Is Super really intended for a younger audience?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Is Super really intended for a younger audience?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:57 pm

I've ponder this question for a long time as many people claim Super is made for a younger audience but it is possible considering GT was also intended for a younger audience than Dragon Ball or DBZ. The difference here is GT was made during a horrible time for the Japanese anime industry when anime was pandering towards children and "otakus" while Super is made when Japanese censorship had gotten stricter and the show airs on Sunday mornings instead of Wednesday nights.

Other examples would be the violence is significantly tone down from the original series (which had blood, gore, and even decapitation), the stories are much more within Toriyama's comfort zone, and as far as I can tell there's no heavy-hitting themes explored thus far (the original series dealt with racism, nurture vs. nature, and redemption). There also seems to be a stronger emphasis on comedy (particularly the anime) than the original which was mostly serious from the Piccolo Daimao arc and following.

Now what do y'all think?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Is Super really intended for a younger audience?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:45 pm

Of course it is. Dragon Ball's primary audience is and always has been children and Super is no different. Standards have changed since Z was released though, hence Super being more tame.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:46 pm

No. It's just that TV broadcast standards have changed from the 80's/90's to the 2010's.

There's also been blood returning in a few episodes.

alexhermit
Not-So-Newbie

Post by alexhermit » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:07 pm

But wasent DBZ more aimed for teenagers audience? I mean its Shounen Jump series after all which is why it feels like they unnecessarily toned it down too much.
You can only now wonder if Toei or even Toriyama would be baffled to believe that the show isnt popular among adult fans?
Hell there are plenty of family disney movies that are darker and serious than DBS lol.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:35 pm

Yes it is, but you're right about the censorship thought.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:17 pm

I think they're trying to hit everybody, both nostalgia fans and new young fans.

The level of "hey look who's back" wouldn't be nearly as high if they were strictly going after new fans.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:31 pm

Dragon Ball Super's audience is the same as demographic that Dragon Ball has been aiming at since day one: young boys.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:50 am

Kinda reminds me of Michael Bay's ROTF & Dark of the Moon

The former was ripped apart, but Bay claimed it was made specially for fans

While Dark of the Moon was exclusively for critics (considering how he employed James Camerons 3D tech to redeem himself)

Alas, critics arent the only ones with brains

Likewise, DB's demography may have been childrens but Z isnt

I mean, the level of violence & dark moments throughout Z (except tail end of Buu Arc) simply isnt for childrens in my pov

Watching holes blasted over chest/gut, mass Namekian/Saiyan geneocide, humans getting sucked/drained by Cell's tail, Babidi manipulating & subsequently exploding Spopovitch, TB attendant or Buu wiping out humans outta existance is simply.....isnt a childrens show

Ofc, GT came & tried rekindling old DB "childish spirit" which honestly backfired. It realized & turned to Z style with Baby Arc onward

Super embraces the stupidity & frankly isnt holding a candle to GT in terms of self-realization

Its pretentious of being a childrens show (when most childrens today have been watching & accustomed to dark, brooding, high quality stuff as DN, HXH2011, FMAB, Code Geass etc)

Super actually stays afloat thx to its legion of supporters/paradise of fools. But only barely....