Anyone else think Senzu beans are kind of 'cheap'?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Anyone else think Senzu beans are kind of 'cheap'?

Post by gofishus » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:12 pm

Its basically equivalent to a Full Restore in an RPG game that restores the character's HP back to full, and there's no drawbacks to using it at all. The official description is "restoring a user's physical health to the fullest" but in DBZ and DBS has been used to restore injuries, regrow arms, restore ki etc its an all powerful cheat code IMO and can be combined with the Zenkai to in theory gain potential limitless boosts. does anyone think this way about senzus? whenever I see them in the show I go like 'oh here comes the magical cheat code again...'

Lek
Beyond Newbie

Re: Anyone else think Senzu beans are kind of 'cheap'?

Post by Lek » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:25 am

I think they somewhat limit themselves due to the senzu taking a long time to grow. The further we go with the series (and using them up like candy), the fewer senzu seem to be available from Korin the next time they need them.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:43 pm

We are at such a level of power that all characters have "instakill- quadramagic" and sentzu are used just inbetween rounds to have the match last some scene more.
They became more a "plot" items than actually something you mind about.
"Here's the cheat code!"=="Another episode for that fight".
"I forgot bringing the sentzu!"=="Another rematch later".

Also, Zenkai apparently can't go on forever and now it's quite totally unuseful.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:31 pm

Senzu beans saved Yamcha after Gero literally punched a hole through his chest. So to say they're "overpowered" is saying the truth. I don't know how Yamcha survived that.

IKevinX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by IKevinX » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:20 pm

Cheap? If I had senzu beans I would be fricking trillionaire.

But, come to think of it. They are somewhat cheap a free redo. Especially how they were overused in the ROF movie/arc. Felt like TFS Krillin handing senzus to everyone.
At least we have it being not cheap in the manga at the moment when Zamasu snabbed them from Goku.
Playlist for my Deep Look series on DBS. Analysis Manga+Anime
Playlist for my Top 7 Best moments on DBS, per arc.

Awesome Goku Black Tribute
Goku SSJ4 vs Goku SSJ God

I don't know why Jpn loves the first Broly movies given then enormous amount of parodies, but I've come to love them aswell, hence the Paragus.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -You know who. (Not Voldemort)

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:00 pm

They are cheap at time,but not as cheap when a character get a super Saiyan transformation
IKevinX wrote:Cheap? If I had senzu beans I would be fricking trillionaire.

But, come to think of it. They are somewhat cheap a free redo. Especially how they were overused in the ROF movie/arc. Felt like TFS Krillin handing senzus to everyone.
At least we have it being not cheap in the manga at the moment when Zamasu snabbed them from Goku.
agreed, zamasu just snatch that senzu like it was nothing[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Mostly active on discord.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:15 pm

IKevinX wrote:Cheap? If I had senzu beans I would be fricking trillionaire.

OP is not talking about money, by cheap he means a readily available plot device.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:50 am

The idea of an instant revive that's plentiful, easy to get around, hide, and use. Is the very definition of cheap, and thank god that our heroes don't ever manage to bring them along. Those little things would be great for taking out the tension of any situation.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:49 am

They were important when battles needed to last longer, now they want to finish as fast as possible so it's unimportant now
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:36 am

Senzu counts declined thanks to Yajirobe. Combine that factor with their growth rate & it's the likely motive for each story arc placing years apart from each other.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:15 am

Why is this in the Super section ? Senzu aren't Super exclusive.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸