Were there any pre-Viz English manga releases?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Were there any pre-Viz English manga releases?

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:51 pm

I recall seeing DB comic books and thinking they were a failed attempt from long ago, but it turns out they were made by Viz in 00 or 01. Were there any attempts before Viz to release the manga?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Nickolaus
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Were there any pre-Viz English manga releases?

Post by Nickolaus » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:09 am

Not that I am aware officially. VIZ was the first one to officially release Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z in United States in 1998, according to this.

Viz Announces Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z Manga English Release
05 March 1998
Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z Shipping to comic stores March 6
The most popular japanese comic in the world is coming to the U.S…and it’s only from Viz!

San Francisco, CA (3/6/98)–Viz Comics proudly announces the March 1998 release of two simultaneous Dragon Ball comic titles: Dragon Ball, presenting the humorous adventures of young Son Goku; and Dragon Ball Z, which follows the considerably higher-stakes adventures of adult Goku who, together with family and friends, must fight to save the Earth from the most mighty villains in the universe. To the delight of Dragon Ball fans worldwide, Viz will be presenting both titles in English, available for the first time ever.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:25 am

Viz is the only English release, and it all began with the Special "Manga-Style" Edition from 1998 March till 2003 March, covering chapters 1~142 and 195~309.
Also, at some point they got a really great idea: Viz Graphic Novels! That only lasted a mere 1~120 and 105~313 from 2000 August till 2002 December, not even lasting as long as it's older sibling release.
Then of course they had their Shonen Jump release from 2003 January till...I forget, which started with chapter 195 and also never reached the end...
It wasn't till the Shonen Jump Graphic Novels in 2003 March that we finally got a normal (i.e. complete) release.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:23 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Viz is the only English release, and it all began with the Special "Manga-Style" Edition from 1998 March till 2003 March, covering chapters 1~142 and 195~309.
Also, at some point they got a really great idea: Viz Graphic Novels! That only lasted a mere 1~120 and 105~313 from 2000 August till 2002 December, not even lasting as long as it's older sibling release.
That's not surprising. LIke in Japan, and with American comics, they waited until after the comic was published originally for the gns to be published.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:38 am

Well, my point was just that the Viz Graphic Novels apparently weren't as great an idea as Viz had thought since they quickly shelved that idea for the Shonen Jump Graphic Novels, which are just a slightly smaller version of the Viz Graphic Novels.

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:55 am

It's less that the larger-sized "Graphic Novels" weren't a "good idea" and more the fact that Viz as a collective whole were moving all of their SJ properties to the smaller-sized "Shonen Jump"-branded collected volume sizes, and DB/DBZ just happened to be at the point they were at when it happened.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:36 am

I understand that, but... I guess I'm just confused as to why they changed formats at all. It's very strange becuz I liked my Dragon Ball and Inuyasha comics well enough, and it didn't seem like an upgrade. So now I have an inconsistent bookshelf with comics changing size mid-series.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:27 pm

Honestly, all of these decisions boil down to people who (are supposed to) make a lot of money sitting in a conference room and discussing how the company should proceed. Whether it be a money saver or a political reason (i.e. a deal with another company) or a vision redirection (they fired the old regime and a new one came in), the truth is that every decision happens for a reason. The comics didn't make themselves and the releases weren't subject to the print guys' mood on that day. So really, there was definitely a reason that made sense to them at the time and we'll probably never know it.