Episode #0075 (29 April 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:54 pm

Yeah. I think it was the money from the treasure he stole was running low.

Hironobu Timex

Post by Hironobu Timex » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:41 pm

Hi, I'm back. These podcasts are pretty cool.

I'm from whatever that generation is when DBZ was in syndication. From there I followed it to Toonami. It was really frustrating finding out Goku was a super Saiyan and then going all the way back to Raditz.

When the new tapes came I saw that numberless, uncut only episode "Gohan Attacks". Then I went online and read up on all those earlier censored episodes through VegettoEX's Homepage, DBZ Uncensored, Planet Namek, and that Vegeta site Castor Troy did.

I got some fansubs of the Cell saga when Gohan went SSJ2 and the very end when Goku destroys Buu and meets Uub; plus movies 8, 11, 12, and 13. I also got some of those early DVDs with the Japanese audio, but abandoned everything anime in late 2002.

The orange brick DVD is what got me looking at Dragon Ball and this site again. I enjoyed seeing the show again with the original Japanese audio, and even the dub is actually a lot easier to watch then from what I remember.

Summoner Julia

Post by Summoner Julia » Tue May 01, 2007 5:21 pm

I guess I class as fifth generation, getting into Dragonball Z on Toonami during the Freeza arc. I guess it might be a little different seeing as I'm in the UK, but I'm pretty sure that's where I fit into fandom.

I don't really agree with people still deliberately mispronouncing Naruto's name, but to some extent I can see some of the reasons. For one thing, a lot of people by the time the anime came out might be so used to saying Nar-ROO-to that its hard to change. I personally was very easily influenced on this matter, and quickly changed the vast majority of my pronunciations moving from the manga to the anime (I do not want to get into how badly I butchered their names). I'd actually say I was more stubborn with Final Fantasy name pronunciations, having convinced myself that the way I was saying things was correct (for example, I still say Aeris even though I know the correct name is Aerith, and I had a lot of trouble pronuncing Yuffie as You-fie). I know its not exactly the same thing, but I guess some people are just stubborn about this stuff.

As for Dragonball, obviously I originally went with the Funimation/Ocean /pronunciations, and now my vocabulary is a bizarre mix of sub and dub. Unlike Dragonball, with Naruto people can't say they're using the American terms, because the Amerian version says NA-ruto, so its really more a case of "That's how I think it should be pronouced." I guess a lot of it has to do with how easily influenced people are on these things.
Chala Head Chala!

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sat May 05, 2007 2:39 am

I got into the series again through the video games, but I'd mostly classify myself as somewhere between fifth and sixth generation (I've been a fan for about the last 2-3 years).

But yeah, I agree. Internet time seems way longer than real time (Somebody oughta invent some sort of time system?)

Great podcast guys. Keep it coming!