Toyotaro's involvement in Super

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jpranevich
Beyond Newbie

Toyotaro's involvement in Super

Post by jpranevich » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:09 pm

The recent designs for the other universe Gods of Destruction were credited both to Akira Toriyama and Toyotaro. We know that Toyotaro has been doing the manga, but it's been consistently my impression that he and Toei were on separate development tracks, producing different versions of an original Toriyama vision.

Is this the first confirmation that Toyotaro is actively involved in the anime as well? Or did he contribute art or plot elements to the previous Super episodes with less comment?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Toyotaro's involvement in Super

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:10 pm

Well, Toyotaro did state he would be giving the anime team more information as the story goes ahead, and that was from an interview back in October 2016:
At this point, I'm not very involved with it. I think going forward, I'll be more involved, but at this point in time, I actually receive more information from the anime team than I give to them. The anime is a little bit further along than I am, but in the near future I'll be ahead, so the information will be going back to them. Regardless, we'll continue to support one another as we go forward.
My assumption is that the information he's passing on is the character designs of the Hakaishin, Angels, and other characters he came up by himself, along with Toriyama, for the latest arc. I could be wrong though. And he could be coming up with the plot outline with Toyotaro. You never know. Toyotaro does work closely with Toriyama with the Super manga... :think:

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Toyotaro's involvement in Super

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:44 pm

The fact that he's designing characters with Toriyama, getting praised by Toriyama as his heir, and went from just writing a rushed adaptation to suddenly giving info to the main product, makes me believe he's way more involved than we all thought. I'm thinking Tori liked what he saw of the manga and started suggesting he get more involved with Super. Shueisha agreed and now with the DB room, here we are