Does a Lack of Regional Dubs Bother You?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Does a Lack of Regional Dubs Bother You?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:53 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Actually, the X-Men and SIlver Surfer shows had Canadian voice actors, although there were a few Americans in those casts.
Tara Strong was in it (Canadian at the time), & also Richard Epcar who worked with Saban on PR/dubbing projects, was in it as well IIRC. Pretty cool actually.
I think the better term is a Toronto-based voice actress at the time rather than what you said when it comes to Strong being in the cast. Maurice LaMarche is a Canadian who works in LA, but being a LA-based voice actor doesn't make him cease to be Canadian.
As for Epcar being on the show, here's a fun fact: Gladiator was originally voiced by someone else, but apparently one of the producers of the show wanted Epcar to fill in for the role. Epcar recorded his dialogue in a LA studio.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:34 pm

Its kind of ironic that Canadian voice actors ARE the ones making dubs for American cartoons most of the time. So this is already foreign voices.

As for FUNI, weren't most of the voice actors from Texas originally? I know Sean Schemmel moved to California over the years.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:01 pm

precita wrote:Its kind of ironic that Canadian voice actors ARE the ones making dubs for American cartoons most of the time. So this is already foreign voices.

As for FUNI, weren't most of the voice actors from Texas originally? I know Sean Schemmel moved to California over the years.
They don't do dubs for American cartoons. That's called pre-lay. They do dubs for Japanese anime, and they use a process called ADR.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:17 pm

A Quebecois dub could've been a way to get the Ocean/Blue Water dubs on DVDs. :cry:
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:09 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:A Quebecois dub could've been a way to get the Ocean/Blue Water dubs on DVDs. :cry:
If that was the case, AB Groupe would have had nothing to do with the dubbing process, meaning they wouldn't have contacted Ocean/Blue Water to continue their dubbing, meaning the Quobecian dub would most likely have been based from the Funi dub, meaning there wouldn't have been any Ocean dubs after Funi went in-house.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:11 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:A Quebecois dub could've been a way to get the Ocean/Blue Water dubs on DVDs. :cry:
I don't see how that could have worked.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:19 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I was about to mention that Spain and Latin America do have different dubs... but on closer inspection, even Spain itself has dubs for its various different language regions!
And not only them, but Brazil and Portugal have different portuguese dubs too.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:19 pm

I really don't what the point would be. I mean, the accents of the characters are a factor in my enjoyment for any dub but the performance of the voice actor themselves is what truly matters and how it fit the character their respresenting. I mean, hearing Beerus speak like a Londoner would kind of be jarring. But to be brutally honest, I don't think I would interested in hearing Goku or Vegeta with a cockney accent in any kind of scenerio, guvnor. :P

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:27 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
I don't see how that could have worked.
AB Groupe's French dub saw a partial Canadian VHS release in the 90s. Living in an alternate reality where a Quebecois dub was recorded, it would hopefully share the same materials as Ocean's English dub. The Canadian dub would encourage significant reruns on local TV, which would result in a local DVD release that just so happens to have English as an alternate audio track. Like I said, alternate reality. :lol:
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:14 am

And like I said, the AB Groupe is the main reason Ocean still dubbed DBZ after Funi went in-house. More likely Funi would have added a French audio track to their Singles (and in turn the Orange Bricks etc).

What would this hypothetical scenario where Quobec had their own dub look like anyway? AB Groupe completed their dub of Original DB long before Funi even touched episode 14, so i'm sure that would air at least. Would it be the Funi dub with terms AB Groupe set up pre-Z? (Basically Crystal Balls instead of Dragon Balls, but Saiyans instead of Space Warriors)
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:07 am

Here in Australia, I grew up watching American and Canadian media as well as British film and television i.e Harry Potter, so different accents are something that I don't have to get used to. If an Australian dub was made I'd only watch it out of curiosity just to see what kind of voices they gave the characters, or to just laugh at it.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:32 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
precita wrote:Well we have several UK members on these forums. What do they think, then?
Nitro and AttitudeFan (who I think is Canadian, but whatever) have both remarked on a desire for a non-American English dub.
Well, not quite. All I said on the matter was that certain Funimation actors had noticeable southern American accents (since they're based in Texas) which I personally find inappropriate for a show based in asian culture. It basically creates a jarring culture clash for me and takes me out of the show. I would much rather hear south American accents in anime such as Trigun that are heavily western based or at the very least, limit that type of accent to a character that would realistically have a southern accent (based on their background or personality).

That's not to say I have a problem with American accents in anime altogether, I'm actually used to them at this point as it's been the default way of viewing English anime all throughout my life. I would only tolerate British accents in anime dubs if the setting was fantasy or medieval themed or, if a character happened to be British or very regal in nature.

American actors from LA, New York and Vancouver all have very neutral accents which are very palatable to a worldwide audience. I've never had a problem with the North American accents in the Ocean dub or, more recently, the Bang Zoom Super dub as, to me, those type of accents are the default for the media I consume. I have no problem keeping it that way.
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, guys, but in Nitro & AttitudeFan's case, it was more about the Ocean dub, specifically, from the perspective of Kelamis & the Pioneer dub being more accurate than FUNi's, & for Nitro, more on childhood nostalgia.
Not sure how I feel about my opinion being dismissed as childhood nostalgia. If you're unsure about my stance on things, it's better to ask than assume.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:39 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I really don't what the point would be. I mean, the accents of the characters are a factor in my enjoyment for any dub but the performance of the voice actor themselves is what truly matters and how it fit the character their respresenting. I mean, hearing Beerus speak like a Londoner would kind of be jarring. But to be brutally honest, I don't think I would interested in hearing Goku or Vegeta with a cockney accent in any kind of scenerio, guvnor. :P
It'd be hilarious in my opinion if Goku and Vegeta had cockney accents.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:39 pm

ringworm128 wrote:If an Australian dub was made I'd only watch it out of curiosity just to see what kind of voices they gave the characters, or to just laugh at it.
Lord Beerus wrote:I mean, hearing Beerus speak like a Londoner would kind of be jarring.
8000 Saiyan wrote:It'd be hilarious in my opinion if Goku and Vegeta had cockney accents.
This might be due to mine being an outsider's perspective, but isn't all of this really dependent on what you're used to? From my point of view, once we suspend our disbelief enough to watch a dub, it all comes down on what society has set as the standard. To me, hearing a Japanese character dubbed with an American accent isn't necessarily more fitting than another dialect of English.

I mean, some of you have laughed at the idea of an Australian or British Dragon Ball, but imagine if the US, the UK and Australia had been treated as different regions regarding dubbing of foreign material from the very beginning, and anime dubs had always been done in at least those three versions. Wouldn't it be logical for you to hear the DB cast with those particular accents?

I find it curious that British TV series set in older eras of history, or even in countries whose language isn't English, use different modern-day British accents to convey differences in the way characters talk. Following that mentality, if the BBC had dubbed Dragon Ball, we could have actually had a DB character with a Cockney accent :lol:
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:54 pm

There is another possibility. The Fuck-a-licious filled dubs from Manga UK that had British people dub Japanese characters filled with FUCK AND PISS dialogue. With that I mean they say FUCK DAMN FUCKING FUCKERS every five seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:29 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:There is another possibility. The Fuck-a-licious filled dubs from Manga UK that had British people dub Japanese characters filled with FUCK AND PISS dialogue. With that I mean they say FUCK DAMN FUCKING FUCKERS every five seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU
The British love to swear, I see.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:49 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
precita wrote:Its kind of ironic that Canadian voice actors ARE the ones making dubs for American cartoons most of the time. So this is already foreign voices.

They don't do dubs for American cartoons. That's called pre-lay. They do dubs for Japanese anime, and they use a process called ADR.
Many cartoons were recorded in Canada, both in Toronto (Saban/90s XMen), & Vancouver (XMen Evolution, at Ocean actually, Ed Edd & Eddy, Transformers Beast Wars, many Japanese video game cartoons), in the 1990s/early 2k's, when the US/CAN exchange rate made it cheaper to use Canada, & especially for cheaper cartoons. & I wouldnt say "foreign voices", in that it's actors from a language-shared region, that specialize in & are performing in said shared language. The words used are largely the same. This isnt, say, a Spanish show from a whole different language.

Anyway, I wish the divide between LA & various other recording areas (including & especially Vancouver, the best non-LA talent pool), wasnt so much there. The heavy majority of cartoons are LA-only, when there should be more of an effort to reach out, especially when Vancouver & even places like NY & Texas, have pretty damn good talent pools. I wish anime/J-game dubs did this moreso as well. Like, imagine Okratron 5000 & Cup of Tea co-dubbing the next Fire Emblem, or smaller parts of Breath of the Wild (which sounds more like Britain, but still), or Attack on Titan Season2 between NYAV & FUNi.

Finally...there are a few American cartoons that used ADR, mainly anime like Animatrix, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, & Afro Samurai, & one French-Canadian production - Totally Spies, recorded in French originally with an English dub. To my knowledge, there are no American video games that do this, although I read somewhere that MGS1 was animated first (to the Japanese script), & then dubbed over by the VAs, like most anime. TheBlackPaladin pointed out that a lot of video games get alternate lip-sync dubs, where each dub gets its own lipsync, FF7 Crisis Core as an example. FF13 (& 15) got this treatment as well, as did Catherine.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:41 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:

Many cartoons were recorded in Canada, both in Toronto (Saban/90s XMen), & Vancouver (XMen Evolution, at Ocean actually, Ed Edd & Eddy, Transformers Beast Wars, many Japanese video game cartoons), in the 1990s/early 2k's, when the US/CAN exchange rate made it cheaper to use Canada, & especially for cheaper cartoons. & I wouldnt say "foreign voices", in that it's actors from a language-shared region, that specialize in & are performing in said shared language. The words used are largely the same. This isnt, say, a Spanish show from a whole different language.

Anyway, I wish the divide between LA & various other recording areas (including & especially Vancouver, the best non-LA talent pool), wasnt so much there. The heavy majority of cartoons are LA-only, when there should be more of an effort to reach out, especially when Vancouver & even places like NY & Texas, have pretty damn good talent pools. I wish anime/J-game dubs did this moreso as well. Like, imagine Okratron 5000 & Cup of Tea co-dubbing the next Fire Emblem, or smaller parts of Breath of the Wild (which sounds more like Britain, but still), or Attack on Titan Season2 between NYAV & FUNi.

Finally...there are a few American cartoons that used ADR, mainly anime like Animatrix, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, & Afro Samurai, & one French-Canadian production - Totally Spies, recorded in French originally with an English dub. To my knowledge, there are no American video games that do this, although I read somewhere that MGS1 was animated first (to the Japanese script), & then dubbed over by the VAs, like most anime. TheBlackPaladin pointed out that a lot of video games get alternate lip-sync dubs, where each dub gets its own lipsync, FF7 Crisis Core as an example. FF13 (& 15) got this treatment as well, as did Catherine.
Well, I already knew about Canada recording all of those cartoons.

I don't there's much of a chance of an American cartoon being recorded by Texas. Funimation only does anime.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:55 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Well, I already knew about Canada recording all of those cartoons. I don't there's much of a chance of an American cartoon being recorded by Texas. Funimation only does anime.
I know you know. I was talking more to the other guy in that instance. As for recording cartoons in Texas...FUNi is a licensing company with cheap post-production work, sure, but there are a decent number of major video game companies recording in Texas. Retro Studios & Gearbox are in Texas, Colleen Clinkenbeard & Christopher Sabat have been in their stuff, & non-Telltale Borderlands is chock-full of FUNi/ADV/Sentai VAs. & Rooster Teeth, while not major-league network producers, still record cartoons in Texas, with many of the FUNi guys in their stuff. Heck, Rooster Teeth even got Yuri Lowenthal, who even FUNimation doesnt get, lol. (Also their non-union fan production got a JP dub by WB JP, with A-listers, not sure what to think of that actually).

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:26 pm

American accents have usually been the standard for English dubbed anime, because of the larger home video market in the US. That's why the old Manga UK dubs rarely used regional accents.