Episode #0077 (13 May 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GokuSoul
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuSoul » Tue May 15, 2007 7:26 pm

Nice podcast. I think that Goku was kinda there and kinda not there. I think it is like that time when Gohan fired the Kamehameha at Cell and Goku was behind him but he wasn't really there! :idea:

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue May 15, 2007 7:29 pm

I just sent you a PM, EX.

And nice first impression of Jeff on the forums. Though from how you said you didn't really like being associated with your online name, I would have thought you'd have done what Meri did and just used your real name.
Lavender Saiyan wrote:But Goku almost appears to be a hologram yet with physical abilities.
This made me think that if Shenron did grant the wish by reading Goku's mind, he probably was aware that he'd end up breaking his rule about not granting the same wish multiple times, so he made what was essentially a hologram of Goku to encourage Gohan and Goten into giving that final kamehameha their all. From what I remember, Gohan and Goten already unleashed their blasts at Broly, so you couldn't tell if the kamehameha Goku unleashes is real and made actual contact with Broly or not. But what about the whole "sensing another's Ki" deal? You could say that Gohan and Goten were too busy trying to ward off Broly and that they trusted their dad so much that they didn't bother sensing his ki to tell if he was the real deal or not.

...I guess trying to make sense from the movies can be fun occassionally :P.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Tue May 15, 2007 8:56 pm

Lavender Saiyan wrote:
tinlunlau wrote:at least, from my experience of meeting Chris Sabat in person, i notice he tends to call himself "Chris (Sa-BAAT)". so that's one question answered there.
Is the way you listed it, the way EX pronounced it? Because if you look on the "Legacy of Goku 2: Behind The Game" on the Movie 8 DVD. He calls himself "Sa-bat". But "a" sounds are as in the word "Bat" or "Rat"
No it's not.
It doesn't rhyme with "rabbit".
The world is your's.

Magic Saiya-jin

Post by Magic Saiya-jin » Tue May 15, 2007 9:51 pm

tinlunlau wrote:
Lavender Saiyan wrote:
tinlunlau wrote:at least, from my experience of meeting Chris Sabat in person, i notice he tends to call himself "Chris (Sa-BAAT)". so that's one question answered there.
Is the way you listed it, the way EX pronounced it? Because if you look on the "Legacy of Goku 2: Behind The Game" on the Movie 8 DVD. He calls himself "Sa-bat". But "a" sounds are as in the word "Bat" or "Rat"
No it's not.
No it rhymes with Rabbat

PROOF: http://youtube.com/watch?v=04idCifypro& ... ed&search=

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Tue May 15, 2007 11:28 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:I just sent you a PM, EX.

And nice first impression of Jeff on the forums. Though from how you said you didn't really like being associated with your online name, I would have thought you'd have done what Meri did and just used your real name.
Lavender Saiyan wrote:But Goku almost appears to be a hologram yet with physical abilities.
This made me think that if Shenron did grant the wish by reading Goku's mind, he probably was aware that he'd end up breaking his rule about not granting the same wish multiple times, so he made what was essentially a hologram of Goku to encourage Gohan and Goten into giving that final kamehameha their all. From what I remember, Gohan and Goten already unleashed their blasts at Broly, so you couldn't tell if the kamehameha Goku unleashes is real and made actual contact with Broly or not. But what about the whole "sensing another's Ki" deal? You could say that Gohan and Goten were too busy trying to ward off Broly and that they trusted their dad so much that they didn't bother sensing his ki to tell if he was the real deal or not.

...I guess trying to make sense from the movies can be fun occassionally :P.
That's a rough call to make there. I may take some heat for this one, but I don't feel that a FPSSJ can match Broly's power during that time. Thus, I also don't feel that Gohan and Goten alone would have been enough.
No it's not.
Well that's how be pronounced it.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

tarrin4ever

Post by tarrin4ever » Wed May 16, 2007 3:08 am

I would have been positive that Goku was only there in spirit (a-la Cell finale), if not for the fact that Broly saw him as well.

I guess I'd have to say the balls brought him back for that one moment, then sent him away again. Whether or not the dragon showed up or not, a wish was made, and the balls scattered again.

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Wed May 16, 2007 10:56 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Brakus wrote:Irony: Mike's rant about other "experts" mispronouncing things like "Naruto", "Utena", and "Naoko", and yet he still mispronounces Chris Sabat's last name. If I didn't already know that Mike was a DBZ guru, knowledgeable about all things Dragonball, *I* would have immediately turned off the podcast right there and then.
And I would be OK with that. You're not my target audience, and my target audience *also* has no idea how to pronounce his name. I've literally heard him pronounce his name himself no less than three different ways. So yeah. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong... and so is he.
I sometimes commend people who can actually pronounce my last name correctly. Some people may mispronounce it at first glance and such, but if they come into contact with me more regularly, I'd expect them to know what my last name is and how to say it. :) It's a nitpicky thing, but there are friends of mine I've known for a long time and they still mispronounce my last name at times. I deal with it.
I'm finding it oddly interesting that certain people consistently don't care for episodes that deal *directly* with something *directly* in the show itself. It's always the same couple of people each time.
Well, after all, it is a 20-plus-year-old show, and it's not like the show's creators and staff are going to get offended if we discuss things that should have happened in DBZ but didn't, or things that we thought were good/bad decisions in the show. It's not like Toriyama is going to listen to this and then re-do the entire series because of our opinions about DB/Z/GT.
For those of you that feel this way... what would you rather hear about? I notice that when we talk about fandom-related things, or merchandise, etc., you have vastly different feelings. Do you just not care about the actual show, itself, and are more intrigued by everything that surrounds it?
I will go into this in more detail in a PM, but everyone who listens to this podcast is a part of anime fandom, and that always makes for lively discussions. It's something everybody can relate to even if they're not as familiar with DB/Z/GT as you are.
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Wed May 16, 2007 11:02 am

tarrin4ever wrote:I would have been positive that Goku was only there in spirit (a-la Cell finale), if not for the fact that Broly saw him as well.
Think about it this way -- in the We Gotta Power OP, Goku -- complete with halo -- is hugging Gohan (as Great Saiyaman) at the end. In the Dragon World, Goku's there in spirit in the We Gotta Power OP, so it makes perfect sense that he's there in spirit at the end of Movie 10.
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

mysteriousdbzgt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mysteriousdbzgt » Thu May 17, 2007 1:57 pm

Great podcast. That scene has never bothered me as much as it does now, that i think about it. I just think it was like the fight against cell when he appeared but he just doesn't have a halo this time. Shenron had nothing to do with it as my theory. The dragonballs just wanted to glow and turn the sky dark. :?
Last edited by mysteriousdbzgt on Fri May 18, 2007 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just another Dragon Ball fangirl in the world.

DB & Tiger and Bunny are my main fandoms, along with many other animes.

Deviantart Profile/ Tiger & Bunnyftw tumblr/ mysteriousdbzgt tumblr / My Anime List Profile

DaftBrian

LOL

Post by DaftBrian » Thu May 17, 2007 8:48 pm

there is only one correct answer

The Dragon is only as powerful as its creator

Kami is the creator

However at this point, dende is the new creator

and in namek rules: you can wish back a person multi times.

WIN!

OR like in cell saga, its a metaphore....but Broli did see goku and got mad...
"Every time you cry, I laugh a little more"

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Sat May 19, 2007 6:20 pm

I think that Shenlong (or is it Shenlong? I mean, The Dragon's died and got re-created so many times...) summoned Goku to come back for a short ammount of time to save the Earth.

Either that, or King Yemma summoned Goku like he summoned Vegeta in the Buu Saga (which I haven't heard brought up yet, so I feel so proud of myself xD).

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat May 19, 2007 6:42 pm

It's always been my interpretation that Shenron was answering Goten's wish to help defeat Broly. Since Shenron can't take out people stronger than himself, he created the illusion of Goku in order to inspire Gohan and Goten.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Re: LOL

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun May 20, 2007 11:41 am

DaftBrian wrote:there is only one correct answer

The Dragon is only as powerful as its creator

Kami is the creator

However at this point, dende is the new creator
I don't understand that part really, if Shen Long can bring people to life then couldn't Kami do that too? Or is it equal to another power Kami has that he used as colateral for the Dragon to grant wishes that bring people back to life only once?

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Wed May 30, 2007 11:12 pm

Just in case anyone wanted to know:

"Retailers now also list a CD entitled "Lucky ☆ Star Outro Theme Drama" (title subject to change) which will probably feature full length versions of the ending karaokes."

So, the full version of Head Cha La performed by Aya Hirano will probably be released on CD. Cool?