Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 79

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:26 am

aaronWgamer wrote:
iAnimationLover_ wrote:Could you elaborate, please? :>
I think what he's trying to say is that between storyboard artists and animators being rushed, any potential some of the early fights had was burned away by the horrible schedule, piece by piece.

Storyboard artists wouldn't have been on their A game to begin with, elements of certain storyboards would have been dropped, the direction would have been confused by weird management and as we all know, rushed animation is rushed animation. I can see what would be minor issues normally all coming together to ruin a lot of the arc. Actually, that's what happened.
I know all of that, its just that i found it weird (Aside from the 3 big episodes) that Gashif said that "The champa arc actually had good cheography.", and it was all rushed, which means it wasnt good. So i asked if he could elaborate, and thats it, lol

Sorry if that might have not made any sense, I'm super tired :lol: literally cant bring myself to read gashif's post under yours (Sorry)

aaronWgamer
Not-So-Newbie

Post by aaronWgamer » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:03 am

iAnimationLover_ wrote: Sorry if that might have not made any sense, I'm super tired :lol: literally cant bring myself to read gashif's post under yours (Sorry)
That's alright, I've been in the same position a few times :D

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:04 pm

I hate to beat the dead horse that is Yamamuro's character designs, but man I wish this Heroes artist's style was what Super used.
I think these are all the same artist (Goku might not be), either way they all look a lot better than Yamamuro.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:08 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:I hate to beat the dead horse that is Yamamuro's character designs, but man I wish this Heroes artist's style was what Super used.
I think these are all the same artist, either way they all look a lot better than Yamamuro.
Gottdayum, that looks nice. Especially Vegetto. That Saiyan Saga Vegeta reminds me of Naoki Miyahara's art from the Cell and Buu sagas. Which, is a good thing.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:38 pm

The z noses and the little curve in the bottom of the eyes makes the difference

And I like the adittion of a 3rd vertical line in the forehead

samuo2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by samuo2 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:09 pm

And to rub it in, the cover of the new DVD of Dragon Ball Super, draw by Yamamuro.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Heroes artists are awesome.
Last edited by samuo2 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
English isn't my native Language, please be understanding with faults and other grammatical mistakes, and don't hesitate to correct me !

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:15 pm

Did toei added the new filter on the blu ray?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The Black Goku shot is different on this cover, it doesn't look the same as the TV version
kill me

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:22 pm

samuo2 wrote:And to rub it in, the cover of the new DVD of Dragon Ball Super, draw by Yamamuro.

[spoiler][imghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/C55V8ipU8AAmag2.jpg][/img][/spoiler]

This is still way better than his BoG and F era stuff. Yamamuro has been improving, but Super's rushed production probably cripples his chances to really take the time to reflect and improve.
One of the reasons I hope this arc is long is so that Yamamuro can redo all of the character designs for the next arc, I want him to go back and look at his Buu era art as well as look at how Toyotaro and Heroes have both arrived at a very similar art style to the Buu era and do something like that. With Toyotaro seemingly becoming a bigger part of Dragon Ball and even designing characters now it certainly would be hugely beneficial to at least take traits from his manga *coughnosesandeyescough*.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:23 pm

BakaManiaHD wrote:Did toei added the new filter on the blu ray?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The Black Goku shot is different on this cover, it doesn't look the same as the TV version
No I don't think so, Ajay or Psykomatik would have mentioned something by now. Think it's just the cover.

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:31 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: No I don't think so, Ajay or Psykomatik would have mentioned something by now. Think it's just the cover.
Yeah.. but it really looks different:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
kill me

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:47 pm

BakaManiaHD wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: No I don't think so, Ajay or Psykomatik would have mentioned something by now. Think it's just the cover.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I was about to point that out. The difference is obviously there, the colors are different, the aura is different, those tiny white circles are missing (thank god, I hope they remove all of them) I wonder why they decided to touch up that shot, but I think it looks better now from what I see.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

samuo2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by samuo2 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:57 pm

I think there is a kind of CGI-texture on the TV-version to highlight.. the highlight which isn't applied on the picture of the cover.

You know, something similar to the Super Shenlong here:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
English isn't my native Language, please be understanding with faults and other grammatical mistakes, and don't hesitate to correct me !

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:01 pm

BakaManiaHD wrote:Did toei added the new filter on the blu ray?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

BakaManiaHD wrote:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I doubt you'll get a useful answer unless we have a better quality image.
Retired.

KameNinja45
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameNinja45 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:38 pm

samuo2 wrote:And to rub it in, the cover of the new DVD of Dragon Ball Super, draw by Yamamuro.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

That Zamasu looks so off...

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gashif Aldi » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:52 pm

iAnimationLover_ wrote:
aaronWgamer wrote:
iAnimationLover_ wrote:Could you elaborate, please? :>
I think what he's trying to say is that between storyboard artists and animators being rushed, any potential some of the early fights had was burned away by the horrible schedule, piece by piece.

Storyboard artists wouldn't have been on their A game to begin with, elements of certain storyboards would have been dropped, the direction would have been confused by weird management and as we all know, rushed animation is rushed animation. I can see what would be minor issues normally all coming together to ruin a lot of the arc. Actually, that's what happened.
I know all of that, its just that i found it weird (Aside from the 3 big episodes) that Gashif said that "The champa arc actually had good cheography.", and it was all rushed, which means it wasnt good. So i asked if he could elaborate, and thats it, lol

Sorry if that might have not made any sense, I'm super tired :lol: literally cant bring myself to read gashif's post under yours (Sorry)
Lol, that's okay. I'm just having fun, you know typing and having opinions.
I'm bad at English and still learning. If there's anything wrong, please correct me. :D

Profile Picture is from:

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:06 pm

Animator's corner still hasn't updated with episode 80, anyone know if they'll update before the next episode?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:04 pm

KameNinja45 wrote:That Zamasu looks so off...
Why?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:24 pm

KameNinja45 wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Black looks more off to me. He seems way more muscular here than I remember. I kinda wish the character designs got buffed up a bit :/
"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:30 pm

Octorockandroll wrote:
KameNinja45 wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Black looks more off to me. He seems way more muscular here than I remember. I kinda wish the character designs got buffed up a bit :/
Both of them are pathetic proportionally. That's a shame too, because I actually liked his last cover. I thought he was getting better with the composition, guess not.
Retired.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:37 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Both of them are pathetic proportionally. That's a shame too, because I actually liked his last cover. I thought he was getting better with the composition, guess not.
Their heads are a bit big, but other than that the proportions seem fine to me.