In Defense of Son Goku

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: In Defense of Son Goku

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:41 am

But Toei did add scenes like him and Goten meeting for the first time, and I think they added some regret for the way he threw Gohan into the Cell fight after Piccolo yells at him.

Even before Super there were fanfics condemning him. And I say more power to you if you do hate him. And also more power to you if you like him.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:39 pm

I really don't see why Goku needs defending. He's a an extremely flawed character, who, as the story develops, has his crave for a good battle and challenge often create issues within the plot. Whether later incarnations of the character, as we see in Z, GT, the movie and Super, handle those flaws appropriately is certainly up for debate, but ironically, that just makes Goku all the more of a unique character. At times he just can't help himself.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:04 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:But Toei did add scenes like him and Goten meeting for the first time, and I think they added some regret for the way he threw Gohan into the Cell fight after Piccolo yells at him.

Even before Super there were fanfics condemning him. And I say more power to you if you do hate him. And also more power to you if you like him.
Toei made his reaction more pronounce when it was dull surprised in the manga. Funny enough, manga Goku hugged Gohan before leaving to fight Super Buu, while anime Goku was a statue.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:12 pm

Wow, didnt know that! 1 Point for Manga!Goku.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: