900 Minutes of Uncut Action, DBZ Season 1 Arrives

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:13 pm

Well, I finally got around to putting SelMod's custom onto the bug orange box and I've gotta say that just the whole improvement of the cover made me go and watch a couple episodes the other day. To save you guys with slow internet, I'll put up links as opposed to just putting the pictures directly here:

- front
- back
- and just to remind me of how bad the boxart used to be, I actually kept one side of the box uncovered

As you may notice, the covers didn't wrap around and cover the front and back side completely, but I don't really mind that. Also, I like how it matches really well with FUNi's DB discs. Sure, this one's got a black spine, but I guess you could say that that's a way that makes it separate but still connected to the DB discs. (...kinda like the first Star Wars trilogy spine having silver lettering while the episodes I-III have gold... geez, my references are obscure :?...)
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

email2003
Beyond Newbie

Post by email2003 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:41 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Well, I finally got around to putting SelMod's custom onto the bug orange box and I've gotta say that just the whole improvement of the cover made me go and watch a couple episodes the other day. To save you guys with slow internet, I'll put up links as opposed to just putting the pictures directly here:

- front
- back
- and just to remind me of how bad the boxart used to be, I actually kept one side of the box uncovered

As you may notice, the covers didn't wrap around and cover the front and back side completely, but I don't really mind that. Also, I like how it matches really well with FUNi's DB discs. Sure, this one's got a black spine, but I guess you could say that that's a way that makes it separate but still connected to the DB discs. (...kinda like the first Star Wars trilogy spine having silver lettering while the episodes I-III have gold... geez, my references are obscure :?...)
WOW! Nice work there dude. Looks better than the crap FUNi put out.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:47 pm

If I ever happen upon/purchase this boxset, I'm easily going to use this new cover; it looks amazing!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:49 pm

Chuquita wrote:If I ever happen upon/purchase this boxset, I'm easily going to use this new cover; it looks amazing!
Walmart would be your best bet, literally only $30, at least the one I go to. :shock:
14 years later

FDLink
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FDLink » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:11 am

Don't . . . plug . . . the set.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:13 am

FDLink wrote:Don't . . . plug . . . the set.
Get over it, dude... :roll:

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:23 am

SonGokuGT wrote:
FDLink wrote:Don't . . . plug . . . the set.
Get over it, dude... :roll:
Yeah, shut up.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:46 am

yeah FDlink, shut your face, because even the most hardcore of the Internet's DBZ fans are complete bitches for this set.

Paaaaaaaaaaathetic.

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:02 am

ETC123 wrote:yeah FDlink, shut your face, because even the most hardcore of the Internet's DBZ fans are complete bitches for this set.

Paaaaaaaaaaathetic.
What?

You and him say the exact same things.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:52 am

BrollysKin wrote:
ETC123 wrote:yeah FDlink, shut your face, because even the most hardcore of the Internet's DBZ fans are complete bitches for this set.

Paaaaaaaaaaathetic.
What?

You and him say the exact same things.
I'm being Facecous(SP?).

Post by 707 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:09 am

Ok, so here's my deal... I went out and purchased the DVD set (25 bucks, from Target, because I work there.) and I've been watching it from the beginning. I'm 9 episodes into it at the moment, and I have to say that I got used to the widescreen quickly. The opening seemed off to me at first, probably because I've seen it so many times that I just KNOW something is missing. But in all honesty, the show frames up nicely in widescreen. Now that's not to say that it should be widescreen exclusively, but its not enough of an issue to force me into boycotting the set.

If it came down to the choice of either owning the series in nice, cheap, compact box sets, or not owning the series in its entirety at all, then I'd much rather make my deal with the devil. The show is pretty important to me, so I don't appreciate being told that I'm not a true fan if I buy this DVD set. I can't in any way afford the Dragonbox releases, nor would I want to own them because they're not subtitled, and on top of that I don't even know if I can play them on my DVD player. I own an HDTV, so the picture actually looks pretty nice on the screen. I'd rather have the fullscreen, since I don't CARE if the image fills up the entire screen or not, but it looks nice for what it is.

I don't know if any of you know this, but Sony recently re-released the Transformers movie in Widescreen with the same "digital remastering" technique (in other words, brighter colors with a red overlay) touting it as "The Widescreen Version That Everyone Has Always Wanted!!" And it was the same deal. Cropped image, with a slightly saturated picture. However, they included a separate UNREMASTERED fullscreen version on a second disc. And everyone in the Transformers community complained, and signed petitions, and vowed to hunt down older releases, or Laserdisc conversions. And to this day, its the only set available, and it has sold insanely well.

The set is selling extremely well at Target. I've seen at least three restocks since it came out, and it doesn't appear to be slowing down any time soon. There was also a huge cross-through sale of the available DBZ games that Target actually still has in stock at first. It seems to me that even the most organized of efforts on the online community's part would have little effect in slowing Funimation's plans for these sets. It would be nice to see them allow for the option of widescreen or full in future releases, maybe that would be a better position to take on the matter.

As for me, I've been quite enjoying the set so far. Yes, I did see Gohan turn blue for a split second. I haven't seen the pepper yet, but I'd like to know where that is. I plan on buying the next one, and any releases after that.

I was inspired to write this message by the podcast reviewing the set. It was my first podcast, and I enjoyed it. I wish I was still in my heyday, and could participate in one of those things. If EX ever wants to hook me up with a chance to chat on one of them, he should drop me a line. Or I guess I'd have to let him know that I'd be interested in talking about a specific topic, of which I don't have the same gusto to put forth as I used to. Now I feel old.

I plan on forgetting that I left this message, and never responding to any direct confrontation, if any should arise. I'll say in advance that I'm right, and anyone who says otherwise is a pugnacious simpleton.

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:41 am

707 wrote:I don't know if any of you know this, but Sony recently re-released the Transformers movie in Widescreen with the same "digital remastering" technique (in other words, brighter colors with a red overlay) touting it as "The Widescreen Version That Everyone Has Always Wanted!!" And it was the same deal. Cropped image, with a slightly saturated picture. However, they included a separate UNREMASTERED fullscreen version on a second disc. And everyone in the Transformers community complained, and signed petitions, and vowed to hunt down older releases, or Laserdisc conversions. And to this day, its the only set available, and it has sold insanely well.
Actually, like the DB/DBZ movies (also animated by Toei), "The Transformers" was actually animated in 4:3 and then cropped for it's theatrical release. You aren't losing any important picture... but I will admit that the remastering is a little... odd looking.

And kinda irrelevent, but it isn't the only set available. "The Transformers" had an earlier DVD release a few years ago, and I think it's supposed to get another one sometime soon, by a different company, with the actual audio to "Scramble City".

As a 15 year old... I feel like a complete nerd knowing that...

Anyways... I dunno why people think that buying the set will convince FUNi to never release fullscreen. I mean... people bought the Ultimate Uncuts... and we all know how that went.
[quote="Kunzait_83, on FUNimation's dub of [i]Dragon Ball Z[/i]"]"ACTION!!! EXTREME!!! AMERICAN!!!! PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!!! FUCK YEAH!!!"[/quote]
On [url=http://twitter.com/joey_blanton]my Twitter[/url], postin' some mad tweets.

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:42 am

707 wrote:I don't know if any of you know this, but Sony recently re-released the Transformers movie in Widescreen with the same "digital remastering" technique (in other words, brighter colors with a red overlay) touting it as "The Widescreen Version That Everyone Has Always Wanted!!" And it was the same deal. Cropped image, with a slightly saturated picture. However, they included a separate UNREMASTERED fullscreen version on a second disc. And everyone in the Transformers community complained, and signed petitions, and vowed to hunt down older releases, or Laserdisc conversions. And to this day, its the only set available, and it has sold insanely well.
Actually, like the DB/DBZ movies (also animated by Toei), "The Transformers" was actually animated in 4:3 and then cropped for it's theatrical release. You aren't losing any important picture... but I will admit that the remastering is a little... odd looking.

And kinda irrelevent, but it isn't the only set available. "The Transformers" had an earlier DVD release a few years ago, and I think it's supposed to get another one sometime soon, by a different company, with the actual audio to "Scramble City".

As a 15 year old... I feel like a complete nerd knowing that...

Anyways... I dunno why people think that buying the set will convince FUNi to never release fullscreen. I mean... people bought the Ultimate Uncuts... and we all know how that went.
[quote="Kunzait_83, on FUNimation's dub of [i]Dragon Ball Z[/i]"]"ACTION!!! EXTREME!!! AMERICAN!!!! PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!!! FUCK YEAH!!!"[/quote]
On [url=http://twitter.com/joey_blanton]my Twitter[/url], postin' some mad tweets.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:25 pm

707 wrote:But in all honesty, the show frames up nicely in widescreen.
....g'night everybody :P

-Corey

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:56 pm

But in all honesty, the show frames up nicely in widescreen.
I wonder if all those that says this(not singling out 707 in particular) would also say the same thing about "widescreen movies frames up nicely in pan-and-scan". After all, it's the exact same arguement. (and didn't the whole push for widescreen videos came about because everyone wanted to see the entire movies?)

At this point, I'm thinking I should just hunt down the R2 singles. Sure, expensive as heck, and no subtitles, but at least there's no BS going on with those releases.

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:17 pm

Well, it really looks like Daizex has gone down the shitter. Thanks cheapskates, thanks to you, people who want a quality release now have to import an expensive version all because you jumped ship for cheap shit.

As Dragonball fans, you're all pathetic (some company excluded, ie. those who didnt buy the boxset and justify with OMG TWENTY BUX).

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:26 pm

ETC123 wrote:Well, it really looks like Daizex has gone down the shitter. Thanks cheapskates, thanks to you, people who want a quality release now have to import an expensive version all because you jumped ship for cheap shit.

As Dragonball fans, you're all pathetic (some company excluded, ie. those who didnt buy the boxset and justify with OMG TWENTY BUX).
You're so very welcome.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Kaze no Mune
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaze no Mune » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:34 pm

ETC123 wrote:Well, it really looks like Daizex has gone down the shitter. Thanks cheapskates, thanks to you, people who want a quality release now have to import an expensive version all because you jumped ship for cheap shit.

Because everyone on this site can afford to buy expensive R2 DVDs in a language that very few of us have a good understanding of. Just because you bought the boxset doesn't mean you betrayed your fellow fans or you copped out, it's just the most efficient and best release available for an English speaking audience.

FDLink
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FDLink » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:40 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:Get over it, dude... :roll:
BrollysKin wrote:Yeah, shut up.
No.
707 wrote:If it came down to the choice of either owning the series in nice, cheap, compact box sets, or not owning the series in its entirety at all, then I'd much rather make my deal with the devil. The show is pretty important to me, so I don't appreciate being told that I'm not a true fan if I buy this DVD set. I can't in any way afford the Dragonbox releases, nor would I want to own them because they're not subtitled, and on top of that I don't even know if I can play them on my DVD player.
See, this is the problem. Most of you people think that the Dragonboxes are the ONLY other option. That's not the case at all.

The other option is for more people to sprout a spine, some balls, and stick it to FUNimation by complaining to them directly, and refusing to buy this set. If FUNi had received enough fan pressure as they should have, you can bet your ass that they would be in the process of releasing a 4:3 set by now, and you'd still have your precious $30 bargain.

I just don't get this fanbase. You crop any other popular animated show that was originally 4:3, and the fires of hell would be raining down on whatever company repsonsible. Not for DBZ, apparently.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:40 pm

Kaze no Mune wrote:Because everyone on this site can afford to buy expensive R2 DVDs in a language that very few of us have a good understanding of. Just because you bought the boxset doesn't mean you betrayed your fellow fans or you copped out, it's just the most efficient and best release available for an English speaking audience.
Don't bother. He's apparently God or something, and can hand out judgment and criticism willy-nilly and is never wrong.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!