Why can't I edit my posts?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Why can't I edit my posts?

Post by Cipher » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:49 am

As of this evening, my ability to edit posts seems to have disappeared. I'm logged in, but the button seems to have vanished. As a serial editor, this is very upsetting.

Here's a recent example. Button's gone in the top corner:

Am I just being a big dumb? Did I break it?
Last edited by Cipher on Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Why can't I edit my posts?

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:53 am

You can only Edit up till 2 hours after posting, unless you made the first post, which can be edited indefinitely(since you have the first post in this thread yiu can try it out later).
I just posted this and the edit function is working for me.
Last edited by dbgtFO on Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:54 am

Ah, that explains why I was able to edit this one then.

Has that always been the case? I could swear I've edited things older than that before.

EDIT (while I still can) --

Apparently it was a php.BB 3.1 change. It's shocking to me I hadn't tried it or noticed it since then, but oh well.
Post Editing Privileges
We are shifting to a style that is commonly used across the Internet: topic creators may edit their initial post indefinitely (useful for "Official Topic/Thread"-type discussions, or collections of information), while individual responses from other users may only be edited up to two hours after the initial posting (as opposed to being open for editing indefinitely). Kanzenshuu is about documenting history, and specifically that history as it originally happened and was originally stated. While we of course think people should have a little bit to reflect on what they post, part of being a responsible Internet citizen is understanding that what you say remains online forever. You are creating history as you leave your comments; that is something "awesome" in the actual sense of that word, and should be treated with respect and care as your contributions become part of a greater whole.
Sorry for the thread, everybody.
Last edited by Cipher on Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:57 am

It was implemented with the forum upgrade a few months back.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:00 am

dbgtFO wrote:It was implemented with the forum upgrade a few months back.
Took advantage of my two-hour time window to add that to the previous post before your reply came in. Thanks for the help.

This was embarrassing. Sorry sorry!