Can Saiyans survive in space?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Potara_Vegetto

Can Saiyans survive in space?

Post by Potara_Vegetto » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:08 pm

Freeza says that Saiyans cannot survive in space.
Why the Earth explosion in Fukkatsu no F killed Vegeta Blue and didn't killed Freeza Final Form? Maybe Vegeta died in space?
Goku and Beerus, they seem to be in space and Goku can breath anyway.

Can Saiyans truly survive in space or not?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Can Saiyans survive in space?

Post by Kanassa » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:11 pm

Toriyama seems to flip flop on that rue. My head cannon is that if you access god ki, you somehow stop needing to breathe while in God form or somthing
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:26 pm

It depends if the plot requires them to or not.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:47 pm

According to Toriyama, at least in regards to the Battle of Gods movie, Goku and Beerus were within the upper limits of the atmosphere and were still able to breathe in that extremely thin air.

From Volume #5 of the Freeza arc full-color manga in relation to the Battle of Gods movie.
What are your thoughts on the story you made having become an anime?

With manga, from the story to the art, everything is completed by drawing it myself. Nothing appears beyond what I’ve come up with myself. But with anime, I leave it up to other people, there’s a possibility that something greater than I myself imagined will be finished up, right? That’s the most enjoyable part of it! This time in particular, the battle scenes were greater than I had imagined. They were better by far than what I’d imagined! I was most concerned with the final battle, but when I was writing the story, no real image of it came to mind. With battles, there are really parts that you don’t understand unless you draw it in pictures…so I was worried about what I should do if there was no power in the centerpiece battle. But…the power was greater than I had imagined! Just as you’d expect from animation professionals! I thought, at the very least, I myself had never seen that sort of super-showy battle scene before.

I thought that things would get out of hand if they fought right there at Capsule Corporation, but naturally, the location changed. (laughs) To think that they’d go all the way into the stratosphere……but thinking about it, they’re both aliens5, after all. Maybe they can just barely breathe.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:27 pm

Saiyans can survive in the upper most atmosphere but not in space where there is no air. Its also way they can stay underwater so long.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:07 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:Saiyans can survive in the upper most atmosphere but not in space where there is no air. Its also way they can stay underwater so long.
When do they ever stay underwater for an especially long time?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Trickster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trickster » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:34 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:According to Toriyama, at least in regards to the Battle of Gods movie, Goku and Beerus were within the upper limits of the atmosphere and were still able to breathe in that extremely thin air.

From Volume #5 of the Freeza arc full-color manga in relation to the Battle of Gods movie.
What are your thoughts on the story you made having become an anime?

With manga, from the story to the art, everything is completed by drawing it myself. Nothing appears beyond what I’ve come up with myself. But with anime, I leave it up to other people, there’s a possibility that something greater than I myself imagined will be finished up, right? That’s the most enjoyable part of it! This time in particular, the battle scenes were greater than I had imagined. They were better by far than what I’d imagined! I was most concerned with the final battle, but when I was writing the story, no real image of it came to mind. With battles, there are really parts that you don’t understand unless you draw it in pictures…so I was worried about what I should do if there was no power in the centerpiece battle. But…the power was greater than I had imagined! Just as you’d expect from animation professionals! I thought, at the very least, I myself had never seen that sort of super-showy battle scene before.

I thought that things would get out of hand if they fought right there at Capsule Corporation, but naturally, the location changed. (laughs) To think that they’d go all the way into the stratosphere……but thinking about it, they’re both aliens5, after all. Maybe they can just barely breathe.
I'm afraid I couldn't get his point in volume 5.
Sorry for bad english. I'm not fluent in your language, so, if you want to correct some mistake of mine, please do it. I'll be grateful

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:04 pm

Trickster wrote: I'm afraid I couldn't get his point in volume 5.
In short, the point he was trying to make that I was referring to was the last line, where he talked about them (Goku and Beerus) fighting all the way into the stratosphere, and being able to survive in such thin air because they're both aliens.

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:34 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:Saiyans can survive in the upper most atmosphere but not in space where there is no air. Its also way they can stay underwater so long.
Vegeta on Namek when diving for dragon balls.

Goku when making Kamehameha blasts during the fight with Frieza. Odd however that Frieza nearly drowns him later though...

And though I am loathe to reference it, the time that Goku swam to the underwater cave in GT to look for the source of quakes.

LOL! If Team Four Star ever parodies that episode and they show where goku strips to start swimming, I hope Pan quotes Cell's "Okay but why though?" line! Ha ha ha!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:00 pm

cheddarsword wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Vegeta on Namek when diving for dragon balls.

Goku when making Kamehameha blasts during the fight with Frieza. Odd however that Frieza nearly drowns him later though...

And though I am loathe to reference it, the time that Goku swam to the underwater cave in GT to look for the source of quakes.

LOL! If Team Four Star ever parodies that episode and they show where goku strips to start swimming, I hope Pan quotes Cell's "Okay but why though?" line! Ha ha ha!
I said "for an extended period." Aside from the shooting lazerz, they did nothing a normal human couldn't do. They weren't underwater all that long.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

Trickster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trickster » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:59 am

Darkprince410 wrote:
In short, the point he was trying to make that I was referring to was the last line, where he talked about them (Goku and Beerus) fighting all the way into the stratosphere, and being able to survive in such thin air because they're both aliens.
Oh, I think it's a good explanation. It contradicts something inside the original manga?
Sorry for bad english. I'm not fluent in your language, so, if you want to correct some mistake of mine, please do it. I'll be grateful

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:44 am

Trickster wrote:
Darkprince410 wrote:
Oh, I think it's a good explanation. It contradicts something inside the original manga?
No, it didn't contradict anything in the original manga. It's just that, with the Freeza arc volumes of the full-color manga, unlike the other arcs, rather than it being Q & A's and stuff related to that particular volume's story content, Toriyama was interviewed about things related to the Battle of Gods movie. It wasn't included in the volume because it had anything to do with that particular volume, just it was a bonus interview with Toriyama about the movie.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:08 am

Of course they cannot.

Goku vs Beerus was in the upper layers of the atmosphere and Whis' bubble in RoF had air in it, they were humans inside it too after all.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:22 am

Short answer: no, not really.

===

Long Answer:

Vegeta died in RoF because he couldn't survive in space, not the planet's explosion itself, and all instances of Saiyans supposedly surviving in space were either filler or explained to be thin atmosphere.

===

Yes, I don't like it either. If they could survive in space, then they could go all-out in terms of blowing up things left and right :P

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:25 am

Legendary super saiyans can. And that is a thing now so... yeah. Of course, they have to pull a Green Lantern to do it but the result is the same.

Pickle_Jar
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pickle_Jar » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:30 am

I kinda headcanon Saiyajins as having lungs that are way more efficient than human lungs. Basically they can get more oxygen out of a single breath than humans do. This lets them breathe safely in environments with less oxygen, and in its total absence they'll stay conscious and avoid brain damage for several minutes longer than humans. They'll still pass out and die eventually, however it won't be as fast as a human. A human's brain starts to die after around 3 minutes, but a Saiyajin's might take 30. This is just a headcanon though, so don't count it official.

Of course, the time it takes to die from lack of oxygen would make death by drowning, choking, smothering/suffocation or anything that causes respiratory failure a lot more unpleasant...

ETA to fix wording.
:mrgreen: I'm a cucumber, so don't put me in the pickle jar! :mrgreen:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Accordingly to Raditz in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, no. Saiyans can't survive in space.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gorou » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:04 pm

No. Goku, at worst, can withstand only short transits in the stratosphere

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:21 pm

Gorou wrote:No. Goku, at worst, can withstand only short transits in the stratosphere
I dunno about "short." I mean, Goku and Beerus have a full-on conversation up there, after beating the shit out of each other, and Goku's not gasping for air or anything.

I'm with the guy above who said that Saiyan lungs are just more efficient. Probably due to the Saiyan body being conditioned for higher levels of gravity than an Earthling's or something.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:52 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Gorou wrote:No. Goku, at worst, can withstand only short transits in the stratosphere
I dunno about "short." I mean, Goku and Beerus have a full-on conversation up there, after beating the shit out of each other, and Goku's not gasping for air or anything.

I'm with the guy above who said that Saiyan lungs are just more efficient. Probably due to the Saiyan body being conditioned for higher levels of gravity than an Earthling's or something.
He did say "At worst". Not "At best".