The Harmony Gold Dub & Broadcast Audio Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nickolaus
Not-So-Newbie

Re: The Harmony Gold Dub & Broadcast Audio Discussion Thread

Post by Nickolaus » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:13 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Wait...what's this about an audio tape?

Also, can somebody who speaks both Spanish and English look at Zero y el Dragon Magico ep 2-4 that were uploaded on the internet and compare the sript with the English Funi/BLT dub from 1995? we know for a fact that DB Movie 1 uses mostly the same script between the Harmony Gold dub, 1995 Funi/bLT dub, and 2010 Funi in-house dub. It would be nice to know if the same goes for the Tv series, especially as it appears that Movie 3 doesn't share the same script between the HG dub and the Funi in-house dub.
I'll look into this. I cannot keep any promises.

gogeta97
Beyond Newbie

Post by gogeta97 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:40 am

Any updates on this?
fadeddreams5 wrote:At this point, that time machine is symbolic to how fans feel about Super. We hope it gets better, but ultimately find ourselves going back in time to a better series.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:53 am

gogeta97 wrote:Any updates on this?
Not very much i'm afraid, the only thing worth keeping an eye on atm is the possibility that Harmony Gold got rid of the Dragon Ball audio reel Tomy Yune found a few years ago (I believe Derek asked Tommy to check and see if the reel was still around and according to him Tommy's looking if my understanding is right) I hope it wasn't thrown out because I'm really curious about what's on that reel.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:30 pm

Do any of the voice actors who work on the HG dub remember working on it? It would make some cool interview with those voice actors and how things went when they work on the dub.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:08 pm

Yes, some of the voice actors do remember working on the dub, but it was so long ago that they can't recall specific details.

I think it was back in 2012 that Tommy Yune told me he was headed to a dinner party reunion with a lot of the old cast of Robotech, and in turn, the Harmony Gold dub cast of Dragon Ball. Prior to their reunion I asked him to inquire about the recording process. Unfortunately, they could not recall specifics, however, they did say that it was a non-union job. As a result, they all had to use pseudonyms, which you can see in the credits. Tommy then gave me a partial list of their pseudonyms matched up with their real names.

Actually! That reminds me that back in 2011, maybe, when I went to Anime Expo, I met Barbara Goodson, the voice of Goku (Zero). She was signing autographs at a Power Rangers booth. I asked her what it was like to play the role of Goku, and she said something along the lines of how much she enjoyed it, because he was such a 'cutie pie.' :) Something to that effect. I'll publish the full quote in a book some day.

That's all I can recall off the top of my head. Fortunately, many of them are still alive, so it would be great to speak with them in person and do an interview, however brief.

-- For those who are curious about the tape in the vault, Tommy has not gotten back to me yet,
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

bman78

Post by bman78 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:19 pm

Any News on the subject as of late?

And I wonder if we should do some sort of kickstarter to raise money so that we can get that tape baked and uncovered from HG, if they still have it?

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:52 pm

Nothing new. I'm still waiting for Kei to come out of whatever cave he has entered into. :wtf:

He has all of the tapes and the audio, but he's no longer communicating and won't deliver it. I've tried writing to him several times through email and twitter, with no response. Another partner on this project paid $70 to mail him a physical letter from Texas to Japan. It was sent back for failed delivery, so he sent it a second time with a second expense. Someone then signed for it on the third delivery attempt, but we're not sure if it was Kei, as he has yet to reply to either of us.

I don't know what's going on in his personal life, and I hope he's not hurt or disabled. With that said, people in the community are telling me that he still sends out tweets on his private Twitter account, so I guess he's still alive. If you know Kei in real life, please reach out to him.

I haven't heard back from Harmony Gold yet, either.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:34 pm

What's funny is that there are NO ads for this dub of DB from back in 1989. I checked Broadcasting, and I checked Variety, the two most prominent trade magazines of the 1980's. There was NOT a single mention of an announcement that there would be a handful of episodes test-marketed in some areas for a potential full series.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:15 pm

DB1984 wrote:What's funny is that there are NO ads for this dub of DB from back in 1989. I checked Broadcasting, and I checked Variety, the two most prominent trade magazines of the 1980's. There was NOT a single mention of an announcement that there would be a handful of episodes test-marketed in some areas for a potential full series.
By all accounts, there was no way it could have succeeded. It's no wonder that copies seem non-existent. I've come across people who outright deny the existence of the dub (For the episodes, that is).
Retired.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:39 am

I can 100% guarantee you that at least the first episode exists.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:56 am

Puto wrote:I can 100% guarantee you that at least the first episode exists.
Ditto, this video Kei uploaded to Youtube last year pretty much guarantees that the first episode exists (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLeKwfqLn-M).
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:30 am

Honestly, I think kei is just burnt out from all of this which is why he isn't here at the moment. The poor guy has been harassed for years by people on this forum. I think he will be back but he just needs a long break from all of this.

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:55 am

he is bored it is a truth and he doesn't even need to say it, me and a lot of other send him pm some times and insist with this it is our mistake....broadcast audio which can only be found by him is a thing that make people greedy, it can be understood that it make him a target for request.

we were not there when kei was more active and talk about all this thing and found all information he gave here and there on kanzenshuu is almost impossible to imagine so if he want to talk he will did, if not then just thanks to him for all he share with us (even for those like me which discover all of that too late) , take good care of you, it is great what you did with all the research work, collect, time and money spending to keep alive these thing that Toei threw away thanks to make us dream to a perfect release which can be done one day and just let kei as long as he want and need .

i don't know you, i have make you have a "bad time" with what i say but i hope all of this can be forgiven one day and that you can have better time here :)

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:07 am

I respect that English might not be your first language but I had a hard time reading that.

I'll just say, I always considered Kei to be the MVP of this forum. He had tons of priceless information that no one else had. He was also very giving and uploaded a ton of rare content that we would have never seen from anyone else. Kei had one awesome youtube channel back in the day before he took it all down. Whatever he gave though, it was never enough from some people, and they kept asking for more and more and as you said, were very greedy. The whole Original Broadcast Audio thing went way, WAY, over the line and Kei has left for good, I don't blame him at all.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:20 pm

DerekPadula wrote:
Image - imgur. link
Image - imgur. link
Wonder if this same tape format was used to record the Kikuchi cues from 1986 to 1995?

bman78

Post by bman78 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:36 pm

@Derek that sucks.

I do agree that Kei was willing to try and get Toei and Funimation to use the OG broadcast audio from the recorded tapes. It is really inevitable when you're a person who has loads of rare stuff.

I've always wondered if he had any other tapes from the HG dub of Dragon Ball besides the First Episode?

Hopefully someone else has a DB tape from the Harmony Gold era.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:13 pm

bman78 wrote:@Derek that sucks.

I do agree that Kei was willing to try and get Toei and Funimation to use the OG broadcast audio from the recorded tapes. It is really inevitable when you're a person who has loads of rare stuff.

I've always wondered if he had any other tapes from the HG dub of Dragon Ball besides the First Episode?

Don't count on it. If there is another out there as rare as Kei, he's probably in some alternate reality.
Retired.

bman78

Post by bman78 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:20 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:

Don't count on it. If there is another out there as rare as Kei, he's probably in some alternate reality.
I wonder how Kei got the tape anyway? If he lives in Japan and the tape was recorded in the USA...

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:36 pm

bman78 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:

I wonder how Kei got the tape anyway? If he lives in Japan and the tape was recorded in the USA...
He's omniscient and omnipotent. He knew what it looked like, so he created an exact copy.
Retired.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:59 pm

bman78 wrote:I wonder how Kei got the tape anyway? If he lives in Japan and the tape was recorded in the USA...
Kei actually didn't find it himself, takarajima was the one who originally found it and sent kei a copy which is how he got it.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).