How come people want to rush the arc now?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GoldenOozaru

Re: How come people want to rush the arc now?

Post by GoldenOozaru » Thu May 11, 2017 12:42 am

In my own opinion, the only time they spent reasonable time with an arc was with the introduction of super saiyan god vs beerus. I loved how they retconed the movie and made the fight/story last longer. And with this universal survival arc, I hope they slow it down even more! I want to see more training and character development. There is what, only 8 hours or so left until the tournament? There's not enough time to get background info on all the fighters. We're only getting a little info from universe 6 and universe 11. Not knowing anything about basically 60-70ish of the other fighters, makes for a lot of guessing/anticipation.
Hopefully the tournament doesn't start for at least another 8 episodes or so, the longer it takes and the more dbs episodes we get, the happier I'll be! Lol.
But seriously, I feel as if the whole story is being rushed compared to how many new characters are being introduced. In dragonball, we are used to getting to know a few people at a time. But right now we are being introduced to 11 new supreme kais, 11 new angels, 11 new destroyers, and then were about to be introduced to over 50 of the strongest fighters from 6 other universes. It's a lot to soak in, so it needs to slow down lol. Their is a huge potential for a lot of new material to write about. The more we get the better! Take your time Toriyama! !!!

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Thu May 11, 2017 6:18 am

DBZ's pacing shouldn't really be used as a measuring stick, since filler there was pretty much necessary and unavoidable due to the circumstances. If anything, the pacing should be compared with that of Kai (minus the Buu arc, hehe)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 11, 2017 2:07 pm

For some people, the recruitment episodes don't feel justified in existing because, even though some fans know the circumstances of what the team will be, the content of the episodes themselves don't provide enough perspective or development for the characters who will be taking part to make the Tournament Of Power itself feel more of a high stakes event than it already is.

Of course YMMV. Some fans are just satisfied enough that characters like Krillin, Android 17, Tien and Roshi are given some time in the limelight before they eventually fade into obscurity once the Universal Survival arc is over.

Personally, I've enjoyed the recruitment episodes and have only found the space poacher episode with Goku and 17 and Tien/Roshi episode to really feel lacking of any genuine content. It must also be said that for many Super is the first experience for some Dragon Ball fans in watching a Dragon Ball show with new content on a weekly basis. Some people may just be impatient.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sat May 13, 2017 9:35 pm

Saturnine wrote:DBZ's pacing shouldn't really be used as a measuring stick, since filler there was pretty much necessary and unavoidable due to the circumstances. If anything, the pacing should be compared with that of Kai (minus the Buu arc, hehe)
Kai's pacing should be used though. The arcs taking, on average, ~50 episodes (sometimes less, sometimes more) allows for proper buildup, major twists and turns, room to breathe, developement etc. without dragging too much like original Z. Super's arcs been roughly twice shorter before Universal Survival arc came (and GT did the same thing). I think the current pacing is just right.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat May 13, 2017 10:01 pm

Basaku wrote:
Saturnine wrote:DBZ's pacing shouldn't really be used as a measuring stick, since filler there was pretty much necessary and unavoidable due to the circumstances. If anything, the pacing should be compared with that of Kai (minus the Buu arc, hehe)
Kai's pacing should be used though...
Why? It's certainly more convenient, but it's also unnecessarily arbitrary. If Kai had legitimately been a manga cut of the series, I could get behind using it as a measure for new Dragon Ball's pacing, but it's only a "Toriyama Cut" in name.
Retired.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sat May 13, 2017 10:12 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Basaku wrote:
Kai's pacing should be used though...
Why? It's certainly more convenient, but it's also unnecessarily arbitrary. If Kai had legitimately been a manga cut of the series, I could get behind using it as a measure for new Dragon Ball's pacing, but it's only a "Toriyama Cut" in name.
Does it matter if it's "Toriyama Cut" in name only really? It's infintiely better paced than dragging original Z or the rushed GT arcs so why not use that as the template for Super (and future series) going forward? Basically yearly arcs of major plot

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat May 13, 2017 10:15 pm

Basaku wrote:Does it matter if it's "Toriyama Cut" in name only really? It's infintiely better paced than dragging original Z or the rushed GT arcs so why not use that as the template for Super (and future series) going forward? Basically yearly arcs of major plot
Because it's arbitrary, and that makes it useless when judging the validity of a DB Arc's pacing. It doesn't really matter that what's better if there's no useful precedent behind it.
Retired.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sat May 13, 2017 10:19 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Basaku wrote:Does it matter if it's "Toriyama Cut" in name only really? It's infintiely better paced than dragging original Z or the rushed GT arcs so why not use that as the template for Super (and future series) going forward? Basically yearly arcs of major plot
Because it's arbitrary, and that makes it useless when judging the validity of a DB Arc's pacing. It doesn't really matter that what's better if there's no useful precedent behind it.
??? There doesn't need to be a precedent to anything, if it works it works. Point of reference is equally useful and thus Super already got whole spectrum of it - the draggin Z, recut Kai, rushing GT arcs to evaluate and draw conclusions what format of sagas seem to work for DB best.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat May 13, 2017 11:32 pm

More training episodes the better. It's actually a shame that 18 never got her own proper episode, and Piccolo and Tien were just kinda treated like afterthoughts.

I can't understand the rush to get to a tournament we know is coming eventually over proper build-up episodes for the characters. If it was up to me we'd get another 5 or so training episodes after the current one. I would have loved to see 18 fight 17 or Krillin for a whole ep, or more Piccolo/Tien focus.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon May 15, 2017 9:23 am

Like i said in one of previous topics, Super feels like DBZ, with its slower pacing and lots of "filler" character reactions at what is going on, if someone is new fan, and came to Super right after watching Kai, they might be surprised at why everything is slower paced now.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon May 15, 2017 12:57 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Wait what? While it may not be perfect Kai exists only to create a streamlined version of the series based infinitely more closely to the manga. Its the only thing you can conpare pacing to. What your saying makes no sense to me.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon May 15, 2017 10:31 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Wait what? While it may not be perfect Kai exists only to create a streamlined version of the series based infinitely more closely to the manga. Its the only thing you can compare pacing to. What your saying makes no sense to me.
You can compare them on some bases, but you can't use Kai as the basis of comparison for the validity or quality of the pacing of new material doesn't work. You need something better than "I like this better" for it to be taken seriously. Also, Kai is a remarkably measuring stick simply due to the fact the pace is entirely artificial. You'd be better off comparing it with some other anime that isn't constrained by a manga.
Retired.

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Tue May 16, 2017 3:43 am

I haven't complained on these episodes, though I should start here :P

For me I was intrigued by the plot of this arc as we still don't know what will happen to the universes at the end. The obvious and happy ending will be that no Universe will be erased but after the Black arc you probably should think about other possibilities since Trunks didn't get a very happy ending. I was so eager to just hit the conclusion of this arc since its telling me all the world building is going to disappear and that would be so sad if it really happens. All the new characters from Universe 6, Beerus' twin brother, Gowasu and many other characters who we still don't know much about are going to be erased.

But we get these recruitment episodes in which Goku avoids telling people the world is going to get destroyed, so he's offering money to everyone which isn't as interesting as watching their reactions if he actually told them the truth. Also, what some people said earlier, these episodes were so uninteresting, we could have had less from U7 which participants we already know are joining and have more from other universes. We still don't know about some of the characters shown in the opening (like the black fox, or the female alien fighting Vegeta, or even Jiren, we just know he's the strongest but nothing else). Super is boring right now.

Thankfully these recruiting episodes are coming to an end now, right? :? :think:

I just hope after recruiting the last non expected member of U7 we go straight to the open ceremony and then right into the tournament.
Its been almost 10 episodes of recruting I can't take them anymore. Just introduce the other characters in the tournament by watching their fights and stories between battle if they want to do that but get to the tournament already >_<
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue May 16, 2017 6:23 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Because it's arbitrary, and that makes it useless when judging the validity of a DB Arc's pacing. It doesn't really matter that what's better if there's no useful precedent behind it.
Wait what? While it may not be perfect Kai exists only to create a streamlined version of the series based infinitely more closely to the manga. Its the only thing you can compare pacing to. What your saying makes no sense to me.
You can compare them on some bases, but you can't use Kai as the basis of comparison for the validity or quality of the pacing of new material doesn't work. You need something better than "I like this better" for it to be taken seriously. Also, Kai is a remarkably measuring stick simply due to the fact the pace is entirely artificial. You'd be better off comparing it with some other anime that isn't constrained by a manga.
It isnt a matter of I like this better. Its a matter of this is the actual material in the actual manga with minimal (of course still a little) filler.

Its not artificial at all in my opinion. Its the actual story with 95% of the filler removed which to me indicates its how the story ould be paced.

Fwiw I dont think every arc needs to be 50 episodes. All the arcs up until Future Trunks I thought were paced well enough for what they were. We didnt need extended BoG or RoF unless they added to the plotline.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"