Dragon Ball Online on the way

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Black Mist
Beyond Newbie

Post by Black Mist » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:29 pm

MisterFlashdude wrote:Exactly how does one play this game...? If it's an mmorpg, what classes can you make out of the essentially identical characters of Dragonball...? :?
As much as I enjoy DBZ and video games... I can't see how this is going to work out in a good way.

I foresee DBZ Sagas Online... with lots of disappointed gamers.

And I wouldn't count on this coming to America. My friend and I were hopeful for a long time that the .Hack MMO or the Gundam MMO would come here... no luck.
I'm guessing races would be saiyan, Human Namekian, Android, animal person, Whatever Frieza is, A cell type android, Mythical being like Buu, and possibly sorcerer like babidi. That would probably be all the big races.
Black Mist: B team
I am also a respected podcast audio emailer.Listen to my adventures with my sidekick B in nintedo.theretrocast.com.Or just random stuff at www.onholdpodcast.com

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:42 pm

Black Mist wrote:I'm guessing races would be saiyan, Human Namekian, Android, animal person, Whatever Freeza is, A cell type android, Mythical being like Buu, and possibly sorcerer like babidi. That would probably be all the big races.
Not races. Classes. Regardless of race, all the characters can do the same things... really strong, energy blasts, ability to fly...

Take World of Warcraft (I use it as an example because it is the most widely played mmo...) or Star Wars Galaxies or LotR Online (Which I got to play in closed beta for)... There are several races but anyone will tell you in general it doesn't matter what race you play beyond aesthetics, it's the class that makes the difference.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:16 pm

On the contrary, I think "Races" may end up being the tool that will give us the differentiation that Classes in other MMO's provide. Because in a DB world, there's really not much room for specific classes. A healer aint gonna get too far in the Z world (ask Dende). My guess is they'll vary the stats between races, so basically they'll all be "fighters" but some fighters have racial abilities that makes the difference.

If races wont end up having huge differences, they'll still have their bonuses.

Namek's can heal themselves and manipulate their physiology, Saiyans get stronger after near death (ie. More experience when health gets very low), Humans... balance? And Androids don't have to worry about Ki.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:28 pm

tarrin4ever wrote:On the contrary, I think "Races" may end up being the tool that will give us the differentiation that Classes in other MMO's provide. Because in a DB world, there's really not much room for specific classes. A healer aint gonna get too far in the Z world (ask Dende). My guess is they'll vary the stats between races, so basically they'll all be "fighters" but some fighters have racial abilities that makes the difference.

Namek's can heal themselves and manipulate their physiology, Saiyans get stronger after near death (ie. More experience when health gets very low), Humans... balance? And Androids don't have to worry about Ki.
That's usually what races in mmo's have... but it still doesn't make a huge difference in the long run. Those passive differences alone aren't enough to make the characters feel different. In a world full of indentical super-powered, flying, ki-blasting fighters... a 5 or 10% boost to health regeneration or experience isn't going to persuade me that DBZ online is a good idea.

Now, if it were just a game like Sparking! with online versus... that's different. I'll definetly follow what this game is doing, though. If only because the idea seems so lame to me that I wonder if they have a good reason to be giving it a try that I haven't considered...

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:34 pm

:shock: HOLY....FREAKING....CRAP!! That game looks awesome! :o

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:20 am

I'm sure the game is going to look a great deal different when it's actually released (or hits the beta stage for that matter). I'm a little concerned that there's been no word on this in North America yet, we better not get passed over for this.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:09 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:I'm sure the game is going to look a great deal different when it's actually released (or hits the beta stage for that matter). I'm a little concerned that there's been no word on this in North America yet, we better not get passed over for this.
Save your money.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:38 am

That image summed up all MMORPG's quite nicely. :lol: But if it didn't put me off WoW, I doubt it will stop me from playing a Dragonball game.

I can't wait to see what the character creation process is like...can anyone say Super Chi-Chi?

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:37 am

I can so imagine fighting all of my buddies on this a-here forum. I'll probably lose, but have fun doing so. :lol:
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

gohanku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by gohanku » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:16 am

*spits coke after seeing title* DragonBall.. ONLINE? Oh my god, now I am sure that some of those companies are lurking around the forum, stealing our ideas, remember our little idea on a MMO, looks like dreams/nightmares do come through! I wonder what will happen next.
[quote="SSj Kaboom talking about Future Gohan in BT3"]I feel sorry for Future Gohan.

Everyone's like, "What?! What are you doing with [b][i]two[/i][/b] arms?! You tear that off right now, mister!"

Poor guy.[/quote]
Lol'ed.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:37 am

Gods, why did they have to make a Dragon Ball game based on my second least favorite genre? :cry:
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:08 pm

*Dances around happily at the prospect of the PC finally getting a DragonBall game*
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Magica
Regular

Post by Magica » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:51 pm

Rocketman wrote: Save your money.
*really hilarious sprite image*
Your post is made of win.

I can definately see this happening. Private or passworded servers/rooms to keep out the chatspeaking kiddies wold be nice. :D

I would so create whichever of my fanmade Saiyajins that I have, if there's such a feature.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:11 pm

I think that if/when this game makes it into English, we're gonna have to have us a DaizEX guild, or whatever such groups will be called in the game.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:20 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:I think that if/when this game makes it into English, we're gonna have to have us a DaizEX guild, or whatever such groups will be called in the game.
Oh it will, Atari never passes bringing over a DBZ game (though Legends is an exception ;_; ), I mean this is a company that re-released GT Final Bout in mid 2004. DBZ is their milking franchise and the only real title they have that's making them good money. The only reason they won't bring over D.O.N. is because of all the separate licensing issues both overseas and over here. So this online game will most likely make it over, probably for the standard October/November release when a major DBZ game is usually released.
14 years later

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:54 pm

MisterFlashdude wrote:
tarrin4ever wrote:On the contrary, I think "Races" may end up being the tool that will give us the differentiation that Classes in other MMO's provide. Because in a DB world, there's really not much room for specific classes. A healer aint gonna get too far in the Z world (ask Dende). My guess is they'll vary the stats between races, so basically they'll all be "fighters" but some fighters have racial abilities that makes the difference.

That's usually what races in mmo's have... but it still doesn't make a huge difference in the long run. Those passive differences alone aren't enough to make the characters feel different. In a world full of indentical super-powered, flying, ki-blasting fighters... a 5 or 10% boost to health regeneration or experience isn't going to persuade me that DBZ online is a good idea.

Now, if it were just a game like Sparking! with online versus... that's different. I'll definetly follow what this game is doing, though. If only because the idea seems so lame to me that I wonder if they have a good reason to be giving it a try that I haven't considered...
You've obviously not put much thought into this, then. There's hundreds of ways this could work, and work beyond exceptionally. And a lot of them are rather fairly obvious. :P
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:43 pm

Xyex wrote:You've obviously not put much thought into this, then. There's hundreds of ways this could work, and work beyond exceptionally. And a lot of them are rather fairly obvious. :P
Care to elaborate?

The more thought I put into it, the less it sounds like a good idea.
It would only fit into the story if the characters were, at best, Early-Dragonball era humans. We know that all the Saiya-jin's were wiped out, so it wouldn't be cool if tens of thousands of super saiya-jins suddenly started flying around on Earth...
I can't see being an Android, because how can you explain that? Dr.Gero's computer decided to make an assembly line of SUPER L33T androids? It can go two ways when you want to force types of characters in an MMO.
It can be like LotR where, when confronted with why they didn't put in a Wizard class, admitted 'Well, seriously, there were only like 5 wizards in the whole world... it wouldn't feel right.' and it was accepted. Or you can pull a Star Wars galaxies, make a Jedi class despite it being established that all the Jedi were wiped out and lose your fan base...

It wouldn't be like making a Naruto mmo, where there are thousands of shinobi... or a One Piece one, with thousands of Pirates... but a Dragonball world filled with tens of thousands of spirit-bomb wielding, super transforming, individuals-turned-into-mass-clones flying around Earth just doesn't fit in my opinion.

And if you're putting aside the storyline, why bother making it Dragonball then? Why not make a new MMO just based on a world of super fighters? (I.E. City of Heros as opposed to making Justice League Online...)

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:30 pm

I think it would be better (& convenient) if they brought this over to next gen consoles or something. I'm just not a PC gamer guy....at all.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:40 pm

Exactly how many Korean MMORPGs were released in North America? English-speaking Europe?
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

_Jrinu_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by _Jrinu_ » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:01 pm

Sebastian (SB) wrote:I think it would be better (& convenient) if they brought this over to next gen consoles or something. I'm just not a PC gamer guy....at all.
Oh, I totally agree, Console-Gamers all the way!
There is no better combination in the world than Dragonball, Cherry Pepsi, and Cheez-Its. It's a proven fact.
The Super Saiya-jin Bobba Fetts: Gym Class Badminton Champions 2006!!
Wii Friend Code: 1134 6268 9135 3724/ Xbox live gamertag: Jrinu
Jump Ultimate Stars Code: 2534 9452 9303