Was there a place for Yamcha & Chiaotzu in Resurrection 'F' (Dragon Ball Z/Super)?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Israelite Wolfman
Banned

Re: Was there a place for Yamcha & Chiaotzu in Resurrection 'F' (Dragon Ball Z/Super)?

Post by Israelite Wolfman » Sat May 20, 2017 7:07 am

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:yes he Yamcha could'v easily replaced roshi

i mean Roshi is weaker than 23th tenkaichi budokai Yamcha , its strange how he was able beat frieza's soldiers effortlessly
The power of merchandising, that's how suddenly Android 17 can go toe to toe with a FAR STRONGER THAN KID BUU EPOCH Goku and WORTHLESS-IN-DBZ Roshi can now defeat Tien (who in weaker phases could hold on Semi-Perfect Cell for a while) without breaking a sweat when Roshi is not holding anything back. Just make it seems via words (without any seen documentation) each one of them "was secretly training this WHOLE time" as shown in the recent episodes of Dragon Ball Super (86-89).

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: Was there a place for Yamcha & Chiaotzu in Resurrection 'F' (Dragon Ball Z/Super)?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:32 pm

They had waaaaaayyyyyy more business being there than Muten Roshi's old ass.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Big Green The Yoshi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Green The Yoshi » Sun May 21, 2017 1:26 am

Yamcha, yes... Chaozu, no. Hell, I'd sooner put Yajirobe in FNF than Chaozu... LOL.

Israelite Wolfman
Banned

Post by Israelite Wolfman » Sun May 21, 2017 4:13 am

Big Green The Yoshi wrote:Yamcha, yes... Chaozu, no. Hell, I'd sooner put Yajirobe in FNF than Chaozu... LOL.
Let's do a brief comparison between these two, shall we:

* Chiaotzu: can fly, can use ki, has psychic powers, trained under King Kai, keeps training with Tien all his life.
* Yajirobe: never learned how to fly or to use ki, quit training ~20 years ago, probably never crossed the power level of 1000.

Conclusion: Chiaotzu roflstomps Yajirobe without a doubt. :lol:

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun May 21, 2017 5:16 am

Yamucha? Yeah, I'd have loved to have seen him contribute.

But if MistareFusion has taught me anything, it's that there's barely a place in Dragon Ball as a whole from Chiaozu, never mind RoF.

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Sun May 21, 2017 12:34 pm

Rory wrote: But if MistareFusion has taught me anything, it's that there's barely a place in Dragon Ball as a whole from Chiaozu, never mind RoF.
But why not? He trained under Kaio, trained under God and trains with Tenshinhan all the time. My thing is, why not put his training to use? Certainly, he can handle some no-name fodder.

Not to mention he's the only Z fighter who mainly relies on Psychic powers, they didn't work on Nappa as he was powering up back in the Saiyan Arc...but why not buff them? Make him like Jean Gray from Marvel or something.

Israelite Wolfman
Banned

Post by Israelite Wolfman » Sun May 21, 2017 4:16 pm

MainJPW wrote:
Rory wrote: But if MistareFusion has taught me anything, it's that there's barely a place in Dragon Ball as a whole from Chiaozu, never mind RoF.
But why not? He trained under Kaio, trained under God and trains with Tenshinhan all the time. My thing is, why not put his training to use? Certainly, he can handle some no-name fodder.

Not to mention he's the only Z fighter who mainly relies on Psychic powers, they didn't work on Nappa as he was powering up back in the Saiyan Arc...but why not buff them? Make him like Jean Gray from Marvel or something.
The ending of your comment is lovely/ideal for Chiaotzu but we know Toriyama is not the best user of characters who don't relay on sheer power. Besides, I never got the whole "big whoop" of Frieza's 1000 soldiers army in RoF, they are just fodder weaker than the one he had in the Namek Saga, their quantity does not matter if their quality (as individuals and as a force) is garbage. I can see the battle with them goes pretty much fun (without a risk to the Z-Fighters) even if the heroes are HEAVILY suppressed (excluding Roshi and Jaco).
Last edited by Israelite Wolfman on Sun May 21, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Green The Yoshi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Green The Yoshi » Sun May 21, 2017 4:21 pm

Israelite Wolfman wrote:
Big Green The Yoshi wrote:Yamcha, yes... Chaozu, no. Hell, I'd sooner put Yajirobe in FNF than Chaozu... LOL.
Let's do a brief comparison between these two, shall we:

* Chiaotzu: can fly, can use ki, has psychic powers, trained under King Kai, keeps training with Tien all his life.
* Yajirobe: never learned how to fly or to use ki, quit training ~20 years ago, probably never crossed the power level of 1000.

Conclusion: Chiaotzu roflstomps Yajirobe without a doubt. :lol:
Chaozu is stronger in the Manga, but Yajirobe is overall much more relevant in the Manga is what I mean to say.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Sun May 21, 2017 8:32 pm

There clearly was, but considering how these two are treated in general, it might be for the best.
Chiaoutzu would get scared against a weak opponent, and unlike Krillin who also did due to his fear of Frieza, would probably get defeated by fodder going by his amazing win streak. Guy got scared of one of the dojo apprentices with a tag on their face, and all they did was float around like lumps of wood.

Yamcha would probably get blown up for a particularly unfunny gag, but it'd be great to see him demolish a Saibamen army solo.

Honestly seeing the five earthling warriors combine their abilities to surpress a Sashimi level foe would have been great and could have lead into this sudden 'importance of teamwork' theme we now have going on.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun May 21, 2017 10:10 pm

I'm trying to remember if Chaozu could paralyze multiple people at once. If so then he would have been very helpful being able to immobilize multiple Freeza Soldiers at once. Yamchas Sokidan would be pretty useful too if he could bounce it off multiple soldiers like a pinball.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun May 21, 2017 10:20 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:I'm trying to remember if Chaozu could paralyze multiple people at once. If so then he would have been very helpful being able to immobilize multiple Freeza Soldiers at once.
Even if he was previously unable to, there's no reason he couldn't show up to the fight with some new tricks up his sleeve.

Israelite Wolfman
Banned

Post by Israelite Wolfman » Mon May 22, 2017 4:53 am

Akyon wrote:There clearly was, but considering how these two are treated in general, it might be for the best.
Chiaoutzu would get scared against a weak opponent, and unlike Krillin who also did due to his fear of Frieza, would probably get defeated by fodder going by his amazing win streak. Guy got scared of one of the dojo apprentices with a tag on their face, and all they did was float around like lumps of wood.

Yamcha would probably get blown up for a particularly unfunny gag, but it'd be great to see him demolish a Saibamen army solo.

Honestly seeing the five earthling warriors combine their abilities to surpress a Sashimi level foe would have been great and could have lead into this sudden 'importance of teamwork' theme we now have going on.
I don't see why you have to be so pessimistic about the old DB Gang, Chiaotzu can sense he's stronger than these trash of a fodder and settle things by his own. The dojo student only made him step backwards for a second before he got over his so called "fear" and beat these possessed students with much ease.

Besides, the Saibaman joke of jihad act won't be repeating itself in this scenario, as there are no more Saibamen (as it seems) and the Frieza soldiers weren't suicide bombers, they came to fight in melee and ki techniques without throwing themselves as meat shell of bombs (in the Movie, Manga & Arc).

I wish Shisami would be an enemy the Humans could have overcame by working together, but he's more fitting into being Piccolo's rival while Tagoma is Gohan's.

Cypher
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cypher » Mon May 22, 2017 12:39 pm

It would be nice if, given the ostensible 'strategy' and 'teamwork' to be employed in the upcoming tournament in Super, the humans get some opportunity to shine in that vein at some point in the future; of course, it remains to be seen to what extent the strategic elements will actually make an appearance in favour of mere strength-based fighting... and whether, even if this does turn out to be the focus of the tournament, it carries over into anything later on.

As for the thread question, I definitely think they could have included Yamcha and Chaozu, even if only 'why the hell not?' (albeit counter-arguments present themselves readily to mind, viz. how much of the gang fighting does one REALLY need to see before Goku and Vegeta turn up, the cost of the voice actors, etc etc)- disregarding the fact that I'm biased in that Yamcha's one of my favourite characters and I find the ongoing Super 'joke' increasingly dull, not to condescend to mention the tedious 'death meme' thing... but I'd better stop complaining lest someone accuse me of being 'butthurt' :lol:

Israelite Wolfman
Banned

Post by Israelite Wolfman » Mon May 22, 2017 12:44 pm

Cypher wrote:but I'd better stop complaining lest someone accuse me of being 'butthurt' :lol:
Take the 'F' out of Resurrection 'F' and don't give it to no one! Do what you believe in! You want Yamcha in? so do many others, screw them haters! :D

Cypher
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cypher » Mon May 22, 2017 12:49 pm

Israelite Wolfman wrote:
Cypher wrote:but I'd better stop complaining lest someone accuse me of being 'butthurt' :lol:
Take the 'F' out of Resurrection 'F' and don't give it to no one! Do what you believe in! You want Yamcha in? so do many others, screw them haters! :D
It's funny, I've noticed lately that alongside the usual Yamcha fans there are people who used to hate him but are starting to feel sorry for him because of how much of a chump they're making of him in Super etc (although of course there are still those who really hate Yamcha and constantly mock him, which is... fair enough I guess), and I guess the fact that his 'death pose' is popular in Japan at least makes him somewhat notable ¬_¬ If only he'd ever get a chance to fight again! I get that he's not got the best track record, and supposedly gave up fighting before the Buu arc, but I don't know what it is that is supposed to be quite so irksome about the character that he's derided as much as he is.

Israelite Wolfman
Banned

Post by Israelite Wolfman » Mon May 22, 2017 1:03 pm

Cypher wrote:
Israelite Wolfman wrote:and supposedly gave up fighting before the Buu arc
I agree with all that you've said :clap: , but this caught my eye: Hasn't Krillin did the same thing and continued on doing so before the Battle of Gods took place (the placement may have been shortened to later the same year Kid Buu died in, Age 774, in DBS) and in RoF (he was rusty in that story) and in the Future Trunks Arc (where he hit rock bottom and even "normal" bullets could hurt him)? Nobody seemed to care when this happen cause he was always putted back in the front lines IN NO TIME, Yamcha had to be killed by Super Buu to train for a day or two and reached the level he rivals Krillin as the STRONGEST Human and able to easily solo Olibu and Winged Gorilla (don't care if these were fillers by Toei, it happened in real world history and was re-done in DBZ Kai).

Cypher
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cypher » Mon May 22, 2017 1:10 pm

Israelite Wolfman wrote:
Cypher wrote:
Israelite Wolfman wrote:and supposedly gave up fighting before the Buu arc
I agree with all that you've said :clap: , but this caught my eye: Hasn't Krillin did the same thing and continued on doing so before the Battle of Gods took place (the placement may have been shortened to later the same year Kid Buu died in, Age 774, in DBS) and in RoF (he was rusty in that story) and in the Future Trunks Arc (where he hit rock bottom and even "normal" bullets could hurt him)? Nobody seemed to care when this happen cause he was always putted back in the front lines IN NO TIME, Yamcha had to be killed by Super Buu to train for a day or two and reached the level he rivals Krillin as the STRONGEST Human and able to easily solo Olibu and Winged Gorilla (don't care if these were fillers by Toei, it happened in real world history and was re-done in DBZ Kai).
I'm not altogether conversant with the anime, mainly having focused on the manga over the years, but do recall the Olibu fight and so forth and agree that at the very least Toei was giving ol' Yamcha some kudos there. I definitely agree that if Kuririn could come back from 'retirement' Yamcha could- and should- also. What's strange to me is the visual cue the audience is given in his attire, which is to my mind reminiscent of a martial arts master, rather than his 'retirement' yellow suit from the Buu arc/ end of Z. It just seems to me that to cement his 'non-fighter' status, the latter style of clothing would make for a clearer visual cue/ be less misleading. Still, as others have postulated he might yet come to play some role in the Super tournament... but I'm not relying on it too much, so as not to be disappointed :lol: An interesting point, to me, is that Tenshinhan has been recruited- of course, he made his 'last stands' against Cell and Buu where Yamcha didn't, but that aside- but performed rather poorly both against Roshi (yes, he was possessed, but...) and Gohan (less unexpected, but as many commented here, one might have hoped he'd pull off SOMETHING strategic, or at least put up some kind of fight rather than get one-shotted twice).

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Mon May 22, 2017 2:34 pm

Israelite Wolfman wrote:
Akyon wrote:There clearly was, but considering how these two are treated in general, it might be for the best.

I don't see why you have to be so pessimistic about the old DB Gang, Chiaotzu can sense he's stronger than these trash of a fodder and settle things by his own. The dojo student only made him step backwards for a second before he got over his so called "fear" and beat these possessed students with much ease.

Besides, the Saibaman joke of jihad act won't be repeating itself in this scenario, as there are no more Saibamen (as it seems) and the Frieza soldiers weren't suicide bombers, they came to fight in melee and ki techniques without throwing themselves as meat shell of bombs (in the Movie, Manga & Arc).

I wish Shisami would be an enemy the Humans could have overcame by working together, but he's more fitting into being Piccolo's rival while Tagoma is Gohan's.
My friend, Yamcha is my second favourite character after Krillin. I'm pesimistic because of past experiences. It's not because I think he'd actually die again nor because I don't think he could probably solo a good amount of that army on his own, but just because everyone seems to treat Yamcha so poorly. I don't mind a joke at his expense if he gets a moment to shine too though. Baseball episode is the prime example pf Yamcha both being used as a fall guy and having a genuinely badass moment. More of that please if we must have Yamcha as the butt of the jokes.

Chiaoutzu however has literally never won a fight, has the highest death toll overall(if we count Frieza blowing Earth up) and his psychic abilities are less effective at removing magic tags than using your hands. I WISH Chiaotzu's telekinetic and telepathic powers were used more effectively. Chiaoutzu could probably link all the Universe 7 warriors up mentally so they could communicate in the heat of this TOP easier, but I bet it's not even considered.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Israelite Wolfman
Banned

Post by Israelite Wolfman » Mon May 22, 2017 3:05 pm

Cypher wrote:I'm not altogether conversant with the anime, mainly having focused on the manga over the years, but do recall the Olibu fight and so forth and agree that at the very least Toei was giving ol' Yamcha some kudos there. I definitely agree that if Kuririn could come back from 'retirement' Yamcha could- and should- also. What's strange to me is the visual cue the audience is given in his attire, which is to my mind reminiscent of a martial arts master, rather than his 'retirement' yellow suit from the Buu arc/ end of Z. It just seems to me that to cement his 'non-fighter' status, the latter style of clothing would make for a clearer visual cue/ be less misleading. Still, as others have postulated he might yet come to play some role in the Super tournament... but I'm not relying on it too much, so as not to be disappointed :lol: An interesting point, to me, is that Tenshinhan has been recruited- of course, he made his 'last stands' against Cell and Buu where Yamcha didn't, but that aside- but performed rather poorly both against Roshi (yes, he was possessed, but...) and Gohan (less unexpected, but as many commented here, one might have hoped he'd pull off SOMETHING strategic, or at least put up some kind of fight rather than get one-shotted twice).
Roshi is getting overpowered for stupid reasons (in RoF to maximize the profit with toys, and now to justify his casting - but I have a feeling he will get thrown out next episode for Yamcha if I picked up the clues from the trailer right: he gets blown away from seeing Puar's girly form again - focus on his chest - and then he's not among the fighters shown to be assembled outside Bulma's house), poor Tien got minimized to justify the latter move. Yet, I agree his performances against Roshi and Gohan is a shame for his legacy.
Akyon wrote:My friend, Yamcha is my second favourite character after Krillin. I'm pesimistic because of past experiences. It's not because I think he'd actually die again nor because I don't think he could probably solo a good amount of that army on his own, but just because everyone seems to treat Yamcha so poorly. I don't mind a joke at his expense if he gets a moment to shine too though. Baseball episode is the prime example pf Yamcha both being used as a fall guy and having a genuinely badass moment. More of that please if we must have Yamcha as the butt of the jokes.

Chiaoutzu however has literally never won a fight, has the highest death toll overall(if we count Frieza blowing Earth up) and his psychic abilities are less effective at removing magic tags than using your hands. I WISH Chiaotzu's telekinetic and telepathic powers were used more effectively. Chiaoutzu could probably link all the Universe 7 warriors up mentally so they could communicate in the heat of this TOP easier, but I bet it's not even considered.
Agree with you 100% about Yamcha, I was disappointed when he won the Baseball game with that idiotic pose (could never stand that stupid meme). But they know that most of the fandom likes this bullshit and kissed up to them. They'd be throwing there a Saibaman ambushing Yamcha from the bushes if they could before this pose, which is sad for me. I never liked these lickings to the crowd (who most of them are idiots, whether if people my age whose comments I've read, or teenagers who do comparisons between DB and other animes online most of the time; e.g: "Haha Naruto is the shit, DB is stupid comparing to it!").

Chiaotzu is on tie with Krillin and Piccolo on his deaths (4 so far) if you count Frieza blowing up the Earth before Whis rewinded time ("Temporal Do-Over" as Funimation called it). I agree, as you already know, that Chiaotzu is the most wasted character in the franchise, rivaled only by King Cold himself (all eventually connects to Frieza in this franchise).

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Mon May 22, 2017 3:54 pm

Israelite Wolfman wrote:Roshi is getting overpowered for stupid reasons (in RoF to maximize the profit with toys, and now to justify his casting - but I have a feeling he will get thrown out next episode for Yamcha if I picked up the clues from the trailer right: he gets blown away from seeing Puar's girly form again - focus on his chest - and then he's not among the fighters shown to be assembled outside Bulma's house), poor Tien got minimized to justify the latter move. Yet, I agree his performances against Roshi and Gohan is a shame for his legacy.
Got a link for this trailer pal?
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.