Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:18 pm

I see people now say GT Goku is more mature than Super Goku when I remember a lot of people would say GT Goku felt too childish at times despite being a 50+ year old in a kid body :lol: .
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:41 pm

People who bitch on gt flaws while ignoring super's gt was bad but super isn't exactly better than it while some may claim.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:29 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
MajinMan wrote:Well, this doesn't exactly grind my gears, but the term "I grew up with it" confuses me. I saw VegettoEX mention this in another thread, and it made me think of something. If you grew up with the dub and Faulconer music, does that mean, in your mind, that you cannot and absolutely will not watch the Japanese version (unless you have to like with DBS)? It seems very sheltered and ignorant to me that there are fans of the series that are heavily involved in discussions, keep up with current news, collect merchandise, and yet do not want to watch DB or Z (hell, even GT to an extent) in Japanese because they "grew up" with the dub.

If you have other reasons, then that's fine. But here's the thing. I grew up with the dub like most people, and yet I easily transitioned into the Japanese version. To me, I don't watch Dragon Ball because of a dub or anything like that. I watch it because I love the series, and the dub butchered so much of the source material that it eventually made me completely disregard it. I have nostalgia for Toonami, watching it as a kid, and all sorts of stuff like that, but that didn't stop me. I guess it does kind of grind my gears, but only because of the lack of effort and ignorance put into that response. I mean, hell, we're talking about potential 20+ year old people here.
What is hard to understand about someone simply not liking the Japanese voices?
My issue here, as a fan & advocate of dubbing, is the overwhelming adherence to FUNimation's basement Americanization of DBZ.

* The arguments used in favor of DBZ's (or Pokemon, or even MGS for that matter) are ones that would be absolutely unacceptable for almost any other show.

Nitpicks like "the voices dont fit" are entirely due to a lack of understanding of Toriyama's characterizations.

* Conversely, all the arguments in protest or dismissal of dubs go out the window when discussing these dubs.

* Beyond that, it pisses me off that the dub's "budget" almost doesnt exist, the actors are/were treated like trash, get no residuals, & the company producing the dubs has very little ties with the original Japanese company.

* FUNimation's dubs in general have these issues, & they probably would be close to DBZ's extent, had not the proliferation of fansubs through the Internet become a thing.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:09 pm

Not sure what your point is considering (even as a dub fan) I know the Z dub is pretty bad especially early on and overall prefer Kai nowadays. I like the Japanese a lot too, just still overall prefer the English voices especially post ~2010

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:29 pm

the actors are/were treated like trash, get no residuals
GASP! So? They had every right to take the job or not. They found those terms acceptable. That's not being treated like trash.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:55 pm

Some of the crap I've heard people say specifically about Yanami's Kaioh voice and him personally makes me a bit ticked off. Seriously, I've people saying, "He should die of cancer" and "I hope the old fart catches AIDS". I can't believe people actually have the balls to say that kinda crap.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:16 pm

Bansho64 wrote:me a bit ticked off. Seriously, I've people saying, "He should die of cancer" and "I hope the old fart catches AIDS". I can't believe people actually have the balls to say that kinda crap.
How do any of these people justify in their own minds saying things like this?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:03 am

ABED wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:me a bit ticked off. Seriously, I've people saying, "He should die of cancer" and "I hope the old fart catches AIDS". I can't believe people actually have the balls to say that kinda crap.
How do any of these people justify in their own minds saying things like this?
Simple, they just repeat the mantra "I am on the internet. There are zero consequences for anything I say here! So I am gonna say whatever I want and get away with it!" over and over. It's disgusting to watch, disgusting to read and disgusting to see humanity devolve in this manner.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:13 am

pacz360 wrote:People who bitch on gt flaws while ignoring super's gt was bad but super isn't exactly better than it while some may claim.
Super does have some bad plot holes, but I feel like Super is a better show. Super has give us better world building with so much new lore added to the story. Not to mention Goku Black is more interesting than any of the main villains in GT in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

A Man named RJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by A Man named RJ » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:28 am

When people say "DBZ IS the only Dub that's better than it's SUB" when talking about the original DBZ anime

Bruce Faulconer's annoying music, and his obnoxious fanbase

Tadayoshi Yamamuro being the character designer

The fact that DBZ post season 3 never got a redub outside of kai (that's just fucking lazy, Funimation - then again the Orange bricks were a quick cash-in with no real thought, the "remastering" was absolute gargabe, the entire process was actually explained on the back of the boxes in like 2 pargraphs, but yes only redubbing the first 3 seasons with improved voice actors JUST to jump back out of nowhere to the original horrors of that old dub reeks of pure Laziness on Funimation's behalf. It was just annoying, and Jarring no other word can really describe that)

Dub Fans who bash on Nozawa but pay no heed to 40 year old Naruto, and 19 year old Luffy - or even Allen Walker

Constantly Bashing Toei animation, whilst never mentioning SHueisha, or Fuji TV. Always expect people to say things like "Man Toei is so lazy" or "Toei sucks" or "I wish Madhouse would get this toei series (more on this later)" Ever notice they always bash Toei's shows for sucking by using 3 shows? It's always One Piece and Toriko, recently DBS

People who think that Super Shenron summoning was "really good animation"

The fact that Dragon Ball looked so good in that one flashback from Super but will probably never be reanimated like that.

Complete disregard for real martial arts after aerial combat became a thing

Broly's taint-worshipping squad.

People who think any of the movies outside of BoG and FnF are canon (yes this includes the stupid Trunks Sword thing)

People who reference Filler as real feats

Dragon ball (and really the anime community at large) having 0 idea of what Animation is much less good or bad animation. they always quote what is really horrible animation as something great, then say good animation is "so bad" or "so lazy" - speaking of

The overuse of the word "LAZY" when referring to a show with one of the worst schedules I've ever seen.

I briefly mentioned them but the MADHOUSE "Sword"-swallowers. you know the ones. the people who keep asking why MADHOUSE cant just animate every toei property ever.

But something that actually really makes me happy:
Back before I deleted my Facebook, when people saw the "no new episodes of Super" this month they were actually really upset. Seems a lot of the super hate has calmed down and that's awesome. People have begun to appreciate the series more and more.... wait One last peeve

The people who bash on Super but only know of it from internet articles about episode 5.Great way to dictate a show's quality. look at an episode with a confirmed production breakdown.
I am an Animator, Illustrator, and Voice Actor. Check out MY Animation Thesis! HERE

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:15 am

People who call anything they don't like a "cashgrab".

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:21 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
MajinMan wrote:Well, this doesn't exactly grind my gears, but the term "I grew up with it" confuses me. I saw VegettoEX mention this in another thread, and it made me think of something. If you grew up with the dub and Faulconer music, does that mean, in your mind, that you cannot and absolutely will not watch the Japanese version (unless you have to like with DBS)? It seems very sheltered and ignorant to me that there are fans of the series that are heavily involved in discussions, keep up with current news, collect merchandise, and yet do not want to watch DB or Z (hell, even GT to an extent) in Japanese because they "grew up" with the dub.

If you have other reasons, then that's fine. But here's the thing. I grew up with the dub like most people, and yet I easily transitioned into the Japanese version. To me, I don't watch Dragon Ball because of a dub or anything like that. I watch it because I love the series, and the dub butchered so much of the source material that it eventually made me completely disregard it. I have nostalgia for Toonami, watching it as a kid, and all sorts of stuff like that, but that didn't stop me. I guess it does kind of grind my gears, but only because of the lack of effort and ignorance put into that response. I mean, hell, we're talking about potential 20+ year old people here.
My issue here, as a fan & advocate of dubbing, is the overwhelming adherence to FUNimation's basement Americanization of DBZ.

* The arguments used in favor of DBZ's (or Pokemon, or even MGS for that matter) are ones that would be absolutely unacceptable for almost any other show.

Nitpicks like "the voices dont fit" are entirely due to a lack of understanding of Toriyama's characterizations.

* Conversely, all the arguments in protest or dismissal of dubs go out the window when discussing these dubs.

* Beyond that, it pisses me off that the dub's "budget" almost doesnt exist, the actors are/were treated like trash, get no residuals, & the company producing the dubs has very little ties with the original Japanese company.

* FUNimation's dubs in general have these issues, & they probably would be close to DBZ's extent, had not the proliferation of fansubs through the Internet become a thing.

You mean Metal Gear Solid, dont you? With M G and S.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:35 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I see people now say GT Goku is more mature than Super Goku when I remember a lot of people would say GT Goku felt too childish at times despite being a 50+ year old in a kid body :lol: .
DBS Goku is essentially the same thing except worse lol

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:49 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I see people now say GT Goku is more mature than Super Goku when I remember a lot of people would say GT Goku felt too childish at times despite being a 50+ year old in a kid body :lol: .
For instance?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:08 am

ABED wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
For instance?
Episode 53

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:09 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
My* The arguments used in favor of DBZ's (or Pokemon, or even MGS for that matter) are ones that would be absolutely unacceptable for almost any other show.

* Conversely, all the arguments in protest or dismissal of dubs go out the window when discussing these dubs..[/b]

You mean Metal Gear Solid, dont you? With M G and S.
Indeed, I do.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:51 pm

I'm pretty sure MGS got a pretty good translation. And Pokémon varies, sometimes it was very accurate, and other times it was you're classic 4 kids "JELLY FILLED DOUNTS".
(Also on the topics of translations, something that bothers me, when people say most NES games had terrible translations, which is inaccurate considering most NES games were written in English, so the LOZ opening isn't a result of a bad translator, it's a result of a Japanese person with the bare minimum knowledge of English)
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:58 pm

Now I REALLY want to hear about that. No really, and not necesarily because I disagree. Its something that's been bugging me and that I've been wanting to talk about.

MGS dubs usually are praised and presented to people as THE standard to achieve in dubbing,translation and localization. But Hideo Kojima actually wasnt all that happy with the dub and translation of the first 2 games, that they "Deviated" too much and hired a more accurate translator for all games onward, but went too crazy with the "Accuracy" and left things like Volgin saying a Japanese phrase to ward off lightning untranslated. There's even an infamous crazy translator lady who accused Kojima of being a hack.

The Whole Sordid thing is here: http://legendsoflocalization.com/qa-is- ... r-solid-2/

I think I would rather be like Shigesato Itoi and aprove deviations when appropiate, but otherwise utmost respect and accuracy for my script. Not that I think Hideo Kojima is a hack! Far from it.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:26 pm

For the most part, I enjoy DBZ and find it fairly enjoyable and epic.

But one thing that grinds my gears is that Akira Toriyama tends to forget about certain characters. He has (and continues to do so) introduced a galaxy of characters, and it's fairly natural that he can't keep track of them all, and can only focus on a limited cast or introduce new characters.

But there are certain characters, whom have their fans, that I wish that he could bring back, not necessarily for a major role but briefly:
- Lunch should be seen with Tien (she's my favourite DB lady, so this would be really nice for me)
- Vegeta's brother Tarble needs an appearance again
- Is Master Roshi's sister Baba still in touch with him?
- Where is Android 17?

After the way he made the Pilaf gang (especially Mai), Master Roshi (trained to fight Frieza's army) and Captain Ginyu (put himself into a soldier's mind) relevant again, it'd be nice to see if he could manage to bring back characters from DB history for a major/minor appearance.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:32 pm

A Man named RJ wrote: Dub Fans who bash on Nozawa but pay no heed to 40 year old Naruto, and 19 year old Luffy - or even Allen Walker
I was just about to say that Junko Takeuchi (Naruto) is Younger than Mayumi Tanaka (Luffy) but then figured out you didnt mean the Actresses but the Characters, and it IS pretty egregious that they keep Takeuchi as 40 year old Naruto.

BTW How old is Naruto in the Epilogue and the Boruto Movie.