This franchise has become a joke now

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: This franchise has become a joke now

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:07 pm

Cipher wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Kai really makes you realise how poorly aged DBZ is. I'm not saying this as a way of hiding flaws Super may have, but Dragon Ball Z was far from the crème de la crème in regards to quality anime. It had a lot of issues. It was good but heavily flawed. Hell, that sums up the whole franchise.
In terms of pacing? The latter half of the Namek arc in Z is borderline unwatchable, but on the whole the series is infinitely better directed than either Kai or Super. I think it holds up quite well even if you're seeing it for the first time in 2016.

Not that those two are high bench marks -- two rushed productions, one consisting of edited animation from an older series (with a replacement score) -- but I don't think Z seems any worse or better than it ever has.
In terms of pacing, hell yeah. DBZ has aged the worst in that regard. The animation and artstyle is also nothing that special to write home about, apart from the awesomeness that Studio Cockpit brought to the table during the Cell arc and Boo arc. The Majin Boo arc as a whole is actually quite consistent in terms visuals. The OST is also is timeless, as is the original voice acting for the original Japanese version and the original sound effects.

Vaughngief
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vaughngief » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:15 pm

Dragon Ball is a simple series and that's why a lot of people like it. It certainly has it's serious moments, but it's narrative has never been super deep. Stuff like SSJG, SSJB, Goku Black, and etc are a lot of fun for some (me included). Just stop watching the new material if you don't like it. If you want a stronger story and sense of consistency try One Piece: AKA Dragon Ball on boats.
I kid. I kid. I love One Piece.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:20 pm

TheMikado wrote:
I got the first season of Z and watching it now. It can be cheesy at times but even the filler is enjoyable.
I was mostly talking about the old DBZ movies and GT. Since Super started, I have seen fans saying that Toriyama needs to retire and let Toei do DB on their own again. I also see people that are like "Man the new DBZ movies suck. The old ones are so much better!".
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:42 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I also see people that are like "Man the new DBZ movies suck. The old ones are so much better!".
That is ... wrong.

Like, everyone's entitled to their opinions, but holy hell.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:46 pm

Cipher wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I also see people that are like "Man the new DBZ movies suck. The old ones are so much better!".
That is ... wrong.

We've only had two, but I do prefer a number of them to RoF.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:03 pm

Cipher wrote:
That is ... wrong.

I was not talking about here, but other places too. I seen people on Youtube and Social Media that will dislike the new movies and be like how the older movies are so much better.
She/Her

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:33 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
I got the first season of Z and watching it now. It can be cheesy at times but even the filler is enjoyable.
I was mostly talking about the old DBZ movies and GT. Since Super started, I have seen fans saying that Toriyama needs to retire and let Toei do DB on their own again. I also see people that are like "Man the new DBZ movies suck. The old ones are so much better!".
Some of the movies and GT were enjoyable. I liked BoG but thought SSG was BS. Hate ROF and SSB, hate the Super anime, but really really like the Super manga. Everyone has their own opinion and classic DBZ style is more appealing to me which is why I prefer both the manga, some movies, and GT to the Super anime.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:42 pm

I dont want to sound harsh but the OP sounds like "that" guy that makes the fanbase of any series look bad.

As someone else mentioned, he and others are probably still blinded my nostalgia and feel DBZ was the greatest series of all time(which IMO is wrong, FMBA, HxH2011, YYH, JJBA are better series).

DBS isnt a perfect series but its not bad as people think it is, its clearly targetting to the young fans, if you are an old fan and dont like it, then stop watching, just simple reasoning.

Also, DBZ never had great animation, had better directing, yes, but not better animation, its funny how some people think DBZ had Ufotable level of animation :D

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:07 pm

Incredible, isn't it?

Ever since GT ended, many fans have speculated if we would ever see new Dragon Ball material. It was apparent that Toriyama was done with it and moved on to different projects. Granted, we did get some new ideas from the video games, but never a new series.

One DBE and some OVA's later, we get two new DBZ movies and a new series that, apparently, continues the story in a manner no one saw coming.

I suppose we all had our own idea on what we wanted to see if Dragon Ball was to continue. You would think that after all this time, even if the story was simple, Toei would invest in Super a lot of time and money to make it have high quality and avoid some of the mistakes they made in Z.

But, no. We got what we got and we'll see if, after it's all over, the series was worth being part of the franchise.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:18 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I have seen fans saying that Toriyama needs to retire and let Toei do DB on their own again.
When Toriyama retires I think the franchise in terms of new stories should retire with him.
Esfír Dedragón wrote: You would think that after all this time, Toei would invest in Super a lot of time and money to make it have high quality and avoid some of the mistakes they made in Z.

We'll see if, after it's all over, the series was worth being part of the franchise.
I think Super should've been released twice a month instead of once a week cause that would've helped avoid some of its production problems.

Super will more than likely be over 100 episodes so I'm very interested in knowing what it'll be like when it reaches that and when it's eventually over.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:20 am

perucho1990 wrote:I dont want to sound harsh but the OP sounds like "that" guy that makes the fanbase of any series look bad.

As someone else mentioned, he and others are probably still blinded my nostalgia and feel DBZ was the greatest series of all time(which IMO is wrong, FMBA, HxH2011, YYH, JJBA are better series).

DBS isnt a perfect series but its not bad as people think it is, its clearly targetting to the young fans, if you are an old fan and dont like it, then stop watching, just simple reasoning.

Also, DBZ never had great animation, had better directing, yes, but not better animation, its funny how some people think DBZ had Ufotable level of animation :D
Yes, that's it! I'm blinded by nostalgia! That makes a lot of sense!
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Clayton

Post by Clayton » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:29 am

perucho1990 wrote:Also, DBZ never had great animation, had better directing, yes, but not better animation, its funny how some people think DBZ had Ufotable level of animation :D
the hell are you talking about? DBZ had better animation than that crap we saw on Super. Also, hand drawn work with ink is always nice to my eyes. a lot of new digital stuff makes characters look like plastic and seems sloppy. there have been some lazy animation here and there with Z, but it's far far far from what is on Super.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:34 am

I think a lot of people will say DBZ's animation was from great compare to other 90's anime like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun and Ninja Scroll. DBZ's animation was not bad since it did had a lot of great animated moments but you also had decent to bad animated scenes too.
She/Her

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:16 am

DB and DBZ were usually decently animated with a few standout or even above average moments, but lot of times though the fights were just repeated frames, stills, etc. There wasn't much that really leaves like a lasting impression on me besides like 10/290 episodes.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:52 am

Goku and the other Saiyans are constantly transforming, it gets tiresome as a plot device.
Well a bit late to complain about it now because that's all he series has ever done since he first became a Super Saiyan. Frieza transformed like three times, Cell transformed three times, Buu transformed about half a dozen times. Then you hard about half a dozen forms of Super Saiyan, then there were was fusion and that also transformed.

It's been a plot device since for decades.

In Super up to yet over four arcs all you've had is Goku transform twice and Vegeta, Frieza and Black transforms once. It's been the least transform heavy the series has been since that became a thing.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:06 am

F'real. Neither of the new material's transformations have been the climactic out to an arc either -- which we got to see twice in a row against Freeza and Cell, and a repeat performance against Baby. They were brought in alongside an entirely different kind of ki usage, so, at least in my mind, they don't feel like the tired additions they otherwise might.

Blue's usage has been suitably understated so far. The first time we see it, the user gets his ass kicked. It's just a way of (barely) getting Goku and Vegeta into the hugely superior realms of power the series has stepped into with a bit of visual flair.

We'll see what's up with Rosé. But it's not like Black wasn't going to have some form of Super Saiyan. That was a given the moment the subject of the arc was announced.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:12 am

Bullza wrote:
Goku and the other Saiyans are constantly transforming, it gets tiresome as a plot device.
Well a bit late to complain about it now because that's all he series has ever done since he first became a Super Saiyan. Frieza transformed like three times, Cell transformed three times, Buu transformed about half a dozen times. Then you hard about half a dozen forms of Super Saiyan, then there were was fusion and that also transformed.

It's been a plot device since for decades.

In Super up to yet over four arcs all you've had is Goku transform twice and Vegeta, Frieza and Black transforms once. It's been the least transform heavy the series has been since that became a thing.
It's not a bit late. You missed the point. I know they've transformed like crazy since Super Saiyan, but at a certain point it becomes too much for people. It's a matter of degree. It hit the point of diminishing marginal returns YEARS ago. You aren't helping your argument by pointing out all the transformations. Even when you write that Super is less transformation heavy, there have still been a number of forms. I can't look at Super in isolation. It's a continuation of the series, so it's simply adding to the number of transformations.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:33 am

That's just a matter personal taste. It's what the series does, you've known that for years so I don't know why you think it'd suddenly stop being that way. There are plenty of people, probably the majority that prefer having all these new forms.

Battle of Gods wouldn't have been nearly as successful without Goku getting a new form in it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:53 am

Bullza wrote:That's just a matter personal taste. It's what the series does, you've known that for years so I don't know why you think it'd suddenly stop being that way. There are plenty of people, probably the majority that prefer having all these new forms.

Battle of Gods wouldn't have been nearly as successful without Goku getting a new form in it.
It doesn't matter to me what the majority thinks. I haven't been entertained by new transformations for a while. Whether Battle of Gods would've been nearly as successful without a new form is conjecture.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:58 am

Well the series targets to please as many people as possible and that's what seems to please people.

Of course BoG did better because of Super Saiyan God. That's why it as included, it was a big marketing tool that's gets people talking and raises interest in the movie.

Whether it made the movie a little more or a lot more money who knows but it certainly helped it make more money just like how Resurrection F wouldn't have made as much money if the final battle had been between SSJ Goku and Final Form Frieza.