Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JustSomeFella

Re: Super Animation Catalogue - [Updated with #60]

Post by JustSomeFella » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:16 pm

The fact that they outsourced pretty much the whole episode (based on what some of you are saying) combined with the week-long breaks makes me excited for the next couple episodes. Seems like they've been managing their time wisely.

That led to them having to make some sacrifices on this episode (some of these shots were brutal) but I still enjoyed it. And it'll be worth it in the end, I think, if the final battle is good.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:21 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:For some reason, all the time and attention was put into making every shot of Black's face look great :lol:
As it should be. He's been one best thing to come out of Super and it's only natural that the animators make sure he looks fabulous in every shot.

LonelyShadow
Beyond Newbie

Post by LonelyShadow » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:17 pm

Could someone please identify the ones responsible for these two shots?
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

supersaiyan DbZ fan
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyan DbZ fan » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:21 pm

LonelyShadow wrote:Could someone please identify the ones responsible for these two shots?
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Wow these look amazing! I can't wait for next week!
Someone hit me up when Krillin, Tien, Yamcha, Chiaotzu :lolno:, Goten, Buu, and Gohan :!: :!: :!: become relevant again :?

samuo2
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue - [Updated with #59]

Post by samuo2 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:28 pm

Ajay wrote: As a side note: I've started updating the main post based on feedback I received during the last overhaul. A lot of you weren't huge fans of me replacing the embedded images with text links as you liked having an easy visual reference.

I hope the current format (only present under Shimanuki currently) is a nice compromise. Let me know what you think!

If it's all positive then I'll go ahead and update the rest at some point.
Hey! I regulary check your thread, very usefull to learn about Super's Animators, but there is something that I'm not fan about, and it's exactly these visual refrerences that you were talking about.

The problem, to me, isn't the presentation of them, but more the choice of the images.
I assume that you pick images from the same intervals for each episodes, to remind to everybody what the episode looks like as an overall, but I think that it isn't the best choice for that kinf of thread.

For me, it would be more significant if you choose only images draw or corrected by the animator director you introduce, to make easier to everyone to recognize his style. For exemple for Shimanuki's presentation, when I selected Super's 12th Episode there is some picture from other animator, like one of Kinoshita and so one, and I think it isn't the best way to represent Animators.

Obviously it's only an analysis and maybe you have another goal in mind explaining why you choose this presentation, or maybe what I am suggesting is too busy or impossible to apply to each episodes, but I wanted to share it^^
English isn't my native Language, please be understanding with faults and other grammatical mistakes, and don't hesitate to correct me !

Ajay

Re: Super Animation Catalogue - [Updated with #59]

Post by Ajay » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:52 pm

samuo2 wrote: Hey! I regulary check your thread, very usefull to learn about Super's Animators, but there is something that I'm not fan about, and it's exactly these visual refrerences that you were talking about.

The problem, to me, isn't the presentation of them, but more the choice of the images.
I assume that you pick images from the same intervals for each episodes, to remind to everybody what the episode looks like as an overall, but I think that it isn't the best choice for that kinf of thread.

For me, it would be more significant if you choose only images draw or corrected by the animator director you introduce, to make easier to everyone to recognize his style. For exemple for Shimanuki's presentation, when I selected Super's 12th Episode there is some picture from other animator, like one of Kinoshita and so one, and I think it isn't the best way to represent Animators.

Obviously it's only an analysis and maybe you have another goal in mind explaining why you choose this presentation, or maybe what I am suggesting is too busy or impossible to apply to each episodes, but I wanted to share it^^
Actually, they're all picked manually. Have been from the beginning.

The thing is, this thread is nearly a year old at this point, so while it's obvious who certain people are now, this wasn't the case back then. While many of the earlier episode examples are mostly accurate, you're not wrong in saying some posts feature shots that aren't 100% representative of the supervisors' style. Sometimes this is a consious decision if there's a style that stands out or is just as present as the supervisors, though.

A while ago I went back and corrected a lot of the most offending issues from the earlier episodes, so it's not a hugely widespread issue, at least. Definitely not an issue with recent episodes, but learning animators' styles is an ever evolving process, so there's bound to be changes and discoveries as the show continues.

I've been planning a gigantic overhaul for this thread for a while, but it's going to take a lot of work. I think it'll definitely alleviate the ambiguity in some of the posts, but yeah, I'll have to ask for a bit of patience there.

Glad the thread has been useful to you so far. I appreciate the feedback!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

samuo2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by samuo2 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:19 pm

Ajay wrote:Actually, they're all picked manually. Have been from the beginning.

The thing is, this thread is nearly a year old at this point, so while it's obvious who certain people are now, this wasn't the case back then. While many of the earlier episode examples are mostly accurate, you're not wrong in saying some posts feature shots that aren't 100% representative of the supervisors' style. Sometimes this is a consious decision if there's a style that stands out or is just as present as the supervisors, though.

A while ago I went back and corrected a lot of the most offending issues from the earlier episodes, so it's not a hugely widespread issue, at least. Definitely not an issue with recent episodes, but learning animators' styles is an ever evolving process, so there's bound to be changes and discoveries as the show continues.

I've been planning a gigantic overhaul for this thread for a while, but it's going to take a lot of work. I think it'll definitely alleviate the ambiguity in some of the posts, but yeah, I'll have to ask for a bit of patience there.

Glad the thread has been useful to you so far. I appreciate the feedback!
Okey I see!

It takes courage to edit your thread like this, you have all my support. It's great to see somebody as perfectionnist as you.

But yeah it's understandable that we didn't know all animators styles from the beginning, we discovered Kinoshita's one just recently after all, and there is a lot of work left to identify other animators, I think.

Good luck!
English isn't my native Language, please be understanding with faults and other grammatical mistakes, and don't hesitate to correct me !

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:01 pm

- NEP Episode 61-

Holy shit, it looks out of this world. Shimanuki will finally have the chance to do a major battle now with better schedule. I expect the best from him.
Fingers crossed!

-Yamamuro-

Well, I love his work so if he didn't work on the new ending, i hope we will pop up soon in Super. Or better yet, that means a new OVA/Movie is coming.
Something for Jump Festa would be cool. :P

-Questions time-

Do they only outsource to Korea when they are against the schedule? Is something that a more normal schedule like One Piece has too?

I was looking here on animation guide and we had lot of competent studios back then.
While in Super, everytime Korea touches a episodes it looks trash. Why don't they find a more competent team?

Where we stand right now with Super, when it comes to studios working on Super? Toei Animation, Korea and Freelancers? Just 3 different groups helping out?!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:10 pm

Beauty at its finest.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:13 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
-Questions time-

Do they only outsource to Korea when they are against the schedule? Is something that a more normal schedule like One Piece has too?

I was looking here on animation guide and we had lot of competent studios back then.
While in Super, everytime Korea touches a episodes it looks trash. Why don't they find a more competent team?

Where we stand right now with Super, when it comes to studios working on Super? Toei Animation, Korea and Freelancers? Just 3 different groups helping out?!
I'm not sure how much Toei does it, but outsourcing an episode here and there to Korea is a completely normal thing in the industry.
A lot of this episode was done by Wanpack as well, not just MK Seoul. Outsourcing some episodes allows the main staff to focus on other episodes, not even Higashide was on this one.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:23 pm

ryou766 wrote:Beauty at its finest.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Oh yes.
Also, just curiously from a fellow Black fan, Base or Rosé?
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:26 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:- NEP Episode 61-

Holy shit, it looks out of this world. Shimanuki will finally have the chance to do a major battle now with better schedule. I expect the best from him.
Fingers crossed!
I dont understand, how can the NEP look better than Episode 54? I mean, Shimanuki didn't had ages to animate the next episode right?
kill me

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:32 pm

BakaManiaHD wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:- NEP Episode 61-

Fingers crossed!
I dont understand, how can the NEP look better than Episode 54? I mean, Shimanuki didn't had ages to animate the next episode right?
Better schedule and more important episode do be should have better animators working with him
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:48 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:A lot of this episode was done by Wanpack as well, not just MK Seoul.
You know, I keep forgetting about Wanpack's involvement. They're never credited by name for some reason. For actual confirmation of their involvement, I had a look at their shitty website, which actually provided a lot of interesting information.

It's cool that you can see how many cuts they did and what they provided in terms of staff. 24 cuts for episode 2, 26 for episode 12, 167 for episode 17, 33 for episode 23, 156 for episode 38, 188 for episode 44, and 120 for episode 51. Will have to wait for them to update for more details on the rest.

It notes that they provided supervisors for every aforementioned episode but #2. So I guess it's pretty clear that Yui Kinoshita and Tomoko Kusunoki are from Wanpack and not at all to do with Toei. I'd assumed that anyway, but Kinoshita's involvement in episode 2 had always had me doubting myself. Nice to have that cleared up.

Taiichiro Ohara and Yoko Iizuka aren't from Wanpack, and Tsutomu appears to be a freelancer with a relationship with Toei, so that's kinda weird. What a confusing episode. I guess the former two were brought on for nostalgia's sake, and the latter in an attempt to help the episode not look bad? I don't know.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:30 pm

It definitely seems like Toei wasn't putting much focus on this episode, which explains it mostly being done by two other studios, I assume because they are laser focused on this block of action episodes we're about to get.
Maybe Toei isn't comfortable with completely outsourcing episodes yet so that's why there were a few people not from Wanpack or MK Seoul. If Toei can just work out a deal to have Kinoshita Yui head Wanpack episodes herself (with Supervisors working under her when needed) then they wouldn't have to worry about it I think. Fingers crossed that when she finishes her work on JoJo part 4 she is brought on to Super in a heavier capacity.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:56 pm

Wise decision from Toei, I hope we can get the best fights in the next episode, also a Tate episode should be coming in like 3 or 4 episodes right? Maybe we have a lot of fight episodes coming but I don't want to get my hopes too high.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:30 pm

I'm glad to see Obara Tai'ichirou return, although if he did anything it sure as hell wasn't any of the action. I hope he'll be able to put out fight scenes just as good as he used to be able to do.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:00 pm

LonelyShadow wrote:Could someone please identify the ones responsible for these two shots?
Why? Do you want to arrest them?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shuby » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:27 am

LMAO whoever animated this is awesome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LKT_IcyT-s
If Black was the Main Character of Dragon Ball Super... (by FBurning Eutanasio Fuenteardiente)

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:31 am

Shuby wrote:LMAO whoever animated this is awesome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LKT_IcyT-s
If Black was the Main Character of Dragon Ball Super... (by FBurning Eutanasio Fuenteardiente)
That was... interesting. It also promotes my headcanon that Black and Zamasu are lovers. Just look at their cabin, that's no single man's god's cabin.
Retired.