LGBT Dragon Ball Fanbase Experiences and Talk

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: LGBT Dragon Ball Fanbase

Post by Basaku » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:05 am

DB didn't make me discover anything, I already knew, but obviously all the muscules in the series had an appeal :wink:

I was crushing on Vegeta hard Image

Big Green The Yoshi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Green The Yoshi » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:34 am

If you want to join a liberal DBZ forum, go to DBZF... LOL.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:36 am

Meh. I dont want to go to a liberal place. That's also another reason, I dont want to go to Tumblr or a tumblr like place those suck.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

gipset

Post by gipset » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:47 am

I'm straight but my oblivious-ass had no idea how much women and LGBT like DB for the hunks until recently

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:10 am

Dont worry,until recently I didnt really bought that people watched stuff for that sort of reason. Welcome!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:32 am

Basaku wrote: I was crushing on Vegeta hard Image
No crushes on Piccolo?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ecrockedboston
Beyond Newbie

Post by ecrockedboston » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:34 am

Kanassa wrote:
No crushes on Piccolo?
I'm straight, but I dreamed of replacing Gohan in having a trainer/mentor relationship with Piccolo when I was a kid, for what ever that's worth. :mrgreen:
One who consciously devises memes, through meme-splicing and memetic synthesis, with the intent of altering the behavior of others. Writers of manifestos and of commercials are typical memetic engineers.
-Memetic Lexicon

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:41 am

I guess this means that Yamcha played a special role in the original Dragon Ball, since he's the only attractive male protagonist for the first 80 episodes. :P (Krillin can definitely be considered attractive when he grows up, but as a 13 year old, ah...) Then comes Tenshinhan in the 22nd Budokai, and by the time of the 23rd there's no shortage of good-looking guys with Piccolo and Adult Goku joining the fray.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:43 am

Gotta say I don't really see a purpose for this thread either. It reads like a chatroom, which is, well, something Kanzenshuu is against.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:33 am

Kanassa wrote:
No crushes on Piccolo?
Does he have a tail and enjoys getting naked during monoglues to Goku about Saiyan history? No! 8)

ecrockedboston
Beyond Newbie

Post by ecrockedboston » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:07 pm

Here's a question... I've seen in other threads where people express the desire to add gay characters and relationships to the Dragon Ball franchise. What do you think that could add? Dragon Ball has never focused very much on romance, and where it does, it's always been pretty shallow. The way I see it, if DB were to start adding homosexuals, it would appear shoehorned at best, and patronizing at worst. Personally, I don't care to see sexuality addressed, hetero or otherwise.
One who consciously devises memes, through meme-splicing and memetic synthesis, with the intent of altering the behavior of others. Writers of manifestos and of commercials are typical memetic engineers.
-Memetic Lexicon

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:21 pm

ecrockedboston wrote:Here's a question... I've seen in other threads where people express the desire to add gay characters and relationships to the Dragon Ball franchise. What do you think that could add? Dragon Ball has never focused very much on romance, and where it does, it's always been pretty shallow. The way I see it, if DB were to start adding homosexuals, it would appear shoehorned at best, and patronizing at worst. Personally, I don't care to see sexuality addressed, hetero or otherwise.
But heterosexual relationships, desires, and urges ARE addressed in Dragon Ball, all the time: Goku and Chichi, Blooma and Yamucha, Blooma and Vegeta, Lunch and Tenshinhan, Gohan and Videl, Oolong and Kame'Sennin with anything with a vagina. Yes, it's shallow, but it's ever-present, often crucial to the plot, and yet they certainly don't seem shoehorned in. After all, the entire story of Dragon Ball is set in motion by a teenage girl's heterosexual desires.

I freely admit I'm no fan of tokenism, and sometimes it's all too easy for an inclusion of an under-represented group to feel that way instead of the organic outgrowth it needs to be in order to be successful. But it's hard for me to accept an argument against homosexual relationships with the justification that Dragon Ball doesn't need any sexuality at all. Because it's there. And using that reasoning often belies the true reason for hesitation: that they perceive heterosexual relationships as the norm and all else as a jarring deviation at best. It's an unconscious bias that allows people to look at a smorgasbord of heterosexuality examples and not even notice them but perceive any incursion of other sexualities as something that is jarring and can't be ignored.

Unless, of course, I'm misreading your statement, and you are expressing a wish that Dragon Ball literally hadn't addressed sexuality at all, including all of the heterosexual examples it has included over the years.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:44 pm

Honestly, if they revealed Ten and Chaozu to harbor mutual romantic feelings, it wouldn't come across as random or forced to me.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:49 pm

Zephyr wrote:Honestly, if they revealed Ten and Chaozu to harbor mutual romantic feelings, it wouldn't come across as random or forced to me.
Chaozu, yes. I've always interpreted Tenshinhan as asexual, just extremely attached to Chaozu.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:51 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
ecrockedboston wrote:Here's a question... I've seen in other threads where people express the desire to add gay characters and relationships to the Dragon Ball franchise. What do you think that could add? Dragon Ball has never focused very much on romance, and where it does, it's always been pretty shallow. The way I see it, if DB were to start adding homosexuals, it would appear shoehorned at best, and patronizing at worst. Personally, I don't care to see sexuality addressed, hetero or otherwise.
But heterosexual relationships, desires, and urges ARE addressed in Dragon Ball, all the time: Goku and Chichi, Blooma and Yamucha, Blooma and Vegeta, Lunch and Tenshinhan, Gohan and Videl, Oolong and Kame'Sennin with anything with a vagina. Yes, it's shallow, but it's ever-present, and yet they certainly don't seem shoehorned in. I freely admit I'm no fan of tokenism, and sometimes it's all too easy for an inclusion of an under-represented group to feel that way instead of the organic outgrowth it needs to be in order to be successful. But it's hard for me to accept an argument against homosexual relationships with the justification that Dragon Ball doesn't need any sexuality at all. Because it's there.
I agree with your general statement, although perhaps what some people feel (& unfortunately, I feel they're right) is that homosexual relationships are much more of an outlier & that the audience wouldn't have found it funny as easily as they would a "straight" relationship. Although I do think that an author like Toriyama might be interested in such a thing. It is definitely a bit disappointing that there aren't more of them, especially thrown around as casually as DB relationships tend to be. As for tokenism...speaking as someone from Muslim background (non-religious, although I generally try to be empathetic & respectful of what people believe)...it rather bugs me when people gloss over things like headscarves, which are so patriarchal, & praise Muslims despite us having so many faults. I get that people want to highlight the good things & be invitational/welcoming - that's the only way we'll learn to evolve & integrate with others, as we so woefully have been lacking in doing - I really do...but I can't help but be bugged with white feminist women wearing headscarves - again, I appreciate the sentiment, but I really like several talking points are going way over their head. Trump & his supporters are promoting xenophobia, sure, but that doesn't mean that "everyone else" is correct solely because of that.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:32 pm

I'm straight, but I'm supportive of anyone here who's gay, trans, bi, or whatever else. Also, I'm always willing to support people who bring up controversial topics involving social issues and Dragon Ball's flaws in that regard.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:19 pm

Doctor. wrote:Gotta say I don't really see a purpose for this thread either. It reads like a chatroom, which is, well, something Kanzenshuu is against.
I know that this is off topic but, huh? Is Kanzenshuu against chatroom's? I never knew that fact, could you please explain why, or how this happened

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:24 pm

Gog wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Gotta say I don't really see a purpose for this thread either. It reads like a chatroom, which is, well, something Kanzenshuu is against.
I know that this is off topic but, huh? Is Kanzenshuu against chatroom's? I never knew that fact, could you please explain why, or how this happened
That's just how it is. A forum and a chatroom are two different things.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:21 pm

Gog wrote:
Rule #3 wrote:This is a Dragon Ball-exclusive community. Unless there is a direct comparison, correlation, or influence being discussed with regard to other franchises, we ask that all conversations and contributions be about and solely about Dragon Ball. All contributions should be polite, accepting, and written properly. Excessive (particularly one-line-quote-and-response) back-and-forths are frowned upon, as are multiple posts in a row by the same user. Please think about your contributions before making them; a simple “Yes” or “I agree”, while having a perfectly fine sentiment behind them, do not actually add anything substantial to the on-going conversations. Just like a single word is not an appropriate response, an image in and of itself is not an appropriate response. No matter what the subject matter, we simply ask that our members bring as much substance to the conversation as possible in as well-written a way as possible. All written and visual content should, as a general rule, be kept as “safe for work” as possible.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:32 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:But heterosexual relationships, desires, and urges ARE addressed in Dragon Ball, all the time: Goku and Chichi, Blooma and Yamucha, Blooma and Vegeta, Lunch and Tenshinhan, Gohan and Videl, Oolong and Kame'Sennin with anything with a vagina. Yes, it's shallow, but it's ever-present, often crucial to the plot, and yet they certainly don't seem shoehorned in. After all, the entire story of Dragon Ball is set in motion by a teenage girl's heterosexual desires.

I freely admit I'm no fan of tokenism, and sometimes it's all too easy for an inclusion of an under-represented group to feel that way instead of the organic outgrowth it needs to be in order to be successful. But it's hard for me to accept an argument against homosexual relationships with the justification that Dragon Ball doesn't need any sexuality at all. Because it's there. And using that reasoning often belies the true reason for hesitation: that they perceive heterosexual relationships as the norm and all else as a jarring deviation at best. It's an unconscious bias that allows people to look at a smorgasbord of heterosexuality examples and not even notice them but perceive any incursion of other sexualities as something that is jarring and can't be ignored.

Unless, of course, I'm misreading your statement, and you are expressing a wish that Dragon Ball literally hadn't addressed sexuality at all, including all of the heterosexual examples it has included over the years.
I'm going to second Gaffer Tape on this. We may not delve far into any of them, but heterosexual relationships are very much present in the series.

I think there's a bit of a false equivalence that goes around when people discuss the difficulties of adding gay characters to popular fiction. There's an odd assumption that to do so, you'd have to delve into the romantic or sexual side of their relationships in a way that has never been true for the portrayal of straight couples.

Which is to say, Dragon Ball could absolutely have some coupled gay characters. Their relationship wouldn't need to be any more foregrounded than Bulma and Vegeta's, Videl or Gohan's, Kuririn or 18's, etc. Hell, a male fighter in the upcoming multiversal tournament could simply walk back to his boyfriend in the stands.

Whether that light a depiction gets into tokenism or would simply be an equivalent representation and a natural one to include given the expansive size of the cast is another matter, and really one that comes down to execution.

This is veering back into the territory covered by the recent "Queerness in DB" thread. I don't want to take it back onto that track, but I did want to throw some support behind this post.