"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:39 pm

Noah wrote: Vegeta fans get what they want?

Vegeta killing a main villain?

Vegeta being more important than Goku? Vegeta not being used as a measure stick for new stronger characters? Vegeta stop being humiliated?
There are still things we want like him killing a main villain but so far we've been getting what we want.

That hasn't happened yet but hopefully it will.

That's all happened in the manga's Black arc.
TheMathemagician wrote:That's still valid. Vegeta fans have gotten that. They got Vegeta clowning Black twice in the manga. Now of course in the anime, it's a different story.
I would've liked that to happen in the anime but it seems like Toei don't have the spine to go with Toriyama's vision.
Last edited by sintzu on Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:42 pm

Lapislettuce wrote: Have you seen the intro ? is pretty clear who will get the final fight and spoiler allert it's not Vegeta.
Do you remember that they were advertising Goku vs Hit as the final fight of the U6 Arc but it was Monaca who fought at the end(gag fight but still)?

Vegeta defeating a worn-out Jiren doesnt look bad on paper, it still keeps Jiren strong in defeat.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:46 pm

perucho1990 wrote:Vegeta defeating a worn-out Jiren doesnt look bad on paper, it still keeps Jiren strong in defeat.
With Bra/Bulla/whatever her name is being born they'll probably want to push a "Vegeta fighting for his daughter" theme so he'll get a major role but I'm not sure it'll be that major.

Getting the win like that will make him the tournment's main character which will be coming after him being the Black arc's main character. It just seems too soon to do that again.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:48 pm

perucho1990 wrote:...though It could be good if its due to teamwork that puts Jiren down(Hit and Goku weaken him so Vegeta gets a chance in defeating him).
Sorry I think I got some reading problems, even though I know you said "teamwork" I could just read "out of character"
sintzu wrote:There are still things we want like him killing a main villain but so far we've been getting what we want.

That hasn't happened yet but hopefully it will.

That's all happened in the manga's Black arc.
As I said before and you avoid it:
and before you say "oh but the manga..." the manga is not the main product, so not a really good argument.
I have no problem in Vegeta becoming a main character of having his own arc someday but at least make it good, doesn't make like the other characters are a bunch of useless that don't know what they're doing. Have Vegeta stop fearing Beerus to use as stupid gags and have him want to become stronger by himself not giving a f*** about Goku, that would be good.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:53 pm

sintzu wrote:but in the anime he was sidelined while Goku and Trunks did most of the work.
Vegeta wasn't sidelined in the anime, he was very involved in the action and got quite a few kickass moments. Just because Trunks and Goku got more doesn't mean Vegeta is sidelined.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:55 pm

Noah wrote:As I said before and you avoid it:
and before you say "oh but the manga..." the manga is not the main product, so not a really good argument.
I honestly didn't see it. You're right, the manga isn't the main product which means it wouldn't be able to change that much so what we got in the manga is likely what was written by Toriyama but Toei were too afraid to go with it so they brought in Goku and Trunks.

What holds more weight, Toriyama's writing or Toei's ?
Kanassa wrote:Just because Trunks and Goku got more doesn't mean Vegeta is sidelined.
He was when you compare it to his role in the manga.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:01 pm

sintzu wrote:
He was when you compare it to his role in the manga.
You said ''The anime sidelined Vegeta'', the manga doesn't factor into the truth of that statement. The anime didn't sideline Vegeta

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:06 pm

Kanassa wrote:You said ''The anime sidelined Vegeta'', the manga doesn't factor into the truth of that statement. The anime didn't sideline Vegeta
Maybe your right, sidelined was a bit excessive but his role was still smaller than it was in the manga.

I'd bet you anything that his role in the manga is what Toriyama was talking about before RF when he said he wanted Vegeta to play the main role in the future. We also found out that when he was planning SsjB for RF it was supposed to have White hair but he changed it because it would clash with the at the time next villain (who turned out to be Zamasu) so he obviously had both concepts in his head at the time. I just wish Toei went with his outline instead of forcing Goku and Trunks into everything.

In RF Goku got a rematch with his main villain from Z Freeza while in the Zamasu arc Vegeta gets a rematch with his main villain from the past, Goku (a controlled one but one none the less).

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:16 pm

sintzu wrote:I just wish Toei went with his outline instead of forcing Goku and Trunks into everything.
Instead of forcing Trunks and Goku into everything, they force Vegeta into everything? And how were Goku and Trunks forced? Their roles are natural and build off the story, making sense as their connections with the villains themselves and what they're supposed to represent. Yeah, there was some bullshit about Trunks's power, but his role makes sense.

And if this really was Toriyama's outline to specifically have Vegeta this way (Though I really doubt it)? Thanks, TOEI for going a better route.

Kanassa wrote:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:21 pm

Kanassa wrote:And if this really was Toriyama's outline to specifically have Vegeta this way (Though I really doubt it)?

Thanks, TOEI for going a better route.
Would a side project be able to make that kind of a change ? I don't know how things work in Japan so maybe he could but I find it very unlikely for Toriyama and whoever else' involved with the manga to let him do that. Its been said multiple times that the anime just follows his draft so changes are to be expected considaring its the main product but Toyotaru always said he followed Toriyama's outlines pretty close.

He also said Goku was his favorite character and fans have said he doesn't like Vegeta so even if was allowed to do what he wanted it would make no sense to do what he did.

Yeah, thanks for pulling the rug from under Vegeta's royal boots.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:26 pm

sintzu wrote:
Kanassa wrote:And if this really was Toriyama's outline to specifically have Vegeta this way (Though I really doubt it)?

Thanks, TOEI for going a better route.
Would a side project be able to make that kind of a change ? I don't know how things work in Japan so maybe he could but I find it very unlikely for Toriyama and whoever else' involved with the manga to let him do that. Its been said multiple times that the anime just follows his draft so changes are to be expected considaring its the main product but Toyotaru always said he followed Toriyama's outlines pretty close.

He also said Goku was his favorite character and fans have said he doesn't like Vegeta so even if was allowed to do what he wanted it would make no sense to do what he did.
To me, Toriyama seems like someone who'd be pretty lax in this department. Plus, he obviously trusts Toyotaru and has stated that he'd like to let Toyo incorperate his own ideas. And he can still stick close to the draft while adding big things, depending on have detailed said outline is.
Yeah, thanks for pulling the rug from under Vegeta's royal boots
Pulling the rug out... Because he doesn't get everything. And I thought Gohan fans were the worst.

Kanassa wrote:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:30 pm

Since we don't know precisely what Toriyama intended for this arc or not, I gonna guess he did not write "Make Vegeta the greatest of all" in his outline, that would make him a bad storyteller IMO
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:35 pm

If anyone deserves to shine the most in this arc it's got to be 17 and i'm not saying this because i'm 17 trash but i legit don't understand why he didn't join the gang after the cell saga,they should make it up for all the time he was gone and for what they did to him in GT.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:55 pm

Kanassa wrote:
sintzu wrote:I just wish Toei went with his outline instead of forcing Goku and Trunks into everything.
Instead of forcing Trunks and Goku into everything, they force Vegeta into everything? And how were Goku and Trunks forced? Their roles are natural and build off the story, making sense as their connections with the villains themselves and what they're supposed to represent. Yeah, there was some bullshit about Trunks's power, but his role makes sense.

And if this really was Toriyama's outline to specifically have Vegeta this way (Though I really doubt it)? Thanks, TOEI for going a better route.
I swear vegeta fanboys will never be satisfied with anything in super
Vegeta has the second most screen time besides goku outta of the main cast, treated a lot better than most them and even the last arc defeated a main villain like black without black overcoming him with another zenkai.
I like vegeta but thank god the anime isn't sucking his dick like it is in the manga.

Pantheon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pantheon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:05 pm

Please take it to the anime vs manga thread. Also it doesn't matter what Toriyama wrote Toriyamas word is not indicative of quality.
On that topic why do people think a fan fiction writer has more credibility than professional script writers? I genuinely don''t understand.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:38 pm

dragonballgeek wrote:Salty much?
This is not an appropriate worthwhile response in general...

And pretty much everything else currently being discussed is unrelated to the topic of choice. This is a thread for discussion of announcements for the Dragon Ball Super series; please get back on-topic and take all the other conversations to more relevant threads. Thanks.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:23 pm

Pantheon wrote:On that topic why do people think a fan fiction writer has more credibility than professional script writers? I genuinely don''t understand.
I don't get your point, you mean Toyotaro?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

RehBeh
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RehBeh » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:37 am

Pantheon wrote: On that topic why do people think a fan fiction writer has more credibility than professional script writers? I genuinely don''t understand.
Because you are a script writer doesn't mean that what you write is good. And there are some good fan-fiction writers, heck there's one in the site too.
GT wasn't that bad
DBZ Macky wrote:
RehBeh wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: He is, its just that no one holds him in high esteem, even in-universe.
He must feel awful. Being a God and no one respects him. Just sad.
And Zamasu thought he had it bad. Fuckin' edgy Kaios thinking about "Justice" and shit just because they got strong by chance.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:39 am

perucho1990 wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote: Have you seen the intro ? is pretty clear who will get the final fight and spoiler allert it's not Vegeta.
Do you remember that they were advertising Goku vs Hit as the final fight of the U6 Arc but it was Monaca who fought at the end(gag fight but still)?

Vegeta defeating a worn-out Jiren doesnt look bad on paper, it still keeps Jiren strong in defeat.
That sounds disrespectful, honestly. Goku did all the heavy lifting and vegeta gets the win.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:58 am

Vegeta was barely in the OP, barely been in this arc, this arc is and will ultimately be about Goku.
He'll probably get a few KO's but other than that not expecting much from him this arc.