Dragon Ball Online on the way

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:25 am

Holy cow. Forget World of Warcraft; if this comes out in the states, it'll definitely be my PC game of choice. God knows I have a weakness for big RPGs... modeled after stuff I already love... (Then again, there was Diablo II... but that game kicked lots of ass anyway so it wasn't hard for me to play through...)

Anyway. Assuming the developers don't fuck the game up with a lack of creative character designs (I mean, they're not thinking of just using Saiyans, Humans, Nameckians, and Cyborgs as races, are they? D: ), I think the look of this game will prove very interesting. The thing I'd like to see as far as character designs go is an abundance of flexibility in putting them together. They've got the basics for creating custom characters down, which is something I've ALWAYS wanted to see in a Dragonball game, but I'd like to see them add on to it (so that we don't in fact see a bunch of Goku and Vejita clones running around everywhere xD;; ). If I want to make a Saiyan, I'd like to make one who doesn't look like every other Saiyan with a different hair color, thank you very much. In fact, if I've got a specific design for an OC of mine, I'd like to be able to make an in-game counterpart that, if it doesn't match the original completely, at least comes really damn close to it. THAT'S how much flexibility I'm looking for. :P Ah-hah, so focused on aesthetics... xD;;;

Several other people have mentioned different races found in DB and DBZ that could be used (and for the game's sake, probably should), but unfortunately, I'm not sure they'll be able to fit that many playable races into the game, at least not without several different installments. I mean, regular WoW has like, what, five classes available to choose from for each of the two alignments, right? I can see about only ten races max that people could choose to play from; every other race in the game has to be restricted to NPCs-only (Kais, anyone?). Take your pick of what stays. And as for half-breeds... well, how the hell will they be able to handle those? I highly doubt they'll think of bothering beyond one or two forms of those, at best...

Personally, in addition to Cyborgs, Saiyans, Nameckians, and Humans, I'd like to see Animal people and maybe one half-breed form in addition to a few other alien races. Demons would be nice, too, actually. I think the Animal people race would probably have, like, several different sub-species in itself that would lend to individuality (c'mon, tigers, wolves, bears, fish, oxen, dinosaurs... dragons, even?! You can't say that wouldn't be cool). I can only hope that they'll be so creative with extra races and how they can be customized, but I suppose it's nice to dream...

As for classes, well, hopefully they'll be just as creative as I'm hoping they'll be with the actual character designs/races. It should probably be figured so that each race is limited in its choice of class. Some classes can be taken by some races, some by others, a couple by all and a couple by only one or two, sort of like the WoW system. And the classes available for each race would have to be logical (would it really make sense to offer a gun-toting Soldier class for a Saiyan character, for instance?). Shamans/Druids, Bounty Hunters, Scientists/Technicians, Tricksters, etc. would provide some good variation as far as these go; it doesn't always have to be centered around Warriors, Soldiers, Martial Artists, Healers and Wizards and the like. Heh, I can kind of see Saiyans being able to use a class like Druid... like, they have the Oozaru form, but not every Saiyan can control/use it effectively outside of a class like that... but eh, that's my fantasy geekness showing right there... >__>; Also, the classes would have to be balanced with each other. As much more powerful Martial Artists in the actual Dragonball world are compared to everybody else, they'd have to be dumbed down for the sake of fairness in an MMORPG like this. Otherwise, people would just flock mostly to that particular class because it's so "OMGub3r-p0w3rfu1" and the other classes would be deftly neglected. They've got their own useful characteristics; why not give them ample enough chance to shine? It would further help with making unique player characters to make every class just as appealing as the others.
caejones wrote:And a good/evil system would probably exist [...] good/neutral/evil/etc could play a role in what characters can do.
For the Horde!! ... What? o-o

Yeah, as for alignment... I sure hope the developers decide to include them. The duality of good and evil should make for some really fascinating storylines and character encounters. Just, I would prefer if they would also include a neutral alignment to serve as a median. One of the things I dislike about WoW is the fact that you've got to either go with one extreme or the other, and you can't play as certain characters or races simply because they can't be grouped into either side. It sucks how you can't just take the middle road with them... :(

Concerning the actual in-game story itself, I don't think we need a new retelling of the original story of Dragonball; the past few games have given us this many times over already and it's getting kind of old. -_- Something different would be rather nice. Homage to the initial story would be great, but as long as the developers craft a rich setting and a masterful (or at least decent, considering it's a Dragonball game we're talking about) storyline, I could care less if it's set 200 years in the future or on a far-off planet in an alternate universe with Abominable Snow Wookies. The big thing they should worry about is preserving the integrity of the concept that makes Dragonball Dragonball, but beyond that all they need are some intelligent, accomplished storytelling and creativity up the wazoo. Making sure of just those things alone would probably make this game a cut above the rest of the DBZ games that have preceded it thus far. It's certainly something I'd be willing to bet on.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LONG-ASS POST. Forgive me for this huge excuse for spam. Now you know just what kind of person the Kino is... I'm such a freaking loser to be so enamored by this stuff... DDDDDDDD:

EDIT: And, oh:
caejones earlier wrote:There are lots of things we can expand on without worrying about just fighting uniqueness... and if we can get solid engines for types of abilities and how to customize them, that could turn out well. *thinks of something from a certain text RPG that shouldn't be mentioned*.
What text RPG are you talking about? I might recognize it if I knew the title... o-o
Last edited by KinoFourpaws on Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

gohanku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by gohanku » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:55 am

Yeah, who cares about World of Warcraft, DragonBall Online just did one thing no RPG has ever done before, including a grow up system... KinoFourpaws might be on to something here, I want to see some controlled Oozaru man, and the dying thing, I still want to see how it would work out.
[quote="SSj Kaboom talking about Future Gohan in BT3"]I feel sorry for Future Gohan.

Everyone's like, "What?! What are you doing with [b][i]two[/i][/b] arms?! You tear that off right now, mister!"

Poor guy.[/quote]
Lol'ed.

Maker777
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Maker777 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:32 am

The Namekian looks like a Cell Jr but tall and without his tall ear things. If it comes out here I may get it. Depends if you have to pay for it.
[b]Mr.Pedestrian[/b]
[url=http://www.users.on.net/~mateen/][b]Shnay Krew[/b][/url]
[url=http://mrpedestrian.deviantart.com/][b]DeviArt[/b][/url] || [url=http://www.myspace.com/_1_a][b]MySpace[/b][/url]

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:42 am

Maker777 wrote:The Namekian looks like a Cell Jr but tall and without his tall ear things. If it comes out here I may get it. Depends if you have to pay for it.
I'm pretty sure you're going to have to pay for it. And, if it's anything like WoW besides the layout, you'll probably have to pay for monthly online access as well (where have you gone, Battle.net? D: ).

Yeah... I don't have the money to be paying for two RPGs like that at once. WoW, it was fun while it lasted, but I'm afraid I'm never going to take up the offer to date you... :P
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:46 am

Kino wrote:What text RPG are you talking about? I might recognize it if I knew the title... o-o
It's got three members... I'd be more than slightly excited if anyone here (besides the two members that make up most of it) knew about it.

As for alignment. Neutrality is a necessity, if you ask me. Maybe a carma-based system, and people choose a general starting range (like, a starting level for good/evil/neutral) when creating their character and if they do things that violate alignment/class restrictions, their carma changes And stuff. And naturally carma would determine your fate upon death. (And I'd imagine there should be restrictions on things like suicide... because I'd imagine a lot of people would try to get killed to go learn GenkiDama and KaioKen...). Again with the issue of balancing logical limitations on achievements and fanboy cravings... o.o.

Did someone say that there's supposed to be some kind of marriage system? I wonder what that would involve?

*suddenly thinks of the tenkaichiBudokai and realizes that there will likely be lots of random martial arts groups and tournaments all over the place*.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:54 am

KinoFourpaws wrote:
Maker777 wrote:The Namekian looks like a Cell Jr but tall and without his tall ear things. If it comes out here I may get it. Depends if you have to pay for it.
I'm pretty sure you're going to have to pay for it. And, if it's anything like WoW besides the layout, you'll probably have to pay for monthly online access as well (where have you gone, Battle.net? D: ).
They went on to create Arena.net and make Guild Wars. >.>;;

Either way, I hope they don't turn this into a Priston Tale where you can have some adventures and have all of five customisation options per character part. The more customisation the better. XD

And if I play it, I think I'll be a good ol' human. <.<;;

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:26 am

gohanku wrote:Yeah, who cares about World of Warcraft, DragonBall Online just did one thing no RPG has ever done before, including a grow up system...
:) I think you'd better check your facts on that...

Rad Raddish
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Rad Raddish » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:06 pm

It seems like portions of this stuff has been posted already, but I'll just dump this here since some of it has been neglected:
Bandai Visual has announced a new online Dragon Ball MMO

Today, Bandai Visual announced that Akira Toriyama's popular manga and anime series "Dragon Ball" will become an online game called "Dragon Ball Online". Toriyama will oversee the project, while the Tokyo/Seoul-based company "NTL" will develop it. The game is scheduled for a release in 2008 in Japan, but a beta test in Korea will start this summer. Fees and payment schedules are undecided at this time.

The game itself is based in a world several hundred years after the events of Dragon Ball. This allows for both well-known characters and all-new characters to be introduced to gamers. Players can freely customize their hair, clothing and other facets of their character, group with other players and defeat powerful enemies and quests. Players can also challenge one another in combat.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ed-in-2008

http://www.4gamer.net/news/history/2007 ... etail.html

http://www.4gamer.net/news/image/2007.0 ... 8_0big.jpg
http://www.4gamer.net/news/image/2007.0 ... 8_3big.jpg
http://www.4gamer.net/news/image/2007.0 ... 8_2big.jpg
"Ah ha ha ha! Ah, excuse me, has anyone seen my arm? Ha ha ha ha! You can't miss it, it's green."
-Raditz

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:17 pm

KinoFourpaws wrote:(Everything)
Yeah, I just hope this isn't some kind of April Fools joke or anything (Its been too quiet lately, I'm on my guard)...Doesn't anyone think this could be a bit suspicious..? Almost exactly like one of the most successful PC games of all time? Akira Toriyama coming out of the woodwork to do this?Hmm, we'll just have to see.

If this is real and eventually comes to the US, I'll get it...only after waiting a few months. I wouldn't want to spend money on a game just based on its title and some screen shots.I was never a fan of the WoW craze anyway so I don't have experience with MMOs at all. If anything, I'll just wait to see this game's Leroy Jenkins in the future..
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Lord Moonstone
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lord Moonstone » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:27 pm

If it was in V-Jump, it has to be legit. I doubt they'd put an April Fool's Joke in there with one of the biggest announcements (IMO) for Dragon Ball fans.

If it did turn out to be a joke of this grand of a scale, who would listen to anything else groundbreaking V-Jump would say?
俺のこの手が真っ赤に燃えるぅ!! 勝利を食せと轟き叫ぶ!

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:20 pm

Did anyone else notice that in the 3rd picture, that guys name was "SSMania" instead of SSJ.Apparently they don't view these forums :lol:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:43 pm

Well, I've never really been into stuff like WoW, but if DB's involved, then that's enough for me.

As for the whole continuation thing, a good number of stuff must be broken in terms of the number of class types existing, etc, but that's expected. As for the whole outburst from Star Wars fans example... I'm not sure there are that many people who would complain (sorry if I'm waaay wrong about that).

Anyways, yep, this is good news and I sure am hoping this will come to the states soon enough (though that means it'll be sometime next year or something-- getting back into these DB releases sure reminds me of the gap between an announcement and a release :?...)
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Kiba101
Banned

Post by Kiba101 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:32 pm

the game looks ill

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:44 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Well, I've never really been into stuff like WoW, but if DB's involved, then that's enough for me.
Please don't tell me you'd try a whole new genre of gaming just because it features Dragonball. >.>;;

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:59 pm

Pedro The Hutt wrote:
DaemonCorps wrote:Well, I've never really been into stuff like WoW, but if DB's involved, then that's enough for me.
Please don't tell me you'd try a whole new genre of gaming just because it features Dragonball. >.>;;
Well yeah. Characters play a pretty big role in what stuff I choose to play.

I guess if I were to throw out an obscure reference to this, it would be like why kids prefer one type of cereal as opposed to another-- because it's represented by a character that looks cool to them. Characters like those in WoW or Star Wars are interesting to watch, but I'd never like to play as them. At least with DragonBall I'm a big enough fan to understand the universe in general before even playing.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:16 pm

If anyone's interested, I've whipped up a wallpaper with the images provided. Nothing too pretty since I'm no photoshop expert, but it works for me.

A thought occured to me; is the concept art of the boy and girl drawn by Toei, or by Akira Toriyama?

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:18 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:If anyone's interested, I've whipped up a wallpaper with the images provided. Nothing too pretty since I'm no photoshop expert, but it works for me.

A thought occured to me; is the concept art of the boy and girl drawn by Toei, or by Akira Toriyama?
Looks like Mr.Toriyama's designs, using Bulma's design for the girl and Goku's Face/ Chrono's Hair for the boy.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:44 am

Black Mist wrote:This looks awseome but if people from this forum get Player versus player could have a totally new meaning:
Magneto:Buff buu is weaker than Kid Buu! *uses a five punch combo*
Other Daizex member: That's not True plus mystic Gohan could beat them both! *shoots ki blasts*
Duo: Its not called Mystic! *Shoots a big bang attack defeats both*
Haha, much love for the mention.

But on subject, I'm not at all happy with the fact this is going to exist. In my mind it will catapult Dragonball fandom to a new level of pissing me off. And I'm not much of an MMORPG person so I have no interest in that regard either.

Ugh...just give me my Manga and leave me alone. This stuff exhausts me.

gohanku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by gohanku » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:26 am

Deus ex Machina, that wallpaper is so saved. And for the designs, I think Akira Toriyama is doing it, wasn't it said that he was doing the art?
[quote="SSj Kaboom talking about Future Gohan in BT3"]I feel sorry for Future Gohan.

Everyone's like, "What?! What are you doing with [b][i]two[/i][/b] arms?! You tear that off right now, mister!"

Poor guy.[/quote]
Lol'ed.

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:10 am

Prepare to be immersed into a world of chaos, where your only companion is fear, hatred, and anger. Prepare to have everything you know and love obliterated. Prepare yourselves for the true meaning of 'pain'.

WAR IS COMING.

The Room 29 Army will form an unstoppable guild, and plunge the Dragon World into dismay. We'll give a whole new meaning to the term 'The Dark Ages'. :twisted:

Once we attain the Dragon Balls, we'll be immortal! Oh yes, I can taste it know... world domination...

Hahahahahahahahahaha! Hahahahahahahahahaha!

No one can stop us!
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~