Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:27 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:Super Saiyan Rage is stupid
In what way, how it happened? The way it happened? The design? The lack of formal explanation within the series? I am personally indifferent on the form.
All of the above.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:17 pm

I liked the Para Para Brothers, they were pretty entertaining.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Beek King
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Beek King » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:12 pm

The Spirit Sword, too.
It took all of Earth's energy to finish of Kid Buu but a bunch of barely alive survivors are enough to cut Zamasu who's magnitudes more powerful?
Do whatever you like, ghost.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:15 pm

Beek King wrote:
The Spirit Sword, too.
It took all of Earth's energy to finish of Kid Buu but a bunch of barely alive survivors are enough to cut Zamasu who's magnitudes more powerful?
Two different situations and methods
Trunks used the energy to form a sword and slice Zamasu in half
Goku used the energy raw to engulf Buu and to completely destroy him

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:24 pm

My unpopular opinion (at least in Kanzenshuu about Super):

The Genki Dama sword and everything involving it was brillant. Thematically fitting for Future Trunks character.
This piece of writing is up there with the best things ever writen in the franchise.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:09 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:My unpopular opinion (at least in Kanzenshuu about Super):

The Genki Dama sword and everything involving it was brillant. Thematically fitting for Future Trunks character.
This piece of writing is up there with the best things ever writen in the franchise.
It was cool, I guess. It was also a Deus ex Machina of the absolute worst kind. Not good writing by the furthest stretch of the imagination.
Retired.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:02 pm

I prefer toyotaro take on god forms,is cool that SSG and ssb have an element of strategy and usages in that continuity,ssg for stamina, ssb for massive attacks
    Is very intriguing, vegeta and goku Better use SSG again in the ToP
    Last edited by The gr on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Mostly active on discord.

Neo-Makaiōshin
    I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:10 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:

It was cool, I guess. It was also a Deus ex Machina of the absolute worst kind. Not good writing by the furthest stretch of the imagination.
    In my book, Deus Ex Machinas are not a bad thing, so it doesn't bother me.
    Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

ABED
    Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:20 pm

They're bad because it's inherently contrived plot device used to get a character out of a problem and often breaks the internal logic of the fictional world. Deus ex machina is bad writing.
    The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
    Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dbzfan94
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:59 am

Beek King wrote:
    The Spirit Sword, too.
    Yeah, these two (especially the Spirit Sword) ruined the Black arc for me

jeffbr92
    Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:47 pm

Gog wrote:
    jeffbr92 wrote:
    Gog wrote:Beerus cleaning Freeza's clock was the worst retcon in the entire franchise. It essentially destroys Freeza's entire belief as the strongest in the universe. It also makes him seem like the greatest moron in existence for not training so that he could surpass him. Rather, instead choosing to continue on as normal. It also breaks the fact that Freeza has never actually transformed past his third form against any threat.

Heck, Freeza should never have known about Beerus in the first place.
    Sorry, English is not my first language but what you mean by "cleaning Freeza's clock"?
    Alright then, Cleaning Someone's Clock is a term that means someone has beaten someone up, badly.
    But when did Beerus had beaten Freeza?
    Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Beek King
    Not-So-Newbie

Post by Beek King » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:01 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
    Gog wrote:
    jeffbr92 wrote:
    Sorry, English is not my first language but what you mean by "cleaning Freeza's clock"?
    Alright then, Cleaning Someone's Clock is a term that means someone has beaten someone up, badly.
    But when did Beerus had beaten Freeza?
    I think it's mostly about the fact that Freeza had actually met Beerus who had threatened him.
    I don't like this insertion of Beerus to everything either. The thing that ruined it the most for me is the revelation that it was actually Beerus who had ordered Freeza to blow up Planet Vegeta - it completely ruins the crux of Goku's and Vegeta's origin and the impact of Freeza's defeat. It's as if Freeza wouldn't have any reason to blow it up himself as was already established in the series (the Saiyans are too much of a threat to him) or Beerus couldn't do it on his own if he wanted it for shits and giggles anyway.
    Do whatever you like, ghost.

Khin
    I Live Here

Post by Khin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:06 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:But when did Beerus had beaten Freeza?
    It’s a comment from Toriyama in Volume “F”.
    Dragon Ball Volume F - Akira Toriyama Script Comments wrote:What’s the relationship between Beerus and Freeza?
    Even Freeza is no match for the God of Destruction Beerus, no matter what he does! Since they both destroy stuff, they got along reasonably well, but one time Freeza had his clock cleaned when he got carried away and made Beerus angry.

Kanassa
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:51 pm

Beek King wrote: I think it's mostly about the fact that Freeza had actually met Beerus who had threatened him.
    I don't like this insertion of Beerus to everything either. The thing that ruined it the most for me is the revelation that it was actually Beerus who had ordered Freeza to blow up Planet Vegeta - it completely ruins the crux of Goku's and Vegeta's origin and the impact of Freeza's defeat. It's as if Freeza wouldn't have any reason to blow it up himself as was already established in the series (the Saiyans are too much of a threat to him) or Beerus couldn't do it on his own if he wanted it for shits and giggles anyway.
    Was it ever actually stated that Beerus ordered Frieza to blow up Vegeta outside of the movie? Because from what I remember, the dialogue more implied that Beerus simply gave his blessing.

Kanassa wrote:

The Patrolman
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:13 pm

I like SSJ Rose Goku Black english voice. The voice captures the differences between Goku and Black in the Jap version. Black has a more soft spoken than Goku does. Sean using this "british" voice actually suits Black than the Christian Bale Batman voice he was using for Base Goku Black.
    The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Lord Beerus
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:42 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
    Jinzoningen MULE wrote:

In my book, Deus Ex Machinas are not a bad thing, so it doesn't bother me.
    Ironically, the whole Genki Dama Sword business made things even worse when you think about. Because is lead to Zamasu's immortal soul merging with universe in Future Trunks' timeline and killing all of the remaining earthlings and everything in Future Trunks timeline being wiped out as a result to prevent Zamasu's essence from spreading to other timelines. So, ironically, if anything, the Genki Dama Sword moment is actually a subtle deconstruction of the Deus ex Machina plot device because it only served to create even more issues instead of solving them, like a proper "Deus ex Machina" plot device would. Zamasu may have died at the hand of what was basically Deus ex Machina but he also technically succeeded through it. So... it's actually a deconstruction, a reconstruction and subversion of the plot device.

Bansho64
    I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:06 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Ironically, the whole Genki Dama Sword business made things even worse when you think about. Because is lead to Zamasu's immortal soul merging with universe in Future Trunks' timeline and killing all of the remaining earthlings and everything in Future Trunks timeline being wiped out as a result to prevent Zamasu's essence from spreading to other timelines. So, ironically, if anything, the Genki Dama Sword moment is actually a subtle deconstruction of the Deus ex Machina plot device because it only served to create even more issues instead of solving them, like a proper "Deus ex Machina" plot device would. Zamasu may have died at the hand of what was basically Deus ex Machina but he also technically succeeded through it. So... it's actually a deconstruction, a reconstruction and subversion of the plot device.
    Wow, that just gave me a whole other reason to hate that ending. How awful can an ending be when it can't even manage to pull an asspull correctly.

dbs fanboy
    Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:21 am

Bansho64 wrote:
    Lord Beerus wrote: Ironically, the whole Genki Dama Sword business made things even worse when you think about. Because is lead to Zamasu's immortal soul merging with universe in Future Trunks' timeline and killing all of the remaining earthlings and everything in Future Trunks timeline being wiped out as a result to prevent Zamasu's essence from spreading to other timelines. So, ironically, if anything, the Genki Dama Sword moment is actually a subtle deconstruction of the Deus ex Machina plot device because it only served to create even more issues instead of solving them, like a proper "Deus ex Machina" plot device would. Zamasu may have died at the hand of what was basically Deus ex Machina but he also technically succeeded through it. So... it's actually a deconstruction, a reconstruction and subversion of the plot device.
    Wow, that just gave me a whole other reason to hate that ending. How awful can an ending be when it can't even manage to pull an asspull correctly.
    I kinda love it because it's like a middle finger to Trunks's asspulls during the arc :lol: (also a middle finger for me after killing the only two humans that i cared about).
    I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

jeffbr92
    Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:25 pm

The Patrolman wrote:I like SSJ Rose Goku Black english voice. The voice captures the differences between Goku and Black in the Jap version. Black has a more soft spoken than Goku does. Sean using this "british" voice actually suits Black than the Christian Bale Batman voice he was using for Base Goku Black.
    I think it was a little bit forced, english Zamasu is awful tho
    Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Dragon Ball Ireland
    I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon May 01, 2017 7:03 pm

Apart from some scenes where the green tint really shows the Kai Buu saga remaster isn't bad. Not spectacular like Kai 1.0's remastering but watchable.
    Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: