Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue - [Updated with #57]

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:01 am

What a great episode! Also the art in the NEP that is very clearly Yashima still looks pretty polished for him.
Nothing jumped out at me as Karasawa in this episode, feels kinda like his role as Supervisor was pretty small compared to Kitano.
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:There were so many great shots from Shida's cut.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
I think this might top Naoki Tate's cut from Episode 26 for me. There's just so much going on. I love it.
I think Shida's cut is probably the best in Super, honestly I like it more than his BoG cut even.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:08 am

Wait, all this brings a question to my mind. If this is what Shida can do on a tight schedule without any CG or influence from Yamamoto, what would his BOG cut look like without CG? I remembered a lot of people said that they were taken out of the experience and that their eyes hurt when the camera zoomed out of the clouds in his cut of SS Goku and Beerus fighting. I personally didn't have a problem with it and I find that cut thumb bitingly amazing but it's just a what-if.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:11 am

ArchedThunder wrote: I think Shida's cut is probably the best in Super, honestly I like it more than his BoG cut even.
Agreed, his cute in the movie was yamamuroed.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:14 am

Any idea who did the nice looking shots like this in the first half?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Could it have been Karasawa chaning his style? It feels pretty Z compared to most of Super.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:18 am

ArchedThunder wrote:I think Shida's cut is probably the best in Super, honestly I like it more than his BoG cut even.
It definitely has the advantage of not being supervised by Yamamuro, so Shida's style was able to shine through more. Modern day Shida's Dragon Ball drawings are among my favorite!
Bansho64 wrote:Wait, all this brings a question to my mind. If this is what Shida can do on a tight schedule without any CG or influence from Yamamoto, what would his BOG cut look like without CG? I remembered a lot of people said that they were taken out of the experiencs and that their eyes hurt when the camera zoomed out of the clouds in his cut of SS Goku and Beerus fighting.
Sadly, we'll never know what it'd look like other than it would have looked much better! The other cuts you can look at that feature an unfiltered Shida drawing Dragon Ball are these two cuts from the Dragon Ball x One Piece x Toriko special. It's this kinda thing that really opens your eyes about Yamamuro's supervision.
ArchedThunder wrote:Any idea who did the nice looking shots like this in the first half?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Could it have been Karasawa chaning his style? It feels pretty Z compared to most of Super.
I think it's Karasawa. Most of his drawings look like stuff straight out of Z anyway!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:35 am

I think the most notable difference had Shida had more than 7 and a half weeks (or how ever much time he actually had) would have mainly been shading through out the cut and the art having a tiny bit more polish.
God I hope Shida shows up now and then for Super! Shida coming in and doing a cut like that probably gets the message across to other animators that the schedule isn't complete hell anymore more than anything Toei could have ever told them, so hopefully we start seeing more great animators pop in.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:36 am

Anime Kitten wrote:I have my weekly request: that shot of Zamasu where you can see him grinning, but his eyes are off-screen/shaded.
This?

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:43 am

If it took Shida 7 weeks, then that means he did that whole scene in terms of key animating and inbetweening right? My apologies, I did ask this on the other page but it amazes me.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:47 am

Bansho64 wrote:If it took Shida 7 weeks, then that means he did that whole scene in terms of key animating and inbetweening right? My apologies, I did ask this on the other page but it amazes me.
He didn't't necessarily spend seven weeks on this segment. The cuts are far too short for this to be seven weeks worth of work. He also worked on One Piece Episode #755 recently.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:02 am

Ajay wrote:

I'm speechless. I can't even describe what I feel. Excuse me. I will remember this scene for the rest of my life.

Shida is a god.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:56 am

i thought the animation itself was pretty good, however the art in this episode was off many times. The good thing is the shots that weren't off were really really nice, for example that shot of Black using Instant Transmission that Super Saiyan Swagger posted. I also liked the shot ArchedThunder posted of Goku in the first half as SSB.

By the way, did anyone notice that at one point when Zamasu was talking to Trunks, he was drawn almost exactly as Kaioshin was drawn in Dbz? If you changed Zamasu's color you would of thought it was Kaioshin :P

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:02 am

DainIronfoot wrote:i thought the animation itself was pretty good, however the art in this episode was off many times. The good thing is the shots that weren't off were really really nice, for example that shot of Black using Instant Transmission that Super Saiyan Swagger posted. I also liked the shot ArchedThunder posted of Goku in the first half as SSB.

By the way, did anyone notice that at one point when Zamasu was talking to Trunks, he was drawn almost exactly as Kaioshin was drawn in Dbz? If you changed Zamasu's color you would of thought it was Kaioshin :P
There was quite a bit of unpolished art, not surprising considering the staff size on this episode was so small. I have no idea why they decided to do this episode with so few animators when they've put much larger numbers of animators on less important episodes before. Overall the good art and the animation made up for it though.
Sodhi wrote:
Anime Kitten wrote:I have my weekly request: that shot of Zamasu where you can see him grinning, but his eyes are off-screen/shaded.
This?
This I think.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:58 am

That Shida cut was fantastic!! Episode as a whole looked pretty good few off shots but nothing major.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:26 am

Cursemark505 wrote: His work on One Piece today lasted 1 minute and 35 seconds.
His work on Super only lasted 25 seconds.

Oh really? My mistake then. Much like Sodhi, I just saw the clip on the booru and assumed.

I'm a few weeks behind on One Piece at the moment. Thanks for the clarification.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:48 am

Interesting damage model inconsistency that I noticed.
for the entire episode with the exception of Shida's cut Goku's damage model was very simple:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
He's drawn with no scratch marks until he gets hit by Black's Kamehameha and the only clothing damage he has is the cut on his front symbol.
But in Shida's cut his damage model is completely different:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
He's got scratch marks and he has a cut on his shoulder, leg and on the opposite side of his symbol.
Interestingly the damage in the next episode is closer to Shida's cut:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
I wonder what caused this inconsistency, I can't think of any other instance of battle damage changing like this in Super.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:50 am

Does Shida do the in-betweens for his animation as well as the key animation? I'm very glad that people are recognizing how good of an animator Shida is, he's my favorite animator at Toei.
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:00 am

I sometimes wonder what kind of work we could get out of these animators if they had real money to play with? Say, $100 Million USD for a theatrical film. On par with Miyazaki's work? Or do they not have anything viable enough to market? I'm hoping with Legendary now having Chinese backers with deep pockets we'll eventually start seeing Manga like DB/Z and One Piece get a proper live action film. Crossing my fingers...

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:27 am

Good news! Shida just tweeted that he's scheduled to work on Super again in the future.
少し間を空けてまた参加する予定です(^^)
It's planned for me to participate again after a little while (^^)
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:29 am

PMD wrote:
Ajay wrote:

I'm speechless. I can't even describe what I feel. Excuse me. I will remember this scene for the rest of my life.

Shida is a god.
That is probably one of the best fight sequences I've ever seen in Dragon Ball

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:30 am

This is great, I hope he can make a longer scene this time, seems like he enjoyed working on Super :lol: