Favorite Non-FUNi English Voices?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bianju

Re: Favorite Non-FUNi English Voices?

Post by Bianju » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:38 pm

Nightmare Wheel wrote:There are a few Blue Water voices that I thought were really strong in their dub of OG Dragon Ball, which is much better than their GT dub. Zoe Slusar as Goku, Leda Davies as Bulma, Mike Shepherd as Kami, Dave Pettitt as Popo and Dean Galloway as Pilaf are some of my favorites.
Hmm... Mind if I say that Goku's actually one of my least favorite parts of the Blue Water version? Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome that it's the first (good) English production to call him by his full name, but... Zoe Slusar sounds really uninterested. I like the sound of the voice (a legitimate predecessor to either Morrow or Yurk's Adult Goku) but the delivery kind of kills it for me. Davies' Bulma is pretty nice, as are the others you mentioned. Yajirobe also gets a mention from me because the whole surfer thing really works for him.

I wonder, is there a particular voice that you feel NOBODY has truly mastered yet?

Because for me, it's Chi-Chi. Every voice out there is either too old, too warm, or too crazy. It might be partially because of my adoration of Mayumi Sho's version, but I haven't found one voice that can properly portray all sides of the character. Cynthia Cranz is a great yeller, but she doesn't have the warmth. And her two (or three, with Blue Water) Ocean Group actors just are TOO motherly.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:01 am

Bianju wrote:I wonder, is there a particular voice that you feel NOBODY has truly mastered yet?
For me, that would be Android 18. I've never heard a version of her that I approve of, not even in the Funi or jp casts. Kaio was another one until just recently, I didn't like Yanami, Schemmel, or whoever the Ocean guy was. However, while I'm not 100% sold, Bang Zoom Kaio really left an impression on me, so that's a plus.
Retired.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:18 am

Bianju wrote:
Nightmare Wheel wrote:There are a few Blue Water voices that I thought were really strong in their dub of OG Dragon Ball, which is much better than their GT dub. Zoe Slusar as Goku, Leda Davies as Bulma, Mike Shepherd as Kami, Dave Pettitt as Popo and Dean Galloway as Pilaf are some of my favorites.
Hmm... Mind if I say that Goku's actually one of my least favorite parts of the Blue Water version? Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome that it's the first (good) English production to call him by his full name, but... Zoe Slusar sounds really uninterested. I like the sound of the voice (a legitimate predecessor to either Morrow or Yurk's Adult Goku) but the delivery kind of kills it for me. Davies' Bulma is pretty nice, as are the others you mentioned. Yajirobe also gets a mention from me because the whole surfer thing really works for him.
I only ever got that impression from Zoe Slusar in GT which had sub-par acting all around. Even there she's miles ahead of Jerimiah Yurk, which I realize is not a very high bar.

Now I'm kicking myself for not mentioning Lucas Gilbertson's Yajirobe.
Bianju wrote: I wonder, is there a particular voice that you feel NOBODY has truly mastered yet?
Quite a few actually: Chi-Chi, Future Trunks, Younger Gohan, 18, Recoome, Lunch. That's just off the top of my head. There's probably more if I really thought about it.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:59 am

Bianju wrote: Hmm... Mind if I say that Goku's actually one of my least favorite parts of the Blue Water version? Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome that it's the first (good) English production to call him by his full name, but... Zoe Slusar sounds really uninterested. I like the sound of the voice (a legitimate predecessor to either Morrow or Yurk's Adult Goku) but the delivery kind of kills it for me. Davies' Bulma is pretty nice, as are the others you mentioned. Yajirobe also gets a mention from me because the whole surfer thing really works for him.
Overall the acting in Blue Water's GT dub is definitely lackluster but "uninterested" isn't a word I would use to describe Zoe Slusar's Goku. Never was it close to the lack of enthusiasm you hear in these clips for example.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:24 pm

I'll always have a soft spot for Blue Water's Goku and Pan. Both were great choices with inconsistent direction.
I quite liked Blue Water's Lunch and Roshi too actually, now that I think about it.
Bianju wrote:I wonder, is there a particular voice that you feel NOBODY has truly mastered yet?
Kuririn, Roshi, Pan, Piccolo Daimao, and Goku.

I'll probably get some pushback from those last two, but here's a quick clarification: McNeil nailed(No pun intended) Piccolo Junior/Ma Junior, but his predecessor/father has only ever been dubbed by Funimation and Blue Water, so
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Bianju

Post by Bianju » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:58 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I'll always have a soft spot for Blue Water's Goku and Pan. Both were great choices with inconsistent direction.
I quite liked Blue Water's Lunch and Roshi too actually, now that I think about it.
Kuririn, Roshi, Pan, Piccolo Daimao, and Goku.

I'll probably get some pushback from those last two, but here's a quick clarification: McNeil nailed(No pun intended) Piccolo Junior/Ma Junior, but his predecessor/father has only ever been dubbed by Funimation and Blue Water, so
I'm actually a fan of Pan's Ocean Group VA's, but for the other ones (beside Goku), but I'll definitely agree that Kuririn has yet to get a proper performance (especially Kid Kuririn), though I'll admit I like Sonny Strait's version quite a bit. I've always seen him as becoming the one with the biggest heart in the group, and I think Strait's version gets that across well... I just wish it either sounded more like Tanaka or more like its own thing.

Nobody has done Piccolo (old) or God perfectly to me. I can't wait until TFS gets to King Piccolo; their current God voice is actually my favorite out of any of them, so I wonder how they'll handle Piccolo Sr... Especially since I'd like for them to have the same VA, just one sounding more gruff and, well, evil than the other.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:02 am

Robo4900 wrote: I'll probably get some pushback from those last two, but here's a quick clarification: McNeil nailed(No pun intended) Piccolo Junior/Ma Junior, but his predecessor/father has only ever been dubbed by Funimation and Blue Water, so
I agree that King Piccolo hasn't been done right yet. I personally wasn't happy with Sabat's overly throaty portrayal in Dragon Ball, it just reminded me of an angry troll or ogre rather than a main villain. Blue Water's voice was also unfitting and rather bland as well so it wasn't much of an alternative. If McNeil had gotten a chance to dub him properly (outside of brief flashbacks) I do think he could have done it justice. If you've ever heard his Chaos Sorcerer from Dawn of War 2, I think something similar to that would've worked nicely as King Piccolo/Daimaō.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:43 am

Roshi is one of those characters that doesn't have a great English voice.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:39 am

Most of the Ocean cast (especially Scott McNeil and Brian Drummond), Michael McConnohie for Kaio, all the female Bang Zoom castings so far, Barbara Goodson for kid Goku and a few of the Blue Water actors (Pan, Shenron).
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Bianju

Post by Bianju » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:09 am

Tenshinhan I think actually has been done well more times than not. In fact, I really only have problems with a couple of versions.

Eddie Frierson's "Shinto" performance I actually like a lot. Sounds pretty close to the original, although I think under better direction he would definitely do better.

Matt Smith just sounded too... Oomph-y for his own good. Like he's trying to sound way too cool. Easily the worst version of Chaozu's death and the final Kikoho across any of the dubs.

Burgmeier I think is pretty great. Not much else to really say. Same with Brendan Hunter.

And, believe it or not... I actually quite like David Gasman's version, as little of it as there is. That guy's not suited for Goku whatsoever, but he makes a pretty good unique portrayal of Tenshinhan. Certainly loads better than whoever voiced him in Movie 3's AB Groupe dub.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:42 pm

I prefer Ed Marcus' Paragus to Dameon Clarke's. Yeah, Ed's in a bad dub, but man, he's having the time of his life.

Aside from Roshi, other characters that don't have a great voice IMO are Tenshinhan, Krillin, Bardock, King Cold, Chi-Chi and Majin Buu.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:07 pm

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but I always liked the first English Captain Ginyu. He has just the *right* amount of goofiness for me.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:25 pm

Peter Kelamis (Goku), Brian Drummond (Vegeta), Scott McNeil (Piccolo) and Wendee Lee (Bulma).

veggiechan

Post by veggiechan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:15 pm

Blue Water's Baby Vegeta and Pan sound better than the Funi VAs for me
Also Saffron Henderson did the best kid Gohan voice of all the dubs, I wish they somehow got her for Kai

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:57 pm

veggiechan wrote:Blue Water's Baby Vegeta and Pan sound better than the Funi VAs for me
Also Saffron Henderson did the best kid Gohan voice of all the dubs, I wish they somehow got her for Kai
She would have been too expensive, and plus, she's an union actress. I agree with you that she's the best voice for Kid Gohan.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:29 pm

veggiechan wrote:Blue Water's Baby Vegeta and Pan sound better than the Funi VAs for me
Ocean Kai is a thing, and Saffron Henderson was confirmed as a returning voice for it.
Given Canadian broadcast regulations, if Kai airs in Canada, your wish very well might be granted. :)
TheBigBoy wrote:I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but I always liked the first English Captain Ginyu. He has just the *right* amount of goofiness for me.
Yeah, I love Ocean's Ginyu too(Richard Newman); Dale Kelley's Ginyu sounded too much like a sort of typical jock-ish "Cool guy", I guess. And while the second voice Funimation got for Ginyu(Brice Armstrong), aswell as his Kai voice(Robert Bruce Elliot) do much better jobs than Kelley did, I don't think either quite matched up to Newman's.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:35 am

I think there are many Non-FUNi English voices which are overlooked for DB

Ocean Dub

Brian Drummond - despite not having the Japanese audio he still managed to give vegeta a sinister Evil Voice and unlike Sabat he never sounded forced and also, he can scream and can show Vegata's Rage too specially that famous "MY WRATH" line he did so I hope Ocean dub dub Kai because I think Drummond voice is closer to Horikawa than Sabat so it will be intresting to see how his voice will be like if he tries to Imitate Ryō.

Peter Kelamis - I think he is the best Goku voice in terms of actual voice I mean as Kelamis had that High Pitched voice which sounds similar to Japanese counterpart and it doesn't make goku sound Smart and his voice acting in World's Strongest Dub was great and his correct pronunciation of "KAIO KEN" was great too. Also,he tried to use Slang language in Movie 1 dub to show his Hick tone so I think he is one of my Favorite Non-FUNi Dub voices, too bad he doesn't voice goku anymore.

Laara Sadiq - I think her Chichi voice was good, it had that caring mother feel and still was able to sound nice when Chi chi was In Angry and atleast her Chi Chi doesn't Sounded like The "Raging Housewife" that Cynthia Cranz made chichi and it's not like she can't make her sound sweet because Cranz's Boten from Yu Yu Hakusho was good but she cannot really use that voice for Chi chi and now in Kai TFC she sounded even worse.

Saffron Hendersen - I think her voice for Kid Gohan was really good as it sounded like a child and still didn't sounded forced. I think it was the best voice for Kid Gohan in Z and way better than Stephanie Nadolny's Scratchy and forced gohan.

Bang Zoom Dub

Michael McConnohie- I think is the Best English Kaiō Voice as he makes him sound like a wise old Sage without sounding like lispy troll like Sean makes Kaiō sound like.

Wendee Lee - I like her Bulma voice, she makes her sound sweet and intelligent and Current FUNimation bulma is good too.

Tamara Ryan - I like her voice of Android 18 it just sounds so good and it fits her but I haven't heard her enough.

Brian Beacock - he makes Krillin sound good too and keeps that goofy nature of him too.

Chris Hackney - he sounds nice as well for adult gohan and keeps his polite toned and calm nature with the voice.

Harmony Gold Dub

Wendee Lee - again she sounded really good for bulma and had a sweet girl voice and sounded way better than Tiffany Volmer's Scratchy and forced Bulma

Barbara Goodson - I prefer her Kid Goku over FUNimation's Kid goku because of the same reasons. FUNimation's voices were really scratchy and rough whereas Goodson's Goku sounded like a little kid with S soft voice
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:39 am

Ripper 30 wrote:I think there are many Non-FUNi English voices which are overlooked for DB

Ocean Dub

Brian Drummond - despite not having the Japanese audio he still managed to give vegeta a sinister Evil Voice and unlike Sabat he never sounded forced and also, he can scream and can show Vegata's Rage too specially that famous "MY WRATH" line he did so I hope Ocean dub dub Kai because I think Drummond voice is closer to Horikawa than Sabat so it will be intresting to see how his voice will be like if he tries to Imitate Ryō.

Peter Kelamis - I think he is the best Goku voice in terms of actual voice I mean as Kelamis had that High Pitched voice which sounds similar to Japanese counterpart and it doesn't make goku sound Smart and his voice acting in World's Strongest Dub was great and his correct pronunciation of "KAIO KEN" was great too. Also,he tried to use Slang language in Movie 1 dub to show his Hick tone so I think he is one of my Favorite Non-FUNi Dub voices, too bad he doesn't voice goku anymore.

Laara Sadiq - I think her Chichi voice was good, it had that caring mother feel and still was able to sound nice when Chi chi was In Angry and atleast her Chi Chi doesn't Sounded like The "Raging Housewife" that Cynthia Cranz made chichi and it's not like she can't make her sound sweet because Cranz's Boten from Yu Yu Hakusho was good but she cannot really use that voice for Chi chi and now in Kai TFC she sounded even worse.

Saffron Hendersen - I think her voice for Kid Gohan was really good as it sounded like a child and still didn't sounded forced. I think it was the best voice for Kid Gohan in Z and way better than Stephanie Nadolny's Scratchy and forced gohan.

Bang Zoom Dub

Michael McConnohie- I think is the Best English Kaiō Voice as he makes him sound like a wise old Sage without sounding like lispy troll like Sean makes Kaiō sound like.

Wendee Lee - I like her Bulma voice, she makes her sound sweet and intelligent and Current FUNimation bulma is good too.

Tamara Ryan - I like her voice of Android 18 it just sounds so good and it fits her but I haven't heard her enough.

Brian Beacock - he makes Krillin sound good too and keeps that goofy nature of him too.

Chris Hackney - he sounds nice as well for adult gohan and keeps his polite toned and calm nature with the voice.

Harmony Gold Dub

Wendee Lee - again she sounded really good for bulma and had a sweet girl voice and sounded way better than Tiffany Volmer's Scratchy and forced Bulma

Barbara Goodson - I prefer her Kid Goku over FUNimation's Kid goku because of the same reasons. FUNimation's voices were really scratchy and rough whereas Goodson's Goku sounded like a little kid with S soft voice
Drummond's Vegeta voice in Z doesn't really sound close to Horikawa. One thing they do share is that they sound young. If he used his Zechs voice, then we could get something close to Horikawa's Vegeta in Z: a very smooth voice.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:39 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:I think there are many Non-FUNi English voices which are overlooked for DB

Ocean Dub

Bang Zoom Dub

Harmony Gold Dub

Drummond's Vegeta voice in Z doesn't really sound close to Horikawa. One thing they do share is that they sound young. If he used his Zechs voice, then we could get something close to Horikawa's Vegeta in Z: a very smooth voice.
I meant that if I was told to pick someone who can get a voice closer to Ryō then it will definitely be Drummond because Sabat voice is just too deep and when he uses his smooth voice it will sound like his current piccolo.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:47 am

Robo4900 wrote:Kuririn, Roshi, Pan, Piccolo Daimao, and Goku.
I'm surprised at the last one, since you think Kelamis is the best English Goku.
Ripper 30 wrote:I meant that if I was told to pick someone who can get a voice closer to Ryō then it will definitely be Drummond because Sabat voice is just too deep and when he uses his smooth voice it will sound like his current piccolo.
I never found his Kai voice for Vegeta that deep, at least not compared to his Z voice, which was too gruff and too forced. His Yamcha voice on the other hand is kind of deep. Even though he doesn't completely sound like a surfer anymore, I still get some surfer vibes.