Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kinisking
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by kinisking » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:11 pm

Boo saga Gohan>>> Teen Gohan.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:16 pm

kinisking wrote:Boo saga Gohan>>> Teen Gohan.
I agree. Well, I like him more before Old Kaioshin unlocks his potential. Either way, I still thought he was better than his kid self in the Cell arc.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:01 pm

I kinda like Josh Martin's Fat Boo voice.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:02 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
I agree. Well, I like him more before Old Kaioshin unlocks his potential. Either way, I still thought he was better than his kid self in the Cell arc.
I mean either way. We don't really see teen gohan outside of fighting but inside of fighting he's completely out of character all the way through. Boo saga Gohan would never give up that easily, he wouldn't stand by as everyone got destroyed, he wouldn't rant about how the fight is pointless. He's just so much better.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:17 pm

I like the Cell arc quite a bit.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:42 pm

I prefer Black being created from the Super Dragon Balls than him being Zamazu
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:22 am

The Patrolman wrote:I prefer Black being created from the Super Dragon Balls than him being Zamazu
I don't like either scenario. There are so many other, more efficient ways that Zamasu could have achieved his goal. This arc has been pretty fun to watch, but it doesn't hold up at all under scrutiny.
Retired.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:39 am

Now that I am watching Super, the new sound effects, for the most part, aren't nearly as disconnected from the original sound effects as I thought they would be. I just finished watching episode 7, and honestly, the sound effect that I feel is disconnected the most from the original is the sound from the Pilaf Gang's Dragon Radar. Aside from that, I find them decent, and the fact that they're brand new recordings that mostly sound similar to the old sound effects helps with the "modern feeling" that Super provides.

As for opinions that lean far more on the popular side, I think the Battle of Gods movie is far better than the Super arc, at the very least from what I've seen so far. Kaio's voice acting is horrendous, Goku seems more selfish than usual, and perhaps a little dumber. Chichi wants Goten to be as scholarly as his brother, apparently the news media has never seen Boo with Mr. Satan before (which I find extremely hard to believe), Vegeta's character development from the Boo saga is toned down significantly, Pilaf's gang doesn't recognize Bulma, nor do they confuse Goten for Goku. The Pilaf Gang's interactions with Trunks, Mai's in particular, don't appear, making their appearence superfluous to the plot. Beerus felt more alien in the movie compared to the anime, where he felt more like a traditional bad guy. I kind of preferred him as the dorky destroyer with the Blue and Orange Morality that he had in the movie compared to the darker, less humorous version that Super came up with. The bingo song gag is foreshadowed, but replaced with Vegeta making a meal for Beerus. While still embarrasing on his part, it was actually kind of awesome, unlike the bingo song which was far more embarrassing, and the awesomeness was far more subtle. Also, Beerus slapping Bulma was handled much better when it was an almost automatic reaction rather than him contemplating the movie like he did in the anime.

Still haven't seen the second half the the BOG arc nor have I read the manga adaption, so I don't know how they will turn out...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:21 am

kinisking wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:
I mean either way. We don't really see teen gohan outside of fighting but inside of fighting he's completely out of character all the way through. Boo saga Gohan would never give up that easily, he wouldn't stand by as everyone got destroyed, he wouldn't rant about how the fight is pointless. He's just so much better.
That's BECAUSE of the character development he went through as kid teen Gohan.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:23 am

That's BECAUSE of the character development he went through as kid teen Gohan.
What development lead to that moment?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:44 pm

kinisking wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:
Boo Saga Gohan never had his father basically throw him to the lions at chance he'd get angry and got his father killed then the prideful, arrogant Vegeta apologize to him.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:47 pm

At the start of the Buu saga we actually got to see Gohan be a character but that was all waved away and he became his boring self with free powerups then still messing things up.

Cell arc Gohan is definitely the worst. He's a shite character and good job he's all but officially retired now. Hopefully it becomes offical soon.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:04 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:At the start of the Buu saga we actually got to see Gohan be a character but that was all waved away and he became his boring self with free powerups then still messing things up.

Cell arc Gohan is definitely the worst. He's a shite character and good job he's all but officially retired now. Hopefully it becomes offical soon.
Every character has gotten free power ups and its not fair to ridicule him for messing up when literally every character does. Plot is plot.

Cell arc gohan just didn't make sense for his character. I agree with that.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:48 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Now that I am watching Super, the new sound effects, for the most part, aren't nearly as disconnected from the original sound effects as I thought they would be. I just finished watching episode 7, and honestly, the sound effect that I feel is disconnected the most from the original is the sound from the Pilaf Gang's Dragon Radar. Aside from that, I find them decent, and the fact that they're brand new recordings that mostly sound similar to the old sound effects helps with the "modern feeling" that Super provides.
Using another franchise as an example, a lot of the time the new sound effects come across like the difference between this (remix of the original) and this (remake).
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:52 am

I don't think Cell saga Gohan is a bad character, Toriyama just didn't develop him properly.
(Shit, I gotta find my old ass avatar with Gohan smoking a blunt, help wanted)
Also, an unpopular KANZENSHUU opinions, I like all the Gohans.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yalos » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:26 am

Vegeta is one of my most hated characters. He's an overated douchbag that caused lots of bad things because of his shitty pride. He is also one of the reasons I don't like DBZ's plot.

Also, I think DBZ is unwatchable due tons of fillers and I think Kai is far more better.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:11 am

This is how I see Gohan:
  • Saiyan Saga: Good for potential, bad for expecting him to be strong
    Namek Saga: Good for showing his potential and trying as hard as he can, bad for expecting him to be super-strong
    Androids Saga: Good for appearance, bad for personality (generally OOC)
    Majin Saga: Good for personality, bad for discussion ( :P )
This is all my opinion, of course; that's how I personally see him.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:40 am

I don't mind Nozawa as Bardock. I love her in the role.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:39 am

I don't mind Sean Schemmel's Goku Black that much. I would still prefer another voice, but it's fine on its own.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:25 pm

ABED wrote:
I did not realize that Vegeta was established to be a idiot? Sure he came across as cocky at times earlier in the series but this is also the same guy who basically played his cards nearly perfectly in the Namek arc. The only time he really let anybody transform as far as i remember was Freeza but that is only because he was going to do it anyway so why waste anymore time. The situation with Cell is quite the opposite maybe i could of bought it if Trunks, Kuririn or 18 herself did not have countless chances to Prevent Cell from reaching his ultimate form. It really did not seem like Cell had much of anything other than pure luck and he was lucky mostly because for some reason the main characters in this arc more so than in any other arc of Dragon ball make incredibly dumb decisions. Really has Vegeta done a single useful thing in the entire arc other than kill cyborg 19!?
He wasn't an idiot, he was just reckless and it's perfectly in character. The Freeza situation you bring up is a difference without a distinction. He egged Freeza on because he is arrogant. The difference in the situations is that on Namek, he knew he wasn't remotely the strongest so he had to be stealthy and sneaky. Against Cell, Vegeta was in charge, but when things got boring, he allowed Cell to transform. What you don't seem to understand is that the characters are acting in character. They aren't acting dumb or out of character purely to facilitate the story. Vegeta and Goku would and have let people go in order to get a better fight. Cell wasn't lucky, he was smart. He took advantage of situations and knew what buttons to push in Vegeta in order to achieve his goal. If you are going to dismiss the established characterizations for Goku and Vegeta, then yes, Cell just looks lucky.

The problem with this is that Vegeta already got overconfident in the arc when he faced 18 This was perfectly in character he quickly paid the price for a mistake that he made of underestimating his opponent and overestimating himself . However once he faces Cell he actually makes the exact same mistake, this makes him seem like he learned nothing form his past actions and it makes it feel like Vegeta lost any character development he might have gotten in between his fight between 18 and Cell. It only makes him look dumb and this felt forced because it already happened once in the exact same arc a couple of chapters ago no less. There could have been literally thousands of other ways and better to make Cell perfect. I mean it seems so redundant to use the exact same plot device again.