Dragon Ball Z ranks 176th in NHK "Best Anime" poll.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z ranks 176th in NHK "Best Anime" poll.

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Fri May 05, 2017 2:02 pm

That's undeniably true, but Dragon Ball (Z) -- now over 30 years of age -- has endured, in a big way. Worldwide. I don't see it going away any time soon. Some things possess a charm and a draw that can't be pinpointed down to quality of presentation, narrative consistency, or target age/gender demographics. The whole package needs to be considered which includes so many variables.

As has been pointed out, so many on this list are newer contemporary-type works. Can they endure? Or are they just a product of the times filling up space until the next fad comes along?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri May 05, 2017 3:02 pm

Dragonball endures because there's entire new gen of kids who get into the franchise for the first time every 5+ years who have never seen it before. To them it's all new.

Just like how the west wasn't introduced to Dragonball till the late 90's or early 2000's, another wave of fans came when Kai came out in the late 2000's, then more fans again when Super started in 2015. Plus people go back and watch what they missed or were too young to watch beforehand.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 05, 2017 3:06 pm

Super_Divine_Genki wrote:As has been pointed out, so many on this list are newer contemporary-type works. Can they endure? Or are they just a product of the times filling up space until the next fad comes along?
Everything ever is always asked of this. Nobody will know for decades and even then...so what? People like these shows now. That's all that matters right now.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Sat May 06, 2017 7:11 am

It's so cool to see Cardcaptor Sakura (カードキャプターさくら) listed so high (number eight). It really is both a charming show and an ambitious adaptation. A lot of careful thought and passion was put into its 70 episodes. And it being the oldest show listed in the top ten means it's popularity isn't just because of a passing fad.

Newer works are always going to dominate these types of list. People are more likely to remember a movie or show that came out in the past five or ten years, even if there are examples from 20, 30, or even 50 years ago that deserve to be ranked higher based on merit. That makes an older show making it so high all the more impressive. Art does have the power to stay in the public's mind for a long time, if it's good enough.

Personally, a lot of this list makes sense to me (even if Sword Art Online has no business showing up here!). Dragon Ball Z's contemporary rival, Yu Yu Hakusho (幽☆遊☆白書) made it in the top 100, and it is an altogether better show from the same genre. Other older works in the top 100 are either cultural juggernauts in Japan (Mobile Suit Gundam, Detective Conan, Pokémon), genuinely superior works of art (Cowboy Bebop, Future Boy Conan), or both.

It's also worth noting that people in Japan are far more likely to fondly remember Dragon Ball's manga (the main product in its home country) than the anime made to advertise said manga. Just look at how low the One Piece anime is in the ranking, despite the massive popularity of its source material in Japan. Anime based on super long battle manga simply don't leave as great an impression over there, it seems.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Sat May 06, 2017 12:27 pm

Well said. I'd assumed that the Dragon Ball anime was something so ingrained in Japanese culture that it would've been met with a higher ranking over there -- at least Top 100. Instead, both series are just kinda floating out at sea. I would've thought that Dragon Ball would be just as big a cultural icon or influence as Pokemon as well. And I thought that it was mainly the Pokemon video games that made it a juggernaut, and that the anime was just a cute one-dimensional series about capturing monsters -- that's one of the reasons that I brought up quality. The poll is based on anime series, which I'd clearly way overestimated Dragon Ball's status in its homeland.

Anyway, polls can say a lot or not much at all...

Edit: Wow, even here on this very forum, the Dragon Ball anime doesn't even make someone's Top 100 anime series.

(... where do you guys get the time...? :o )
Last edited by Super_Divine_Genki on Sat May 06, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sat May 06, 2017 12:36 pm

I couldn't even name 175 Animes, let alone 175 Animes that are better than Dragon Ball.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Son Vegito
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Vegito » Sat May 06, 2017 12:40 pm

Bleach ranked higher than DBZ, DB, Naruto and Slam Dunk.
Very strange list considering the popularity of some series.
And apparently Fate Stay Night UBW>Fate/Zero. Hell naw
And wtf Joker Game being so high...

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat May 06, 2017 1:12 pm

TheZFighter wrote:I couldn't even name 175 Animes, let alone 175 Animes that are better than Dragon Ball.
Hundreds of series are made a year. The west only airs a tiny selection of these titles a year. It's worth checking them out!
Last edited by JulieYBM on Sat May 06, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
bisexual milf

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Sat May 06, 2017 1:24 pm

where do people find time to watch this many anime?

and how the is Hunter x Hunter 2011 at the 381 place? according to this list there are over 380 animes that are better than the hunter x hunter 2011 one?

I'm sorry but this list is pure bs.

This is why I don't like the top best this thing list I find myself and a lot of people disagreeing with the entire list as well.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat May 06, 2017 2:18 pm

ChaosLordBrandon wrote: and how the is Hunter x Hunter 2011 at the 381 place? according to this list there are over 380 animes that are better than the hunter x hunter 2011 one?

I'm sorry but this list is pure bs.
What's so hard to understand that west entertaiment sensibilities =/= japan entertaiment sensibilities?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Sat May 06, 2017 2:20 pm

I'm surprised DBZ is so far above above DB on a Japanese poll, seeing as over there they're more aware of the fact it's all just one big story, while in the English speaking world there are lots of people who just saw DBZ and that's it, maybe the DBZ part of the story really just has more appeal because of how much of it is just a straight action show, maybe the comedy in DB is just not as universally liked as the action.

Also DB tied with Hellsing Ultimate, not the original Hellsing TV series just to clarify. Personally, I'm happy to see HxH 1999 so high up on the list, I expected the popularity vote to completely bury it far below the 2011 series (though I'm still surprised that the 2011 series is that much lower than DB, what even is this list)

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Sat May 06, 2017 2:45 pm

Deathbringer wrote:I'm surprised DBZ is so far above above DB on a Japanese poll
Yeah, that threw me off a bit. If anything, I would've expected Dragon Ball to be slightly higher ranked than Z in Japan.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat May 06, 2017 3:04 pm

Super_Divine_Genki wrote: Wow, even here on this very forum, the Dragon Ball anime doesn't even make someone's Top 100 anime series.

(... where do you guys get the time...? :o )
You're referring to me I guess. Well, it's all a matter of interest. I became a fan of the Japanese entertainment industry in recent years, not just strictly anime.

But, obviously anime stands out. To see an industry put out hundreds upon hundreds of animation works every year despite all the scheduling problems is one of the most unique things in entertainment I've ever seen. I became invested. I wanted to know more about the industry. Limiting myself to only one show isn't going to give me that knowledge. Unless that hunger to know more about the medium I like dies -- which I don't think it will anytime soon, I'll find myself time to watch anime. If you're interested in something, you'll find the time. I don't watch 100+ anime every year though.:lol: I highly doubt anyone does.

As for why Dragon Ball isn't in my top 100, it is pretty simple. I enjoy other things more than Dragon Ball and I don't think I'm the only one.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat May 06, 2017 3:07 pm

ChaosLordBrandon wrote:where do people find time to watch this many anime?
Many series air late at night, so they'll watch one or two titles a night, seven nights a week. With most series being only one or two cour long it's easy to watch a lot of different series in a year. This is to say nothing of Otaku existing for over thirty years, so it's easy to consume a lot, especially if you have free time outside of their work.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Sat May 06, 2017 3:26 pm

Deathbringer wrote:Also DB tied with Hellsing Ultimate, not the original Hellsing TV series just to clarify.
Correction has been made to the OP. Didn't realize that "Ultimate" was something added to the title for the English releases, so I just took the listed name at face value (and didn't think much of the year, as I thought the OVAs started being released later than 2006).

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Sun May 07, 2017 9:11 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:You're referring to me I guess. Well, it's all a matter of interest. I became a fan of the Japanese entertainment industry in recent years, not just strictly anime.

But, obviously anime stands out. To see an industry put out hundreds upon hundreds of animation works every year despite all the scheduling problems is one of the most unique things in entertainment I've ever seen. I became invested. I wanted to know more about the industry. Limiting myself to only one show isn't going to give me that knowledge. Unless that hunger to know more about the medium I like dies -- which I don't think it will anytime soon, I'll find myself time to watch anime. If you're interested in something, you'll find the time. I don't watch 100+ anime every year though.:lol: I highly doubt anyone does.

As for why Dragon Ball isn't in my top 100, it is pretty simple. I enjoy other things more than Dragon Ball and I don't think I'm the only one.
I wasn't referring to any one person in particular, as I noticed that a few people had shared similar thoughts about a Top 100.

Being someone that wasn't able to become an avid viewer of anime or media in general over the years, the thought that some people have seen hundreds of anime in their lifetime kinda blew my mental processes a bit. There's nothing wrong with that of course, and I hadn't considered that most series are short-running or mini-series. Quality over quantity. And what members like yourself, JulieYBM, Ajay, and others have been contributing in the form of how episode and series production works, the rotations of anime staff, the quality of varying studios and how each differ from another, info on the various notable animators and artists in the industry's history, etc. are one of my favorite aspects of Kanzenshuu. Prior to Super being a thing, I was completely in the fog about how the production of a Dragon Ball series or any anime series worked. Many of us are getting an education and insight that we'd otherwise not, thanks to you guys. :)

My friend got into anime through Dragon Ball Z back in the late 90's like myself, although he's dub only and I'm sub only. The difference is that he went on to see dozens of other anime over the years, where I've only seen Attack on Titan through recommendation. He's told me that there's so many better quality written series than DB, but I'm under the impression that he's only viewed those series (like Death Note, Code Geass, AoT, Berserk, Gundam Wing,etc.) once and moved on to the next one. Whereas with DBZ or even GT, he's revisited those many times (and I've never seen GT). I think that with DB(Z) there's something to be said about it just being an easy escape for viewers to go back to -- turn mind off and be entertained. I've tried getting him to check out the original DB series, but he can't be bothered. His opinion is that Super is a total "crapfest" (which I don't disagree with but still try to see it for what it is).[spoiler]The Planet Potafeu arc was his death knell. :P[/spoiler]
Last edited by Super_Divine_Genki on Sun May 07, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 07, 2017 9:29 am

Dragon Ball is made within such a...removed bubble of the Japanese animation industry. It really doesn't capture the wonder and depth of the capability of the industry like other series do. I definitely suggest checking out other titles outside the tiny bubble of this franchise.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Sun May 07, 2017 9:36 am

It's not that I refuse to watch or acknowledge other anime series, it's that I wasn't really a TV watcher growing up and that continued on into adult life. I was always doing other things to keep me busy. Even with Dragon Ball -- outside of my first couple years interest/obsession -- I've been very casual. I've just got back into it within the past 3 months. There's so much with the lore and characters that I like, that it's more than enough to keep my time occupied

I liked the first season of Attack on Titan, but I haven't gone back to rewatch any of it.
Last edited by Super_Divine_Genki on Sun May 07, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun May 07, 2017 9:38 am

@Super_Divine_Genki Oh, Dragon Ball's entertainment value is huge. I'd be lying if I denied that. Thanks for putting me at the same level as Jacob and Ajay :lol: but I don't think I am.

If you need suggestions for anime watching I'd have no problem in doing that. With most shows being one or two cour, it's not that time consuming anymore. Not as much as your long running shows at least.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Sun May 07, 2017 10:06 am

Perhaps not, but you aspire to be. And you at least have some experience and familiarity with how the industry works. That's good enough for me to say that you qualify to a degree.

Thanks. I spend no time in front of a TV and very little on a PC, so I need to get super-motivated before I can consider other options -- which isn't easy for me at the moment. I think that I deliberately on some level cutoff most influences that are out there rather than being bombarded by 1000 other things that may inhibit formulation of thought or ideas within the parameters of reality. It's a matter of years-long habits. I try to keep my head as empty as possible. Weird, I know. ha!