Goten and Trunks getting shortchanged in DBS

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Goten and Trunks getting shortchanged in DBS

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:12 pm

kinisking wrote: It can be done. JoJo does it really well. It changes main characters all the time, and still remains just as good. Yeah, comparing is done. However, if the new cast are good characters then comparing doesn't really matter. Main characters aren't the sole reason for watching the show either. There's many other things that make a show unique.
I am not disagreeing, that's why I wrote it's extremely difficult to do, not impossible for many shows...

But how will Dragonball even work without Goku?

Goku is such a unique character replacing him seems impossible, I can't phantom anyone else taking his place..
Will it even remain Dragonball anymore Without him..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:39 pm

Good riddance, The last thing I want to see is Goten and Trunks doing whatever it is they do with their screen time.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:58 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
kinisking wrote: It can be done. JoJo does it really well. It changes main characters all the time, and still remains just as good. Yeah, comparing is done. However, if the new cast are good characters then comparing doesn't really matter. Main characters aren't the sole reason for watching the show either. There's many other things that make a show unique.
I am not disagreeing, that's why I wrote it's extremely difficult to do, not impossible for many shows...

Goku is such a unique character replacing him seems impossible, I can't phantom anyone else taking his place..
I think Pan and Oob are potentially good replacements . They can be developed into similar chatacters. I'd obviously prefer Gohan, but it's understandable why Toriyama and other fans wouldn't. The dudes a completely different character and it would probably change the show.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:11 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:

Goku did nothing for like 50% of DBZ's episodes. It's very easy to write a show where Goku gets very little to no screentime.

A large chunk of the Saiyan saga, Namek Saga, Cell saga and Buu saga has Goku either doing absolutely nothing or out of the picture.

I think Super has made people forget how little screentime Goku got in DBZ compared to all the other characters. The only real major focus on him is during the fight with Freeza.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:57 pm

precita wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:

Goku did nothing for like 50% of DBZ's episodes. It's very easy to write a show where Goku gets very little to no screentime.

A large chunk of the Saiyan saga, Namek Saga, Cell saga and Buu saga has Goku either doing absolutely nothing or out of the picture.

I think Super has made people forget how little screentime Goku got in DBZ compared to all the other characters. The only real major focus on him is during the fight with Freeza.
He was barely there but he was still a reaally important character in the show. If db pulls a Naruto, i would love if everything was set like 200 years in the future with only a few members from the current cast alive (Piccolo, Dende , Buu, Roshi and maybe the androids depending on how do they age) and filling the role of "teachers", with Goku and Vegeta death but still somehow present as big legends from the past (it would be cool if multiple statues were built).
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:04 pm

omaro34 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:I see no problem here. If the production crew wanted to do anything big with them then they would.
Exactly, Toei simply doesn't care about them. Hell, they don't even care enough about them to change their designs showing that they have aged! Its blatant considering they should have looked a bit older by now because they look the exact same now as they did back at the Buu Arc.
It's a combination of Toei and Toriyama not really giving a fudge about those guy, to be honest. They have no plans for either character, so they remain static in characterization and in design.
Ki Breaker wrote:I ask this, since their conception, when has goten and trunks individually done anything cool or worthwhile?
I often ask myself this question and struggle to come up with an answer. Like, as individual character goes, they really bring nothing to the table that is unique of intriguing.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:46 am

I'm sure the writers are well aware of that and expect them to rectify this in one of the coming arcs.

That said, DB Super has really passable, if not good cast use and character development, definitely better than GT.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Well, DBZ used him comparatively sparingly and it still worked very well. He just has to be there, but doesn't need to be there all the time.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:43 am

Yeah it's sad. I really like Trunks and Goten, especially from EOZ. If they're not going to develop their character, Toei should at least age them. I mean Trunks is like 14 by this point.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:22 am

It's weird to think about because they were getting a lot screen back in Z era (including movies). And the show still targets that particular demographic.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:31 am

I think Goten and Trunks both suffer thanks to Gotenks' existence. They can't get too strong individually or Gotenks will be OP and break the story. Thanks, Gotenks. You really are the worst. :problem:

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:11 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:I think Goten and Trunks both suffer thanks to Gotenks' existence. They can't get too strong individually or Gotenks will be OP and break the story. Thanks, Gotenks. You really are the worst. :problem:
SS3 Gotenks was manhandled by base Vegeta..
He needs to get stonger..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:41 pm

Once Super goes past EOZ which will likely happen after the current arc, I think without a doubt Trunks and Goten will be major characters.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:22 pm

Them still being chibi in this doesn't bugging me to much. Afterall Krillin and Goku were still chibish when they were their age. Although its mostly Toei just being lazy for inbetween models. Funny enough, GT did have them look older in the flash back on the beach.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:16 pm

Between the Buu saga, Two Broly movies, The Yo Son Goku returns special, and the Hildegarne movie, Goten and Trunks have had quite a lot of time to become fan favourites.

Unfortunately Goten is at best a satellite character for Trunks and Gohan(although to Super's credit they're trying to implant small snippets of personality in him so he's not just Goku v2/the less interesting son of Goku/Trunks fusion partner) and Trunks himself will forever be in the shadow of his future self.

I hate to be that guy, but as characters they don't feel that interesting, and seem to exist almost entirely because a.) Trunks HAD to due to the Android Saga and b.) to introduce the concept of fusion...which was dropped almost as quickly as it was introduced.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:37 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:I think Goten and Trunks both suffer thanks to Gotenks' existence. They can't get too strong individually or Gotenks will be OP and break the story. Thanks, Gotenks. You really are the worst. :problem:
SS3 Gotenks was manhandled by base Vegeta..
He needs to get stonger..
Well, Goten and trunks have insane potential. Make them gods, and is there any reason why Gotenks shouldn't be the hero at the end of the day ? Gotta make Goku look good.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Mon May 01, 2017 10:13 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:Them still being chibi in this doesn't bugging me too much. Afterall Krillin and Goku were still chibish when they were their age.

Ignoring the whole Present Trunks/History of Trunks height inconsistency Goten on the other hand is pretty much the spitting image of Goku who at the age of 15 was still on the short side with Kuririn as you mentioned, so with Goten being 13 I definitely don't mind him being short. I could see it as...I dunno just another thing he inherited from Goku.

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Mon May 01, 2017 10:23 pm

I'm split on this. I don't really care a ton about Goten and never have (and believe that the Buu Saga would've progressed better without him or fusion; would have loved for present Trunks to become the savior with Gohan seemingly dead, and for him to train in the ROSAT (with Piccolo?).

I do wish Trunks had some more highlights though. I did like some of the interactions with he and his Future counterpart, and am liking the scenes with him and the young Pilaf crew and now with his sister. It would be nice to see him more involved in fights (though in his own right, as opposed to a part of a pair), or to see him helping Bulma with her inventions and such.