's a completely different story.
Kai will be over and released before we know it.

The real pain will be Super, we'll have to wait 69 weeks for it just to start then another 27 for it to get to new content. that's nearly 2 years of waiting and that's assuming they start Buu right after Cell and Super right after Buu cause for all we know, they could end up replacing Kai for awhile before going into Buu and again before going into Super.

SuperSaiyanBatman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanBatman » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:49 am

Again I might just be stupidly optimistic, but I guess the best deal for Funimation and the audience regarding Boo Kai Arc on TV is burst marathons at a time to get it over with faster since well, for better or worse, people want the all new show as everyone I think can agree on. :lol:

It is getting quite frustrating being so darn behind, though...

At least though it'll give the Kai forums stuff to talk about again though. :)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:57 am

SuperSaiyanBatman wrote:I guess the best deal for Funimation and the audience regarding Boo Kai Arc on TV is burst marathons at a time to get it over with faster.
That would be good for us but not them cause they want to have as much material as possible when they start so that Toei won't stop them midway through due to them wanting the material to be released in Japan first or exclusively aired there for awhile.

SuperSaiyanBatman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanBatman » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:03 am

sintzu wrote:
SuperSaiyanBatman wrote:I guess the best deal for Funimation and the audience regarding Boo Kai Arc on TV is burst marathons at a time to get it over with faster.
That would be good for us but not them cause they want to have as much material as possible when they start so that Toei won't stop them midway through due to them wanting the material to be released in Japan first or exclusively aired there for awhile.
Well, it'll still take a while to get through 69 episodes, plus Super just hit 50, if Super dub is weekly, it's not going to catch up to Japan any time soon so I don't think it would be as big of a problem. :oops:

Just whatever makes the gap not as huge I think would be reasonable. The whole situation is still really odd...

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:08 am

SuperSaiyanBatman wrote:It's not going to catch up to Japan any time soon so I don't think it would be as big of a problem. :oops:
Not to you or me but Toei have a strange way of running their business so anything is possible with them regardless of it making sense or not.

SuperSaiyanBatman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanBatman » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:13 am

sintzu wrote:
SuperSaiyanBatman wrote:It's not going to catch up to Japan any time soon so I don't think it would be as big of a problem. :oops:
Not to you or me but Toei have a strange way of running their business so anything is possible with them regardless of it making sense or not.
That is true, this is coming from someone with a huge chunk of their interests owned by Toei. I know that well, yeah.

I guess we have to just wait to know what's going on. I just hope it all gets straightened out.

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:13 am

I wanted to join in the frustration. I check this forum every day hoping. Probably three years now of hoping/wishing something would be announced. I have repurchased and resold the buu episodes on the orange season sets, new Blu-ray season sets, and even the uber expensive dragon box dvd's, and nothing to me is up to the quality of the kai dub and Blu-ray 4:3.

And now rewatching kai from start to finish feels incomplete without watching the buu saga. I'm on ebay looking how i'd like to watch the buu saga this time. And really there is no good answer. The 16:9 orange/Blu-ray seasons are painful for me because the show was always 4:3 and the cropped 16:9 drives me nuts. So that means fishing down a few dragon box dvd's which are not cheap.

I'm not as impatient regarding Super because Buu Kai is still my focus, but if they announced that it would probably give me some temporary relief. I just don't get it. Dragon ball is by far the most profitable property funimation has in it's pocket. Why not release it! Keep squeezing from the cash cow. Take my money! I mean it's going to be probably close to 10 years by the time all of Kai is released. How ridiculous...hell I've heard people discuss a dragonball kai prior to Z. That'd be cool too. Some Blu-ray 4:3 transfers maybe? Anything smart from FUNI seems wishful thinking. But that's all we can do now. Wish dream and hope. :(

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:36 am

LettuceJUMP wrote:Nothing to me is up to the quality of the kai dub and Blu-ray 4:3.
Buu might only be in 16:9.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:56 pm

I can kind of understand why they never announced anything Dragon Ball at Anime Expo.

They were getting behind My Hero Academia, and wanted that to be the focus this year.
So I do get it, and the fact they had the director of Bones studio there, they didn't want anything announced that would potentially overshadow and undermine the My Hero hype they were trying to build.

San Diego last year was all "F", it had its own panel, autograph signings et al. This year's Comic Con is only a few weeks away, typically, Funi don't announce their plans until very late, so it is possible they could announce a panel or something.

I just hope that Toonami aren't involved, if Buu Kai starts immediately after Cell wraps up, then that's good, but unless Funi can get a different station for Super to air, or start straight after Cell, and put Buu Kai direct to home video, then we wont see any Super for years.