Does the fanbase enrich DBS or diminish it for you?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Does the fanbase enrich DBS or diminish it for you?

Post by Totamo » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:39 am

I was having a good time with this episode, damn it!

Then I came here and on Youtube and Reddit and now I'm just angry, man.

People getting angry about Goku, while JUSTIFYING his actions in Z. People complaining about the animation.

Does the fanbase super more enjoyable for you or does it you make you wish you watched it in private

Boo Machine

Re: Does the fanbase enrich DBS or diminish it for you?

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:16 am

It gets a little tiring hearing the same complaints over and over for sure. But the fanbase not only enriches DBS for me but the whole franchise in general.

If I didn't interact with the fanbase at all I wouldn't know any where near the amount of stuff I do now about the animation, production, lore, etc...

Plus learning the perspective of other fans helps me understand my own and what I enjoy and look for in my Dragonball. It's also interesting about how others view the series and franchise as a whole. I enjoy talking about what I love with other people. It's fun.

In short, The fanbase is kind of like my brothers. Annoys the hell out of me sometimes, but I can't help but love it. and if they get too loud then I just ignore them.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:17 am

Boo Machine wrote:It gets a little tiring hearing the same complaints over and over for sure. But the fanbase not only enriches DBS for me but the whole franchise in general.

If I didn't interact with the fanbase at all I wouldn't know any where near the amount of stuff I do now about the animation, production, lore, etc...

Plus learning the perspective of other fans helps me understand my own and what I enjoy and look for in my Dragonball. It's also interesting about how others view the series and franchise as a whole. I enjoy talking about what I love with other people. It's fun.

In short, The fanbase is kind of like my brothers. Annoys the hell out of me sometimes, but I can't help but love it. and if they get too loud then I just ignore them.
You got a point there

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:31 am

I like hearing different opinions, and you can easily tell when someone is being a rabid fanboy hating for no reason over actual legitimate complaints.

Legitimate criticism is fine, and it's pretty easy to distinguish between that and someone going on some hate rant about a character, episode, writing, or whatever. You can easily ignore the latter.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:06 pm

It provides a more interesting perspective on the collective opinion for certain subjects regarding Dragon Ball Super. And I'm certainly the sort of person who likes a good debate. At the same token, I've never invested in anyone's opinion of the show, or specific matter surrounding the show, other than myself seriously, because if did, I doubt I would keep watching the show. It is very fun see so many different fans come up with theories and solutions when the show itself doesn't care to fill in the blank. Stuff like that can be fun because it can leads the hypothesis's about certain aspects, of not just Super, but of Dragon ball as a whole that you never thought about. But unfortunately misinformation can still spread and sometimes people take certain parts of the show too seriously. But that's what makes following Dragon Ball Super all the more interesting and fun; every voice gives a unique opinion, whether you agree with it or not.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:13 pm

Neither really. The fanbase is just there. It doesn't affect my enjoyment (or lack thereof) of any episodes and it shouldn't affect your enjoyment either dude.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Some of them have problems because they never seen Dragonball and knows only the serious part of Goku etc..I feel like Dragonball Super has divided the
fanbase but i don't think it is a bad thing people will learn more about Dragonball that it is not only action or all the time serious

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:30 pm

Totamo wrote: Does the fanbase super more enjoyable for you or does it you make you wish you watched it in private
I DO watch it in private :D

Nothing anyone says can change my personal perspective and enjoyment of the series, so I don't mind the stuff some people say.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:54 pm

Totamo wrote:I was having a good time with this episode, damn it!

Then I came here and on Youtube and Reddit and now I'm just angry, man.

People getting angry about Goku, while JUSTIFYING his actions in Z. People complaining about the animation.

Does the fanbase super more enjoyable for you or does it you make you wish you watched it in private
I personally enjoy watching the fandom set itself on fire, especially over Gohan and Goku. Just keep in mind that more vocal fans are usually the minority. People called Goku unsympathetic asshole who everyone now hates, yet he destroys characters in popularity polls.

The only thing that really annoys me is fans blaming everything they don't like on Toei, when Goku getting 'no development' is on Toriyama since he writes the outline and hasn't giving Goku any development. Or the lacked of used Gohan.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

IKevinX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by IKevinX » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:06 pm

Enrich, definitely.

It's nice to get the same new information as everyone else for a change and then compare how different we all feel given a new plot element.
Though it's the internet, and we must learn to separate opinion from pure hatred but sometimes it's hard. But all and all, it has enriched a lot.
Playlist for my Deep Look series on DBS. Analysis Manga+Anime
Playlist for my Top 7 Best moments on DBS, per arc.

Awesome Goku Black Tribute
Goku SSJ4 vs Goku SSJ God

I don't know why Jpn loves the first Broly movies given then enormous amount of parodies, but I've come to love them aswell, hence the Paragus.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -You know who. (Not Voldemort)

Booze Sama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Booze Sama » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:21 pm

Both.

I cant believe there are people saying the animation was bad in the last episode! LOL. What? Its the best I've ever seen it! And I've been watching DBZ since Toonami days in 2001.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:00 pm

Lujin_16 wrote:Some of them have problems because they never seen Dragonball and knows only the serious part of Goku etc..I feel like Dragonball Super has divided the
fanbase but i don't think it is a bad thing people will learn more about Dragonball that it is not only action or all the time serious
Are you saying that not liking the show just means that you don't understand what Dragon Ball's all about? That's bullshit. I live and breath Dragon Ball. I've followed the show for as long as I can remember. And I can tell you for 100% certain that the tonal issues weren't usually a problem before Super, among SEVERAL other problems with DBS.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:56 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:Neither really. The fanbase is just there. It doesn't affect my enjoyment (or lack thereof) of any episodes and it shouldn't affect your enjoyment either dude.
I disagree. The fanbase has taught me about the animation side of things, which definitely enriched DBS for me. It was also fun to speculate together during the Black arc. I don't see a problem with the fanbase making the series more enjoyable.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Colonel Silver
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Colonel Silver » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:11 am

I won't say the community enriches or diminishes my enjoyment of DBS. No one on some internet forum is going to change my opinion about something I enjoy or hate. Honestly, a lot of the stuff I've discussed on the internet about Dragon Ball hasn't really altered my views about the show at all. Like I have certain ideas about the show instilled in me from childhood which I've been told are dub errors etc, I know I'm wrong but I don't really give a shit. Hell, I pretend side material like Minus doesn't exist. I avoid the discussions that talk about those things and I avoid discussing them. This is how Dragon Ball works in my head, this is how it was presented to me as a child and I don't really care if it's wrong.

Now pointing out why Toriyama chose the color of Goku's transformations and why these guys always shout their special moves is pretty interesting. Random trivia like that sticks. You know that's cool stuff to know but it doesn't effect my enjoyment of the show, I don't really give the trivia a second thought when actually watching the show.

I come here because I enjoy that other people enjoy Dragon Ball. It's weird.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:24 am

TekTheNinja wrote:
Lujin_16 wrote:Some of them have problems because they never seen Dragonball and knows only the serious part of Goku etc..I feel like Dragonball Super has divided the
Are you saying that not liking the show just means that you don't understand what Dragon Ball's all about? That's bullshit. I live and breath Dragon Ball. I've followed the show for as long as I can remember. And I can tell you for 100% certain that the tonal issues weren't usually a problem before Super, among SEVERAL other problems with DBS.
Thats kind of a lie.

Plotholes, Inconsistencies, Contrivances, Unexplanations.

Sounds like things you can find in the 42 volumes, you know that thing the show you love came from.

Hell, i just got done arguing with someone who says goku fights for the innocent and to defend the weak.

Don't want to be an asshole, but if you tell that same shit, i don't care how much you claim or say, you don't know dragon ball.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:40 am

Totamo wrote:Thats kind of a lie.

Sounds like things you can find in the 42 volumes, you know that thing the show you love came from.

Hell, i just got done arguing with someone who says goku fights for the innocent and to defend the weak.

Don't want to be an asshole, but if you tell that same shit, i don't care how much you claim or say, you don't know dragon ball.
I think what TekTheNinja was getting at is that, while there are certainly those taking issue with Super's macro characterizations because of a lack of familiarity with the original version, it's rather problematic to dismiss all issues with the series by lumping them into that category. There are plenty of people intensely familiar with the original taking issue with the writing on a micro-level. Not all criticisms come from the same place.

On topic: Enrich. I like talking about things I enjoy. Or sometimes don't enjoy.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:47 am

Totamo wrote: Thats kind of a lie.

To be fair, Goku does fights to protect the innocent and to defend the weak. It's just not his primary goal. If he sees innocent in danger or someone using their great power to bully others, he will step in and stop it. But he isn't going to be Superman and fly around looking for people to save, to be a pagan, and he will put his own selfish desires ahead of the needs of the many. Basically, the movie version of Tony Starks, except Starks tries to do the right thing for the many, which often backfires and makes things worse.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:05 am

HeroR wrote:
Totamo wrote: Thats kind of a lie.

To be fair, Goku does fights to protect the innocent and to defend the weak. It's just not his primary goal. If he sees innocent in danger or someone using their great power to bully others, he will step in and stop it. But he isn't going to be Superman and fly around looking for people to save, to be a pagan, and he will put his own selfish desires ahead of the needs of the many. Basically, the movie version of Tony Starks, except Starks tries to do the right thing for the many, which often backfires and makes things worse.
They said it was his primary goal and his fighting morals dictated his decision making.

Goku is a good man, but he has a questionable morality. This is seen throughout all of dragonball.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:09 am

Cipher wrote:
Totamo wrote:Thats kind of a lie.

I think what TekTheNinja was getting at is that, while there are certainly those taking issue with Super's macro characterizations because of a lack of familiarity with the original version, it's rather problematic to dismiss all issues with the series by lumping them into that category. There are plenty of people intensely familiar with the original taking issue with the writing on a micro-level. Not all criticisms come from the same place.

On topic: Enrich. I like talking about things I enjoy. Or sometimes don't enjoy.
I agree with that, super has problems the other 3 series never did and super has done things better than the other 3 series have done as well. My point is people list those 4 things as why super is awful when all of dragon ball has done that.

Its why i don't bash GT for things in dragon ball and Z, in fact GT has less plotholes and makes more sense than both of those 2. Its GT's problems that make me hate it so much.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:15 am

Totamo wrote: They said it was his primary goal and his fighting morals dictated his decision making.

Goku is a good man, but he has a questionable morality. This is seen throughout all of dragonball.
I wouldn't call it questionable morality.

It called it Values Dissonance: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... Dissonance

Or, Blue and Orange Morality: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... geMorality

A lot of Goku's more questionable decisions seems odd to us because it's written from a different culture than ours and Goku had an usual life that color his view of the world. He's basically a feral child on top of being an alien.
Totamo wrote:
Its why i don't bash GT for things in dragon ball and Z, in fact GT has less plotholes and makes more sense than both of those 2. Its GT's problems that make me hate it so much.
Can't agree that GT has less plot holes than Dragon Ball or Z, unless you mean more in the sense that GT is a shorter series, or it makes more sense. GT's entire premised starts on a plothole and goes on from there.
Kanassa wrote: